News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PREHISTORIC PLANET

Started by dragon53, May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCambrianCrusader

Seems like I'm one of the few people that liked oceans lol

ceratopsian

I liked it. Not my favourite but to see all the ammonites was magical. Habib's comments on mosasaur acceleration were also interesting.

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on May 27, 2023, 01:51:35 PMSeems like I'm one of the few people that liked oceans lol

Pliosaurking

Saw oceans and North America. North America was one of my favourites from this season, I particularly liked the Triceratops scene. Oceans was alright although I found it somewhat boring, but I did like it.

Lynx

Finished Oceans and I like it a lot more now, def in my top 3. That makes North America the worst of the season for me.
An oversized house cat.

TheCambrianCrusader

Just finished North America, seeing a Tyrannosaurus get bullied from a carcass from a pair of Quetzalcoatlus is something I never knew I needed. Overall I definitely loved what I saw but it didn't have as much of a wow factor as season 1 did. Definitely kinda felt a little been there done that. Hoping if they do end making more that we move on to a different era to get some more variety. Not sure how I would rank all the episodes but I think Coasts is my favorite from season 1 and Islands is my favorite from season 2

BlueKrono

I certainly enjoyed seeing the spring-loaded mosasaur in Oceans, but I lost my 💩 when North America featured Globidens. I am, let's say, rather fond of prehistoric marine reptiles, and Globidens is my absolute favorite. NA takes my top spot just for that.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

SRF

I've rewatched Badlands and Swamps last night. These two are probably my favorite episodes of this season.

Tonight I'll rewatch North America. I did like the Alamosaurus/T. Rex/Quetzalcoatlus sequence a lot, one of my favorites of the whole series. But overall I liked Badlands and Swamps better.
But today, I'm just being father

Nanuqsaurus

Not only has it Nanuqsaurus, but it also has baby Nanuqsaurus.
Best show ever.

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 28, 2023, 05:11:58 AMI certainly enjoyed seeing the spring-loaded mosasaur in Oceans, but I lost my 💩 when North America featured Globidens. I am, let's say, rather fond of prehistoric marine reptiles, and Globidens is my absolute favorite. NA takes my top spot just for that.
Oh yeah Globidens is one of my favs too. I went crazy when it showed up. Just wish we also got to see Plotosaurus too, tho 4 different kinds of mosasaur is better than any other documentary so I ain't gonna complain

Halichoeres

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 26, 2023, 01:59:00 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on May 26, 2023, 11:24:29 AMWe paid for a month and will cancel afterwards (in time to avoid second month). It was about the price of two coffees with tip. And less than the price of two ice cream cups (2 scoops each) at the ice cream farm on our road.  A little bit more than parking at our Tube car park to use the London Underground for a single journey. An exhibition at the Tate Britain gallery cost us £20 each yesterday. In that expenditure context, I consider the Apple charge ok for something I enjoy enormously. Though I'd rather it was available to buy in permanent form. And I am aware we need to be disciplined and not be drawn into watching something else that would suck us in.

Quote from: Gwangi on May 26, 2023, 01:16:18 PMA month of Apple TV costs $6.99 (I think it was $5.99 last year). Prehistoric Planet is well worth the price. I want a DVD/Blue Ray release too, and I have strong opinions about streaming services, but I'll happily give Apple TV $6.99 for making the best paleo-media in decades.  ::)

I know it doesn't cost much, but I repeat: I don't wanna be a part of today's media (streaming) environment. I didn't have money in my mind.

I get that. I don't drive a car because I view cars as so harmful to wildlife, to rivers, to public health and safety, and obviously to the climate. I could afford one, and on some occasions it would even make my life more convenient. But I won't buy one on principle despite their ubiquity and the fact that most policy and infrastructure is designed with them in mind.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 26, 2023, 01:59:00 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on May 26, 2023, 11:24:29 AMWe paid for a month and will cancel afterwards (in time to avoid second month). It was about the price of two coffees with tip. And less than the price of two ice cream cups (2 scoops each) at the ice cream farm on our road.  A little bit more than parking at our Tube car park to use the London Underground for a single journey. An exhibition at the Tate Britain gallery cost us £20 each yesterday. In that expenditure context, I consider the Apple charge ok for something I enjoy enormously. Though I'd rather it was available to buy in permanent form. And I am aware we need to be disciplined and not be drawn into watching something else that would suck us in.

Quote from: Gwangi on May 26, 2023, 01:16:18 PMA month of Apple TV costs $6.99 (I think it was $5.99 last year). Prehistoric Planet is well worth the price. I want a DVD/Blue Ray release too, and I have strong opinions about streaming services, but I'll happily give Apple TV $6.99 for making the best paleo-media in decades.  ::)

I know it doesn't cost much, but I repeat: I don't wanna be a part of today's media (streaming) environment. I didn't have money in my mind.

No need to repeat yourself avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian. My comment was a broad comment made at no one in particular. If I wanted to direct it at you then I would have quoted and tagged you, like I did just now. ^-^

Brocc21

Not sure if all of the OST has been released yet. But here's at least some of it.

"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Jose S.M.

Well now I've finished the season and it was as great as the previous one. My favorite segment as a whole is still the dancing Carnotaurus but now the honey badger Simosuchus is a close second. I pretty much loved every segment and don't feel like they were many "filler" scenes as I've seen comments saying it was just Left over footage from season 1.

I really appreciate the fact that it never even hints at the extinct event. We know it happened but the show focuses in showing the Maastrichtian world thriving and full of wonder, presenting the animals as successful instead of doomed like most other documentaries set at the end of the Mesozoic.

One thing I would have prefer is something bigger for the final scene. I'm not referring to the Nanuqsaurus segment, that was very good, I'm saying the very last scene could have a little more punch. But maybe that's just me since I'm a sucker for scenes with the score and scale of Time of Giants from WWD.

dragon53

Dynomikegojira

Overall my impressions for season 2 was that's it's quite good didn't blow mind in the sense that we already knew what to expect from season I. Loved the new species that were featured including some long overdue ones however there were still some glaring omissions but I accept it's a compromise. The narrative storytelling in my opinion improved especially with Isisaurus sequence and the Alamosaurus/T.tex vs Quezalcoatlus sequence. I loved seeing all the returning species doing new things we didn't see in PP1 including seeing the more aggressive side of T.rex which was great and the more tender sides of Velociraptor and Nanqusaurus. The predation scenes improved compared to last season with the highlight easily being the T.rex hunt. I liked the more focus on non dinosaur/pterosaur/marine reptiles animals but I definitely think more could've been done with that but it's a start if we do get future seasons. All it was great and I'm kinda undecided as to whether I want them to stick in the Masstricthian since we didn't Appalachian or more South American dinosaurs with Brazil for the most part being ignored, some groups like the oviraptorosaurs and ornthiomimosaurs being vastly underrepresented or I want to see a different era I've seen compelling cases for both. Big question is will we get a season 3 well in my opinion it's really a matter of when could it be next year or could it be a few years from now well all we do know is that David Attenborough finished recording his line but we don't if they stopped at season 2 unless someone can confirm otherwise because I haven't seen the podcast but I'm fairly confident that Prehistoric Planet will return.

ceratopsian

I wonder if part of the reason for not blowing a mind was simply that it was a second season. We hadn't seen anything like the first before, so it had enormous impact on the senses. This time we wouldn't experience that same element of jaw dropping wonder.

But for me, I thought the second series was excellent, even if my pleasure was sometimes quieter. I enjoyed Badlands the best. I found the Isisaurus sequence the standout in the series. Loved the design of their skin colours and patterns but was also entranced by the otherworldly landscape. In fact overall I was most thrilled by sauropods. The mud bathing Rapetosaurus - how often do we get any suggestion that sauropods enjoyed themselves. And the old Alamosaurus collapsing pulled at my heart strings. And made me meditate about how many wild animals die in their sleep...

dragon53

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on May 28, 2023, 10:44:53 AMNot only has it Nanuqsaurus, but it also has baby Nanuqsaurus.
Best show ever.

I loved it!  fantastic follow up season!  I will be rewatching this many times just like season one.   Whenever I'm having a rough day I always put on season one and it helps me take my mind off of things :)

ceratopsian

Can anyone with better computer skills than mine supply me with a couple of screenshots of the Isisaurus showing the colour/pattern scheme?  Both the adult and the babies? I want to use it as a basis for painting a model (= having one painted).  Any help gratefully received!

Dynomikegojira

So apparently there's several tense of future seasons in the latest podcast as well as a cryptic tweet from Darren Naish himself that he later deleted.
https://twitter.com/YutyTyrant/status/1663516029643898881?t=k0XmeK9bPPgToBqwkELDOA&s=19

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: