News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

SidB's Collection Thread

Started by SidB, March 17, 2023, 08:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 13, 2023, 04:02:13 PMS @SidB What that moa in the back there?
avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono, check out Dino Dad reviews - it's a resin piece by Mike Eischen of Paleo-Sculpture. There's a fair number of his figures in the display, virtually all 1/35, a couple 1/40.

SidB

CollectA's Lythronax, a feathered rendition that I really like. Depending on a projected length of 16 to 26 feet, this gives a scale of 1/26 to 1/42, which will allow my 1/35 or so  scale displays to accommodate it.

A flock of Struthiomimus from CollectA:

Scurrying past the rex pack on the display shelf for my Tyrannosaurs, probably not a good spot to call home:

These little figures work out at 1/35-1/40, depending on the choice of species.

Lynx

The display looks very nice with them! Out of curiosity, how much did the flock cost in total?
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Quote from: Lynx on May 15, 2023, 01:45:02 PMThe display looks very nice with them! Out of curiosity, how much did the flock cost in total?
Not too expensive, avatar_Lynx @Lynx - from five to eight USD each, from various sources.

ceratopsian

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 15, 2023, 08:13:55 PMThey look good as a flock
It's a natural association, isn't it. Besides, one would have been lost.

postsaurischian

The Struthiomimus is a wonderful figure. One of those figures that make CollectA special.
 I'm also using it for my 1:35 collection .... and yes, they do look good as a flock :) .

SidB

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 15, 2023, 08:23:47 PMThe Struthiomimus is a wonderful figure. One of those figures that make CollectA special.
 I'm also using it for my 1:35 collection .... and yes, they do look good as a flock :) .
Even though CollectA has been around for a while, and I too, it's only during the past year or two that I've really come to appreciate their merits and my acquisitions are slowly starting to reflect this, avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian . I echo the sentiments of more than a few people that we need more smaller dinosaurs in this size range. CollectA is probably the likely source of these if they materialize.

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on May 15, 2023, 09:58:45 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on May 15, 2023, 08:23:47 PMThe Struthiomimus is a wonderful figure. One of those figures that make CollectA special.
Even though CollectA has been around for a while, and I too, it's only during the past year or two that I've really come to appreciate their merits and my acquisitions are slowly starting to reflect this, avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian . I echo the sentiments of more than a few people that we need more smaller dinosaurs in this size range. CollectA is probably the likely source of these if they materialize.

Still hoping CollectA will repaint the Struthiomimus. That sculpt deserves a better paint job.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on May 16, 2023, 12:35:30 AM
Quote from: SidB on May 15, 2023, 09:58:45 PM

Still hoping CollectA will repaint the Struthiomimus. That sculpt deserves a better paint job.
As you will no doubt remember, there were a number of sculpts from the CollectA inventory of that epoch that had a similar scheme, such as the Lythronax in my post. Safari has taken a similar approach with their use of color over the last several years, though apparently that's come to an end. Certainly the Struthiomimus would look good in a showier display of feathers.

SidB

I thought that I'd dig deep into my storage closet and grab something from the deep past, an almost forgotten epoch of collecting. If Invicta represents the ultimate and final expression of the Marx concept, then perhaps the Royal Ontario Museum line was its penultimate one. Over the years I picked these up, one or sometimes two at a time, from the Value Village thrift shops here in Toronto, though none recently of course.

Here's the line-up, mostly in grey, with a couple of greens, with one knockoff (the whiteish Chasmosaurus) thrown in. Never an extensive group, , but it included some interesting choices and it was sponsored by our very own museum here in Toronto, a phenomenon that's pretty much finished now. Museums don't get involved too much with this sort of thing anymore. Perhaps the public is no longer impressed with the association with public institutions (postmodernity - who knows), but the ROM figures bring back some happy collecting memories.

Some close-ups:

Lambeosaurus

Parasaurolophus

Diplodocus

Albertosaurus

Chasmosaurus (sure wish that some company would make an updated model of this figure)

Stegosaurus

Pteranodon, with a bit of nibbling on a wing tip

And finally, Stenopterygius, a bit chewed (don't know what it was that induced youngsters to nibble on these - can't be the taste/ I've got two, both chewed)

Thanks for checking these out, it was fun for me to find them and share with anyone interested.

Libraraptor

BlueKrono

I have a fondness for the ROM figures as well. The Lambeosaurus is my favorite. I have both colors, and they hobnob with my other interesting hadrosaurs like Tsintaosaurus and Olorotitan.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ceratopsian

A charming retro group. I'm pulled to the Lambeosaurus too. It's that wonderfully curious uptilt of the head.

I can theorise why museums don't get involved in creating their own line of figures these days but I feel the lack.

SidB

Pliosaurking

Very nice figures, I might have to track a few down!

SidB

Quote from: Pliosaurking on May 22, 2023, 03:35:15 PMVery nice figures, I might have to track a few down!
Happy hunting. See if you can get a fishing lizard that hasn't been nibbled on!

SidB

Cenozoic Rhino collection -

1/35 scale CollectA Paraceratherium ,TNG Elasmotherium, Mike Eischen's Teleoceros and 1/40 Coelodonta

Larger scale rhinos -

CollectA Elasmotherium, Safari Missing Links Coeodonta, Wild Republic Coelodonta

Wooly Rhinos: Papo, Wild Safari, Bullyland and AAA

Bird's-eye view -

Concavenator

The CollectA Struthiomimus is interesting. Ornithomimids are criminally overlooked.

SidB

Quote from: Concavenator on May 23, 2023, 11:31:33 PMThe CollectA Struthiomimus is interesting. Ornithomimids are criminally overlooked.
If companies simply won't produce small single ornithomimids, then they could consider grouping them as a flock on a single base. One can hope.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: