News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PREHISTORIC PLANET

Started by dragon53, May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brocc21

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 30, 2023, 06:20:41 PMCan anyone with better computer skills than mine supply me with a couple of screenshots of the Isisaurus showing the colour/pattern scheme?  Both the adult and the babies? I want to use it as a basis for painting a model (= having one painted).  Any help gratefully received!

Will these do? Sorry they didn't attach the first time I posted this.
Spoiler
[close]
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

ceratopsian

Perfect. Just what I needed. I can get them to my artist. Grateful thanks avatar_Brocc21 @Brocc21.

Quote from: Brocc21 on May 30, 2023, 09:32:26 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on May 30, 2023, 06:20:41 PMCan anyone with better computer skills than mine supply me with a couple of screenshots of the Isisaurus showing the colour/pattern scheme?  Both the adult and the babies? I want to use it as a basis for painting a model (= having one painted).  Any help gratefully received!

Will these do? Sorry they didn't attach the first time I posted this.
Spoiler
[close]

Faelrin

Well I finally finished S2. Some thoughts:

Oceans:
Spoiler
I think this was my favorite episode of the season second to maybe Swamps and Badlands. I'm so glad we got that awesome Mosasaurus hunting sequence (especially the huge breach it did, one of the best scenes in the series for me), a scene with Xiphactinus (one of my favorite Mesozoic and prehistoric fishes, which also reminds me  that I'm still behind on getting the CollectA figure of it), and we got to see lots of ammonite diversity (including babies, and everyone's favorite paper clip, Diplomoceras). A lot of shows will easily gloss over them as a quick background animal, and I really appreciate them getting a decent amount of screen-time and focus. Granted I also adore prehistoric marine inverts as well. I only wish we got to see more deep sea creatures, and something like a whale fall, but like with a mosasaur. I also had no idea about Morturneria having a specialization to enable it to feed in such a way as depicted. Seems that info came from this paper. I'm surprised they did a new study just for the Mosasaurus to find out how fast it could get to (as shown in the Prehistoric Planet: Uncovered special for this episode). Anyone know where that's been published. Oh and the extra ammonite Uncovered was pretty interesting as well.
[close]

North America:
Spoiler
Still enjoyable, but probably the weakest episode of the season for me, compared to what came before this one. The highlight of the episode for me was easily the Quetzalcoatlus vs Tyrannosaurus scene, if not the scene with Globidens hunting those poor ammonites (seeing them drop after having their shells cracked, and become helpless, was heart breaking for me, even though I know it is nature, and the mosasaur had to eat too). The Triceratops scene was nice too, but it felt like revisiting old territory, such as the Torosaurus scene in WWD. Surprised they didn't mention "Yoshi's Trike"/MOR 3027, in the Prehistoric Planet: Uncovered since they showcased it in the episode. A bit of a missed opportunity.
[close]

Overall I think I prefer S1, but S2 did have some banger scenes, with some great species diversity, even if both seasons did focus entirely on the Maastrichtian exclusively.

Edit: All caught up on the comments now. I have been holding off on reading them until I finished the series. Happy belated birthday avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi. May as well mention mine was today, so part of the reason I finished the show today.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

Happy birthday to you too avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin. Gotta say, Prehistoric Planet was an excellent birthday gift! I'm sure you feel the same.

dragon53

HD-man

Quote from: Faelrin on May 30, 2023, 10:38:18 PMSurprised they didn't mention "Yoshi's Trike"/MOR 3027, in the Prehistoric Planet: Uncovered since they showcased it in the episode. A bit of a missed opportunity.

Understandable, but to be fair, you could say that about every PhP character that's based on a particular specimen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd think that'd be too many specimens to name-drop.

For those who don't know, my favorite S1 ep is Deserts followed by Freshwater, Forests, Ice Worlds, & Coasts. Similarly, my favorite S2 ep is Badlands followed by Swamps, North America, Islands, & Oceans. Obviously, I love how PhP depicts Velociraptor, my 2nd favorite dino ( https://www.deviantart.com/jd-man/journal/SD-My-favorite-artworks-of-Velociraptor-956554734 ), but besides that, I also love the particular designs/segments of the former eps (E.g. Austroraptor, Pachycephalosaurus, & their respective fights) & how they connect/flow into each other (E.g. Badlands begins & ends at the same Indian site, while the middle segments focus on the same Asian region).

BTW, I recommend checking out Blayken's PhP videos (yes, english subtitles are an option). At ~1:00, his Badlands video below confirms what I previously said about the Velociraptor spoiler image ( https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7869.msg345882#msg345882 ). On a related note, as much as I like the 300 reference, I like this version of S2's Velociraptor hunt even better: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/qvlKZGVJCoU

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Gwangi

I feel like overall season 2 is structured better than the first. There's better pacing, more interesting behavior, more diversity, and better story structure. Like the Badland's episode, which bookends the episode with the sauropods. And the Islands episode, which bookends with Hatzegopteryx. I'm in the process of watching all the episodes again and so far Badlands is my favorite and might be my favorite episode of the entire series. We'll see, I've only re-watched the first two so far.

Brocc21

Season 2 was nothing short of excellent. I don't know if it was overall better than season 1, but it definitly had some improvements.
  As Gwangi said, I think the structure felt better. Though all the episodes being noticeably shorter dampened the experience. And this is very nitpicky, but I felt that the Nanuqsaurus was an odd segment to end on, personally I would've opted for something grander. The writing was even better this season. With no fault to Attenborough's fantastic narration, some of the writing is season 1 just felt kind of awkward. Sometimes it felt like he was cut off mid sentence, and planned to say more. The musical score was great. Not that the score in season 1 was lacking, but I definitly found myself noticing it more this season. And I feel that it added much more to the scenes. The special effects were amazing as expected. The way the CGI creatures collided and interacted with mud and water was very realistic, and a notable improvement to last season. However I found some of the segments this season to be kind of forgettable. Maybe it was because a lot of them were padded out with returning creatures and there was a bigger effort to include more extravagant and speculative behavior, but I just felt that season 1 had more stand out memorable scenes. That being said I really liked most of the new cast. There were far more non dinosaurian animals sharing the spotlight, and some of them stole the show (Beelzebufo my beloved). There was a lot more predation this season, which I felt was missing from last season. I understand that they did it in order to present dinosaurs as complex living creatures and not just "awesome-bro" killer monsters, but I felt as if they made life in the cretaceous seem a little too peaceful. And watching T. rex hunt down and kill its prey will never not be cool.
  My favorite part was definitly the Beelzebufo segment. Watching goofy little animals look for a mate and survive against the odds is very endearing. And watching the devil toad awkwardly flop around made for some great comedy.

TLDR: It was overall a very great season, with noticeable improvements over the previous. Though it lacked some of the highs. And it had dinosaurs in it, which is awesome.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

dragon53

dragon53

MLMjp

Finally have the time to write this. Just when discussion have already stopped. Gosh, I hate I´m always late for this. Funny thing is that I watched season two with a delay of only one week but then stuff happened, when I had the time I wasn't in the mood and sometimes I just straight forgot about it.

If anyone here sees this, I enjoyed Prehistoric Planet 2 a lot, just like with season one. Although it is very clear that season 2 is just the scrapped material from season 1 as evidenced by the very similar environments, the re-use of some animals and shorter runtime of the episodes. Not complaining though, it is always good to see different aspects of the same creatures, better have a lot of quality moments of a few animals that having dozens of creatures with like one scene for each.

S2 feels a bit different from S1, S1 felt like something new, fresh and unique. While S2 kinda doesn't have that fresh factor. But it makes up for it by giving us more "exciting" things (for the most part), if that makes sense. S1 felt like "Wow!", while S2 is more like "Yeah!"

Also, S2 wasn't as bold with speculation as S1 was, like most of the behaviors and features presented here were not as shocking as the air sacs of Dreadnoughtus or the femboy Barbaridactylus.

On to the good and the bad, lets start with the bad:

• I´m not gonna act like S1 CGI was perfect, but even when it didn't look that great, it wasn't that distracting. In S2, while the majority of CGI is still top notch, when it does not look great, it is very distracting. Like the ammonites in episode 4 didn't look good at all, watched this with my family and my father commented on how poorly done they were, the crocodiles at the beginning of episode 3 also didn't look good for the few moments the were out of the water. Sometimes the legs, necks and tails of the Ornithomimus (which still have those ugly looking mohawks) literally fade in during the chase scene in ep 5. Not sure if the Austroraptor is another example of lackluster CGI, because I loved the design, but sometimes it just look off to me.
  • Speaking of CGI, there is some obvious model recycling here, the Kuru was literally the exact same model as the Velociraptor. In S1 even the ones that looked very similar at least had some differences.
  • The show still refuses to call some animals what they truly are, I understand leaving some of them ambiguos because there is not a genus and species name yet, but sometimes Sir David Atenborough literally says the actual names of the animals (Tuaringisaurus, Globidens) and after that he just refers to them as "elasmosaur" mosasaur". You literally just said their actual names, why are you doing this?!
  • Pachycephalosaurus without cheeks, I don't care what you say or show me, some paleontologists (like the skeleton crew from YouTube) still support the cheeks on Pachycephalos, and just like them I will die on that hill until proven otherwise.
  • The last episode kinda ended on a weak note, not like the Nanuqsaurus mother hunting was bad, but considering this episode had one of the most exciting moments at the beginning, well...

Everything else though, was either good or great. My favorite parts were:

• The T.rex hunt, man, that was so well done
  • T.rex vs Quetzalcoatlus, literally the most hype moment of S2, even thought I wanted the T.rex to obliterate those Quetzs (one bite and they are done), in nature it is wise to avoid injuries, and better wait for when they are done eating to come back
  • Beelzebufo, my god, it´s segment in episode 3 made me love this toad, now I want I life-size toy of it. Do it Collecta.
  • The Triceratops segment
  • Despite the lack of cheeks, it was great to see Pachycephalosaurus fight in HD
  • The Tarchia segment. Note how the Prenocephale mouth openings don't go all the way to the back of its head, they have some "cheeks", unlike the Pachycephalos...
  • The fact that we see more of the Hateg island ecosystems, with new species like Tethyshadros.
  • More Velociraptor and Tarbosaurus is always good
  • Globidens manking its debut in a documentary

One thing that left me thinking was the feathered ornithopod chased by those dromaeosaurs on islands (forgot its name). I say this because you have another small ornithopod, Zalmoxes, but without feathers. Since the discovery of some feathered small ornithischians such as Kulindadromeus, small ornithopods are sometimes reconstructed with feathers, but it kinda feel weird to have one feathered and the other 100% scaly, so I must ask, how close are these two animals in the family tree? Distant enough to justify the difference in integument?

Thialfi

I haven't really followed the discourse on this season as I wanted to stay away from spoilers as much as possible, but I just wanted to say that Mosasaurus breaking through the surface of the ocean is one of the most beautiful things I have seen on screen in recent memory. Goosebumps.

Prehistory Resurrection

Wanted to share this fantastic size comparison by Dane Pavitt.

HD-man

HD-man

The Dromies are back (& include PhP2)! I just voted & you should too ;)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: HD-man on January 09, 2024, 09:38:48 PMThe Dromies are back (& include PhP2)! I just voted & you should too ;)

H @HD-man You've just posted this identical post seven times on the forum - that's spamming. So, I have to give you a warning that you are violating forum rule 2.  C:-)

I have deleted all the duplicate posts except for the original, which is this one.

HD-man

Can't wait, especially for the "intense battle between raptors and a pride of Triceratops in the forest"! I wonder, Acheroraptor or Dakotaraptor? I don't have the app, but hopefully someone who does will post PhPI online 🤞: https://www.apple.com/tv-pr/news/2024/01/apple-tv-unveils-groundbreaking-immersive-originals-from-todays-biggest-storytellers-set-to-debut-on-apple-vision-pro/

Dynomikegojira

More Prehistoric Planet is always welcome glad Apple is truly invested in this. This kinda supports my expectations that a third season will air this year.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I wish they weren't exclusive to the ridiculously expensive vision, hopefully they come to other headsets eventually.

HD-man

Good to finally see the results!
I especially like the Best Music Track winner (It's my fave PhP2 scene, partly b/c it reminds me of the "Red Lotus Theme Music") & the Steamboat Willie parody.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: