You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

L @Leyster , I think that you were directing this to avatar_Sim @Sim .

Sim

I don't get the appeal of armour/weapons on dinosaurs.  Dino-riders and Cyberzoic have great prehistoric animal sculpts but I don't understand why anyone would want to cover them up with armour or weapons.

suspsy

Quote from: Sim on May 26, 2023, 01:01:40 PMI don't get the appeal of armour/weapons on dinosaurs.  Dino-riders and Cyberzoic have great prehistoric animal sculpts but I don't understand why anyone would want to cover them up with armour or weapons.

1. Because it's fun.
2. Because it looks cool.
3. Because lots of people enjoy that kind of imaginative roleplaying.
4. Because weaponized dinosaurs have been a staple of science fiction and fantasy for decades, even before Dino-Riders.

I suppose I could have just stopped after #1 and that would have been enough.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim I don't care for that sort of stuff either. I don't have a problem with other people liking it though.

As much as I like BotM/Cyberzoic and how great of a job they do, I use them as a last resource. Just because the 1/18 scale results in biggish animals being too big for me (that's why I hope they'll venture into 1/35 more often), they're also super expensive to get here in Europe and I prefer static models over articulated ones. I only buy a BotM if I don't consider the figure too big for me, if it's as accurate as it can get and if it's the best representation of that species in the market/the only one. Even so, depending on how popular the species is, I might just wait and see if someone else releases another good version. That said, when I do get one I enjoy it. I have the Chasmosaurus and I'm planning to get a few more.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: suspsy on May 26, 2023, 01:16:03 PM1. Because it's fun.

Wait, we can have FUN in this hobby? Why didn't someone tell me?? I thought all we got to do was argue about lips and feathers :))
Check out my customs thread!

Leyster

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on May 26, 2023, 03:43:04 PMS @SidB yeah I'm sorry, wrong @
No problem, early no harm done to me, L @Leyster , and I get to learn something in the bargain!

Eatmycar

I can't say I look for armored dinosaur figures, but posing a Spartan hoplite riding a Triceratops gave me a good chuckle when I was displaying it that way.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Eatmycar on May 26, 2023, 05:58:59 PMI can't say I look for armored dinosaur figures, but posing a Spartan hoplite riding a Triceratops gave me a good chuckle when I was displaying it that way.
As someone who likes history and prehistory, the possibilities are endless. Mongols on Tarbosaurus, Winged Huzzars on Smok/Lisowicia, Cossacks with Inostravencias, and who can forget Manchus with Yangchuanosaurus and Mamenchisaurus. Anyone else have nice ideas?

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on May 26, 2023, 01:29:46 PMI have the Chasmosaurus and I'm planning to get a few more.
Which ones are you planning to get?

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Here's my current Creative Beast wishlist.

Spoiler
Yutyrannus
Guanlong
Diabloceratops
P. andrewsi (1:18)

When it comes to future releases:

Carnotaurus
Dilophosaurus
Edmontonia

I would also be interested in Kentrosaurus, though hopefully Haolonggood will save me the effort with their upcoming stegosaur! I would love one of the Allosaurus too, as it's my favorite dinosaur... though at 1:18 it's pushing it for me. I'll be waiting for a 1:35 instead, I'd have to be very desperate for me to go for the 1:18. In any case, I hope some, or ideally all of those I mentioned will get 1:35 versions (or other good versions by other companies). As I said if they release more 1:35 stuff a few more would join the list, such as Gorgosaurus and Ceratosaurus. But for popularity reasons, the only ones I really see David doing in 1:35 scale are Stegosaurus and/or Allosaurus.
[close]
What about you? I know you like Creative Beast, but I read you have little space. Considering they mainly work at 1:18 that would be bad news for you if you're interested in relatively big animals.

Here's a potentially controversial opinion: I'd rather we got a "definitive" figure of an animal with good fossil remains that has one/several imperfect figure/s rather than getting a new figure of a creature never done before but that's too fragmentary.

Over9K

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 26, 2023, 06:05:08 PM
Quote from: Eatmycar on May 26, 2023, 05:58:59 PMI can't say I look for armored dinosaur figures, but posing a Spartan hoplite riding a Triceratops gave me a good chuckle when I was displaying it that way.
As someone who likes history and prehistory, the possibilities are endless. Mongols on Tarbosaurus, Winged Huzzars on Smok/Lisowicia, Cossacks with Inostravencias, and who can forget Manchus with Yangchuanosaurus and Mamenchisaurus. Anyone else have nice ideas?

Guarani on Giganotosaurus, Tupi on Sarmientosaurus.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Over9K on May 27, 2023, 01:51:41 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 26, 2023, 06:05:08 PM

Guarani on Giganotosaurus, Tupi on Sarmientosaurus.
Okay, hear me out.
Since the Arabian peninsula/Middle east in general was mostly submerged at the time- can we hope for Bedouins on plesiosaurs, Iranian Imortals on pliosaurs? We should make this a game in a new thread honestly

Sim

I didn't realise some people would feel these things about armour/weapons on prehistoric animals.  Now I know.

Remko

Quote from: Sim on May 27, 2023, 07:06:41 PM
I didn't realise some people would feel these things about armour/weapons on prehistoric animals.  Now I know.

Guess you've never watched DinoRiders or had the toys... 

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on May 26, 2023, 11:07:50 PMWhat about you? I know you like Creative Beast, but I read you have little space. Considering they mainly work at 1:18 that would be bad news for you if you're interested in relatively big animals.
I'd like to get the Beasts of the Mesozoic Eotyrannus, Utahraptor and Velociraptor osmolskae (1:18 scale).  The Utahraptor is, I think, the largest Creative Beast figure I'll have.  I like what I've seen of it and I'm interested in having a range of BotM dromaeosaurids to scale with each other.  I still plan to get the new Safari Utahraptor too.  Larger Creative Beast figures than their Utahraptor I think will just be too big for me.  I am interested in the idea of more Creative Beast figures in 1:35 scale!  There are quite a few of their species that interest me in that scale.  Out of the planned species that haven't had their prototype shown yet, I'm interested in the Deinonychus, Edmontonia, Sauropelta and Kentrosaurus.  Although I think I'd prefer to have non-articulated versions of Edmontonia and Kentrosaurus.  Like you I'm hoping Haolonggood will do Kentrosaurus.  Or PNSO.

Sim

Quote from: Remko on May 27, 2023, 07:49:42 PM
Quote from: Sim on May 27, 2023, 07:06:41 PM

Guess you've never watched DinoRiders or had the toys... 
Yes, that's right.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like the concept of armor and weapons on dinosaurs, loved DR as a kid. I do think David is covering up too much of the dinosaur though in a lot of these pieces. That makes me want to display them without the armor?

Gwangi

I see the appeal in armor clad, weaponized dinosaurs. Dinosaurs lend themselves well to that sort of thing, hence their popularity with kids (I was one of those, once). I'm not personally into it though. I collect the Tyco Dino-Rider dinosaurs but just the dinosaurs, I have no interest in trying to track down any of the accessories.

Remko

Quote from: Gwangi on May 28, 2023, 04:15:03 PMI see the appeal in armor clad, weaponized dinosaurs. Dinosaurs lend themselves well to that sort of thing, hence their popularity with kids (I was one of those, once). I'm not personally into it though. I collect the Tyco Dino-Rider dinosaurs but just the dinosaurs, I have no interest in trying to track down any of the accessories.

For their time, the Tyco dinosaurs (first DinoRiders, then museum line) were one of the best large (articulated) toys available. And popular as well. The Tyrannosaurus rex is even used in Toy Story.
In only have the Ankylosaurus and the Quetzalcoatlus, none of the other toys. But loved that show. And was surprised after rewatching it that there was only one season.

Sure, the dinosaurs are terribly outdated, but as a kid, we didn't care.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: