News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PREHISTORIC PLANET

Started by dragon53, May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynomikegojira

Friar Tuck returns

Lynx

Quote from: Medzo on April 19, 2023, 10:00:12 AM
Quote from: Lynx on April 18, 2023, 03:11:58 PMFor whatever reason I'm just not feelin it. Gotta wait for the trailer though before I decide if I skip it or not.

I don't want to sound cocky, but what do you really mean you'd skip something like this?

Like...why? For what else would you?

There is like zero scientific media content about prehistoric animals going around anywhere. It's only 4 hours long beautifully crafted visual content.

Via not watching another prehistoric media. It's not that I don't think it's beautiful, I just don't think I'm gonna watch it when it releases as I see a lot of the same from last season. Plainly, I don't really see a need to buy another subscription of Apple TV when from what I'm seeing, it's the same environments and many of the same dinosaurs as last season.
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

There is no point in me buying something I feel like I won't enjoy or don't have confidence in, regardless of how good the cgi is.
An oversized house cat.

shahinos

Quote from: Lynx on April 19, 2023, 12:38:08 PMThere is no point in me buying something I feel like I won't enjoy or don't have confidence in, regardless of how good the cgi is.

I'm not gonna encourage anything, but there are countless sites where you can watch the show for free.

Lynx

Quote from: shahinos on April 19, 2023, 01:23:36 PM
Quote from: Lynx on April 19, 2023, 12:38:08 PMThere is no point in me buying something I feel like I won't enjoy or don't have confidence in, regardless of how good the cgi is.

I'm not gonna encourage anything, but there are countless sites where you can watch the show for free.

Which is pirating and stealing from the creators.
An oversized house cat.

Jose S.M.

I think they used the familiar animals to have enough footage for a teaser without showing too much and save most of the reveals for either the film trailer or the show itself. We still see like 7 new animals (Rapetosaurus, the 2 small feathered theropods, Isisaurus, the swimming bird, the marine reptiles might be new too, an Alamosaurus corpse and there's pachycephalosaur footage too in the Apple TV site and Tarchia on Twitter).

I don't mind seeing animals from season 1 if they are doing new things. Here we have Hatzegopterix with a mate, Tyrannosaurus facing Quetzalcoatlus, Ornithomimus in an "action scene" and the official image hints Nanuqsaurus with offspring.

I'm still excited for this. Actually this teaser ( if there's a full trailer) shows lots of animas while the original was just Tyrannosaurus and baby turtles.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Lynx on April 19, 2023, 12:37:35 PM
Quote from: Medzo on April 19, 2023, 10:00:12 AM
Quote from: Lynx on April 18, 2023, 03:11:58 PMFor whatever reason I'm just not feelin it. Gotta wait for the trailer though before I decide if I skip it or not.

I don't want to sound cocky, but what do you really mean you'd skip something like this?

Like...why? For what else would you?

There is like zero scientific media content about prehistoric animals going around anywhere. It's only 4 hours long beautifully crafted visual content.

Via not watching another prehistoric media. It's not that I don't think it's beautiful, I just don't think I'm gonna watch it when it releases as I see a lot of the same from last season. Plainly, I don't really see a need to buy another subscription of Apple TV when from what I'm seeing, it's the same environments and many of the same dinosaurs as last season.
But there is plenty of new things, new scenarios, new dinosaurs, new regions, etc.  I mean you don't need to worry about paying either, I am sure someone on the forum is kind enough to share the subscription

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on April 19, 2023, 03:39:59 PMBut there is plenty of new things, new scenarios, new dinosaurs, new regions, etc.  I mean you don't need to worry about paying either, I am sure someone on the forum is kind enough to share the subscription
Exactly. Just from this short teaser, I can already tell there is an abundance of new scenarios, prehistoric fauna, and environments. Even if there are some returning (or continuing) prehistoric fauna present from season 1, I don't see the issue regarding this. A slight assumption, but an abundance of fans wanted to see more segments regarding their favorites. So returning "stars" would be welcomed greatly.

avatar_Lynx @Lynx I'll definitely be running another subscription through Apple TV when this is released. I wouldn't mind sharing, but I have to be sure there won't be any of my personal information available to anyone if I do share said account.

I offered this the last time but it seemed everyone else just ran a free trial so sharing was avoided.

postsaurischian

Old-fashioned as I am I would still like to have this on Blu-ray, willing to pay much more than for an Apple TV subscription.
 Come on Apple, think about it!

Carnoking

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 19, 2023, 04:14:36 PM

Old-fashioned as I am I would still like to have this on Blu-ray, willing to pay much more than for an Apple TV subscription.
 Come on Apple, think about it!

I agree! A home media release packed with behind the scenes extras is a need!

Pachyrhinosaurus

Agreed with those above. I don't do streaming services so the only way I'll see Prehistoric Planet is if it ever comes out on DVD/Blu-ray or if it airs on regular TV. I don't feel the need for all these new platforms when I was already content with cable TV and physical media. The program looks good though, and I'd like to see it at some point.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Mellow Stego

I'm gonna do the same thing I did for the first Prehistoric Planet. Subscribe to Apple + right when the show comes out then watch it repeatedly for a month then cancel my subscription and wait (hopefully) for a Blu ray set.
It's not that I'm against Apple or anything, it's just I already have a bunch of other subs to streaming channels and there really isn't anything else on on Apple+ I'd watch.

That being said I'm super excited for this!
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Paleo Flo

I would alsolove to see this, but I won't subscribe to Apple. I would like to have it on Blu-ray too. I'm a kind of old shool here, but I avoid streaming portals.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

CarnotaurusKing

This can only come soon enough after the disastrous Channel 5 dinosaur documentary. Glad we're seeing Pachycephalosaurus, the Indian subcontinent, and more of the Madagascan fauna. Hoping for crocodilians, the Horseshoe Canyon formation, and more oviraptorosaurs. Would also like to see herbivores fending off, or defeating, carnivores.

Unpopular opinion:
Spoiler
The narration in the first season was rather basic and lacklustre in my opinion. Compare this to Walking with Dinosaurs, where the narration was much more subtle, and even poetic in places. This is no fault of Sir Attenborough, more the writers. Hope this improves a little this time around.
Same goes for the music. It felt too action movie-y and generic. I can successfully distinguish two or three of the tracks from the first season. This is another area where it's trumped by Walking with Dinosaurs. Wouldn't mind hearing more tribal sounds. Something like "Torosaurus Lock Horns" from the WwD OST would be swell.
These are very minor quibbles though, Prehistoric Planet is still a solid 9/10.
[close]

Medzo

You can't really compete with WwD main theme. That sh@it almost hit like the Jurassic Park theme at the time.

Still in my ears. And the scene when the screen opens up for the long herd of diplodocuses... *goosebumps*

This show could really use something similar cinematic and suspenseful cuts for sure.

HD-man

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 18, 2023, 07:06:52 PMHence I propose the male we saw in S1 was actually a sneaky male this whole time and Attenborough just didn't tell us

Maybe, but it seems more likely "that both the male and female are banded during 'off-season' and then during mating season the plumage on the male develops further until it's a full colouration like in the teaser, before returning to the banding afterwards" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFEiTfpl7m8&lc=Ugy9o-qTDYnG6b7h8bJ4AaABAg ).

Quote from: MLMjp on April 18, 2023, 03:20:56 PMBaby Velociraptor!
Quote from: Duna on April 18, 2023, 05:07:12 PMOhmygod! A BABY VELOCIRAPTOR? You have won me!!  ^-^  ^-^ I would rewatch the series again only for that amazing Velociraptor ....

I'm waiting for further confirmation before getting too excited, but based on the adult's foot, I think/hope so too! It'd be nice to see some raptor family values in PhP ;) Many ppl think of eudromaeosaurs as fearsome predators, but they were also caring parents: https://www.deviantart.com/jd-man/journal/SD-Saurian-Dakotaraptor-follow-up-931708639

Quote from: Dynomikegojira on April 19, 2023, 11:54:15 AMFriar Tuck returns

I especially like the colors. They remind me of the Pachys in Dixon's The Big Book of Dinosaurs: A Natural History of the Prehistoric World ( https://chasmosaurs.com/2020/02/11/vintage-dinosaur-art-the-big-book-of-dinosaurs-part-2/ ), which I reviewed: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3748558779

Quote from: Medzo on April 20, 2023, 09:17:09 AMAnd the scene when the screen opens up for the long herd of diplodocuses... *goosebumps*

*herd of Diplodocus... ;)
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Fembrogon

I just came across these images on Discord:

Didn't know North America was a biome, but whatever.  :))

Species dimorphism?

Bread

It's a little off-putting when "Swamps" episode has an introduction with "drought-stricken basic where much has perished"

Personally, with desert and badlands, and possibly North America, featuring deserts or drought like areas, I would have preferred Swamps to be flourishing with life, and not just prehistoric animals.

I also hope that means if Hell Creek is featured, that it is given a swamp like appearance and not a dry, volcanic scenario as we see in WWD.

Dynomikegojira

I'm happy with the titles although Im laughing that North America is getting it's own episode and Appalachia probably still won't get featured.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: