News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mathison Museum of Natural History - Prehistoric Edition

Started by bmathison1972, January 20, 2022, 03:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Libraraptor on May 07, 2023, 01:39:45 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 07, 2023, 01:30:46 PMThat's one of the few Bullyland figures I would still love to track down.

Obviously it is not hard to get, since I had found one on ebay a few weeks ago which did not sells for 10 Euro

I imagine that it's easier to get in Europe than in America, obviously.  ::)

Halichoeres

Where would our Triassic shelves be without Bullyland?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

Quote from: Gwangi on May 07, 2023, 02:18:26 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 07, 2023, 01:30:46 PMThat's one of the few Bullyland figures I would still love to track down.

Obviously it is not hard to get, since I had found one on ebay a few weeks ago which did not sells for 10 Euro

The postage from Europe to the US is horrendous, but I can look out for one nonetheless if you like.

Gwangi

Quote from: Libraraptor on May 08, 2023, 04:09:02 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 07, 2023, 02:18:26 PM

The postage from Europe to the US is horrendous, but I can look out for one nonetheless if you like.

That's a kind gesture but the postage has me put off from getting most things from Europe, for the time being. Thanks all the same!

bmathison1972

Species: †Siderops kehli Warren & Hutchinson, 1983

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Cadbury
Series: Yowies Lost Kingdoms Series A
Year of Production: 2000
Size/Scale: Figure length 7.3 cm. Using width of head as a metric (n=2 cm), scale comes to approximately 1:32.5
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: Being one of the original Australian Yowies, some assembly is required.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Early Jurassic (Toarcian) of present-day Australia
Habitat: Freshwater lakes
Diet: Presumably predaceous on other animals, such as fish and other amphibians
IUCN Status (at time of posting): N/A [prehistoric]
Miscellaneous Notes: Siderops kehli is believed to have had a similar lifestyle to crocodiles today, being an ambush predator of vertebrate animals in and along the margins of freshwater lakes and ponds.

Halichoeres

I'll always have a soft spot for Yowie for making things like this. I really wish they would make another prehistoric line.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

bmathison1972

Species: †Homo erectus (Dubois, 1893)
Common name(s): upright man

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Bullyland
Series: Evolution of Men
Year of Production: 1999
Size/Scale: Height approximately 10.5 cm for a scale of 1:13.9-1:17.6
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Rare
Miscellaneous Notes: The Evolution of Men set included six hominids: Dryopithecus fontani, Australopithecus afarensis, Homo habilis, H. erectus, H. neanderthalensis, and Paleolithic H. sapiens. In 2014, Safari Ltd. released their Evolution of Man collection which consisted of the same species minus the Dryopithecus. I initially had the Safari collection and individually obtained the Dryopithecus, but when the opportunity presented itself to get a complete Bullyland set, I replaced the Safari collection with it. The Safari collection is very good, but it was nice to get a complete Bullyland collection.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Early to late Pleistocene of Africa, Europe, Middle East, Central and Southeast Asia
Habitat: Highly variable, including open woodlands, plains, grasslands; often in areas near reliable sources of water
Diet: General omnivore, including a wide variety of animals (including large game), fruits, vegetables, nuts, tubers, seeds
Miscellaneous Notes: Homo erectus is believed to have evolved from an isolated population of H. habilis approximately 2 MYA, with the last known population living approximately 0.1 MYA. It had one of the widest distributions of species of Homo that predated H. neanderthalensis and H. sapiens, having reached Java in the East and possibly western Europe to the north. Homo erectus did not have a written language, but did show signs of early artistic capabilities and collected natural pigments such as ochre. It is unknown whether or not H. erectus used clothing. Tool use included stone flakes fashioned as axes, picks, knives, and cleavers; H. erectus is credited with initiating the Acheulean stone tool industry. Homo erectus is considered the first hominid to have used fire.

Halichoeres

I definitely think Bullyland did a better job with their set. Used to be such an interesting company!

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 03, 2023, 05:54:05 PMI definitely think Bullyland did a better job with their set.

I agree, although I kinda prefer the height of the Safari figures (they are a tad shorter

Interesting, if I remember correctly, Safari initially got into hot water with some of their retailers after an 'Evolution' themed TOOB. That's probably why in the next year or two they put out that 'Family TOOB' featuring a Stepford family of white people dressed in white and blue lol

postsaurischian

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 03, 2023, 05:54:05 PMI definitely think Bullyland did a better job with their set. Used to be such an interesting company!

Yes, that is a sad story.

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 03, 2023, 12:28:39 PMAbout the Animal:

The header made me grin ;D . I do take a similar view of it.

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 03, 2023, 06:02:30 PMInteresting, if I remember correctly, Safari initially got into hot water with some of their retailers after an 'Evolution' themed TOOB. That's probably why in the next year or two they put out that 'Family TOOB' featuring a Stepford family of white people dressed in white and blue lol

Geez, file under "USA problems."

bmathison1972

Species: †Anzu wyliei Lamanna et al., 2014

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Wild Safari Prehistoric World
Year of Production: 2018
Size/Scale: Figure length approximately 12.5 cm. Using left tibia as a metric (n=2.5 cm) scale come to approximately 1:24 based on specimen CM 78001
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique (see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: I am unaware of any other figures of this species by well-known, mainstream manufacturers, although it is my understanding there 3D-printed options available.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Cretaceous (Maastrichtian) of present-day North America
Habitat: Possibly open woodlands near riparian areas, floodplains
Diet: Presumably vegetation
Miscellaneous Notes: Anzu wyliei is named after Anzû, a demon-like monster in several Mesopotamian religions. Anzû may have been a precursor to the Mesopotamian god Abu. In Sumerian and Akkadian mythology, Anzû is a divine storm-bird and the personification of the southern wind and the thunder clouds.

Halichoeres

I stored mine carelessly last time I moved, so it lists pretty heavily. Nice figure, though. Oviraptorosaurs are among my favorite theropods because they actually did something novel with the basic theropod body plan.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 11, 2023, 05:46:08 PMI stored mine carelessly last time I moved, so it lists pretty heavily. Nice figure, though. Oviraptorosaurs are among my favorite theropods because they actually did something novel with the basic theropod body plan.

Interesting, I have keep mine in its plastic support ever since I got it. I never took it out until I took this pic (probably 2 years or so) and it doesn't stand well!

Jose S.M.

I really like this figure. Mine has always leaned to the opposite side its supposed to so the tripod pose is basically useless for me but it stays up if there's no  disturbances, with the minimun bounce of its shelf it will fall.

bmathison1972

Interesting other people are experiencing the same thing. On the shelf it continues to stay in it's protective plastic base it came with.

ceratopsian

bmathison1972

Species: †Qianzhousaurus sinensis Lü et al., 2014

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Wild Safari Prehistoric World
Year of Production: 2020
Size/Scale: Figure length approximately 24.0 cm. Using skull as a metric (n=3.5 cm), scale comes to approximately 1:27
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Rare
Miscellaneous Notes: This species didn't have representation in toy/figure form until 2019 (which is not bad considering it's only five years after its descrition) when PNSO produced a miniature. PNSO would follow that up later with a 'standard' sized model in 2021 with an articulated lower jaw. The larger PNSO model appears to be a similar size and scale to today's Safari version.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Cretaceous (Maastrichtian) of present-day Asia
Habitat: Subtropical forests, often in riparian areas and along floodplains
Diet: Predaceous on smaller animals
Miscellaneous Notes: Qianzhousaurus sinensis is known for its skull, which is rather long but not very deep, suggesting the animal didn't possess the bite force of larger tyrannosaurids. This skull morphology, in combination with its smaller size and gracile build, were probably adaptations for animal that was a fast, agile predator of smaller animals.

bmathison1972

for some reason my images are not showing up for me here, but they are on AFT. Let me know if you also cannot see them (?)

SidB

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 14, 2023, 11:40:16 AMfor some reason my images are not showing up for me here, but they are on AFT. Let me know if you also cannot see them (?)
Nothing visible for me, B @bmathison1972 .

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: