News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 17, 2023, 03:04:30 PMThanks for the heads-up on the video, S @SidB.  My pair have apparently made it to the UK, so hopefully not too much longer to wait.

Quote from: SidB on April 17, 2023, 02:16:00 PMA bit of news - the new Tianzhenosaurus is now available from Lana-time-shop on eBay, both color versions, for 20.99 USD each. I just ordered the green version (AKA blue version). Also check out Dinosdragon's excellent review on Youtube.

You will hear that he is more than a bit annoyed at the gross incompleteness of the paper describing the animal. The implication is that Haolonggood's stellar work on the Tianzhenosaurus MAY be a bit and maybe more than a bit speculative in parts. Regardless, the figure is sharp looking, as usual.

Flaffy

Disappointed to learn that Tianzhenosaurus is so poorly figured despite good remains.

Hence why I would've preferred a better figured species like Saichania.

Stegotyranno420

I dont wish to sound rude nor overly critical but these are just exquisitely designed figurines that look scientifically rigorous until to examine them.

Lynx

Pinacosaurus has so many well preserved specimens and is quite unique, surprised nobody has done it besides PNSO
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on April 17, 2023, 10:18:23 PMDisappointed to learn that Tianzhenosaurus is so poorly figured despite good remains.

Hence why I would've preferred a better figured species like Saichania.
That may prove to be the case to some degree, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , though without the precise specifics due to the frustrating lapses in presentation and content in the paper to which he refers, it's sort of up in the air for the moment, unless you have further information on the matter.

postsaurischian

Quote from: SidB on April 17, 2023, 04:50:55 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on April 17, 2023, 03:04:30 PMThanks for the heads-up on the video, S @SidB.  My pair have apparently made it to the UK, so hopefully not too much longer to wait.

Quote from: SidB on April 17, 2023, 02:16:00 PMA bit of news - the new Tianzhenosaurus is now available from Lana-time-shop on eBay, both color versions, for 20.99 USD each. I just ordered the green version (AKA blue version). Also check out Dinosdragon's excellent review on Youtube.

You will hear that he is more than a bit annoyed at the gross incompleteness of the paper describing the animal. The implication is that Haolonggood's stellar work on the Tianzhenosaurus MAY be a bit and maybe more than a bit speculative in parts. Regardless, the figure is sharp looking, as usual.

HAOLONGGOOD might be annoyeded because he still calls them GR Toys :) .

If nobody would make figures of species that aren't completely known and described, there wouldn't have been any Dinosaur figures during my childhood :'( .

If he doesn't like figures of species that aren't completely known and described, he just should not buy them. It's easy.

ceratopsian

There is a skeletal mount on show at a museum somewhere in China.  I have been unable to work out which museum, but there is a photo available on Wikipedia. So more visual information might have been available to Haolonggood than to us.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 18, 2023, 08:06:51 AMThere is a skeletal mount on show at a museum somewhere in China.  I have been unable to work out which museum, but there is a photo available on Wikipedia. So more visual information might have been available to Haolonggood than to us.
That sounds promising.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 18, 2023, 07:32:56 AMIf nobody would make figures of species that aren't completely known and described, there wouldn't have been any Dinosaur figures during my childhood :'( .

If he doesn't like figures of species that aren't completely known and described, he just should not buy them. It's easy.

He wasn't annoyed that HAOLONGGOOD chose to make a figure of a species that wasn't completely known. He was annoyed that the authors of the paper mentioned that they had found a lot of fossil material that they didn't bother to describe in the paper. So, for example, the paper mentioned that they had recovered the tail club, but there was no description or diagrams of the tail club in the paper.

The paper he was referencing was published in 1988, so I don't think it's unreasonable to be a mildly annoyed that no one has bothered to describe the material more thoroughly in the intervening 35 years.
Check out my customs thread!

SidB

Quote from: DinoFan2010 on April 10, 2023, 02:09:28 PMThat Ourano is amazing despite the elephant (iguanodont?) in the room, and the Nasuto is incredible. Haolonggood is an excellent model company!
Well, I sent my Ouranosaurus to my artist friend for a rebuild of the manus and correction of the head bosses. I'm expecting it back in 6 or so weeks and I'll share the before and after  here and on my repaints thread too. It's a fine figure and worthwhile to make the corrections for a modest cost.

ceratopsian

A bit more on-line digging....  It's in the Shanxi Geological Museum, according to Jim Kirkland on Twitter.  He has a few photos.

https://twitter.com/Paleojim/status/1078779581211934720

Quote from: SidB on April 18, 2023, 12:21:54 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on April 18, 2023, 08:06:51 AMThere is a skeletal mount on show at a museum somewhere in China.  I have been unable to work out which museum, but there is a photo available on Wikipedia. So more visual information might have been available to Haolonggood than to us.
That sounds promising.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 18, 2023, 05:05:50 PMA bit more on-line digging....  It's in the Shanxi Geological Museum, according to Jim Kirkland on Twitter.  He has a few photos.

https://twitter.com/Paleojim/status/1078779581211934720

Quote from: SidB on April 18, 2023, 12:21:54 PM
That sounds promising.

That's excellent, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian . I'll check my Tianzhenosaurus against it when it reaches my door. Thank you for digging these images up, so to speak. Much appreciated.

Sim

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on April 17, 2023, 02:58:38 PM

Thanks for posting this video!  I appreciated the comparison to Saichania Dinosdragons made in the video and it's led me to believe that Tianzhenosaurus is not the same animal as Saichania.  The video has also convinced me to get the Haolonggood Tianzhenosaurus.  Its paintjob is SO good!  I'm telling myself now that I don't need both versions, but they are both so good, even if the yellow looks a lot like the PNSO Ankylosaurus (which I have) and that I would've preferred more green on the green.

Flaffy

Martin's copy of the orange Ouranosaurus with added thumb spikes. Looks spectacular.

ceratopsian

SidB

Excellent! See, no reason to give up on an otherwise splendid piece. Be positive ... this is how to do it! Well done. Hope mine turns out as well, or close.

Medzo

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on April 17, 2023, 02:58:38 PM

Whoooo. This is a huge evolvment of quality. If they keep up this work they may become first company in my eyes that can compete with PNSO.

Sim

After much consideration, I've decided to get the yellow Tianzhenosaurus.  I was initially liking the green more, it has a pleasantly unique colouration for an ankylosaurid.  I very much like the colouration on its dorsal surface.  But I wish it carried onto the rest of the animal.  I'm not fond of how it looks with the yellow on its lower parts.  The yellow Tianzhenosaurus looks more consistent to me.  My one concern was that it looked too much like the large PNSO Ankylosaurus, but after comparing them the tones are all different!  I'm very much liking the yellow Tianzhenosaurus now!

Renecito

Quote from: Sim on April 19, 2023, 04:30:24 PMAfter much consideration, I've decided to get the yellow Tianzhenosaurus.  I was initially liking the green more, it has a pleasantly unique colouration for an ankylosaurid.  I very much like the colouration on its dorsal surface.  But I wish it carried onto the rest of the animal.  I'm not fond of how it looks with the yellow on its lower parts.  The yellow Tianzhenosaurus looks more consistent to me.  My one concern was that it looked too much like the large PNSO Ankylosaurus, but after comparing them the tones are all different!  I'm very much liking the yellow Tianzhenosaurus now!

I think the Ankylosaurus shown on DinosDragons review is a repainted model.

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Sim

Yes, I was aware of that, I compared the Tianzhenosaurus to a non-repainted PNSO Ankylosaurus.  Thanks though avatar_Renecito @Renecito, for mentioning it in case I didn't know.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: