News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mathison Museum of Natural History - Prehistoric Edition

Started by bmathison1972, January 20, 2022, 03:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

for those of you who know my on ATF, this is a thread I started that highlights a different figure from my collection (roughly) daily. I decided to highlight the prehistoric creatures here on DTF and will start by migrating over the prehistoric posts so far. So, these first few posts will have things already highlighted. After I get those migrated over, I will update this thread daily, as new prehistoric creatures come up (naturally prehistoric; not extinct via modern human activity).

For those of you who haven't seen this thread on other forums, the non-arthropod part of my collection is mostly synoptic.

Also, photographs were takes in artificial dioramas (Dioramansion, Bakku Backgrounds, etc.). None of the backgrounds are photoshopped (I get asked this sometimes).

DTF Disclaimer: Since I am a microbiologist and entomologist by trade, most people on this forum know more than I do about dinosaurs, so I welcome (respectful) corrections to anything I might get wrong :-).

Here is the intro from the original ATF post:

I am starting a new (roughly) daily thread as part of a project to photodocument my collection of individual figures, and posting them secures a safe place for them online. Using a random number generator, I will select a new figure (not species). Each post will feature one figure, unless pairs (or more) were sold together within a set. Each post will have detailed information about the figure and the animal itself. Overtime, this thread will replace Bug of the Day and Synoptic Animal Collection.

How I calculate scale. Scale is calculated using a variety of features, often dependent on the pose the animal is in: body length, shoulder height, wingspan, etc. Sometimes figures are measured down the spine/midline using string (dental floss actually lol). Sometimes I may use features such as the length of a bird's beak or a dinosaur femur. Scales should be considered estimates. If anyone thinks a scale is off or I didn't do the math right, please speak up!

Frequency of a species in toy/figure form. This is based on my knowledge at the time of posting, whether by what I have seen posted on the forums and blogs, what I have seen for sale online or in shops, what is on the toyanimalinfo (TAI) website, etc. I am not privy to every toy animal made, so the frequency for some species might be higher than I am aware. Let me know if I missed something!

How I choose which figure is next. As mentioned earlier, I use a random number generator at random.org. I have a separate Excel file that has all my figures listed alphabetically by genus and species, regardless of higher taxon (e.g., bird, mammal, butterfly). The random number generator result is matched with the line in the Excel file. Once a figure is reviewed, it is deleted from the file, so it will not come up again (this also means that, until new figures are acquired, the database gets shorter which each post!).

Please comment all you want, but please do not post images on this thread; I want all images to be my own. Thanks.

Now, on to the critters.

Originally posted on October 29, 2020:

Species: †Camarasaurus lentus (Marsh, 1889)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Wild Safari Prehistoric World
Year of Release: 2019
Size/Scale: Figure 35.0 cm long. Height at shoulder 10.0 cm. Scale roughly 1:40.
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: For a species common in the fossil record, Camarasaurus has not been made often in toy/figure form. Being a fairly recent release, this figure nicely highlights a lot of what we have learned about sauropod anatomy, including the mouth structure, the claws on the feet, and position of the nostrils.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Jurassic (Kimmeridgian to Tithonian) of present day Colorado and Utah
Habitat: Arid, semi-arid areas, and tropical plains
Diet: Vegetation
IUCN Status (at time of posting): N/A (prehistoric)
Miscellaneous Notes: Camarasaurus fossils have been found in the Morrison Formation, a famous site extremely rich in dinosaur fossils. Among the species it lived alongside was the top predator Allosaurus fragilis, which probably hunted Camarasaurus.

Originally posted on November 7, 2020:

Species: †Asaphus kowalewskii Lawrow, 1856

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Paleocasts
Series: Trilobite Cast Collection
Year of Release: 2017
Size/Scale: Body length 7.0 cm, within the scale of 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: Paleocasts is a line of prehistoric animals, mainly invertebrates, produced by artist Patrick May and sold on Etsy in the U.S. The figures can usually be purchased finished (as shown here) or unfinished.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Middle Ordovician of present day Russia, especially in the Wolchow River region near Saint Petersburg
Habitat: Benthic
Diet: Presumably scavenger or predator on other invertebrates
IUCN Status (at time of posting): N/A [prehistoric]
Miscellaneous Notes: This species is known for its distinctive eye stalks, which are less pronounced in this figure than they are some actual specimens.

Originally posted on November 12, 2020:

Species: †Coelophysis bauri (Cope, 1887)

About the Figure:
Size/Scale: Figure length 17.5 cm. Measured along spine 22.7 cm for a scale of 1:13
Miscellaneous Notes: This figure is sculpted with a texture suggesting down or protofeathers. This feature is still speculative, as Coelophysis fossils have yet to be found with skin impressions. However, the paleoecology suggests that Coelophysis lived in an environment that could get cold seasonally, and feathers would be an advantage to a theropod living in such habitats.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Triassic (Middle Norian) of present day Arizona and New Mexico
Habitat: Floodplains
Diet: Predaceous on smaller animals
Miscellaneous Notes: Coelophysis was a small, agile predaceous dinosaur. Morphological features of the eye sockets suggest it was a diurnal hunter. Large congregations of fossils suggest Coelophysis may have been a pack hunter, but there is no direct evidence of such behavior. Such large fossil deposits could have been due to other phenomena, such mass killings during flooding, for example.

Originally posted on November 25, 2020:

Species: †Pachycrocuta brevirostris (Aymard, 1846) (giant short-faced hyena)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Paleo-Creatures
Series: N/A
Year of Release: 2016
Size/Scale: Figure 9.0 cm long. Height at shoulder 5.0 cm for a scale of 1:18-1:20.
Miscellaneous Notes: Paleo-Creatures were designed and produced by forum member Jetoar. The figure stands loosely on the flat habitat-style base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Miocene to Middle Pleistocene of Eurasia and East Africa
Habitat: Plains, forest edges, and other open areas
Diet: Kleptoparasitic scavenger, occasionally a predator
Miscellaneous Notes: Pachycrocuta brevirostris was the largest hyena species known. It was also the largest mammal capable of cracking bones, which was essential given that its diet probably consisted mainly of carcasses of large animals such as deer, bison, and horses that were killed by other mammals (such as large cats).

Originally posted January 2, 2021:

Species: †Inostrancevia alexandri Amalitsky, 1922

About the Figure:
Year of Release: 2010
Size/Scale: Length 13.5 cm, for a scale of approximately 1:25 for a large specimen
Miscellaneous Notes: Ten years old at the time of this writing, this figure is still the only representative of this species in the toy market, not including resin kits, 3D printable options, and statuettes.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Permian (Wuchiapingian) of modern-day Russia
Habitat: Semi-arid plains with cyclic seasonal flooding and dry areas
Diet: Predator on other animals, including pareiasaurs such as Scutosaurus.
Miscellaneous Notes: Inostrancevia alexandri belonged to a group of mammal-like reptiles called gorgonopsids. The gorgonopsids are believed to be the sister-group to Eutheriodontia, which gave rise to modern mammals. All Gorgonopsia were extinct by the end of the Permian.

Originally posted January 9. 2021:

Species: †Pteranodon longiceps Marsh, 1876

About the Figure:
Year of Release: 2019
Size/Scale: Total figure length 11.5 cm. Scale difficult to calculate based on wingspan. The head crest measured from the back of the orbital socket is 5.0 cm, for a scale of 1:15 based on the Yale Peabody Museum specimens YPM 2493 and YPM 2494. Depending on the specimen referenced, this figure could probably scale anywhere from 1:15-1:20.
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Common
Miscellaneous Notes: I much prefer pterosaurs in their resting pose, such as this. I haven't bought the Safari Ltd. Quetzalcoatlus yet, as I am hoping the re-do it in a non-flying pose. As good as today's Pteranodon figure is, it looks like the 2021 offering by CollectA might be also be very good!

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Cretaceous (Coniacian-Campanian) of present-day North America
Habitat: Coastal areas along the Western Interior Seaway; pelagic
Diet: Fish
Miscellaneous Notes: The purpose of the head crest on pterosaurs is still not completely known, but given that they are more pronounced in mature specimens and are different among the species, they were probably used for species recognition and sexual display. They may also have been used as a rudder (for navigation) or to counterbalance the large beak.

Originally posted January 26, 2021:

Species: †Hallucigenia sparsa (Walcott, 1911)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Trilobiti Design
Series: Scientific Models
Year of Release: 2018
Size/Scale: Body length 10.0 cm for a scale of 10:1-5:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Rare
Miscellaneous Notes: This is not a toy or typical PVC figure, but rather a resin model. It is for serious collectors and not to be 'played with'. It can be delicate (a few parts broke in transit to me, but I was able to easily fix them). The base does not come standard with the figure; it was made for me by Trilobiti as a courtesy due to production delays at the time I ordered it. If you want a PVC model that depicts the current concept of the species, the only option is the Cambrian Creatures Mini Model figure by Favorite. Figures by Kaiyodo and COG Ltd. depict an older concept of the animal that was backwards.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Middle Cambrian of present-day Canada
Diet: Presumed filter feeder of detritus
Miscellaneous Notes: We have learned a lot about H. sparsa in the 40+ years since it was described. Early depictions of the animal displayed upside down and backwards! The phylogenetic relationships of H. sparsa are still not completely understood, but it appears to be a panarthropod related to the onychophorans (velvet worms).

Originally posted January 27, 2021:

Species: †Apatosaurus louisae Holland, 1916

About the Figure:
Series: Wild Safari Prehistoric Life
Year of Release: 2010
Size/Scale: Figure length 32.5 cm. Measured along spine, total body length 48.5 cm for a scale of about 1:45 for a maximum-sized specimen
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Varies based on figure inspiration and designation (see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: As far as I know, this figure is the only one specifically marketed at the species level as A. louisae (Doug Watson, the sculptor of this figure, specifically indicated as such). The frequency of Apatosaurus figures depends on how many were actually modeled after Apatosaurus versus those that were modeled after Brontosaurus, which was placed in synonymy with Apatosaurus from about 1903 until about 2015.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Jurassic (Kimmeridgian) of present-day western North America (Utah)
Habitat: Semi-arid habitats with alternating wet and dry seasons, riparian areas, and swampy lowlands
Diet: Presumed grazer on low-growing vegetation
Miscellaneous Notes: Apatosaurus louisae was named after Louise Carnegie, the wife of Andrew Carnegie who founded, among many other notable institutions, the Carnegie Museums of Pittsburg, which includes the Carnegie Museum of Natural History (CMNH). Andrew Carnegie funded much of the excavations where A. louisae was discovered and the type specimen resides at the CMNH.

Originally posted February 12, 2021:

Species: †Pteraspis rostrata (Agassiz, 1835)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Dinotales Series 2
Year of Release: 2001
Size/Scale: Body length (including rostrum) 9.0 cm for a scale of 1:2.22
Miscellaneous Notes: Being one of the original Dinotales figures, some assembly is required. The figure is removeable from its base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Lower Devonian of modern-day Europe
Habitat: Pelagic
Diet: Marine invertebrates, small vertebrates
Miscellaneous Notes: Pteraspis rostrata did not have pectoral fins, but did have lateral growths that are believed to have functioned like hydrofoils for propulsion in water. The tail had a longer lower lobe, which would give the animal an upwards lift, suggesting a pelagic lifestyle rather than benthic.

Originally posted February 19, 2021:

Species: †Macrauchenia patachonica Owen, 1838

About the Figure:
Year of Release: 2018
Size/Scale: Figure length 12.0 cm. Height at shoulder 6.5 cm for a scale of 1:21.5
Miscellaneous Notes: Like all figures of M. patachonica, this 2018 rendition is depicted with a prehensile trunk-like snout. However, it is now believed that Macrauchenia may have had a snout more similar to that of a moose (see below).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Miocene to Late Pleistocene of present-day southern South America (Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Venezuela)
Habitat: Grasslands, savanna, open forests
Diet: Plants, probably grasses, shrubs, and trees
Miscellaneous Notes: Molecular analyses suggest M. patachonica and other members of Litopterna are the sister group to Perissodactyla, with an estimated divergence date of about 66 million years ago. While some authorities today believe M. patachonica had a moose-like snout, pictographs from Colombia dated from 12,600 to 11,800 years ago depict a trunked animal which may have represented Macrauchenia or a relative, lending support for the earlier depictions with a trunk-like snout.

bmathison1972

Originally posted March 28, 2021:

Species: †Hesperonychus elizabethae Longrich & Currie, 2009

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Vivid Toy Group
Series: Walking with Dinosaurs
Year of Release: 2012
Size/Scale: Figure length 10.5 cm. Body length 8.0 cm for a scale of 1:12.5
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique [see below]
Miscellaneous Notes: Most of my dinosaurs are by Safari Ltd., but I make exceptions for some small, unusual taxa. I believe this figure is unique for this species, although I do not know the full extent of Walking with Dinosaurs merchandise. Although we do not have a lot of material for H. elizabethae, there are some notable anatomical inaccuracies in this figure, namely the position of feathers nearing the wrist of the animal.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Cretaceous (Campanian) of present-day Alberta.
Habitat: Forested coastal floodplains, swamps, marshes
Diet: Small animals, possibly insects
Miscellaneous Notes: At the time of this writing, Hesperonychus elizabethae is the smallest carnivorous dinosaur known from North America.

Originally posted March 29, 2021:

Species: †Psychopyge sp.

About the Figure:
Series: Dinotales Series 1
Year of Release: 2001
Size/Scale: Body length 4.5 cm for a scale of approximately 1:2-1:3
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique [as a sculpt]
Miscellaneous Notes: These two figures represent color variants of the same sculpt, originally released in 2001. Being original Dinotales figures, some assembly is required.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Lower Devonian (Emsian) of present-day Europe and North Africa (Morocco)
Habitat: Benthopelagic
Diet: Presumed soft-bodied invertebrates and/or scavengers
Miscellaneous Notes: Psychopyge is known for its elongated, spatulate rostrum, the function of which is unknown; it may have been used as a sensory organ or to root potential prey out of sand or silt.

Originally posted May 12, 2021:

Species: †Confuciusornis sanctus Hou et al., 1995

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: PNSO
Series: Prehistoric Animal Models
Size/Scale: Body length (including tail feathers) 8.3 cm for a scale of 1:6
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: An exciting species to have been made into a toy, it does fall short in terms of accuracy, especially with regards to the wing structure and position. Also, there is apparently no evidence that C. sanctus had a crest, given the large number of fossils known (sexual dimorphism has been observed, but neither sex appeared to have had a crest). Still, it is a fine figure and comes recommended.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Early Cretaceous (Barremian) of modern-day China
Habitat: Riparian, arboreal
Diet: Presumably small fish
Miscellaneous Notes: To date, C. sanctus is the oldest known bird with a toothless beak (by bird, I am referring to anything within the clade Euavialae). There have been several theories about the animal's diet, including seeds and insects. In 2006, a fossil of C. sanctus was discovered with the remains of a small fish within its alimentary system, suggesting a piscivorous diet.

Originally posted May 14, 2021:

Species: †Lisowicia bojani Sulej et Niedźwiedzki, 2019

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: CollectA
Series: Prehistoric Life
Year of Release: 2020
Size/Scale: Figure length 19.0 cm. Hip height 10.0 cm for a scale of approximately 1:20
Miscellaneous Notes: Leave it to CollectA to produce a cool prehistoric animal less than a year after it was formally described! The bottom jaw is articulated.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Triassic (Norian to Rhaetian) of modern-day Poland
Habitat: Tropical, freshwater wetlands
Diet: Plants
Miscellaneous Notes: Lisowicia bojani is the largest known non-mammalian synapsid. Why it became so large is unknown, but it could have been to compete for food with rhynchosaurs or as defense against larger predators, much like the sauropodomorphs at the time. Lisowicia bojani may have served the same ecological role of sauropodomorphs, the fossils of which are surprisingly lacking where L. bojani was found.

Originally posted May 19, 2021:

Species: †Vauxia sp.

About the Figure:
Series: Cambrian Life TOOB
Year of Release: 2013
Size/Scale: Figure height 6.0 cm; scale 1:1-2:1
Miscellaneous Notes: To my knowledge, this extinct species is the only representative of the sponges (Porifera) in toy form (except for those that may show up in diorama-style bases).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Cambrian to Silurian of present-day North America
Diet: Nutrients extracted from the surrounding water.
Miscellaneous Notes: Originally classified as a glass sponge, Vauxia is now considered a demosponge (the same group that includes bath sponges).

Originally posted May 21, 2021:

Species: †Postosuchus kirkpatricki Chatterjee, 1985

About the Figure:
Year of Release: 2008
Size/Scale: Figure 18.7 cm long. Measured along midline, body 21.5 cm for a scale of 1:18.6 (in quadrupedal pose)
Miscellaneous Notes: In 2013, a study on Postosuchus' skeletal structure proposed that the animal was an obligate biped, essentially rendering this Safari sculpt outdated. Yet, this remains of the more popular Safari 'dinosaur' figures. So far, there have been no figures by any of the major manufacturers showing the updated pose, but I predict that won't last long.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Triassic (Carnian to Norian) of present-day North America
Habitat: Tropical and subtropical forests, riparian areas
Diet: Predator on other animals
Miscellaneous Notes: When P. kirkpatricki was described in 1985, it was considered primarily a quadruped that could walk erect on two legs, albeit slowly. For most of its history it was considered a quadruped, until 2013 when a large-scale study on the skeletal structure of Postosuchus proposed it was an obligate biped, based heavily on the proportions of the limbs and that the weight-bearing sections of the spine were similar to several bipedal theropod dinosaurs.

Originally posted June 1, 2021:

Species: †Meganeura monyi (Brongniart, 1884)

About the Figure:
Series: Dinotales Series 4
Year of Release: 2003
Size/Scale: Wingspan 8.5 cm for a scale of 1:7.6-1:8.2
Miscellaneous Notes: Being one of the original Dinotales figures, assembly is required. As you can tell from a couple missing appendages on mine, this figure is rather fragile.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Carboniferous (Kasimovian-Gzhelian) of present-day Western Europe
Habitat: Riparian
Diet: Flying insects
Miscellaneous Notes: It is often believed that M. monyi was able to reach such a large size due to increased oxygen in the environment during the late Carboniferous (up to 35% as compared to roughly 21% today). Insects have a respiratory system whereby oxygen is taken directly from the environment to the internal tissues and organs. Increased oxygen in the environment could have supplied a passive boost with minimal effort on behalf of the animal, allowing for larger growth. This theory is still frequently debated, however.

Originally posted June 19, 2021:

Species: †Triarthrus sp.

About the Figure:
Series: Capsule Q Museum - Encyclopedia of the Paleozoic
Year of Release: 2015
Size/Scale: Body length 4.3 cm, within scale 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare (unique as a sculpt, see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: Minimal assembly required. The figure comes with a flat base on which it loosely sits; the base displays the animal's Japanese and Latin names. This figure is essentially a revamped version of the original Dinotales figure from 2002. Loyalists will say it is a brand new sculpt, but it is not. They may have refined some of the edges and of course the paint is different, but the Dinotales figure was the basis for this one.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Upper Ordovician of present-day eastern North America, China, and Scandinavia
Diet: Presumed soft-bodied invertebrates and/or scavengers or filter-feeder
Miscellaneous Notes: Specimens of T. eatoni in the Beecher's Trilobite Bed in New York are excellently preserved in iron pyrite. Specimens in iron pyrite have their gills, legs, antennae, and digestive systems well-preserved, which give paleontologists key insight into the anatomy and physiology of trilobites. These specimens also allow for a plausible reconstruction of its life history, as exuviae of immatures have also been discovered.

Originally posted June 21, 2021:

Species: †Tyrannosaurus rex Osborn, 1905

About the Figure:
Size/Scale: Body length 34.0 cm for a scale of 1:37
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very common
Miscellaneous Notes: Tyrannosaurus rex is the most commonly-made, and most scrutinized, species of dinosaur in the toy/figure world, quite possibly the most commonly made and debated animal in our hobby! Don't like tripod stances? Like feathers? Don't like feathers? Want lips? Don't care about lips? No matter what your take on T. rex is, there is something for everyone. I picked this figure for two reasons. One, I think it is a good compromise regarding the theory of a feathered T. rex while not being too gaudy. Secondly, when it comes to most of my dinosaurs, I am a Safari Ltd. loyalist, especially those sculpted by Doug Watson; his style is my favorite.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Cretaceous (Maastrichtian) of present-day western North America
Habitat: Subtropical plains, coastal plains, semi-arid plains, bayou-like habitats
Diet: Primarily a predator on other dinosaurs, including hadrosaurs, ceratopsians, ankylosaurs, and sauropods; also an opportunistic scavenger
Miscellaneous Notes: Much of what we now know about T. rex anatomy comes from the famous skeleton designated 'Sue'. Sue is one of the most complete and best-preserved specimens of T. rex, with over 73% of the skeleton recovered (90% by bulk). Despite a long, nasty history of fighting over the legal ownership of Sue, she now resides at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago, IL to be appreciated by all.

Originally posted June 27, 2021:

Species: †Thylacoleo carnifex Owen, 1859 (marsupial lion)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Southlands Replicas
Series: Australian Animals
Year of Release: 2016
Size/Scale: Figure length 13.0 cm. Height at shoulder 5.0 cm for a scale of 1:15-1:16
Miscellaneous Notes: The only other figure of this species I am aware of is by Cadbury in the Yowies Lost Kingdoms line, which is smaller and requires assembly.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Pleistocene of present-day Australia
Habitat: Woodlands, open scrub, semi-arid habitats
Diet: Presumably predator on other animals, possibly also an opportunistic scavenger
Miscellaneous Notes: Thylacoleo carnifex had bizarre morphology. Based on dentation, it appears to have evolved from plant-eating animals, something unusual among apex predators. It was strong, but not fast, and was probably an ambush predator. Its claws were retractable, unique among marsupials, and it probably had the ability to climb and may have cached prey in caves or trees.

Originally posted June 29, 2021:

Species: †Sidneyia inexpectans Walcott, 1911

About the Figure:
Series: Cambrian Life TOOB
Size/Scale: Body length (excluding appendages) 5.0 cm for a scale of 1:1-1:2.5
Miscellaneous Notes: The Cambrian Life TOOB allows for several unique or very rarely made prehistoric invertebrate taxa, this Sidneyia figure being one of the unique ones.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Early to Middle Cambrian of present-day western Canada
Diet: Hard-bodied marine invertebrates
Miscellaneous Notes: The phylogenetic position of Sidneyia is unknown but it is generally beleived to be related to, or nestled within, Chelicerata (which includes modern-day arachnids) or Artiopoda (which includes the trilobites).

Gwangi

So happy to see you doing a collection thread here, in addition to the one you have on the ATB.

bmathison1972

Originally posted July 1, 2021:

Species: †Elasmosaurus platyurus Cope, 1868

About the Figure:
Size/Scale: Figure 24.0 cm long. Measured along midline, body length 27.5 cm for a scale of roughly 1:45
Miscellaneous Notes: ATF/ATB and DTF/DTB founder and administrator avatar_DinoToyForum @animaltoyforum had input into the design of this figure! Long regarded as one of the favorite representatives of this species in toy form, this Safari figure might have gotten bumped by some collectors with the recent release of the 2021 model by CollectA. However, the proportions and overall form of this Safari figure might still be more accurate. The new CollectA figure has a tail fin, the presence of which is speculative but highly probable, but the tail might be too long and it appears to have a arched back which Elasmosaurus did not have.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Upper Cretaceous (Campanian) of present-day North America
Habitat: Pelagic
Diet: Fish
Miscellaneous Notes: Elasmosaurus platyurus (like other plesiosaurs) was not capable of raising its head above water as commonly depicted in earlier art and media (which further helps debunk the notion that the object seen in photos of the Loch Ness Monster are a plesiosaur).

Originally posted August 21, 2021:

Species: †Harpes sp.

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Paleocasts
Series: Trilobite Cast Collection
Year of Production: 2017
Size/Scale: Body length 5.5 cm, within scale 1:1
Miscellaneous Notes: Paleocasts is a line of prehistoric animals, mainly invertebrates, produced by artist Patrick May and sold on Etsy in the U.S. The figures can usually be purchased finished (as shown here) or unfinished.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Devonian of present-day Africa (especially Morocco)
Habitat: Marine, benthic
Diet: Filter feeder on marine invertebrates and detritus
Miscellaneous Notes: I had difficulty researching information on this genus. Characteristics of harpetid trilobites include the large semicircular brim of the cephalon that reaches back to or beyond the pygidium and the reduction of compound eyes to small tubercles. Harpes may have had poor vision and relied on touch sensations to find food in mud and sand on the ocean floor.

Originally posted September 15, 2021:

Species: †Acanthostega gunnari Jarvik, 1952

About the Figure:
Series: Dinotailes Series 2
Year of Production: 2001
Size/Scale: Body length 8.0 cm for a scale of 1:7.5
Miscellaneous Notes: Being one of the original Dinotales figures, some assembly is required. Yujin also made this species for their NHK Miracle Planet collection.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Devonian (Famennian) of present-day Greenland
Habitat: Shallow freshwater, including swamps, flooded wetlands, and river channels
Diet: Fish, aquatic invertebrates, possibly terrestrial animals near the water's edge
Miscellaneous Notes: Acanthostega gunnari is considered a member of the 'stem-tetrapods', early four-limbed animals there were a morphologic link between lobe-finned fish and true tetrapods. Despite the presence of four limbs similar to those in some land animals, A. gunnari spent most of its life in the water, only occasionally clambering onto land, perhaps in search of prey. The jaws, teeth, and shoulder girdle are more fish-like, and the backbone appeared too weak to support the body for prolonged periods of time on land.

Originally posted September 24, 2021:

Species: †Acutiramus sp.

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Takara Tomy A.R.T.S.
Series: The Great Old Sea 2
Year of Production: 2021
Size/Scale: Total figure length 12.5 cm. Body length (excluding claws) 8.7 cm. Scale species dependent, but would calculate to 1:18-1:29 for some of the largest species in the genus.
Miscellaneous Notes: Minimal assembly required. This figure was not marketed at the genus or species level; the identification is my own based on claw and telson morphology. The only figure I am aware of specifically marketed as Acutiramus is a model of A. macrophthalmus by Colorata. Interestingly, the two figures of 'Pterygotus' by Kaiyodo also appear to represent Acutiramus.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Silurian to Early Devonian of present-day North America, Europe, and Australia
Habitat: Marine, benthic; probably in shallow waters offshore
Diet: Soft-bodied animals, including marine invertebrates and possibly fish
Miscellaneous Notes: For years, Acutiramus was classified as a subgenus of Pterygotus. Separation of the genera can be done as follows: Acutiramus has a straight moveable finger on the chelae (claws) with the terminal tooth at an acute angle relative to the rest of the claw and a paddle-shaped telson (terminal abdominal segment) with a serrated margin and a row of knobs running down its center; Pterygotus has the moveable finger of the chelae curved inwards and a paddle-shaped telson with a smooth margin and dorsal keel running down its center.

Originally posted September 25, 2021 [extant, but ancient]:

Species: Triops longicaudatus (LeConte, 1846) (American tadpole shrimp)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Epoch
Series: Living Fossils
Year of Production: 2003
Size/Scale: Body length (including cercopods) 5.3 cm, within scale 1:1
Miscellaneous Notes: Assembly is not required and the figure is removable from its base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Western and central North America south throughout South America; introduced to Hawaii, Japan, Pacific Islands
Habitat: Alkaline freshwater ephemeral pools
Diet: Algae, freshwater invertebrates, tadpoles, small fry, organic debris; also cannibalistic
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes:Triops longicaudatus lives and breeds in ephemeral pools, and the drying of the water source is essential for their development, as eggs must dry out completely before being submerged in water again to hatch. Egg hatching is often tied with seasonal rains. Eggs hatch shortly after being submerged in water and the first stage larvae (metanauplius) start feeding on other aquatic invertebrates. The time from egg hatching to adult is roughly eight days. After reaching maturity, females lay eggs (usually parthenogenetically). As the water dries up, the adults die, although they can live for nearly 3 months if the water doesn't dry up. After the water does dry up, the eggs remain in the soil in a state of diapause; eggs can remain viable for up to 20 years without being exposed to water.

Originally posted October 12, 2021:

Species: †Hollardops sp.

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Bullyland
Series: Fossils Collection
Year of Production: 1998
Size/Scale: Body length 7.5 cm, within scale 1:1
Miscellaneous Notes: This figure was only sold generically as a trilobite, and the identification is my own.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Middle Devonian (Eifelian) of present-day Morocco
Diet: Presumably predaceous on marine invertebrates
Miscellaneous Notes: Like many other members of the Phacopina, Hollardops had large, prominent eyes characterized by very large, separated lenses each with its own cornea (schizochroal eyes). Its eyes also allow for a more panoramic view of the animal's surroundings, most-likely as a defensive feature to look out for would-be predators.

Originally posted October 6, 2021:

Species: †Hemicyclaspis murchinsoni Egerton, 1857

About the Figure:
Series: Dinotales Series 3
Year of Production: 2002
Size/Scale: Body length 7.5 cm for a scale of approximately 1:2
Miscellaneous Notes: Being an original Dinotales figure, some assembly is required. I believe this is the only figure of this species available by traditional commercial manufacturers; other figure I am aware of is a 3D-printed model available in Shapeways.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Upper Silurian or Early Devonian of present-day Canada, United Kingdom, Scandinavia
Diet: unknown, possibly a detrivore
Miscellaneous Notes: Hemicyclaspis murchinsoni was a primitive jawless fish. The mouth was located on the underside of the head, suggesting the fish was a scavenger on the ocean floor.

Originally posted October 28, 2021:

Species: †Acutiramus sp.

About the Figure:
Series: Capsule Q Museum - Encyclopedia of the Paleozoic
Year of Production: 2015
Size/Scale: Total figure length 8.5 cm. Body length (excluding claws) 6.5 cm. Scale species dependent, but would calculate to 1:25-1:38 for some of the largest species in the genus.
Miscellaneous Notes: This figure was based on the original Dinotales figure of the same animal, but does not appear to be 100% identical. Minimal assembly required and the figure is removable from its base. This figure was marketed as being in the genus Pterygotus but based on claw and telson morphology, it appears to be an Acutiramus. It may have been based on an older reference in which Acutiramus was still considered a subgenus of Pterygotus (see below).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Silurian to Early Devonian of present-day North America, Europe, and Australia
Habitat: Marine, benthic; probably in shallow waters offshore
Diet: Soft-bodied animals, including marine invertebrates and possibly fish
Miscellaneous Notes: For years, Acutiramus was classified as a subgenus of Pterygotus. Separation of the genera can be done as follows: Acutiramus has a straight moveable finger on the chelae (claws) with the terminal tooth at an acute angle relative to the rest of the claw, and a paddle-shaped telson (terminal abdominal segment) with a serrated margin and a row of knobs running down its center; Pterygotus has the moveable finger of the chelae curved inwards and a paddle-shaped telson with a smooth margin and dorsal keel running down its center.

Originally posted November 13, 2021:

Species: †Pleurocystites sp. (side bladder)

About the Figure:
Series: Dinotales Series 3
Year of Production: 2002
Size/Scale: Figure length 7.0 cm. Body (minus appendages) 2.0 cm for a scale of 1:1-1:2 depending on the species.
Miscellaneous Notes: Being one of the original Dinotales figures, some assembly is required.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Ordovician of present-day Europe and North America
Diet: Zooplankton
Miscellaneous Notes: Pleurocystids are known for their unusual morphologies among echinoderms, especially their long slender stems. Analysis of the stereom microstructure of the stem suggests the appendage functioned as a muscular locomotory organ, rather than for attachment to a substrate.

Originally posted November 19, 2021:

Species: †Protolindenia sp. (pedaltail dragonfly)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Rebor
Series: Standard Collection - 1:6 Compsognathus longipes Sentry
Year of Production: 2016
Size/Scale: Wingspan 8.0 cm; scale species-dependent, but within scale 1:1 for at least some species.
Miscellaneous Notes: This figure was sold as an accessory to a Compsognathus longipes figure (which, interestingly, was advertised at a 1:6 scale, so not in scale with this Protolindenia). I was lucky to get it from a collector who only wanted the dinosaur. The figure came with a tall wire base (not shown) from which it is removable.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Upper Jurassic of present-day Europe
Habitat: Streams, marshes, lakes
Diet: Presumably, nymphs were predators on aquatic invertebrates, small fish, and amphibians; adults predaceous on flying insects
Miscellaneous Notes: Protolindenia belongs to the family Petaluridae, which is represented today by five extant genera, including Petalura (Australia), Phenes (South America), Tachopteryx (eastern North America), Tanypteryx (Pacific Northwest), and Uropelata (New Zealand). In keeping with their ancient roots, petalurids are large dragonflies; the Australian Petalura ingentissima is usually regarded as the largest extant odonate with a wingspan of 16 cm.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on January 20, 2022, 03:29:18 PM
So happy to see you doing a collection thread here, in addition to the one you have on the ATB.

Thanks avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi - tomorrow's will be a dinosaur so I was motivated to finally do this.

Grimbeard

Really cool and varid collection with a nice, coherent "style". I like the way you present them in your post quite a lot and ESPECIALLY like the diorama the figures are presented in, they look great and enhance them quite a bit (also thank to great photography)!

Looking forward to future updates.

Nimravus

Hi Blaine, I follow your thread in the ATF.  I am really glad to have another thread to follow in the DTF. Many thanks for sharing! ;D

RobinGoodfellow

Thank you very much: a new collection thread with clean, well-done and pleasant images to look at.

Thanks for sharing  ^-^

bmathison1972

Thanks everyone!

With today's post I am back on track, so after today, posts will be periodic as they meet my 'prehistoric' criteria :)

Next up:

Species: †Regaliceratops peterhewsi Brown et Henderson, 2015

About the Figure:
Year of Production: 2018
Size/Scale: Body length (excluding nasal horn) about 16.0 cm for a scale of approximately 1:25-1:32
Frequency of species in toy/figure (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: Although having only been formally described in 2015, there are three standard-sized figures of this species available. The other two were made by CollectA (2017) and Creative Beast (2021), the latter of which requires minimal assembly and is articulated.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Cretaceous (Middle Maastrichtian) of present-day Canada
Habitat: Forests, swamps, grasslands, riparian areas
Diet: Plants
Miscellaneous Notes: Regaliceratops peterhewsi is known only from the holotype skull, which was discovered in the St. Mary River Formation in Alberta, Canada. Still, the skull is almost complete and well-preserved, giving us a fairly good idea of what at least the head of the animal looked like.

Brocc21

Been awhile since I've enjoyed a collection thread. The work you put into this really paid off!
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Concavenator

As others have noted, very nice collection thread. Have you thought about showing how you have it organized?

bmathison1972

Quote from: Concavenator on January 22, 2022, 10:53:42 AM
As others have noted, very nice collection thread. Have you thought about showing how you have it organized?

Organize this thread? or my collection? Posts for this thread are random. I use a random number generator aligned with the lines on an Excel file to decide which figure in my collection will be highlighted next. I do a species every day (give or take) on ATF, but only the the prehistoric ones are also here on DTF :).

As far as organizing my collection, it is taxonomic on shelves.

Thanks all! No posts today, as today's was a Play Visions soft tick LOL. But you can see it on ATF.

Shonisaurus

I am amazed by your thread, well presented photographs and detailed explanations of both the characteristics of the toy and the species represented from a scientific point of view. I never miss this graphic and visual thread.

Psittacoraptor

Wonderful presentation, scrolling through this thread is like visiting a museum! Thanks for sharing.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 26, 2022, 01:59:57 PM
I am amazed by your thread, well presented photographs and detailed explanations of both the characteristics of the toy and the species represented from a scientific point of view. I never miss this graphic and visual thread.

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on January 26, 2022, 02:08:54 PM
Wonderful presentation, scrolling through this thread is like visiting a museum! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you both! Now we wait for the next prehistoric critter to come up in my database  :))

Roselaar

Oooh, I love this collection thread! The pictures are amazing and the detailed description definitely adds informative interest to the fun! :)

Halichoeres

Glad to see you posting these here! I've gotten out of the habit of checking the ATF.

Since the Kaiyodo "Pterygotus" figures represent Acutiramus, are there any Pterygotus figures aside from the one from the Life game?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 30, 2022, 05:58:20 PM
Glad to see you posting these here! I've gotten out of the habit of checking the ATF.

Since the Kaiyodo "Pterygotus" figures represent Acutiramus, are there any Pterygotus figures aside from the one from the Life game?

No my knowledge, no. All the figures I have are Acutiramus, by the criteria I describe above.

Libraraptor

Nice backgrounds! They look very natural. Nice variety of figures, too! I will be following it from now on!

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 30, 2022, 07:32:28 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 30, 2022, 05:58:20 PM

No my knowledge, no. All the figures I have are Acutiramus, by the criteria I describe above.

Thanks!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: