News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

Mine are ordered via AliExpress when I got home this evening.

ItsTwentyBelow

Did I see that this Pentaceratops is 24 cm long? Why is it so big?

shahinos

Great figure, yes, although unfortunately quite similar to the nasuto in patterning. I love the shield though.

I'm also a bit annoyed with the 1:35 scale which it clearly isn't. At six meters length, the scale is 1:25 (same issue I've had with all recent releases except the Ouranosaurus, which seems to actually be in 1:35 scale). I'm not very interested in having a medium sized ceratopsian that's bigger than my Eofauna triceratops.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: shahinos on April 24, 2023, 09:27:46 PMGreat figure, yes, although unfortunately quite similar to the nasuto in patterning. I love the shield though.

I'm also a bit annoyed with the 1:35 scale which it clearly isn't. At six meters length, the scale is 1:25 (same issue I've had with all recent releases except the Ouranosaurus, which seems to actually be in 1:35 scale). I'm not very interested in having a medium sized ceratopsian that's bigger than my Eofauna triceratops.

ye the scales are off , if it makes you sleep a bit better the tianzhosaurus can be used as saichania and would be 1:35 then ( theres a debate if its even just a juvenile of saichania) and the ceratopsian have animal individual variation that could make 1:30 feasable but jeah its annoying the scale isnt respected

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on April 24, 2023, 09:19:18 PMDid I see that this Pentaceratops is 24 cm long? Why is it so big?

prob to rival the pnso torosaurus;  the tianzhosaurus is also suspiciosly similar to pnso anky ( not complaining theire debatably even better)

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: shahinos on April 24, 2023, 09:27:46 PMGreat figure, yes, although unfortunately quite similar to the nasuto in patterning. I love the shield though.

Nooooooo!!!  :'(

ItsTwentyBelow

Uh oh, well, yeah if it isn't actually in 1:35 scale then I will not be buying this Pentaceratops. That kills my interest in owning it.

SidB

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 24, 2023, 10:13:16 PM

ye the scales are off , if it makes you sleep a bit better the tianzhosaurus can be used as saichania and would be 1:35 then ( theres a debate if its even just a juvenile of saichania) and the ceratopsian have animal individual variation that could make 1:30 feasable but jeah its annoying the scale isnt respected
A quick measurement shows this new Penta to be about 2-2.5 cm longer than the Papo one.

Flaffy

Thankfully I'm not too fussed on scale. But it would've been nice to have it in 1/35.

The glaring issue is the crocodilian scutes on it's back. There's no evidence of this in any ceratopsian to my knowledge. Not sure why the sculptor felt the need to add this feature. I'm not sure about the shape of the squamosal either, it looks too rectangular, when fossil evidence shows that it sort of curves "inward" as it gets closer to the quadrates. The median embayment is probably too shallow as well.

SidB

Quote from: SidB on April 24, 2023, 11:53:19 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 24, 2023, 10:13:16 PM

If one uses this Pentaceratops as a Titanoceratops, with which it is either very closely related or even synonymous, then the scale moves from the 1/25 for Haolonggood's figure to a more manageable 1/28. Considering that many of Safari's fabulous ceratopsians are in the 1/25 range, yet make great pieces to display alongside their 1/35 trike, I generally try not to be too demanding with exact scales with many of these figures, lest collecting becomes an endless series of frustrations. My general approach is that I prefer scales to be close, if not exact, but often close enough is good enough. As it has been said, "excellent is the enemy  of good enough", which approach makes the collecting life a lot easier when in an environment where I have little control if any over the sizing dynamics and philosophy of manufacturers.

Medzo

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on April 24, 2023, 11:22:57 PMUh oh, well, yeah if it isn't actually in 1:35 scale then I will not be buying this Pentaceratops. That kills my interest in owning it.

What a bummer. Same here. They almost got me.  :P

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Medzo on April 25, 2023, 08:49:11 AM
Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on April 24, 2023, 11:22:57 PMUh oh, well, yeah if it isn't actually in 1:35 scale then I will not be buying this Pentaceratops. That kills my interest in owning it.

What a bummer. Same here. They almost got me.  :P

eh i look at it like that, its basicly the pnso toro but for 35 bucks , thats a steal accuracy or not.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Flaffy on April 25, 2023, 12:01:59 AMThankfully I'm not too fussed on scale. But it would've been nice to have it in 1/35.

The glaring issue is the crocodilian scutes on it's back. There's no evidence of this in any ceratopsian to my knowledge. Not sure why the sculptor felt the need to add this feature. I'm not sure about the shape of the squamosal either, it looks too rectangular, when fossil evidence shows that it sort of curves "inward" as it gets closer to the quadrates. The median embayment is probably too shallow as well.

it truly is weird and even within reasonable assumption ( well never know exact soft tissues except for maybe some like psittacosaurus, archeopterix. stuff like the turkey like fleshpads or other soft tissue display wont ever properly fossilise so those are speculative. but pentaceratops has skin impressions so its harder. prob added for visual interrest like pnsos leguan spikes on allosaurus, torvosaurus etc

postsaurischian

Well, it didn't take long until the nagging has started ::) .
 I have the feeling companies can produce whatever they want to, some people here will always find something negative.
 ♪♫♫♪♫♫♪  I know it's only fault-finding, but I don't like it  ♪♫♫♪♫♫♪  (freely adapted from the Rolling Stones).

I don't care about scaling too much since meanwhile I have collections in every scale.
 By the way - the scale information from producers has never been correct throughout the last 50 years. You better get used to it.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 25, 2023, 10:04:34 AMWell, it didn't take long until the nagging has started ::) .
 I have the feeling companies can produce whatever they want to, some people here will always find something negative.
 ♪♫♫♪♫♫♪  I know it's only fault-finding, but I don't like it  ♪♫♫♪♫♫♪  (freely adapted from the Rolling Stones).

I don't care about scaling too much since meanwhile I have collections in every scale.
 By the way - the scale information from producers has never been correct throughout the last 50 years. You better get used to it.

it also doesnt help just how fragmentary some animals are , charcharodontosaur is a great example for it, since its just a skull mostly , its estimate can go from 10.9 to 13 meters. so both  Pnsos with 31 cm and Gr toys at 36 are accurate

Leyster

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 25, 2023, 09:48:38 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on April 25, 2023, 12:01:59 AMThankfully I'm not too fussed on scale. But it would've been nice to have it in 1/35.

it truly is weird and even within reasonable assumption ( well never know exact soft tissues except for maybe some like psittacosaurus, archeopterix. stuff like the turkey like fleshpads or other soft tissue display wont ever properly fossilise so those are speculative. but pentaceratops has skin impressions so its harder. prob added for visual interrest like pnsos leguan spikes on allosaurus, torvosaurus etc
Just pinpointing here, but it's a sightly different matter: those looks like crocodile osteoderms. If they are osteoderms, osteoderms DO fossilize not unlike bones (they have a bony core, unlinke feature scales, spikes, wattles and things like that). Since we never found osteoderms on the body of ceratopsians, despite many specimens in excellent preservation, it can be reasonably inferred they didn't have them. But I guess they could be some weird feature scales.

Anyway that Pentaceratops looks really cool, it will save me from buying the Papo. Scale is perfect to me since most of my ceratopsians are around 1:24-1:26 as well.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Medzo

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 25, 2023, 10:04:34 AMI have the feeling companies can produce whatever they want to, some people here will always find something negative.

Well, it is what it is. Until taking notice on the weird scale I had but positive things to say. But yes, since all my collection is in 1:35 I am discouraged to buy something that is in a totally different dimension.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Leyster on April 25, 2023, 11:05:44 AM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 25, 2023, 09:48:38 AM

Just pinpointing here, but it's a sightly different matter: those looks like crocodile osteoderms. If they are osteoderms, osteoderms DO fossilize not unlike bones (they have a bony core, unlinke feature scales, spikes, wattles and things like that). Since we never found osteoderms on the body of ceratopsians, despite many specimens in excellent preservation, it can be reasonably inferred they didn't have them. But I guess they could be some weird feature scales.

Anyway that Pentaceratops looks really cool, it will save me from buying the Papo. Scale is perfect to me since most of my ceratopsians are around 1:24-1:26 as well.

even with its weird quirks ( wouldnt be the first weird flaw, ouranosaurus missing its iguanodon spike, nasutoceratops horns being not correctly set.) its still basicly the size of pnso torosaurus for only 30 bucks. and the backend i just use as feature scales / " quill like " spikes for defense or smth XD

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Medzo on April 25, 2023, 12:32:15 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on April 25, 2023, 10:04:34 AMI have the feeling companies can produce whatever they want to, some people here will always find something negative.

Well, it is what it is. Until taking notice on the weird scale I had but positive things to say. But yes, since all my collection is in 1:35 I am discouraged to buy something that is in a totally different dimension.

if u have pnso quanzhosaurus or pachyrhinosaurus, sinoceratops it scales with those otherwise i get it

TheImmortalEye

so just for one which of the two colors u like more, im debating black one mostly.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: