News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

that's an expensive T rex considering it's only 19 inches long.

Too bad the Borealopelta is so small, only about 7 inches or so....blah.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on June 03, 2023, 05:04:01 PMthat's an expensive T rex considering it's only 19 inches long.

Too bad the Borealopelta is so small, only about 7 inches or so....blah.

7" is good, same as other products in the line.

Carnoking

Well, between random rare finds and various sales from Target and Amazon, I couldn't resist some of this new stuff from Mattel.

Spoiler

93 line is dope! Haven't seen the Red Rex in person yet, although the Target app informs me they're finally in stock at my local store which is precisely why I've been avoiding going back  :P

[close]

Spoiler

I had essentially given up on finding this Nothosaurus, and it was the only one I really wanted from the new ferocious packs seeing as it's the only one with any real connection to the franchise. But lo and behold, I happened to find it along with all of wave 2 at my rarely dependable Walmart. Still never saw the Elaphrosaurus or Austroraptor in person but I'm honestly willing to take the L on most of Mattel's original sculpts at this point.

That said, given how hard come by these smaller figures have been as of late, the collector in me won't pass them up if the opportunity presents itself. Plus, I really liked that new Herrera sculpt!

[close]

Spoiler

Honestly kind of wish I hadn't gotten into Mattel until after they started the Hammond Collection. These things are easily the best items they've done with the line and they make me regret buying so many of the earlier figures  :P

This last wave in particular was great! Easily some of my favorites so far!
[close]

Gwangi

Great shots avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking, thanks for sharing. I agree with you that I kind of wish I had started collecting Mattel only when the HC line started. There are a few mainline dinosaurs and characters that I would not have bothered buying had I known the Hammond Collection was coming. Then again, there are a few mainline figures that I skipped on and am now happy about it because of better HC versions. Pachycephalosaurus, Metriacanthosaurus, and Concavenator to name a few.

I've pretty much given up on all the smaller Mattel dinosaurs, stores refuse to stock them here and what few they have are all leftover from last summer. I did manage to get a Nothosaurus sent to me but the Herrerasaurus still eludes me. I guess hope is lost for the Einiosaurus.

SBell

I'm still seeing a surprising amount of nothosaurus, austroraptor and elaphrosaurus, at Walmart and TRU.

Sort of glad I haven't seen the Scutosaurus... stumbled upon one of the original releases exactly once, but probably wouldn't stop myself from overspending on this new one as well

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on June 07, 2023, 12:27:15 AMGreat shots avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking, thanks for sharing. I agree with you that I kind of wish I had started collecting Mattel only when the HC line started. There are a few mainline dinosaurs and characters that I would not have bothered buying had I known the Hammond Collection was coming. Then again, there are a few mainline figures that I skipped on and am now happy about it because of better HC versions. Pachycephalosaurus, Metriacanthosaurus, and Concavenator to name a few.

I've pretty much given up on all the smaller Mattel dinosaurs, stores refuse to stock them here and what few they have are all leftover from last summer. I did manage to get a Nothosaurus sent to me but the Herrerasaurus still eludes me. I guess hope is lost for the Einiosaurus.

I never saw the Einiosaurus anywhere for sale.

Sbell,none of those have showed up around here locally yet. just lots of last years product.

andrewsaurus rex

how come the first Mattel Scutosaurus  figures are going for around $250 and the one in the Track and Explore set is going for around $15 loose?  Are they not the same figure, just with different paint schemes?

Faelrin

I imagine it's a matter of distribution. The first one had terrible distribution, no doubt made worse due to the chaos caused by the covid pandemic back in 2020. This new one seems to be readily available at Target stores now?

I still owe my thanks to avatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83 for helping me to get my hands on that one back in the day. That reminds me I still need to finish up my review for it. Maybe this weekend. Though part of me also wants to hold off until I get the new one for a quick comparison shot. Maybe the Edaphosaurus as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on June 07, 2023, 05:23:52 PMhow come the first Mattel Scutosaurus  figures are going for around $250 and the one in the Track and Explore set is going for around $15 loose?  Are they not the same figure, just with different paint schemes?

I wouldn't mind finding the orange Scutosaurus loose for $15. I do not care for the vehicle a single bit.

andrewsaurus rex

well, look on Ebay.  One of the orange ones sold for $10.

Gwangi

On some JP collector groups I'm in I've seen quite a few people that only like the vehicle but not the Scutosaurus. Personally, I cannot imagine separating them. The Scutosaurus was my main motivation for getting the set but I like the deliciously retro vehicle and packaging too. It's the only Mattel product I display in the box, although if I get the new red rex that may change.

andrewsaurus rex

what's the appeal of the vehicle?

Gwangi

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on June 07, 2023, 10:24:56 PMwhat's the appeal of the vehicle?

It's an homage to a canceled Kenner toy A @andrewsaurus rex. So it mostly appeals to fans of the original Kenner line, like all the 93 classic toys are supposed to. Since it's based on a canceled toy from 1993 it also has a 90's aesthetic with odd colors, sharp angles, and contrast that 90's kids can apprechiate.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm happy with both, so far I've kept that set and my red rex in box.

Faelrin

A @andrewsaurus rex To add to what avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi said, the Scutosaurus that comes with the set is also based on another canceled Kenner figure, the Series 2 Scutosaurus.

http://www.jptoys.com/toy-database/jurassic-park/jurassic-park-series-2/prototypes/scutosaurus/index.htm

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on June 08, 2023, 04:59:04 AMA @andrewsaurus rex To add to what avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi said, the Scutosaurus that comes with the set is also based on another canceled Kenner figure, the Series 2 Scutosaurus.

http://www.jptoys.com/toy-database/jurassic-park/jurassic-park-series-2/prototypes/scutosaurus/index.htm

What the Mattel Scutosaurus could've and should've looked like. Was very disappointed when Mattel went the cheap route and skimped out on so much paint, when the Beyond the Gates concept artwork clearly showed that they had intended to replicate the Kenner colour scheme.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on June 08, 2023, 11:01:47 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on June 08, 2023, 04:59:04 AMA @andrewsaurus rex To add to what avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi said, the Scutosaurus that comes with the set is also based on another canceled Kenner figure, the Series 2 Scutosaurus.

What the Mattel Scutosaurus could've and should've looked like. Was very disappointed when Mattel went the cheap route and skimped out on so much paint, when the Beyond the Gates concept artwork clearly showed that they had intended to replicate the Kenner colour scheme.

I've mentioned this several times before. Mattel keeps taking the blame when it's usually a retailer issue. Additional paint apps drive up the cost, which Target doesn't want to pay or try and sell a product for even more than that. They have a price in mind and want it stuck to. At least there are always artists here and elsewhere that can repaint it for us if we want to shell out the extra bucks.

CityRaptor

This! So much this. That is the problem with retailer exclusives, something the companies are practically forced to make.

Missing stripe on Nedry's jeep? You know, the one some people make a huge drama over and even bring up several times a year and also when the Schleich ATV is reviewed, which costs like twice or three times as much? Can be most likely blamed on Target wanting a cheaper jeep.

You know the version of the Scutosaurus actually put out by Kenner back in 1997? A much simpler paintjob. Not even the Dino Damage wound is properly painted.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: