News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

DTB Review Schedule

Started by suspsy, December 22, 2018, 12:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: Eatmycar on February 22, 2023, 01:18:31 AMI have the *original* blue one! I'd love to take that slot. Who should I communicate with further on this?

That would be me. You can email your review to the DTB address once it's finished. Please be sure that your photos are clear and show the toy from multiple angles.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoToyForum

I'm working through the "oldies" reviews and noticed we don't have any Miller toy reviews on the blog yet! If anyone has any Miller dinosaurs in their collection it would be great to plug this gap and feature some reviews of them on the site!

Quen

I've seen several requests on here for a review of the newer PNSO Mamenchisaurus. I have the figure and can review it, though my opinion of it is "meh".

suspsy

That's fine, as long as you can explain why you feel so.

EmperorDinobot

I have the new Zuniceratops from Mattel. Can I shoot it and review it after I'm done with my current list? I also got the black Moros, and I already did Moros anyways, so it would be a comparison post, short but with pictures.

Quen

Quote from: suspsy on February 23, 2023, 08:44:29 PMThat's fine, as long as you can explain why you feel so.

The body's quite nice, really, but I'm not a big fan of the face, particularly the visible teeth; though, I know others won't care as much. Also, it's lacking surface detail and texture in some areas, likely due to scale. Combine that with the plain color scheme and static pose, and it's not the most interesting figure to look at. Overall, it may be more accurate than its predecessor, but it has less character, in my opinion. 

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Quen on February 24, 2023, 08:49:54 AM
Quote from: suspsy on February 23, 2023, 08:44:29 PMThat's fine, as long as you can explain why you feel so.

The body's quite nice, really, but I'm not a big fan of the face, particularly the visible teeth; though, I know others won't care as much. Also, it's lacking surface detail and texture in some areas, likely due to scale. Combine that with the plain color scheme and static pose, and it's not the most interesting figure to look at. Overall, it may be more accurate than its predecessor, but it has less character, in my opinion. 

Sounds like the makings of a good review, go for it!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 24, 2023, 05:22:11 AMI have the new Zuniceratops from Mattel. Can I shoot it and review it after I'm done with my current list? I also got the black Moros, and I already did Moros anyways, so it would be a comparison post, short but with pictures.

Is the Moros just a repaint? If so, I think we decided to avoid repaints or colour variants on the blog. It's not a hard and fast rule, repaints have appeared on the blog over the years, but usually when there's a lot to say, or when the original review was brief.  I think there's a thread dedicated to whether repaints should appear on the blog or not, maybe it's a good idea to revisit this topic afresh.

In the Moros case, it might be simpler to append the repaint photos and a new paragraph or two to the original review, and also update the title if the repaint is part of a different sub-line? Then you can re-announce the original post so people know about the changes. However, if there is some difference in the sculpt as well as the colours, even just small changes such as points of articulation, then I think that justifies a new review. This is why I was interested to know the differences in your four Pteranodon reviews from a few weeks ago. If there are substantial differences they should be outlined.

That said, It's up for discussion, and maybe we should just open the floor for repaints after all. I'd actually be interested, for example, to see all the Invicta repaints featured.

Gwangi

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 24, 2023, 11:09:30 AM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 24, 2023, 05:22:11 AMI have the new Zuniceratops from Mattel. Can I shoot it and review it after I'm done with my current list? I also got the black Moros, and I already did Moros anyways, so it would be a comparison post, short but with pictures.

Is the Moros just a repaint? If so, I think we decided to avoid repaints or colour variants on the blog. It's not a hard and fast rule, repaints have appeared on the blog over the years, but usually when there's a lot to say, or when the original review was brief.  I think there's a thread dedicated to whether repaints should appear on the blog or not, maybe it's a good idea to revisit this topic afresh.

In the Moros case, it might be simpler to append the repaint photos and a new paragraph or two to the original review, and also update the title if the repaint is part of a different sub-line? Then you can re-announce the original post so people know about the changes. However, if there is some difference in the sculpt as well as the colours, even just small changes such as points of articulation, then I think that justifies a new review. This is why I was interested to know the differences in your four Pteranodon reviews from a few weeks ago. If there are substantial differences they should be outlined.

That said, It's up for discussion, and maybe we should just open the floor for repaints after all. I'd actually be interested, for example, to see all the Invicta repaints featured.

We've all been reviewing repaints for quite a long time now.  ;D

suspsy

I think it's okay to review repaints as long as you can think up something interesting to say about them other than simply describing their new colours. I reviewed the blue Schleich T. rex because I knew I could write a bit about the plausibility of such coloration in dinosaurs and why we don't see bright colours on modern large mammals. Would have been pretty dull otherwise.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on February 24, 2023, 12:52:59 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 24, 2023, 11:09:30 AM

We've all been reviewing repaints for quite a long time now.  ;D

;D I clearly haven't been paying proper attention!

EmperorDinobot

it's like last in my long list of reviews, so I'll make a decision once the debate is done.

Kikimalou

Hello, I made a walkaround of the TNG Wooly mammoth, is it the place to candidate for DTB ? If so, I'm condidate  :)

suspsy

Quote from: Kikimalou on March 21, 2023, 02:54:50 PMHello, I made a walkaround of the TNG Wooly mammoth, is it the place to candidate for DTB ? If so, I'm condidate  :)

Sure, go ahead.

Cretaceous Crab

I'm working on a review of the Mattel Orkoraptor.

suspsy

Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on August 31, 2023, 01:16:04 AMI'm working on a review of the Mattel Orkoraptor.

That is good. No one else has called that one.

Prehistory Resurrection

[deleted]

Prehistory Resurrection

Hello, I would like to reserve the Mattel Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous Savage Strike Slashing Yellow Velociraptor if possible. Thanks.

EmperorDinobot

I...would say go for it(?) I'm certainly not doing that, or its variant.

Prehistory Resurrection

Hello, I have a question. Are only your typical dinosaur figurines/collectibles/action figures allowed to be reviewed on the blog or also other dino-related items such as puzzles? Thanks.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: