News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PREHISTORIC PLANET

Started by dragon53, May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brocc21

Cheated on my own rules and watched Oceans early. Great episode but unfortunately too short. I thought the scene with the lantern fish was very impressive, almost hypnotic in a way. The ammonites were surprisingly the standout stars of this episode, I guess they deserved it after being relegated to a background creature in paleo media for so long  :)) . I haven't seen anyone mention the music yet so I must add that its been fantastic. The electronic synths that accompanied the ammonites was unexpected, but I really liked it.

The bonus features at the end of every episode this season have been very well done. Oceans was probably the most entertaining, and informative, so far. I'd recommend not skipping them.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

dragon53

BlueKrono

I love the fact that they're putting a focus on some non-dinosaurs: amphibians, mammals, birds, invertebrates... My only criticism is there is a little too much azhdarchid for me. I must admit I might be a little biased, as my partner finds them extremely creepy and gripes every time they come on screen. I'm just not particularly interested in them, yet they seem to appear in almost every episode.

One question: they refer to "elasmosaurs" in the show. Is that a proper term? I thought long-necked swimmers were plesiosaurs, and Elasmosaurus was a genus, and these weren't even that (they were Tuarangisaurus).

The CGI, anatomy and movements are of course quite well done. Can't wait til Friday.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Bread

Just watched Oceans and I am not sure how I feel about it.

Now I am not the biggest fan of prehistoric marine life so that may be why I have a bias to the first three episodes rather than this fourth. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, especially Xiphactinus scene, but to me it lacked length in certain segments like the Xiphactinus scene.

I am still enjoying all of these episodes so far. Even with Oceans being at the bottom so far, I will probably be rewatching these one-after the other this weekend.

Gwangi

By far the best thing about the Oceans episode was seeing so many different ammonites. And those baby ammonites have replaced the baby dromaeosaurs as the cutest critters in the series. Of course I also enjoyed seeing Xiphactinus and Hesperornis. Nice to see prehistoric marine life not be limited to just the reptiles.

JimoAi

oceans is my fave episodes despite many ppl claiming it as the weakest. anyways sad there wasn't any sharks though and I'm still praying for Ankylosaurus for tmrs episode

Jose S.M.

I've only seen the first three yet and Badlands is my favorite. Loved the Isisaurus segment and the variety of dinosaurs shown on the Mongolia one. I know it doesn't have non dinosaurs but I still feel is my favorite. Swamps was great still, it was fun to watch poor little Belzeebufo trying to avoid being squashed by the Rapetosaurus ( I really liked their design as well). And in the first sequence I had a little jumpscare when the last Shamosuchus appeared.
I'm glad the we got 2 pachycephalosaurs after having none in the first season, their kind is often neglected in Paleo media.

Eatmycar

Hot take: I'm a little disappointed the Rexes had a successful hunt of all things.

Watching carnivores take the L during Prehistoric Planet is very refreshing, and I was hoping they'd break the mold here. Especially with a hadrosaur, which absolutely could body a T. rex.

Instead, two rexes manage to kill the Edmontosaurus without much effort. That's my one issue so far with this season.

I'm all ginned up for Season 3 if that's possible. I frankly am down for another season in the Maastrichtian, hell, they can do more seasons there if they need to. Just keep it coming.

Stegotyranno420

Spoiler
I am glad they did not go with the new "counter-trend" and made the hadrosaur an invincible Theropod destroying creature. Besides, not everything needs to be unsuccessful. We already seen a majungasaurus get scared by a Simosuchus, i think that is refreshing
[close]

TheCambrianCrusader

Man I really hope we get a blu-ray release once season 2 wraps up. It's a crime that this series is restricted to apple+ of all things

Dynomikegojira

Well here we are last episode North America I have to say this is possibly my favorite episode of Prehistoric Planet ever each of the segments were well timed and I didn't feel like we were lacking anything beyond what previous episodes already gave with the North American fauna however there are still some omissions that are present like a certain armored dinosaur or a certain other part of North America but those were already stretches anyway. The Alamosaurus sequence is my favorite because it sorta reminded me of the classic Walking With Dinosaurs episode Giant of The Skies and that leads into the highly anticipated showdown between T.rex and Quezalcoatlus abd it didn't disappoint. Again I wanna thank the Prehistoric Planet team and Apple for giving another season of this wonderful season and while it's not known right now whether we'll get another season I hope PP while inspire a new generation if paleodocs and we got several coming. It was fun guys this was a great week.

dragon53

edu

Tetzoo podcast (Darren Naish and John Conway) has just dropped a more than an hour long episode with John Favreau as gest on the making of PP!

postsaurischian

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on May 26, 2023, 01:48:39 AMMan I really hope we get a blu-ray release once season 2 wraps up. It's a crime that this series is restricted to apple+ of all things

Right! Even a great series like Prehistoric Planet won't make me play their streaming game. If they won't release a Blu-ray I won't watch it. No problem. I can easily live without it.
Today's media environment sucks like it has never sucked before and I don't wanna be a part of it.

Paleo Flo

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 26, 2023, 09:38:20 AM
Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on May 26, 2023, 01:48:39 AMMan I really hope we get a blu-ray release once season 2 wraps up. It's a crime that this series is restricted to apple+ of all things

Right! Even a great series like Prehistoric Planet won't make me play their streaming game. If they won't release a Blu-ray I won't watch it. No problem. I can easily live without it.
Today's media environment sucks like it has never sucked before and I don't wanna be a part of it.

I'll also wait for a Blu ray-release.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

ceratopsian

We paid for a month and will cancel afterwards (in time to avoid second month). It was about the price of two coffees with tip. And less than the price of two ice cream cups (2 scoops each) at the ice cream farm on our road.  A little bit more than parking at our Tube car park to use the London Underground for a single journey. An exhibition at the Tate Britain gallery cost us £20 each yesterday. In that expenditure context, I consider the Apple charge ok for something I enjoy enormously. Though I'd rather it was available to buy in permanent form. And I am aware we need to be disciplined and not be drawn into watching something else that would suck us in.

Bread

I love this final episode. I honestly was surprised to see Nanuqsaurus segment to be my favorite. There is just something about polar prehistoric life that really brings me in. It was a great episode, I felt this was the best timing for each segment.

So here is my list of favorites, may change due to me rewatching it over the weekend (season 1 & 2)

1 - Swamps
2 - North America
3 - Ice Worlds
4 - Deserts
5 - Freshwater
6 - Islands
7 - Badlands
8 - Forests
9 - Coasts
10 - Oceans

As you can see, I am not too much of a fan of prehistoric marine life. I do like the Mosasaur seen from Coasts, but I felt they weren't as good in Oceans.

Swamps and North America are really tied for me. Only reason I prefer Swamps is the crocodilian and Tyrannosaurus hunting scenes.

Ice Worlds I still prefer over Deserts, but this time I placed Freshwater below the two compared to my last list after season 1. I just felt the prehistoric animals in the two other episodes were more diverse and the segments were more interesting.

I actually really enjoy Islands, but not so much as the ones above.

Badlands is pretty enjoyable for me.

Forests is also enjoyable but definitely carried by the Qianzhousaurus segment for me personally.

Again, Oceans and Coasts are okay in my opinion. It really just doesn't grab me as much as the others due to the lack of dinosaurs. Nothing wrong with that, I still find it interesting, and I will still rewatch it over the coming weekend.

Gwangi

A month of Apple TV costs $6.99 (I think it was $5.99 last year). Prehistoric Planet is well worth the price. I want a DVD/Blue Ray release too, and I have strong opinions about streaming services, but I'll happily give Apple TV $6.99 for making the best paleo-media in decades.  ::)

postsaurischian

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 26, 2023, 11:24:29 AMWe paid for a month and will cancel afterwards (in time to avoid second month). It was about the price of two coffees with tip. And less than the price of two ice cream cups (2 scoops each) at the ice cream farm on our road.  A little bit more than parking at our Tube car park to use the London Underground for a single journey. An exhibition at the Tate Britain gallery cost us £20 each yesterday. In that expenditure context, I consider the Apple charge ok for something I enjoy enormously. Though I'd rather it was available to buy in permanent form. And I am aware we need to be disciplined and not be drawn into watching something else that would suck us in.

Quote from: Gwangi on May 26, 2023, 01:16:18 PMA month of Apple TV costs $6.99 (I think it was $5.99 last year). Prehistoric Planet is well worth the price. I want a DVD/Blue Ray release too, and I have strong opinions about streaming services, but I'll happily give Apple TV $6.99 for making the best paleo-media in decades.  ::)

I know it doesn't cost much, but I repeat: I don't wanna be a part of today's media (streaming) environment. I didn't have money in my mind.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 26, 2023, 01:59:00 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on May 26, 2023, 11:24:29 AMWe paid for a month and will cancel afterwards (in time to avoid second month). It was about the price of two coffees with tip. And less than the price of two ice cream cups (2 scoops each) at the ice cream farm on our road.  A little bit more than parking at our Tube car park to use the London Underground for a single journey. An exhibition at the Tate Britain gallery cost us £20 each yesterday. In that expenditure context, I consider the Apple charge ok for something I enjoy enormously. Though I'd rather it was available to buy in permanent form. And I am aware we need to be disciplined and not be drawn into watching something else that would suck us in.

Quote from: Gwangi on May 26, 2023, 01:16:18 PMA month of Apple TV costs $6.99 (I think it was $5.99 last year). Prehistoric Planet is well worth the price. I want a DVD/Blue Ray release too, and I have strong opinions about streaming services, but I'll happily give Apple TV $6.99 for making the best paleo-media in decades.  ::)

I know it doesn't cost much, but I repeat: I don't wanna be a part of today's media (streaming) environment. I didn't have money in my mind.

This post reminds me of something that happened a long time ago...I remember having this conversation with my dad when I was in high school and I wanted to watch shows on cable in the early 1980s.  I was already working part time then and even while I was offering to pay for it out of my own earnings he refused to let me get it installed.  He told me to get my own place if I wanted to watch cable.  So I moved out of my house before my senior year in high school, got my own apartment and got cable, LOL.  Then he was mad because I had left, I guess the moral of the story is that change is always difficult but it's also the one constant we can always count on...A couple of years later and because my mom and my younger sister put their foot down, my dad got cable installed in his house too ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: