News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blade-of-the-Moon's Art

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

I've also prepared an alternative dark version of the map in case you prefer it. PDF here: https://dinotoyblog.com/dinopark/dinosaurpark_map_dark.pdf

Blade-of-the-Moon

Love it!  Thank you again!

Ceratosaurus face sculpt and repaint almost done, just need to touch up those teeth with brush paints

Gorgosaurus juv face sculpt complete

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 08, 2023, 07:50:19 AMLove it!  Thank you again!

Ceratosaurus face sculpt and repaint almost done, just need to touch up those teeth with brush paints

Nice work!

And I can see the play area in the background. The Sinclair Dino is larger than I imagined!

I also like your Jurassic Park style buggy, is that how you get around the park?  8)

By the way, where is the Majungasaurus going to go when it is done?

Jose S.M.

That Gorgosaurus is looking great!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 08, 2023, 11:35:41 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 08, 2023, 07:50:19 AMLove it!  Thank you again!

Nice work!

And I can see the play area in the background. The Sinclair Dino is larger than I imagined!

I also like your Jurassic Park style buggy, is that how you get around the park?  8)

By the way, where is the Majungasaurus going to go when it is done?

Thanks!

Yes it's back there and slightly down the hill from where he is. It's about 4' tall I think by 7' long? It's one of the old gas station displays made of fiberglass, I just had to give it a new paint job too, kids love sitting on him. lol

Yeah when I have big repair jobs this modified riding mower hauls a trailer, with paint, tool, ladder, ect.. I just got it used last year from a friend, before that I was having to carry it all lol  I did a quick JP Explorer paint job for fun, maybe one day we will have a real Explorer here for photo ops.

I think he will go back on the new trail area? I haven't exactly decided yet. I look for what natural area will work that's back there, rocks, trees, ferns ect.. and plan around it. I do have an idea though.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Jose S.M. on March 08, 2023, 12:07:14 PMThat Gorgosaurus is looking great!

Thanks! It's a big change from the older version which looked very emaciated now. I just didn't know any better when I made it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

A small museum a few hours away closed recently and gifted us these huge rubber and foam dinosaurs, they need a lot of work, but i'm glad to give them a home.

DinoToyForum

Great! Not a patch on your own models but I bet you'll get them into shape.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 12, 2023, 02:52:02 PMGreat! Not a patch on your own models but I bet you'll get them into shape.

They are the typical Asian produced fare, normally animatronic you see them everywhere. 

I'm trying my best to figure out what to do with them, they are pretty big and despite the previous owner saying they are weatherproof I know better ;) I don't really have enough big covered areas to place them and I can't build new ones due to county restrictions. If I can't find something to put a heavy coat of protection on them ( that won't dissolve the latex/foam skin ) I'm considering maybe wrapping them in the same vinyl material I use on the others? If the heat from the heatgun won't set them on fire.. ugh.  I also don't really need another Dilophosaurus so maybe..Dracovenator?  The BIG one is supposed to be Therizinosaurus and it's sort of close in size but the general build and look is not a Theri...so I don't
 know about him. Already have a pair of Nothronychus too. Hmm...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just completed the new paint job on our Edmontosaurus. After having completed the new sculpt work on the head I think this works well, it's certainly different and that alone is getting hard to come up with.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Gorgo is finally finished, resculpted the head, fixed his tail and repainted him.

stoneage

Those are some really sharp figures!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stoneage on March 23, 2023, 02:24:49 AMThose are some really sharp figures!

Thanks bud! I'm glad they have lasted this long!

TooOldForDinosaurs

New head sculpt looks amazing!

DinoToyForum

Looking good. I know you use Apoxy Sculpt for the heads, is that waterproof or do you have to treat it with a layer of vinyl or something?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 24, 2023, 01:01:04 AMLooking good. I know you use Apoxy Sculpt for the heads, is that waterproof or do you have to treat it with a layer of vinyl or something?

The Apoxie Sculpt is great in the weather once it hardens. The only issue I've had is squirrels chewing on it. It will fade in the sun but I usually paint it anyway.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Tany frame work start

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 24, 2023, 04:24:13 AM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 24, 2023, 01:01:04 AMLooking good. I know you use Apoxy Sculpt for the heads, is that waterproof or do you have to treat it with a layer of vinyl or something?

The Apoxie Sculpt is great in the weather once it hardens. The only issue I've had is squirrels chewing on it. It will fade in the sun but I usually paint it anyway.

I do have squirrels here, too, but we also have a large hazelnut tree that might keep them distracted. We don't have a huge garden but we have enough space for one small dinosaur, so your park has inspired me to give it a go! So, I'll be rebooting my own art thread soon...

Your Tany is looking good, too. Interesting pose. I wonder if there's a way to have the neck bending to the side rather than straight forward. I know it would complicate matters.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on April 02, 2023, 04:57:21 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 24, 2023, 04:24:13 AM

I do have squirrels here, too, but we also have a large hazelnut tree that might keep them distracted. We don't have a huge garden but we have enough space for one small dinosaur, so your park has inspired me to give it a go! So, I'll be rebooting my own art thread soon...

Your Tany is looking good, too. Interesting pose. I wonder if there's a way to have the neck bending to the side rather than straight forward. I know it would complicate matters.

I've been told if you make a few extra Apoxie Sculpt pieces..like bones? and mix in chili powder they will go for them first and learn to stay away from anything similar? I haven't done it myself yet just too many pieces to make it work, I would need 500.00 work of apoxie decoys.. lol   You may also try a owl or hawk decoy, I've used them and they work as long as I move them around and don't let them get used to it. I can't wait to see your progress!

Yeah the idea is it's sitting on a rock, I wanted the head with all those tiny teeth higher than most kids could reach.  There was a way to do it before I added the wire frame. You would need to cut slits in the neck base and neck piece so they attach together like one of those wood kit puzzles. Takes a bit more planning to account for the extra wood that will slide down into each other.  Another consideration is moving it, straight like this is a bit easier to move when parts stick out to the side you have to be careful of doorways, trees sticking out as walk with it, that sort of thing. Ideally to add motion it would be best to just use foam of the plywood and carve it down. It's a lot better to manage than trying to bend 12.5 gauge steel welded fencing, but the problem I have there is sometimes if water does get in it can rot the wood and the foam will just sag with noting in it to stabilize it.  I also think I made it a bit too heavy, I added 3 4x4" blocks around two feet to make the base and wrapped it with vinyl. It held up to very strong wind yesterday but again, a pain to move. i wish I had the time to learn how to weld things, it would make it a lot easier and lighter.

DinoToyForum

By the way, I've just re-added the logo and link to the website to the DTF sidebar.

This won't mean much to readers but avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon and I have been making some sweeping changes behind the scenes at  https://backyardterrors.com, including a change of hosts and setting up a brand new website that Blade is in full control of. We've had a few hurdles to overcome along the way and the site is still under construction, but we're getting there! Check it out and please donate to the cause if you can: instructions here: https://backyardterrors.com/frequently-asked-questions/. And if you're close to Tennessee, drop by the park, it is free.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: