News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

I was thinking exactly the same!  Patience might be a virtue, but mine is sadly wearing thin - it's making me feel a bit like a child again rather than a mature adult of a "certain age"!  I just want to see the whole thing!

Quote from: Bread on May 11, 2023, 03:15:15 PMTomorrow will mark the exact week after the sneak peek of the Apatosaurus. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get the full reveal. Curious to see this beauty in its full glory!

Sim

Megalosaurus does not have good remains.  As for the Haolonggood Apatosaurus, I'm keen to see it too, but I also think what has been shown so far is good, it looks like something brilliant is coming.

Gwangi

I don't care if Megalosaurus doesn't have good remains. It is a historically important dinosaur that should be well represented. As it is I still only have the Invicta model. I would love to see one from PNSO, Haolonggood, or Safari. I don't like CollectA's.

I don't know if I'm alone in this but for me, dinosaurs known from scant remains should be particularly important if they have scientific and historical significance. It is for this reason that I also advocate for American east coast dinosaurs. But I also realize that not all dinosaur nerds are also history buffs and the history of paleontology is as interesting to me as the dinosaurs themselves.

Bread

Quote from: Gwangi on May 11, 2023, 04:30:52 PMI don't know if I'm alone in this but for me, dinosaurs known from scant remains should be particularly important if they have scientific and historical significance. It is for this reason that I also advocate for American east coast dinosaurs. But I also realize that not all dinosaur nerds are also history buffs and the history of paleontology is as interesting to me as the dinosaurs themselves.
Definitely not alone. A large part of the community wants a perfect Megalosaurus regardless if it is fragmentary since it is an important prehistoric history piece!

Sorry CollectA...

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on May 10, 2023, 04:04:33 PMThe stegosaur has me excited too, I hope it will be Kentrosaurus or Gigantspinosaurus.
Either of those would be great!  I'd prefer Kentrosaurus but I would be happy to have a Gigantspinosaurus with the shoulder spikes opposite to those of CollectA's which I'm confident have been placed upside-down, contrary to what Tracy Ford claims.  There's one other stegosaurian I'd like from Haolonggood too, but I'll wait until they reveal their stegosaurian before saying it...

ceratopsian

I too place a value on the history of palaeontology.

Thialfi

Stegotyranno420

The wait is making me anxious, i just wish to see it.

postsaurischian

SidB

Here's hoping that the fleshed out figure includes a generous post-skeletal tail whip.

Flaffy

On Papo vs Haolonggood Pentaceratops:

Plenty of variation as you can see, I see no reason to why the Papo and Haolonggood versions can't coexist on the same shelf :)) .
Though it is to be noted that crushing/deformation can be a factor especially when it comes to skull length.

Of course, Haolonggood's version is certainly the more scientifically accurate out of the two, especially since they've corrected the manus anatomy from their previous ceratopsid release (Nasutoceratops had errornously painted digits IV & V). Papo's digits are obviously more Jurassic Park-esque in true Papo fashion, and digit I on the hindfeet is incorrectly sculpted, making it seem like a dewclaw when in life it would've been a weight bearing digit.

The EM on both are unfortunately very shallow, not representative of fossil material which displays an obvious dip in the middle. Papo's episquamosal 1s are a much more reasonable size compared to the oversized ones seen on Haolonggood's.

Chasmosaurines tend to develop these distinctive "humps" over their shoulders, and Papo's figure displays this feature very clearly, though perhaps a bit too exaggerated, still interesting nonetheless. Haolonggood's also has this feature albiet more reasonably hidden under healthy layers of soft tissue. (Note: the "Kirtland chasmosaurine" as shown in GAT's skeletal may or may not be Pentaceratops)

And then there's the more aesthetic stuff like integument, colour and pose. Integument both have pros and cons, Papo still strikes me as a bit too mammalian, but Haolonggood has the odd crocodilian hip osteoderms. I personally prefer Haolonggood's in all 3 aspects, but I do recognise that the Papo Pentaceratops is one of their better recent figures, massively saved by it's flexibility to have 2 interchangeable poses (Giganotosaurus take notes O:-) ).

SidB

As far as I'm concerned, another virtue of the Haolonggood Pentaceratops is the absence of lower jaw articulation. I don't find it a visual asset on either the PNSO Triceratops or Torosaurus. In fact it's one (not the only) reason why Doug Watson's trike continues to be my favorite rendition of that genus.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: SidB on May 10, 2023, 11:48:04 AM
Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on May 06, 2023, 05:00:41 PM
Quote from: SidB on May 06, 2023, 04:55:16 AMAh, Apatosaurus! For me, this will fill the void left when the Carnegie Collection ended in 2015, just short of 2016 , when the rumored Forest Rogers Apatosaurus was to be released, but obviously never was. We've needed a full-sized (1/35-1/40) scientifically accurate one for many years. The Papo one is a subadult and Safari's excellent 2010 figure is simply too small.
I wonder if that rumored Carnegie Apato ever actually made it far in the sculpting process
Personally, avatar_TheCambrianCrusader @TheCambrianCrusader , I can't recollect any other comments being made on the Forum in this respect, other than rumors about the Apatosaurus. I'd suggest that our resident authority on the Carnegie line, D @Dinoguy2 , would be the individual to ask. If anyone were to know, it would be hom, IMO. You could also check out his site.

I personally doubt the Apatosaurus was ever sculpted. But I'd be happy to be wrong. My thinking is this: First, Rogers often posted photos of in-progress models and afaik this has never appeared. Second, I would assume anything she sculpted would be under contract to ensure she is paid for her work and the companies can recoup her salary with revenue from the figure. I think it became clear early on that the contract between Safari and Carnegie would not be renewed past its 2015 end date. If you look back at posts from this forum there were people in the loop (retailers etc.) who basically confirmed that both the new Velociraptor and new T. rex were both 2014 releases. It was very last minute that word came along saying the Velociraptor had been delayed. My belief is that when it became clear the contract negotiations were going poorly, Safari abruptly delayed Velociraptor so they would have a figure which had already been produced to fill the 2015 spot, and so they would not have to cover the cost of sculpting the planned 2015 and 2016 figures (likely new Apatosaurus and maybe Stegosaurus based on what Rogers has said).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SidB

Basilosaurus

Hoping for the Apatosaurus to release any day now! I believe that this will be one of (if not THE) best figures released this year alongside rebors dippy! What a great time for Diplodocidae!

postsaurischian

Quote from: Basilosaurus on May 16, 2023, 11:15:59 AMHoping for the Apatosaurus to release any day now! I believe that this will be one of (if not THE) best figures released this year alongside rebors dippy! What a great time for Diplodocidae!

I also can't wait to see what it will look like :) .
I have cancelled my pre-order for the REBOR Diplodocus though, because I didn't like the in-hand pictures I saw. Maybe I'll change my mind again the other day.

Basilosaurus

For the REBOR Diplodocus I got a really good preorder deal for USD 40 total as I have a friend who owns a supplier. I do think though, that this Apatosaurus will be a far better quality. A bit of a shame that rebor couldn't quite match their quality of the Diplodocus to their Deinosuchus standard  (looks to be similar quality to the W dragon Giraffatitan) - although I could be wrong.

Flaffy

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 16, 2023, 02:55:15 PM
Quote from: Basilosaurus on May 16, 2023, 11:15:59 AMHoping for the Apatosaurus to release any day now! I believe that this will be one of (if not THE) best figures released this year alongside rebors dippy! What a great time for Diplodocidae!

I also can't wait to see what it will look like :) .
I have cancelled my pre-order for the REBOR Diplodocus though, because I didn't like the in-hand pictures I saw. Maybe I'll change my mind again the other day.

Rebor's Diplodocus has some very odd forelimb musculature imo. Almost looks like it's suffering from oedema.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Takama alerted me to this pic :

Grey looks nice on it, but I do want to see the other color scheme first.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: