News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Well in the case of many theropods, like T. rex, there are so many options to choose from that one can afford to be picky. With something like Ouranosaurus, this is the first good one we've gotten since Battat's and so the missing thumb claw becomes somewhat trivial.

For me, the definitive T. rex doesn't exist yet. But some come close enough to keep me content. I have high hopes for Eofauna's.

Fembrogon

I think both avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres and avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi are accurate with their analyses. Big theropods like T. rex get more popularity, more attention, and MUCH more merchandise than the likes of Ouranosaurus, so iur perspectives can easily be skewed.

I suppose that's all the more reason we need a greater abundance of these genera available!

SidB

Quote from: Fembrogon on April 10, 2023, 11:57:21 PMI think both avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres and avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi are accurate with their analyses. Big theropods like T. rex get more popularity, more attention, and MUCH more merchandise than the likes of Ouranosaurus, so iur perspectives can easily be skewed.

I suppose that's all the more reason we need a greater abundance of these genera available!
This makes good sense. Even back in the day, so to speak, ten or more years ago, when T-rexes were no where as common as today (even though back then they were the most popular dinos, as today), we were far more indulgent and tolerant of all sorts of errors and poor design elements, likely because there weren't the crazy number of rex options then available. Look at the tolerance shown towards the Schleich tyrannosaurs over against the quick dismissal of Haolonggood's newish T-rex. Years ago it would have been hailed as a highly desirable figure, now - virtually dead silence.

Fembrogon

A couple of quick comparison shots for the Ouranosaurus with their compatriots:

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dusty Wren on April 10, 2023, 09:19:42 PM
Quote from: Sim on April 10, 2023, 08:38:12 PMI don't know about that, I think Safari or PNSO could make a definitive Tyrannosaurus.

The point is that every person has a different definition of "definitive." A figure could be perfectly scientifically accurate (whatever that even means for an animal that no human has ever laid eyes on) and still not be "definitive" for someone if they don't like the color, or the pose, or the scale that it's in, or the articulated jaw, or whatever. It might not be definitive if it costs too much, or if it's made out of resin instead of PVC.

"Definitive" is not an objective measure. It's a combination of a lot of personal preferences.

Exactly right.

Quote from: Gwangi on April 10, 2023, 10:41:52 PMWell in the case of many theropods, like T. rex, there are so many options to choose from that one can afford to be picky. With something like Ouranosaurus, this is the first good one we've gotten since Battat's and so the missing thumb claw becomes somewhat trivial.

For me, the definitive T. rex doesn't exist yet. But some come close enough to keep me content. I have high hopes for Eofauna's.

Absolutely, this is part of what I mean when I say we grade them on a curve. The Haolonggood Ouranosaurus has more errors than the best dozen or so T. rex figures, yet is largely a cause for celebration rather than complaint. The other efforts since the Battat (PNSO's mini, GeoWorld, Mattel) didn't hit my scale or aesthetic preferences, but this one is much closer to the mark.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Is there anything else wrong with the new Ouranosaurus other then the hands? I think it was cause for celebration as both options otherwise look pretty appealing, and aside from Mattel and the mini PNSO one we haven't had an Ouranosaurus in so long. It's great timing with the recent PNSO Suchomimus and both Safari Ltd and Rebor's take on Sarcosuchus. I only hope there is a more accurate Nigersaurus at some point. Safari's older one is also retired too and not sure if its available anywhere anymore.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, I believe Ouranosaurus has a pair of horns like on the Battat version, rather than the single horn on the Haolonggood figure.

Bread

Quote from: Sim on April 10, 2023, 05:24:05 PM
Quote from: Bread on April 10, 2023, 01:50:15 PMInteresting. I honestly hope for another herbivore. If it ain't broke, don't fix it type of scenario in my opinion. We've seen their past therapods, their herbivores surpass them by miles.
I think Haolonggood's best figure is still their Carcharodontosaurus, a carnivore.  I think I would be very happy with a Kentrosaurus from Haolonggood though!
I'd agree but that was at a time when GR Toys were working with them.

Their Tyrannosaurus is a let down for its hype. It's not a bad model, but heavily 90s to early 2000s aesthetic, instead of our current knowledge of Tyrannosaurus.

As avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres mentioned, numerous companies are pumping out therapods at the moment. Having Haolonggood fill in the gap by providing ornithopods definitely puts a smile on my face as I am sure others as well!

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on April 13, 2023, 04:50:30 PMavatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, I believe Ouranosaurus has a pair of horns like on the Battat version, rather than the single horn on the Haolonggood figure.

Oh wow good catch avatar_Sim @Sim . I was so hyperfocused on the errornous manus that I neglected to inspect the rest of the figure. The skull clearly shows two preorbital boeses instead of one central boss, an error that that both JWCC and JWE designs made. But not an error I'd expect a rigorous scientific reconstruction to make. I suspect the sculptor only consulted side-view skeletals when sculpting these figures, as it would be the most logical explaination as to why the second boss was excluded from the figure. Still doesn't explain the missing digits though.

So two MAJOR strikes against the figure, not looking good :-\ . I fail to see how this can be considered a "definitive" version of the genus when the Battat exists. The overall presentation and finish of the figure is sublime, but like with the Nasutoceratops, these accuracy issues holds the figure back from being the best representation of the genus in our collections.

The Battat version clearly showing two preorbital boses (along with thumb spikes). Funny how the common innacuracies with Ouranosaurus and Maiasaura are the exact opposites, the former is errornously reconstructed with only one boss, while the latter is often errornously reconstructed with two.

(Image from DTB review)

SidB

Amazing, after all these years the Battat still reigns!

Thialfi

Like you said already, Flaffy, to some people the overall presentation matters more than a thumb or boss here or there. What may seem like major flaws to some are just details to others.

I can sympathize with both sides to be honest and either way I find this Haolonggood representation very pleasing indeed. No regrets on my side for buying both colours.

Halichoeres

Well, I certainly didn't mean to start a round of dissecting this figure. Like I said, I'm happy for its release. I bought one, and even though I might in the end opt to keep the Battat on my shelf instead, I don't regret it. I'm happy to support a company that tries something different from the stock dinosaurs that everybody makes ad nauseam.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

thedeadlymoose

Quote from: SidB on April 11, 2023, 12:39:53 AM
Quote from: Fembrogon on April 10, 2023, 11:57:21 PMI think both avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres and avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi are accurate with their analyses. Big theropods like T. rex get more popularity, more attention, and MUCH more merchandise than the likes of Ouranosaurus, so iur perspectives can easily be skewed.

This makes good sense. Even back in the day, so to speak, ten or more years ago, when T-rexes were no where as common as today (even though back then they were the most popular dinos, as today), we were far more indulgent and tolerant of all sorts of errors and poor design elements, likely because there weren't the crazy number of rex options then available. Look at the tolerance shown towards the Schleich tyrannosaurs over against the quick dismissal of Haolonggood's newish T-rex. Years ago it would have been hailed as a highly desirable figure, now - virtually dead silence.

For me, I didn't feel tolerant of the mediocre Tyrannosaurus figures of a decade ago either! But I may be in the minority there. Again for me, it's as simple as that Tyrannosaurus isn't very compelling, artistically, regardless of species or accuracy. Same for the Spinosaurus and Therizinosaurus (the latter of which is one of my favorite species).

But now these last three figures have absolutely blown me away.

It's true the Ouranosaurus has some surprising flaws, but it's just so beautiful -- I happily scraped together money for both colorways and don't regret it at all. The effort is very strong for the artistic presentation, even if some scientific details were missed.

Yes, it's also one of my most wanted species, but that's just icing on the cake. I didn't get the Theri, after all.

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Really blew my mind there with the Ouranosaurus and Maiasaura bit. Wonder how that bit of a paleomeme came about? A bit unfortunate this figure continues that trend, but it may be something to tide some of us over with until PNSO does one, or Safari, CollectA, etc.

Also can't believe the Battat Ouranosaurus still holds up to this day (but well then again so does the Marx Moschops which is much older). I mean so do some of their other figures. I think another reason folks may want to opt for these newer Haolonggood figures is that they are probably more readily accessible (at least online stores). The Battat Ouranosaurus is retired and might be hard to find and/or expensive too. Could perhaps also be scale and/or coloration preferences.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Thialfi on April 13, 2023, 11:20:40 PMLike you said already, Flaffy, to some people the overall presentation matters more than a thumb or boss here or there. What may seem like major flaws to some are just details to others.

I can sympathize with both sides to be honest and either way I find this Haolonggood representation very pleasing indeed. No regrets on my side for buying both colours.

Likewise, I'm happy with my purchase as well as Ouranosaurus is one of my favourite ornithopods; with the Elrhaz formation being one of my favourite formations overall as it was home to my favourite sauropod (Nigersaurus) and spinosaurid (Suchomimus). I only went for one copy since if I had gotten the two versions, I'd be compelled to comission someone to fix both models (and funds are tight atm). That's not to say I won't be getting the other one later down the road though ;)

I decided on the green version in the end. I've always imagined Ouranosaurus as having bold stripes akin to a zebra; and I've already had my fill of bold flashy colour schemes from recent BotM shipments, so the more "soothing" colour scheme is a nice change of pace. Though I do wonder if the green version will look even better if the white stripes were outlined with black to make them pop... Any thoughts on this?

I'm sending mines off to Martin to add the missing thumb spikes. Interestingly Martin also got himself a copy and is doing the same "surgery" with his! He says he is very impressed with the orange version, which is high praise considering the work he does.

ceratopsian

I missed a trick there @Flafffy!  You must show the result when you have it back. I really want to see what he did.

For my eye, outlining the pale stripes would be too stark. But that's just me and I'm no artist. Why don't you ask for Martin's opinion?

Thialfi

Quote from: Flaffy on April 14, 2023, 02:01:36 PM
Quote from: Thialfi on April 13, 2023, 11:20:40 PMLike you said already, Flaffy, to some people the overall presentation matters more than a thumb or boss here or there. What may seem like major flaws to some are just details to others.

Likewise, I'm happy with my purchase as well as Ouranosaurus is one of my favourite ornithopods; with the Elrhaz formation being one of my favourite formations overall as it was home to my favourite sauropod (Nigersaurus) and spinosaurid (Suchomimus). I only went for one copy since if I had gotten the two versions, I'd be compelled to comission someone to fix both models (and funds are tight atm). That's not to say I won't be getting the other one later down the road though ;)

I decided on the green version in the end. I've always imagined Ouranosaurus as having bold stripes akin to a zebra; and I've already had my fill of bold flashy colour schemes from recent BotM shipments, so the more "soothing" colour scheme is a nice change of pace. Though I do wonder if the green version will look even better if the white stripes were outlined with black to make them pop... Any thoughts on this?

I'm sending mines off to Martin to add the missing thumb spikes. Interestingly Martin also got himself a copy and is doing the same "surgery" with his! He says he is very impressed with the orange version, which is high praise considering the work he does.

Ohhh I am very curious how that will turn out, be sure to keep us updated!

The idea of having the white stripes pop out with some black outlining is interesting. I have to say I do like the smooth transition between colours the green version currently sports - almost like a sort of camouflage. A black outline around the white will give it a more zebra-like appearance which doesn't sound bad at all either, especially when you consider them moving in herds over plains.

SidB

A bit of news - the new Tianzhenosaurus is now available from Lana-time-shop on eBay, both color versions, for 20.99 USD each. I just ordered the green version (AKA blue version). Also check out Dinosdragon's excellent review on Youtube.

ceratopsian

Thanks for the heads-up on the video, S @SidB.  My pair have apparently made it to the UK, so hopefully not too much longer to wait.

Quote from: SidB on April 17, 2023, 02:16:00 PMA bit of news - the new Tianzhenosaurus is now available from Lana-time-shop on eBay, both color versions, for 20.99 USD each. I just ordered the green version (AKA blue version). Also check out Dinosdragon's excellent review on Youtube.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: