News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Over9K on June 16, 2023, 07:01:03 PM
Quote from: SRF on June 16, 2023, 03:22:26 PMIs it just me or is this thread hardly discussing PNSO's releases for 2023 anymore?

When they hit us so frequently with new releases, it gets to the point where one MUST check the thread every day, and there are some folks that just can't pop into a thread, read and leave. They've got to say something.

I will query this:

In y'alls opinions, has PNSO yet given us a 2023 release that looks destined for the Top 10 for '23?

That's an interesting question. No, I don't think so. Between CollectA, Safari, and Haolonggood, and even Mattel, I can think of at least 10 figures I like more than anything put out by PNSO this year.

Stegotyranno420

The Mapusaurus and Meraxes could be canidates

Faelrin

Definitely plan on voting for Meraxes. Either gonna order that or the leaked Gorgosaurus next. Just waiting for that one to be revealed. As of now though, Meraxes is easily my favorite release from PNSO this year, and so far in my top ten based on what's released so far for this year (plus upcoming). Despite the lack of lips and high price point I like Cameron (and Sue skull) too, but hard to know if I'll include it in my top ten this year.

Not sure if I'm missing anything prominent, but here's most of this year's releases:

https://dinotoycollector.com/Browse/Browse.php?Year=2023
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 16, 2023, 07:11:37 PMThe Mapusaurus and Meraxes could be canidates
I'd say the Meraxes above Mapusaurus because of the stability issues I've seen with the Mapusaurus, but otherwise I agree.

What's going to be a heavy hitter in these top 10 list for this year would be Haolonggood. Just by the 7 new releases they have, almost certainly that more than half of these, maybe even all, will end up in people's top 10 votes. Reminds me of PNSO's 2020 glory year. ::)

Abobo

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 16, 2023, 07:11:37 PMThe Mapusaurus and Meraxes could be canidates

Meraxes for me, the striking paint scheme helps

Stegotyranno420

While i understand why the meraxes is more loved, personally I prwfer the Mapusaurus

ceratopsian

For me, probably not going to make it into the top ten even. Meraxes fails on the stability issue.  Let's hope there is something as outstanding as last year's Deinocheirus in the second half of the year to surprise us.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 16, 2023, 07:32:20 PMFor me, probably not going to make it into the top ten even. Meraxes fails on the stability issue.  Let's hope there is something as outstanding as last year's Deinocheirus in the second half of the year to surprise us.
That's a point, we do have a lot of year still ahead of us. Still time for PNSO to strut their stuff. But yeah, this current situation is certainly becoming tedious. It's a dramatic decline from the recent past. One really has to question their marketing strategy.

thomasw100

Quote from: SidB on June 16, 2023, 08:45:38 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on June 16, 2023, 07:32:20 PMFor me, probably not going to make it into the top ten even. Meraxes fails on the stability issue.  Let's hope there is something as outstanding as last year's Deinocheirus in the second half of the year to surprise us.
That's a point, we do have a lot of year still ahead of us. Still time for PNSO to strut their stuff. But yeah, this current situation is certainly becoming tedious. It's a dramatic decline from the recent past. One really has to question their marketing strategy.

If one reads the booklets that come with every PNSO figure, there is always some description of the grand plan they have. It could well be that they do not really have a market strategy in a classical sense, but some sort of longer term vision of which species they want to make etc. They seem to also have developed their style how they sculpt and paint the models and rather rarely deviate from this. I believe they have a very clear and strong vision of what they want to achieve. Further to that, they have developed their ecosystem with exhibitions, museum size models using several forms of paleoart. This has made them very popular and their models sell extremely well in China. For them it does probably not matter too much how their models are viewed in western countries and if the sales figures are great here.

SidB

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 16, 2023, 09:33:19 PM
Quote from: SidB on June 16, 2023, 08:45:38 PM

If one reads the booklets that come with every PNSO figure, there is always some description of the grand plan they have. It could well be that they do not really have a market strategy in a classical sense, but some sort of longer term vision of which species they want to make etc. They seem to also have developed their style how they sculpt and paint the models and rather rarely deviate from this. I believe they have a very clear and strong vision of what they want to achieve. Further to that, they have developed their ecosystem with exhibitions, museum size models using several forms of paleoart. This has made them very popular and their models sell extremely well in China. For them it does probably not matter too much how their models are viewed in western countries and if the sales figures are great here.
I strongly suspect that you are right. I won't say that western purchaser is completely peripheral, but we are clearly not the main market by what you say. "It is what it is".

Medzo

Quote from: Gwangi on June 16, 2023, 07:08:14 PMThat's an interesting question. No, I don't think so. Between CollectA, Safari, and Haolonggood, and even Mattel, I can think of at least 10 figures I like more than anything put out by PNSO this year.

Welp. I think Lucas is in top 10 right now without question. I understand it is not as "fresh" as a genus and also a remaster of a previous release. Still it is a bombastic figure.

Over9K

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 16, 2023, 07:28:26 PMWhile i understand why the meraxes is more loved, personally I prwfer the Mapusaurus

Same.

Not having any of them in-hand, it's the Mapusaurus that draws my eye. The pose, the colorway, if it has issues standing, I've got three or four ways to fix it.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Over9K on June 17, 2023, 03:58:35 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 16, 2023, 07:28:26 PMWhile i understand why the meraxes is more loved, personally I prwfer the Mapusaurus

Same.

Not having any of them in-hand, it's the Mapusaurus that draws my eye. The pose, the colorway, if it has issues standing, I've got three or four ways to fix it.
Yeah, I mean the Mapusaurus is an absolute  "gigachad" beast. I love theropods, and I love them big and strong yknow

SRF

Paleofiguras posted the first in hand pictures of the Daspletosaurus and Lythronax, including a comparison with Cameron. I'm on my phone now so can't easily share them here right now.

Seeing the three figures side by side, the differences in color are much more obvious. The base color of the Daspletosaurus is almost more of an off-white, with brown stripes on top of it. Meanwhile the Lythronax has some hints of green within the blended colors of the body.

I only hope that when the Albertosaurus releases, it turns out to be different enough from the Daspletosaurus as well, but for now I see enough variation in colour between the last three releases from PNSO.

All in all I definitely find both of them worth it to pick up eventually, but with a discount. At 44 euro a piece they now are significantly more expensive than what I paid for the Zhuchengtyrannus last year, so I'll be waiting for the next sale.
But today, I'm just being father

Samrukia

Joel1905

The in hand pics make the colours and patterns look so much more vibrant! PNSO need better photographers and lighting  ;)

The three of them compliment each other so well!

SidB

Quote from: SRF on June 17, 2023, 07:34:38 AMPaleofiguras posted the first in hand pictures of the Daspletosaurus and Lythronax, including a comparison with Cameron. I'm on my phone now so can't easily share them here right now.

Seeing the three figures side by side, the differences in color are much more obvious. The base color of the Daspletosaurus is almost more of an off-white, with brown stripes on top of it. Meanwhile the Lythronax has some hints of green within the blended colors of the body.

I only hope that when the Albertosaurus releases, it turns out to be different enough from the Daspletosaurus as well, but for now I see enough variation in colour between the last three releases from PNSO.

All in all I definitely find both of them worth it to pick up eventually, but with a discount. At 44 euro a piece they now are significantly more expensive than what I paid for the Zhuchengtyrannus last year, so I'll be waiting for the next sale.
Agreed that they do look appreciably distinct to justify a purchase, avatar_SRF @SRF . The first comments probably were excessively harsh due to the lack of the photos such as avatar_Samrukia @erlectric has posted. But like you, I'll be waiting for the next big sale.

Medzo

Okay, the Lythronax just leveled up big times in my eyes.

TheImmortalEye

Asi hoped the in hand pics are soooo much better like the sinraptor, hope the albertosaurus is now more distinct

Bread

The Lythronax looks great!

I am still not too keen on the Daspletosaurus, but until the Albertosaurus and Gorgosaurus are released, I will decide by then.

thank you for the photos erlectric!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: