News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PREHISTORIC PLANET

Started by dragon53, May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnotaurusKing

I'm sensing a very depressing extinction sequence on the horizon...

irimali

Quote from: Lynx on April 19, 2023, 12:37:35 PM
Quote from: Medzo on April 19, 2023, 10:00:12 AM
Quote from: Lynx on April 18, 2023, 03:11:58 PMFor whatever reason I'm just not feelin it. Gotta wait for the trailer though before I decide if I skip it or not.

I don't want to sound cocky, but what do you really mean you'd skip something like this?

Like...why? For what else would you?

There is like zero scientific media content about prehistoric animals going around anywhere. It's only 4 hours long beautifully crafted visual content.

Via not watching another prehistoric media. It's not that I don't think it's beautiful, I just don't think I'm gonna watch it when it releases as I see a lot of the same from last season. Plainly, I don't really see a need to buy another subscription of Apple TV when from what I'm seeing, it's the same environments and many of the same dinosaurs as last season.

I had a similar feeling when i saw the trailer.  Hopefully there's more variety of species between all the tyrannosaurs, dromaeosaurs, titanosaurs and azhdarchids.  I was really hoping each season would show a different portion of the mesozoic, although admittedly that would drastically increase the production cost.  If they wanted accurate jurassic or triassic environments there's nowhere they could film without the effects artists having to paint out a whole bunch of angiosperms, and having to add in a bunch of unique extinct plants.  Which sadly means we may not get an episode dedicated to non-dinosaurian triassic oddballs :( 

Gwangi

I feel like the best way to show AppleTV that we want more Prehistoric Planet covering a broader range of time and species is to support what they're providing us with now.

Jose S.M.

I feel like this second "season" was always going to happen. They released very soon after and the first part supposedly took years to be made. So maybe they ended up with lots of footage and split it to polish the writing and pacing, stuff like that. If that's the case I feel like this is what's going to decide if they continue and expand the "franchise" so not supporting it because it's from the same time period it's not going to push them to do more but hurt instead.

Fembrogon

Agreed; the only way we'll continue getting ANY more PhP is if the series remains profitable. I don't fault the crew for focusing on a specific slice of history for consistency, but if the series continues long enough I'm sure they'll need to expand, and I'm sure the crew is aware of audience's interest in other time periods.

Gwangi

I also don't understand how anyone could lament "more of the same" from Prehistoric Planet. Diversity is great but I could watch and re-watch the first season of the show and never get tired of it. The same animals doing different things sounds great to me, I'll take anything new that they have to offer. I've wanted to see dinosaurs brought to life in this way my entire life, I'm not about to take Prehistoric Planet for granted just because they're using the same time period and species. I watch nature documentaries about the same animals over and over and never get tired of those either.

Eatmycar

Quote from: Gwangi on April 27, 2023, 09:48:50 PMI also don't understand how anyone could lament "more of the same" from Prehistoric Planet. Diversity is great but I could watch and re-watch the first season of the show and never get tired of it. The same animals doing different things sounds great to me, I'll take anything new that they have to offer. I've wanted to see dinosaurs brought to life in this way my entire life, I'm not about to take Prehistoric Planet for granted just because they're using the same time period and species. I watch nature documentaries about the same animals over and over and never get tired of those either.

Absolutely agreed. I'm more than happy if they give it depth and width as opposed to hopping from location to location and period to period. If doing the Jurassic properly is such a difficult endeavor because of the foliage or budget, I'd prefer them stick to what's easier.

I think the worst tragedy would be Prehistoric Planet not going past Season 2 in an effort to push the envelope.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Gwangi on April 27, 2023, 09:48:50 PMI also don't understand how anyone could lament "more of the same" from Prehistoric Planet. Diversity is great but I could watch and re-watch the first season of the show and never get tired of it. The same animals doing different things sounds great to me, I'll take anything new that they have to offer. I've wanted to see dinosaurs brought to life in this way my entire life, I'm not about to take Prehistoric Planet for granted just because they're using the same time period and species. I watch nature documentaries about the same animals over and over and never get tired of those either.
It's not even the same animals, lmao. Most of the new teaser shows creatures that we didn't see at all in the last season. People just need to get a grip
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Gwangi

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 28, 2023, 08:56:43 PM
It's not even the same animals, lmao. Most of the new teaser shows creatures that we didn't see at all in the last season. People just need to get a grip

That is also true. Lots of new critters. Can't wait to see the Pachycephalosaurus.

Halichoeres

As much as I might wish for a spotlight on Triassic or Paleozoic stuff, I'll definitely subscribe for another month to see this. The success of PH is the best way to get PH to continue. The only thing I'm not sure about yet is whether I'll subscribe right away or wait for Season 2 of Severance, which was the only other worthwhile thing I found on Apple.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Samrukia

Lynx

Still confused why they won't just use Adasaurus instead of Velociraptor... looks great but is quite confusing when it's quite well known that this is a mistake in the first season. That's all I'll say more, anything else and I will be hit with the 'just be thankful!'

There's a lot packed into this trailer, The Triceratops look just incredible, and Hank seems to have lost a few pounds. Overall, I am probably gonna give it a watch, just depends on how the reviews are first.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

I really like the color pallets and designs of these models. I really want and need a Prehistoric Planet field guide. Like Saurian's book.

Makes me so happy to see another trailer. Like the first season, I keep rewatching it over and over again!

Quote from: Lynx on May 02, 2023, 02:22:29 PMStill confused why they won't just use Adasaurus instead of Velociraptor... looks great but is quite confusing when it's quite well known that this is a mistake in the first season.
Why is there confusion? Velociraptor is a genus that has been the most misrepresented amongst the prehistoric media for years. Of course they're going to use this genus to portray correct representation.

Not sure what is the mistake the creators and paleontologist had when using Velociraptor instead of Adasaurus? Could you or someone else elaborate?

Pliosaurking

It looks amazing, I'm very excited for this season!

Leyster

Quote from: Lynx on May 02, 2023, 02:22:29 PMStill confused why they won't just use Adasaurus instead of Velociraptor... looks great but is quite confusing when it's quite well known that this is a mistake in the first season. That's all I'll say more, anything else and I will be hit with the 'just be thankful!'
It is not "well known that this is a mistake"
https://twitter.com/TetZoo/status/1529803393891549190
https://twitter.com/TetZoo/status/1529803480763875331
and
https://twitter.com/TetZoo/status/1649066235986944003

also studies on the facies show that Djadokhta, Baruungoyot and Nemegt are not three subsequent formations, but three different habitats more or less from the same time. Since the exact datation's always been shaky, Velociraptor might end up Maastrichtian (or a lot of dinosaurs assumed to be Maastrichtian might be not so).
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Dynomikegojira

Quote from: Bread on May 02, 2023, 02:57:11 PMI really like the color pallets and designs of these models. I really want and need a Prehistoric Planet field guide. Like Saurian's book.

Makes me so happy to see another trailer. Like the first season, I keep rewatching it over and over again!

Quote from: Lynx on May 02, 2023, 02:22:29 PMStill confused why they won't just use Adasaurus instead of Velociraptor... looks great but is quite confusing when it's quite well known that this is a mistake in the first season.
Why is there confusion? Velociraptor is a genus that has been the most misrepresented amongst the prehistoric media for years. Of course they're going to use this genus to portray correct representation.

Not sure what is the mistake the creators and paleontologist had when using Velociraptor instead of Adasaurus? Could you or someone else elaborate?
The Velociraptor in Prehistoric Planet is based on undescribed velociraptorine remains found in the Nemegt Formation which as Darren Naish had already said could turn out to be a genuine Velociraptor species considering the several genera of Asian dinosaurs do seem to stretch from the Campainian to Masstricthian

Lynx

Quote from: Dynomikegojira on May 02, 2023, 03:36:18 PM
Quote from: Bread on May 02, 2023, 02:57:11 PMI really like the color pallets and designs of these models. I really want and need a Prehistoric Planet field guide. Like Saurian's book.

The Velociraptor in Prehistoric Planet is based on undescribed velociraptorine remains found in the Nemegt Formation which as Darren Naish had already said could turn out to be a genuine Velociraptor species considering the several genera of Asian dinosaurs do seem to stretch from the Campainian to Masstricthian

Velociraptorine does not equal Velociraptor, the group has several creatures within it. At the end of the day, it would be far more concrete to simply call it Velociraptorine or if they so please, Unnamed Velociraptor relative, just as they did with the troodontid. Currently, it's most agreed upon (or as far as I know, haven't checked paleo news in a while) that the Flaming Cliffs formation was several million years beforehand.

I hadn't been aware that there were remains beyond Adasaurus there, as well.
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

Quote from: Leyster on May 02, 2023, 03:31:09 PM
Quote from: Lynx on May 02, 2023, 02:22:29 PMStill confused why they won't just use Adasaurus instead of Velociraptor... looks great but is quite confusing when it's quite well known that this is a mistake in the first season. That's all I'll say more, anything else and I will be hit with the 'just be thankful!'
It is not "well known that this is a mistake"
https://twitter.com/TetZoo/status/1529803393891549190
https://twitter.com/TetZoo/status/1529803480763875331
and
https://twitter.com/TetZoo/status/1649066235986944003

also studies on the facies show that Djadokhta, Baruungoyot and Nemegt are not three subsequent formations, but three different habitats more or less from the same time. Since the exact datation's always been shaky, Velociraptor might end up Maastrichtian (or a lot of dinosaurs assumed to be Maastrichtian might be not so).

"We simply couldn't call it a velociraptorine", but why? Again, there's nothing extremely concrete for it to be velociraptor (for now), it seems a little less like 'we are calling it Velociraptor because of a concept' and more like they are trying to feature popular species.
An oversized house cat.

Leyster

Quote from: Lynx on May 02, 2023, 03:47:37 PMCurrently, it's most agreed upon (or as far as I know, haven't checked paleo news in a while) that the Flaming Cliffs formation was several million years beforehand.
The study on the facies is this, and says otherwise. Keep in mind that it has been widely accepted, it's not some fringe reasearch.
Quote"We simply couldn't call it a velociraptorine", but why?
Ask Naish, he'll be probably happy to answer you.
QuoteAgain, there's nothing extremely concrete for it to be velociraptor (for now)
Sorry, but have you examined said specimen or ran some analyses to say so?
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Lynx

Quote from: Leyster on May 02, 2023, 04:42:24 PM
Quote from: Lynx on May 02, 2023, 03:47:37 PMCurrently, it's most agreed upon (or as far as I know, haven't checked paleo news in a while) that the Flaming Cliffs formation was several million years beforehand.
The study on the facies is this, and says otherwise. Keep in mind that it has been widely accepted, it's not some fringe reasearch.
Quote"We simply couldn't call it a velociraptorine", but why?
Ask Naish, he'll be probably happy to answer you.
QuoteAgain, there's nothing extremely concrete for it to be velociraptor (for now)
Sorry, but have you examined said specimen or ran some analyses to say so?

I have not. But when there's no papers out to the public, from what I am seeing, that says 'yes, this is most definitely velociraptor', then nothing is extremely concrete. I never said it was impossible, nor that there is no base to it, merely that, from what information the public does have, it isn't extremely concrete. The last response seems quite salty, and on that note I am unsure why.

The paper is also locked, thus I can't really read much beyond the brief abstract. I have never heard of this theory before, last time I brought up Velociraptor and Tarbosaurus coexisting, I was quickly told they were from far different time periods and was incorrect, from several people, though obviously not experts, thus I probably should have done research myself prior.
An oversized house cat.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: