News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

SidB's Collection Thread

Started by SidB, March 17, 2023, 08:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

The first installment of my 1/20-1/25 Mammoth collection. Again, like the big cats, never a group which I deliberately set to acquire, but over the years I've accumulated these standard figures and, being fond of them, they've survived various off-loadings of unwanted and surplus pieces.

Top - left-to-right: Bullyland adult, Papo adult; Bottom - Schleich calf and adult, Papo calves

SidB

Round two for my 1/20-25 scale Wooly Mammoths,
Top, left to right - Mojo (new), Favorite
Bottom, left to right - Mojo (old) and calf, Wild Republic

SidB

Third and concluding reveal of my wooly M's, though this time two are Mastodons, including an old Imperial.

On the left stand: top - Imperial Mastodon; bottom - Wild Safari Mastodon (by Doug Watson)
Right stand: the classic Forest Rogers Carnegie Safari Wooly Mammoth. Had three obtained from thrift shops at one point (kept one, sold another, gave the third away, after nobody on the DTF wanted it)
Center: CollectA Mammoth with two calves (one also a CollectA, the other a knock-off from a local thrift store)

TooOldForDinosaurs

Was waiting for that Carnegie mammoth to show up. :) Nice collection!

SidB

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on August 05, 2023, 05:29:20 PMWas waiting for that Carnegie mammoth to show up. :) Nice collection!
Thanks, it's fun to trot them out for a bit, before consigning them to storage again until the next opportunity.

Crackington

Lovely collection SidB.

I think it's very difficult not to end up with a Mammoth herd as they just seem to materialise as you collect, even without particularly looking for them. Beautiful animals though so I don't think most collectors mind at all - positive by-catch!

SidB

Quote from: Crackington on August 06, 2023, 10:10:52 AMLovely collection SidB.

I think it's very difficult not to end up with a Mammoth herd as they just seem to materialise as you collect, even without particularly looking for them. Beautiful animals though so I don't think most collectors mind at all - positive by-catch!
Thanks, avatar_Crackington @Crackington !

SidB

Back around 2010, I distinctly remember coming across some of Favorite's 2004 dinosaur collection offerings, here on the DTB and the rest at the Black Hills Institute. The detail and precision of fabrication amazed me - I'd never stumbled across anything like them. Clearly these figures were not readily available on the mass market of the time, and thirteen years later, they still aren't! Well, I started acquiring these figures from the Institute, then Dejankins, which I discovered shortly afterwards, and gradually acquired all of these so-called "soft" models, sculpted by Takashi Oda. Later I got the 2013 offerings, by Kazunari Araki, rather more quickly, and so on to the present. First of all, here is my 2004 collection from the Favorite Co. Ltd. , previously known as Kinto up to 2001, I believe:

Following are close-ups of the individual figures by Oda, which have a certain robustness about them. They don't display the sharp 1990's style shrink-wrapping of many of the later figure (especially their theropods). For today, I'll be showing the T-rexes and Triceratops. Keep in mind that these are 2004 designs.

The variant rexes

The trike

The trike variants

Concavenator

When I was a kid, I recall looking at that Favorite Tyrannosaurus (the green one in particular) and thinking it was the ultimate version of the animal. Despite it being this old, it's still a pretty good figure.

Also, how do you deal with dust in an open collection like yours?

SidB

Quote from: Concavenator on August 13, 2023, 11:52:16 AMWhen I was a kid, I recall looking at that Favorite Tyrannosaurus (the green one in particular) and thinking it was the ultimate version of the animal. Despite it being this old, it's still a pretty good figure.

Also, how do you deal with dust in an open collection like yours?
For the longest while, this was my #1 rex, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator . Despite its age is is still a decent sculpt, IMO.I tend not to get a lot of particulate matter in my condo, but of course, it's not that simple. A good percentage of what we call dust is human skin flakes. Can't do much about that. The collections near ceiling level (hallway exhibit) are virtually dust-free. Lower down, there are two approaches: 1) frequent handling and dusting of individual pieces when picked up; 2) frequent rotation of figures. For example, these Favorites and the others to follow replaced a mammoth display, which displaced an earlier Invicta one, and so on. That prevents dust build-up too.

Halichoeres

Generally speaking, I prefer the 2004 editions by Takashi Oda to the 2013 ones. The Triceratops is no exception!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 13, 2023, 03:17:27 PMGenerally speaking, I prefer the 2004 editions by Takashi Oda to the 2013 ones. The Triceratops is no exception!
I find the 2013 quite peculiar, like it's missing the lower part of its rib cage and standing on stilts. I'll be posting it later for reference with my 2013's.

BrontoScorpio

I too find the 2004 edition much better than the 2014.
I remember how thrilled I was to have finally received the T-rex variants.
I also consider the Fukui special items by Hirokazu Tokugawa as an extention of the 2004 Edition.

SidB

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on August 14, 2023, 11:48:25 AMI too find the 2004 edition much better than the 2014.
I remember how thrilled I was to have finally received the T-rex variants.
I also consider the Fukui special items by Hirokazu Tokugawa as an extention of the 2004 Edition.

Me too, the variants were the coolest part of my collection for several years. BTW, I'll be showing the Tokugawa figures before too much longer. Thanks for commenting, I really value your expertise in this area.

SidB

A the golden rays of the morning sun pour into my condo's eastern windows, I thought to snap these pictures of the next third of Oda's 2004s. The production values of these figures continues to amaze and please me, especially in the context of the epoch of their release. First, the Stegosaurus, my current favorite (no pun intended). It always reminds me of the later Bullyland Stegosaurus one.

Pachycephalosaurus, a small piece, but well done, except for the pronation of the manus, which wasn't an issue at the time.

The gorgeous Parasaurolophus

The Styracosaurus, about the right scale to go with mu current PNSO, with which it matches quite well color-wise. Also with Araki's 2013 version. Quite up-to-date, except for the two weight-bearing hoofed outer toes on the forelimbs. But then, what else to expect for 2004.

The fine Allosaurus, much more substantial than the 2013 heroin chique Araki one. I really like Oda's rendition, its heftiness reminds me of the substantial nature of Doug Watson's wild Safari Allosaurus. Surprisingly, the foot aren't as large as the appear, it's only the nails and splayed toes (for stability) that give this impression.

Finally, a suberbly sculpted Ankylosaurus that is actually a chimera of Euplocephalus, Scolosaurus and Dyoplosaurus. Victoria Arbour points out that the head will pass for the former, not Ankylosaurus, as initially thought.

SidB

The final round of the Favorite 2004's -

The Plesiosaurus. Favorite explored novel ways to display their figures. This figure uses a faux aqueous base as a support for the marine creature.

A similar approach, using the Pteranodon with a stone base. Remarkably enough, this a another Favorite figure that never received a review. The brand has existed on the fringes of obscurity not only for the general public, but even here.

The 1/80th scale Brachiosaurus (Giraffatitan)

1/80thh scale Apatosaurus. This one took me a couple of years to track down. There is a version with a somewhat longer tail that didn't come in a blister pack.

La grande orange - Favorite's first "soft" model Spinosaurus

Deinonychus. Got this one from DTF member avatar_Patrx @Patrx , I do believe.

Deinonychus variant. Like its sibling, this has always has a difficult time standing on its own.

Baryonyx

Nice selection of Favorites! The Pachycephalosaurus is a great choice for 1:40 ish scale. I really like that Allosaurus too, it would go well with the new Haolongood one, funnily enough.

SidB

Quote from: Baryonyx on August 17, 2023, 03:08:02 PMNice selection of Favorites! The Pachycephalosaurus is a great choice for 1:40 ish scale. I really like that Allosaurus too, it would go well with the new Haolongood one, funnily enough.
Yes, the Fav Pachycephalo is a fine little figure, especially for its age. The detail work was really well done. Here's a shot of it next to my PNSO one - clearly it's far closer to the 1/40th scale mark than than the latter.

When my HLG Allosaurus comes in from Lana, then I'll be able to compare the two Allosaurus'.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: SidB on August 14, 2023, 12:33:09 PM

Love this one!
A lot of good looking and unique figures. Congrats :)

SidB

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on August 19, 2023, 07:37:51 AM
Quote from: SidB on August 14, 2023, 12:33:09 PM

Love this one!
A lot of good looking and unique figures. Congrats :)
Thanks, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs . BTW, if you're interested in obtaining one, Deane at Dejankins still sells that particular figure, believe it or not! Price is $19.00 USD.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: