News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 11, 2023, 11:47:32 PMI think a dicynodont is the most likely. I'm thinking Placerias since they're the most popular. They're more rhino-like in appearance than all the other popular dicynodont species.

I would be very happy with a Safari dicynodont, and the part about looking like a weird rhino certainly fits. Still, I'd be surprised just because referring to tusks as horns feels like a big stretch.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Yes, whoever heard of referring to tusks as horns? But I would dearly love another dicynodont to go with my CollectA Lisowicia.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Saarlooswolfhound

I had the same concern for tusks v horns. But both would be welcome productions.

Thialfi

Since it doesn't seem to be a Cenozoic animal, that rules out a lot of options. I can't really come up with any two-horned prehistoric non-dinosaurs beyond Shringasaurus, which already has a beautiful representation by Safari and doesn't give off a rhinoceros vibe, and Estemmenosuchus, which does have the bulk to superficially give off a rhino vibe. I am beyond curious and excited for the reveal!

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Thialfi on May 12, 2023, 03:43:21 PMSince it doesn't seem to be a Cenozoic animal, that rules out a lot of options.

That was my thinking, too. Estemmenosuchus had a nub on its snout but it doesn't really come off as rhino-looking to me, especially E. mirabilis with its horns.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Thialfi

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 12, 2023, 05:13:48 PM
Quote from: Thialfi on May 12, 2023, 03:43:21 PMSince it doesn't seem to be a Cenozoic animal, that rules out a lot of options.

That was my thinking, too. Estemmenosuchus had a nub on its snout but it doesn't really come off as rhino-looking to me, especially E. mirabilis with its horns.
I agree, it's definitely a little far-fetched, I'm just stumped for any other options. Love the guessing game though!

Renecito

Quote from: Thialfi on May 12, 2023, 06:37:36 PM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 12, 2023, 05:13:48 PM

I agree, it's definitely a little far-fetched, I'm just stumped for any other options. Love the guessing game though!

to continue the guessing game a silhouette would be nice.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Shane

Quote from: Renecito on May 12, 2023, 07:19:00 PMto continue the guessing game a silhouette would be nice.

It'll be a little while before this gets a proper reveal. There are a few other items scheduled to be shown first, later this month.

I think the mention was just dropped as a bit of a tease, but I would anticipate early next month for the proper unveiling of the next prehistoric figure.

Also, just as an aside, it's amusing in the current era of reveals, people are now longing for silhouettes and other teases. I remember how much those were bemoaned in past years. Not a complaint! Just an amusing observation.

Renecito

Regarding teasers I prefer a complete silhouette to a picture of a small part of the figure.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Halichoeres

Quote from: Thialfi on May 12, 2023, 03:43:21 PMSince it doesn't seem to be a Cenozoic animal, that rules out a lot of options. I can't really come up with any two-horned prehistoric non-dinosaurs beyond Shringasaurus, which already has a beautiful representation by Safari and doesn't give off a rhinoceros vibe, and Estemmenosuchus, which does have the bulk to superficially give off a rhino vibe. I am beyond curious and excited for the reveal!
Well, we don't know it's definitely a Cenozoic mammal, but I don't think we know it definitely isn't either. In any event it seems we'll know in a couple of weeks and for now I'm out of guesses!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TheCambrianCrusader

All this talk about a possible stem-mammal is getting me WAY too hyped lol. I'd prefer Placerias over Estemmenosuchus, but I'd be ecstatic with either

SBell

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on May 16, 2023, 05:12:25 PMAll this talk about a possible stem-mammal is getting me WAY too hyped lol. I'd prefer Placerias over Estemmenosuchus, but I'd be ecstatic with either

It's all making me think that a Moschops is truly needed

Ikessauro

Quote from: Shane on May 12, 2023, 08:30:24 PMAlso, just as an aside, it's amusing in the current era of reveals, people are now longing for silhouettes and other teases. I remember how much those were bemoaned in past years. Not a complaint! Just an amusing observation.

I sure would prefer no silhouettes are revealed. Even teasers in text are annoying if given too much in advance. Teasers should only be shown within a week of the reveal, IMO. Just keep the secret and reveal it at the appropriate time. What is annoying is revealing a teaser and then waiting 4 months to get the actual reveal.

Flaffy

Quote from: Ikessauro on May 17, 2023, 12:02:11 AM
Quote from: Shane on May 12, 2023, 08:30:24 PMAlso, just as an aside, it's amusing in the current era of reveals, people are now longing for silhouettes and other teases. I remember how much those were bemoaned in past years. Not a complaint! Just an amusing observation.

I sure would prefer no silhouettes are revealed. Even teasers in text are annoying if given too much in advance. Teasers should only be shown within a week of the reveal, IMO. Just keep the secret and reveal it at the appropriate time. What is annoying is revealing a teaser and then waiting 4 months to get the actual reveal.

I've come to conclude the same as well. It's not the method that's the "issue", but the length of time from a teaser to the actual reveal. I don't see anyone complaining about Eofauna's letter-slot peaks before the full reveal, because the whole process usually takes place within a week. Similarly Haolonggood's been doing body part teasers and revealing the full thing in a couple of days post-teasers (Apatosaurus being the exception, and hopefully not the norm in for the company).

CollectA does reveals perfectly imo. Just giving them straight up, every week, at a set and predictable pace/time, until all new releases are revealed. No meandering, just good old up front reveals.

ceratopsian

I think a week is the outer limit of comfort for me.  I prefer a couple of days from teaser to reveal.  If I wait too long, the whole thing slips to the back of my mind and the excitement is lost - which is counterproductive for the firm in terms of what their publicity is trying to achieve.  (And I'm very glad the Haolonggood Apatosaurus finally went up today - that must have been getting not much short of two weeks.)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 17, 2023, 08:28:40 AMI think a week is the outer limit of comfort for me.  I prefer a couple of days from teaser to reveal.  If I wait too long, the whole thing slips to the back of my mind and the excitement is lost - which is counterproductive for the firm in terms of what their publicity is trying to achieve.  (And I'm very glad the Haolonggood Apatosaurus finally went up today - that must have been getting not much short of two weeks.)

That's a problem with everything I'm afraid. I've certainly noted my attention span is shorter than it used to be and the slew of new stuff coming out is overwhelming.

Shane

To be fair, in this case, there was just a very minor aside dropped on social media in response to a comment. It wasn't exactly an official "tease", just someone who decided to answer a comment and then the community commenced to speculation.

ceratopsian

Indeed, S @Shane.  I wasn't counting this info snippet as a tease.  For me a tease is a silhouette/photo of tiny portion etc!

Quote from: Shane on May 17, 2023, 04:51:54 PM

To be fair, in this case, there was just a very minor aside dropped on social media in response to a comment. It wasn't exactly an official "tease", just someone who decided to answer a comment and then the community commenced to speculation.

suspsy

I too am not at all fond of the sheer length of time with which Safari has dragged out its reveals in the past. But they do seem to have improved somewhat on that front this year.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dilopho

I remember in 2017(?) when they basically just revealed everything at once and it was fun refreshing the website every few minutes and seeing something new

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: