News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

I certainly don't see it as BotM v. PNSO.  I have large numbers of BotM ceratopsians in my collection - and very large numbers of PNSO, ranging from their original hollow vinyls, right the way across through their minis, their portrait bust bookends, bronze statues and current models. And some of their books, stamps etc. I find different things to value and enjoy in both companies' output.

EmperorDinobot

It feels like we are comparing apples to oranges. PNSO are models, and BOTM are action figures. I collect both figures and action figures, and if there was to be some kind of vs. battle, I would choose the BOTM tyrannosaurs over PNSO's product. I've been an adherent to the lipped theropods before "the paper" came out, and the toothy PNSO tyrannosaurs look kind of...especially toothy. They reminded me of IT when he does the toothy bit. I mean, they are REALLY toothy. I'm reading through older PNSO theropod reviews, and I suppose I could have criticized them then, but I was always more interested in dinosaurs that are not theropods anyways, save for the Therizinosaurus and Deinocheirus.
I suppose I am lucky for never having set up a PNSO bookshelf just for them, as I am now mildly dissuaded from owning any more than what I already have, except for species of dinosaurs I do not have many of, or groups I want to see better represented in my collection.

Bread

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 13, 2023, 11:38:51 AMI certainly don't see it as BotM v. PNSO.  I have large numbers of BotM ceratopsians in my collection - and very large numbers of PNSO, ranging from their original hollow vinyls, right the way across through their minis, their portrait bust bookends, bronze statues and current models. And some of their books, stamps etc. I find different things to value and enjoy in both companies' output.
Exactly. I really just don't understand this whole who's better than who argument.

I am surprised no one recalls the criticism towards Qianzhousaurus' mint/chocolate icecream coloration. An outlandish colorscheme PNSO used which resulted in mixed reactions. With this in mind, it has swayed my reaction to the use of browns, since PNSO probably knows that their models, specifically therapods, are more appealing to the large audience who prefers simplistic and dull colors on their therapods.

Medzo

Quote from: Bread on June 13, 2023, 01:24:33 PMExactly. I really just don't understand this whole who's better than who argument.

I brought it up, but I do stand up to my previous statement. I think BoTM's approach to use more contrasting and exotic colors is just more exciting. Not that I take their products to be better, as an adult collector I'm not fond of dinosaur action figures myself.

So I stay with collecting PNSO, but do praise BoTM coloring.

SRF

I know any color scheme for a theropod dinosaur is speculative, but how likely is it that these animals had very different color schemes from one another anyway? Earlier I was "complaining" about the colors of Daspletosaurus and supposedly Albertosaurus being so similar, but in modern animals we see the same similarities in colors and patterns between leopards and cheetas, while their builds are different from one another in a similar way. Would it even be plausible that a Daspletosaurus is green and a Gorgosaurus is blue, while some of their species lived alongside each other as top predators in the same environment?

When it comes to product differentiation I understand the critisism PNSO now receives. But almost everyone here finds scientific accuracy an important feature of their dinosaur models. So my question is, does the science back up different color schemes for theropods that are relatively closely related to one another?
But today, I'm just being father

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: SRF on June 13, 2023, 01:59:38 PMI know any color scheme for a theropod dinosaur is speculative, but how likely is it that these animals had very different color schemes from one another anyway? Earlier I was "complaining" about the colors of Daspletosaurus and supposedly Albertosaurus being so similar, but in modern animals we see the same similarities in colors and patterns between leopards and cheetas, while their builds are different from one another in a similar way. Would it even be plausible that a Daspletosaurus is green and a Gorgosaurus is blue, while some of their species lived alongside each other as top predators in the same environment?

When it comes to product differentiation I understand the critisism PNSO now receives. But almost everyone here finds scientific accuracy an important feature of their dinosaur models. So my question is, does the science back up different color schemes for theropods that are relatively closely related to one another?

panthera itself might have similar looking animals, but for example a panther is jetblack and its not even its own species , theres so much variability between animals, even if theire close. extant avian dinosaurs usually are beyond colorful and even their brown and wood patterns vary wildly, i get pnso but esp the stripes become a real issue, is it so hard to make still a brown but use spot patterns ( deer) bear single but shaded browns, lizard tail stripes only etc, basicly theres infinite ways to make natural colors yet they choose literally the same for alberto and daspleto, esp on the crest give one orangem other yellow its so damn easy and would give them twin brother energy, but sadly its the most conservative of conservative approaches and it turns people off

again pls panther gorgosaurus id kill for that , jetblack and yellow crest

but yes science most def covers basicly all ends on that, maybe not all out BOTM colours, but not all bears , cats etc share a colour dont they? and even when similar have significant differences somewhere, its even a biological feature to have a "mark of species" so they dont confuse each other like bird headfeathers etc.

the daspleto and alberto look so similar if theid met i bet good money theid lay pipes in each other, cause they could not tell the difference.

ceratopsian

We do actually have some evidence for colour in small feathered theropods - Anchiornis and Sinosauropteryx!  I think the evidence for colours in closely related living predators, whether birds or mammalian, won't come out as a simple binary either/or.  Nature is often complex.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 13, 2023, 02:31:17 PMWe do actually have some evidence for colour in small feathered theropods - Anchiornis and Sinosauropteryx!  I think the evidence for colours in closely related living predators, whether birds or mammalian, won't come out as a simple binary either/or.  Nature is often complex.

we also have it for some bigger non feathered dinos, the barealopelta was a hazelnut red brown mixed with ivory on osteoderms and "spots" of shades, the psittacosaurus overall had the same color as a red deer baby , spotted brown. hadrosaurs have grey elephantine pigment https

://blog.everythingdinosaur.com/blog/_archives/2020/01/11/thin-skinned-grey-duck-billed-dinosaurs.html

Remko

Quote from: SRF on June 13, 2023, 01:59:38 PMWhen it comes to product differentiation I understand the critisism PNSO now receives. But almost everyone here finds scientific accuracy an important feature of their dinosaur models. So my question is, does the science back up different color schemes for theropods that are relatively closely related to one another?

Meh. I think that many people pretend to find scientific accuracy important, even going so far as to nitpick on specific parts of the skull or number of osteoderms etc, and yes color. But color is something we will never truly know for most prehistoric animals, at least not in the near future. So what ever color you give a dinosaur figure, it's all conjecture and based on living animals.

Sure, a few collectors would find this important. But most of them, myself included will just accept any figure that's reasonably scientific accurate, and still looks good. I'm not someone who will intricately measure all parts of a figure.
Because if you'll do that, literally no figure is accurate.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on June 13, 2023, 02:52:35 PMhadrosaurs have grey elephantine pigment

For the record, that study looked at one small sample of preserved skin from one single hadrosaur, so it's a little premature to declare that all hadrosaurs were gray. Also, the authors themselves are pretty ambivalent about what you can actually say definitely about hadrosaur coloration based on their findings:

QuoteThe presence of eumelanin may imply a grey colour, similar to that of the skin of living rhinoceros and elephants. However, we did not detect chromatophores and there is insufficient evidence to determine the possible influence of skin structure, variables that are known to have an important role in determining the colouration of the skin in reptiles (Kuriyama et al. 2006; Lindgren et al. 2014). Therefore, we cannot reconstruct the original colouration of the hadrosaur definitively.

Eumelanin can also produce a variety of colors besides gray, depending on what other genes are active. I think we need to be really careful about making generalizations about dinosaur colors from the information we currently have.
Check out my customs thread!

stargatedalek

Some hadrosaur skin segments also preserve patterning, IE Edmontosaurus, so saying they were grey feels like a silly generalization.

SpartanSquat

One dino I hope to see a remake by PNSO is Shantungosaurus, the big chungus

Lynx

I personally care far less about how accurate the coloration is rather than if it looks nice, makes sense, and is 'different'.

My favorite models from PNSO are the ones that can use brown and other colors that make a model look different or stand out (like the Pinacosaurus and I'm definitely not biased because it's my favorite dinosaur). BOTM, mainly for the tyrannosaur series, does this too. They use browns, greens, etc, but still make it seem different.

Some examples of PNSO figures that use the same colors as most the other models but still look different include the Pinacosaurus, Carnotaurus, I-am-not-going-to-attempt-to-spell-that-so-let's-just-call-it-alioramus, Deinocherius, and several others. These are the models that I don't complain about color-wise. Not because the colors are 'more accurate' or 'make more sense', but because they just look nice and are different.

The tyrannosaur series (thus far, please don't take my comment like 3 weeks later and ramble about how the whatever-saur they just released is in fact super unique) does not accomplish this. As far as we've seen, these models look relatively similar. Put these figures next to one another, and they'll be barely noticeable or even able to tell apart, not by sculpt, but the colors muddle together from a distance. With so many brown models, it's hard to appreciate. As someone who focuses on color a lot more than anything else really, it's pointless to buy if it isn't 'different'.

It's reasonable, maybe even accurate that these species aren't miles away from one another, but that just doesn't appeal to me. I doubt this even applies to the mass majority, but I will gladly buy a figure with a few mistakes accuracy wise if it means that it'll stick out.

Since BOTM is so prominent in the recent conversation, and while I don't agree with the whole 'who's better', I might as well incorporate it since this reply is going everywhere anyway. I like BOTM not because of the accuracy, not because the figures have lips, but because the colors stand out. It brightens things up, it just looks nice. I will gladly buy a BOTM Tyrannosaur if it'll stand out. I love patterns, I love looking at things and feeling happy and enjoying them more than placing it on a shelf. I like to look at how each model stands apart and be able to appreciate that. And again, I doubt people will agree with this, but I think buying things because they look just plain unique and nice over accuracy is very reasonable. So I'll stick to that.

But PNSO just hasn't presented this. It's a super niche appeal of mine, but it's still something I'll complain about.

And I'm sure this is going to get someone quoting, "oh, but that's not what everyone wants", correct, that's why this is about me personally.

An oversized house cat.

Tracewyrm!

I'd love to see PNSO tackle large Hadrosaurs. Their Tsintaosaurus looks spectacular, but that pricetag? For that size? No amount of low polygon bases will get me to buy that. I know Safari and CollectA have their own ~1:35 Edmontosaurs but neither of them quite hit the mark for me, for one reason or another.

It's either that or a good 1:35 Essien remake. Or more proper sized Sauropods. Or a Ceratosaurus. Or a Yangchuanosaurus. Or a Dilophosaurus. Or Dromaeosaurs.. Or more Stegosaurids.. Or a Plateosaurus... You know, listing all these out makes me realise how much work PNSO has cut out for them once they end their Tyrannosaur wave.

If PNSO isn't going to go all vibrant with their colour schemes, like BotM (not saying the should, mind you), can they at least release these out of order? That'll do wonders when it comes to keeping their customers excited.
* (It's locked.)

Lynx

Man I'd love more ankylosaurs, I have all of them besides the big Ankylosaurus itself for budget reasons, but I need more
An oversized house cat.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Lynx on June 13, 2023, 05:38:12 PMMan I'd love more ankylosaurs, I have all of them besides the big Ankylosaurus itself for budget reasons, but I need more
Maybe I am reading the situation wrong but I thoight Sede was amongst the cheaper models

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 13, 2023, 06:52:03 PM
Quote from: Lynx on June 13, 2023, 05:38:12 PMMan I'd love more ankylosaurs, I have all of them besides the big Ankylosaurus itself for budget reasons, but I need more
Maybe I am reading the situation wrong but I thoight Sede was amongst the cheaper models
You are correct. It is even at its cheapest right now too since the Aliexpress sale.

Lynx

Last time I checked it was nearly 50 dollars for me
An oversized house cat.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Lynx on June 13, 2023, 07:09:32 PM

Heres a link its 22 on ali ships worldwide as far as i know

Ich habe gerade diesen erstaunlichen Artikel auf AliExpress gefunden. Probiere ihn aus! 22,40€  16%OFF | PNSO Detaillierte Dinosaurier Modelle: 13Sede Die Ankylosaurus
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Eu1Xu21

thomasw100

Quote from: Lynx on June 13, 2023, 07:09:32 PM

Lana Time Store has him for 23 USD right now.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: