News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on June 16, 2023, 03:29:19 AMYeah I hope this new competition from Haolonggood serves as a wake-up call to PNSO. Cheaper prices, multiple color options, and already more variety even though it's mostly herbivores this year. They've still managed to deliver dinosaurs from multiple groups this year, with 1 sauropod, 1 ornithopod, 3 ceratopsians, 1 ankylosaur, 1 stegosaur (or 2 thyreophorans), with a rumored megaraptorid on the way.

PNSO hasn't seen this sort of variety since like back in late 2020 and 2021 I think? This year is definitely PNSO's weakest as far as variety goes. Only theropods, and only theropods from 2 groups, carcharodontosaurids, and tyrannosaurids. Even though last year was theropod heavy, they did put out 1 carcharodontosaurid, 1 metriacanthosaurid, 1 ornithomimosaur, 2 spinosaurids, 1 therizinosaurid, and 1 tyrannosaurid, so at least some variety of the sort. Two of those theropods had feathers, and both the Deinocheirus and Suchomimus had very bold and unique colorations that stand out among the bulk of PNSO's other theropods (this year's Meraxes as well).

The only high ground PNSO might have at this point, especially if they continue going this way is being more diligent with their anatomical research, at least for the most part (controversial issues like lack of lips, "Nanotyrannus", and a few other minor anatomical issues here and there). Maybe the included artwork, but I think most people here are really just interested in the figures only.

Agreed. And Haolonggood is more attractive also because they provide two colour schemes for each of their species, which has several applications - show of sexual dimorphism, herd building (even with other models from other companies), and even just simple visual interest. From a marketing standpoint, you're already more likely to sell more figures this way.

I feel like that emphasises PNSO's current colouration tendencies even more, even if they are more scientifically accurate.

It's probably also cheaper to generate 1 mould and have 2 paint schemes, rather than concentrate on constantly making new moulds...

Faelrin

Ah man the Deinocheirus might easily be my favorite 2022 figure despite the tough competiton of like Eofauna's Diplodocus, Rebor's Kiss, etc. I mentioned as such in my upcoming review of it for the blog.

Also wow sad to say I forgot about the Cretoxyrhina (especially since it was a long overdue update to the Safari toob figure, but also finally another shark that isn't Megalodon for once). Another I'm way behind on getting. Hope it is still available through Aliexpress or like Happy Hen. Not available on Amazon so I hope it isn't retired already. :-[

Yeah I am really glad for that trend. It's something both Rebor and Nanmu have been doing for a while, so I'm glad Haolonggood is continuing that trend. You make a good point about having color variety gets more use of a mold. It's why we see numerous repaints and repacks from Mattel.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Faelrin on June 16, 2023, 04:18:34 AMAh man the Deinocheirus might easily be my favorite 2022 figure despite the tough competiton of like Eofauna's Diplodocus, Rebor's Kiss, etc. I mentioned as such in my upcoming review of it for the blog.

Also wow sad to say I forgot about the Cretoxyrhina (especially since it was a long overdue update to the Safari toob figure, but also finally another shark that isn't Megalodon for once). Another I'm way behind on getting. Hope it is still available through Aliexpress or like Happy Hen. Not available on Amazon so I hope it isn't retired already. :-[

Yeah I am really glad for that trend. It's something both Rebor and Nanmu have been doing for a while, so I'm glad Haolonggood is continuing that trend. You make a good point about having color variety gets more use of a mold. It's why we see numerous repaints and repacks from Mattel.

Most def get the cretorhina , its georgeos and dirtcheap esp now on sale , unironicly one of pnsos best .https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003478001178.html

Concavenator

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Out of the figures you mention, if you were to pick only one, I'd recommend going for the Meraxes.

It's the first and only available figure of this species (and a relevant one at that!). Yes, it may be a big carcharodontosaurid and so theoretically popular, but not sure when/if more companies will do more versions of it. Well, Ancestors stated they plan to make one, which will probably be released soon. Don't know if that would interest you, though. In any case, Giganotosaurus is usually the go-to when it comes to carcharodontosaurids from companies' perspective. On another hand, being among the most expensive of the figures you mention it would probably be a worthy purchase, considering the discount. Another point is that the Meraxes has that coloration that you could categorize as "flashy/elaborate" so if its paint app gets downgraded in future runs, it would be more obvious in comparison to figures that have duller colorations. I would take advantage now since the figure is freshly released.

The Suchomimus, Acrocanthosaurus and Borealopelta are also fantastic, they are really good figures of important species too. I'm ranking them lower than the Meraxes in this case though, as I know you like BotM stuff, and there will be a version of Acrocanthosaurus by them soon. Suchomimus is also a genus that was rumoured to be released in future BotM/Cyberzoic waves. And as for Gorgosaurus, there's the spectacular BotM one which I think I read you'll be getting too? In these cases, if you're interested in any of the Creative Beast versions, I personally wouldn't bother with getting another ones.

Onto the Borealopelta, I have it and I think it's great (even if the paint app is a bit sloppy), so I would recommend it too. That said, the CollectA version is also really good and it's certainly cheaper.

When it comes to the Yutyrannus and the Dunkleosteus, I would skip them. I guess if I were to choose one among those 2 I'd go for the Dunk? Yutyrannus is my 3rd favorite dinosaur of all time, so this goes to show that I don't recommend it (I had it but sold it). I mean, as a figure it's pretty nicely sculpted and painted (as usual with PNSO), it's accuracy where the problems are. It's not just the skull shape that's a bit off, its proportions are wrong too (head proportionally too small). And of course there's the lack of lips, which even though by itself may not necessarily be a dealbreaker, if you combine it with any other potential inaccuracies, it may be more bothersome. Here's the review avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy mentioned. You also have the gorgeous BotM Yutyrannus, which (articulation seams aside) is superior to the PNSO as a depiction of the animal, so I wouldn't bother with the PNSO. As for the Dunkleosteus, it's a popular enough animal that an updated version of it is probably a matter of time. It seems the new paper received a lot of attention, so that might help too. As a representation of "the older Dunkleosteus" it'd work I guess, though IIRC avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres found some issues with it even prior to the new paper. Still a cool figure, but I imagine if an updated version comes out, you'll also be interested.

Paleo Flo

The Acrocanthosaurus is still my favourite figure by PNSO. A real piece of art and worth the price.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

TheImmortalEye

we dont have any leaks regarding gorgosaurus right? only albertosaurus

Bread

Quote from: Flaffy on June 10, 2023, 02:30:24 PMSome leaks as well. I'm guessing Gorgosaurus and Albertosaurus

avatar_TheImmortalEye @TheImmortalEye both the Gorgosaurus and Albertosaurus were rumored.
Albertosaurus is the one in the running posture supposedly, and the Gorgosaurus in the looking down posture.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Bread on June 16, 2023, 01:09:03 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on June 10, 2023, 02:30:24 PMSome leaks as well. I'm guessing Gorgosaurus and Albertosaurus

avatar_TheImmortalEye @TheImmortalEye both the Gorgosaurus and Albertosaurus were rumored.
Albertosaurus is the one in the running posture supposedly, and the Gorgosaurus in the looking down posture.

but the above one is  daspletosaurus,   

EDIT: its seemingly is diff from pose

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Paleo Flo on June 16, 2023, 10:48:45 AMThe Acrocanthosaurus is still my favourite figure by PNSO. A real piece of art and worth the price.

I agree 100%

Faelrin

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Thanks for sharing all your thoughts.

I keep my BotM seperate from my static 1/35-ish models (same with my Mattel stuff), so I don't mind going for duplicate species in that case. I was unaware the PNSO got so many things wrong with the Yutyrannus. Again I have Safari Ltd, so I guess that one's a pass then. Who knows, Haolonggood may do one in the future too. I don't know if you saw it but Remko shared a new Dunkleosteus with the porportions made by David Krentz on shapeways (though it is a stylized cute one). I might pick up one of them later in the year.

I just ordered the Haolonggood Ouranosaurus, so I'd like to get the PNSO Suchomimus too (and eventually Safari's and Rebor's Sarcosuchus). Definitely one of their best released last year.

So I think my current wishlist is like this:

-Meraxes
-Suchomimus
-Acrocanthosaurus
-Borealopelta
-Cretoxyrhina
-Tarbosaurus
-Therizinosaurus
-Dunkleosteus (if only for the articulated jaw feature, perhaps will comission one to customize the body)
-Tyrannosaurus (Cameron)

No idea where the Gorgosaurus might fit in. It is a need I've had for years to display with my Safari Ltd 2019 Styracosaurus and the Lambeosaurus & Parasaurolophus pair though. And now with Haolonggood releasing an Edmontonia soon, Dinosaur Park formation fans getting spoiled out here.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Remko

I've read the Paleo Nerd blog on Yutyrannus, and maybe I read it wrong, but from what I understand it's not that bad.

Sure, the head might be too small for the body, and the shape of the head isn't all there, especially in the crests, but overall it's a pretty good figure. FAR better than the previous offer from Rebor.

SRF

Is it just me or is this thread hardly discussing PNSO's releases for 2023 anymore?
But today, I'm just being father

Sim

Yeah, the PNSO Yutyrannus is a great figure in my opinion.  I read the Paleo Nerd review too and I don't really see any problems with the figure.  The PNSO Borealopelta on the other hand not only has incorrectly coloured shoulder spikes, the shoulder spikes are also an incorrect shape.  That's the one I wouldn't recommend, especially when CollectA made a better version of it, one of their best.

postsaurischian

Quote from: SRF on June 16, 2023, 03:22:26 PMIs it just me or is this thread hardly discussing PNSO's releases for 2023 anymore?

It's not just you. It's a forum rule that has been constantly broken, which is widely accepted ::) .

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: SRF on June 16, 2023, 03:22:26 PMIs it just me or is this thread hardly discussing PNSO's releases for 2023 anymore?
take a shot everytime it turns into "hopes and dreams"

Sim

Maybe it's a sign of the level of blandness of PNSO's most recent releases?

Bread

Quote from: Sim on June 16, 2023, 04:17:58 PM
Truth be told this quite possibly why.

I don't see the problem as long as it isn't constant list of desires, plus as long as the OP is updated.

SRF

Quote from: Bread on June 16, 2023, 04:20:43 PM
Quote from: Sim on June 16, 2023, 04:17:58 PM
Truth be told this quite possibly why.

I don't see the problem as long as it isn't constant list of desires, plus as long as the OP is updated.

You're probably both right. Still, I hope to see some in hand photos of the last two releases every time I see that there's a new post in this topic.

Over9K

When they hit us so frequently with new releases, it gets to the point where one MUST check the thread every day, and there are some folks that just can't pop into a thread, read and leave. They've got to say something.

I will query this:

In y'alls opinions, has PNSO yet given us a 2023 release that looks destined for the Top 10 for '23?

SRF

Quote from: Over9K on June 16, 2023, 07:01:03 PM

When they hit us so frequently with new releases, it gets to the point where one MUST check the thread every day, and there are some folks that just can't pop into a thread, read and leave. They've got to say something.

I will query this:

In y'alls opinions, has PNSO yet given us a 2023 release that looks destined for the Top 10 for '23?

Cameron will definitely be in my personal top 10 (or top 1), but I can understand it when he doesn't make on the top 10 in general on this forum.

On the other hand,  in general I think the Meraxes is definitely a contender, while I personally am not interested in getting it myself.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: