News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Gwangi on June 13, 2023, 11:48:55 PMThe picture of it rearing almost sells it but then the last one with the wrinkled neck ruins it.

Precisely. Hopefully they're using a rubber that won't dissintegrate like Rebor's Titanoboa. IF I do get the HC Brachiosaurus, I'll have no intentions of ever fiddling with the neck wire, seems like a recipe for disaster. But bonus points for an unintentional "real feel" neck then I suppose.

stargatedalek

The wrinkling on the neck actually gives me hope. It looks more like the material the Kenner TLW figures (ie the bull rex) used.

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 14, 2023, 12:40:09 AMThe wrinkling on the neck actually gives me hope. It looks more like the material the Kenner TLW figures (ie the bull rex) used.

I just think it looks gross and because of that I would never use the feature, making it somewhat worthless. I also worry that if you bend it a lot you might not be able to aesthetically return it to a neutral position.

Flaffy

Quote from: MLMjp on June 13, 2023, 02:17:53 PMHolly molly, it's as big as the extreme chomping T.rex mold...

Isn't that a little bit too big, Mattel? You only had to make it a bit bigger than the Pentaceratops...
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on June 13, 2023, 02:30:14 PMI'm extremely disappointed at that Triceratops. We were all cheering for a bigger, somewhat almost 1/18th scale Trike since the HC was too small, and didn't have an articulated mouth. I don't need another colossal unless it's a sauropod, and THAT is but a necessary stretch.

"Seen peoples call the new Triceratops figure "Too Big" when in reality People have gotten so used to Mattel's smol trikes they've forgotten how big them bois are." @JurassicAddict

avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot The BotM Torosaurus and Triceratops literally shares the same body sculpt though.

EmperorDinobot

Is it pictured next to a Colossal T.rex or one of the main line rexes?

Ohh, and that is where my confusion stems from. That's the newer T.rex. I saw the pic again, and yeah, it's sized appropriately. My bad.

Faelrin

Little bit of an update to the op (first post). Added some of the new Uncaged, updated the Fierce Changers section, and a few other things updated. Have a bit more resorting, etc to do, but I'll get to it tomorrow maybe.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's a very nice figure, it's more in scale for it's body with what I think is a longer tail too?  That's the biggest drawback to the larger one. The tail is too short like most of their other pieces.

I like the action, being able to turn that head and open the jaws really adds some life to it.

Prehistory Resurrection

Last wave of Uncaged Wild Pop Ups revealed which includes a Pteranodon, Allosaurus, Atrociraptor Panthera and Indominus Rex.

Gwangi

Every time I see the Pop Ups it makes me miss Snap Squad. Such a downgrade.

EmperorDinobot

I saw the Indominus rex at Target. Very underwhelming. The first Mattel one is definitely the better one in terms of scale, action features and accuracy. The tail is longer though..

I love your Erlikosaurus skull @Blade Of The Moon

Faelrin

Man this thing is so beautiful. I can't believe they've managed to outdo the Legacy one. I wrote a long comment on the video below that I'll share here as well.

QuoteThis is such a vast improvement over the Legacy one, and that's saying something as it holds a lot of sentimental value to me as I got it after my beloved cat passed away in 2019 from cancer, and in a way it helped pull me through that rough patch in my life. Never mind it was the first huge Jurassic sauropod toy. Anyways, I'm blown away by this. My initial reception to the first pics out there had me a bit unsure about the sculpt and the coloration, but this clears those doubts away. The Legacy one was great for the time, but this has certainly dethroned it. I'm glad there's a rubbery neck too, even if the bendy feature doesn't work all that well. Tactile wise I think it'll help it feel more "real" then the plastic does, and is something I wanted the Legacy one to have. The additional limb and tail articulation also fixes the only main gripe I had with the original, which was the lack of ability to do the famous and beloved rearing pose. Love that the head matches up better with the Stan Winston animatronic, and the coloration looks quite close to what's used on the maquette, animatronic, and final ILM model film shots. I appreciate you pulling up Crash's artwork of the head. Looking at it, I think the older Legacy figure's head sculpt resembles it, where again, this new HC nails the animatronic look. Like you said they both have their own strengths, and it'll be great to give my Legacy Brachiosaurus a "friend" after all these years.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on June 15, 2023, 10:32:07 PMEvery time I see the Pop Ups it makes me miss Snap Squad. Such a downgrade.

Agreed. These miss the charm of the Snaps.

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on June 16, 2023, 12:27:17 AMI saw the Indominus rex at Target. Very underwhelming. The first Mattel one is definitely the better one in terms of scale, action features and accuracy. The tail is longer though..

I love your Erlikosaurus skull @Blade Of The Moon

I like it pretty good, great fit for the basic mainline. The original just needed better proportions.

Thanks! So that's what it is! lol I got it from Shane Foulkes who I think got it from Dan LoRusso? I saw some pics of him with it though I suppose it could be a similar one.

Gwangi

My opinion on the HC Brachiosaurus has greatly improved after watching that review. Shame about the neck though, the feature looks practically worthless. I still don't think I like it enough to buy it though, I feel pretty maxed out on big sauropods and we still have the Mamemchi on its way.

ItsTwentyBelow

Well, I for one have zero interest in acquiring the HC Brachiosaurus, since I already own the Legacy one and am perfectly happy with how it displays and plays. Having the real-feel neck is not worth it at the cost of that hideous bendy wire feature, which is likely going to be a point of failure, too. Great it can rear up this time, but I'm not clamoring to get one. I definitely don't feel like I need to have everything.

After acquiring the terrific Legacy Brach, Apato, and Dreadnoughtus (which is still in its box), I will have room for possibly ONE more giant sauropod, and that space will go to the Mamenchisaurus. I love that we're getting that dinosaur!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I might get one, it is a different and more detailed sculpt, looks a lot like the animatronic as mentioned. I will probably leave it in the rearing pose though and never touch that neck.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Any idea when the Wave 3 minis will be released?

Faelrin

So on Mattel Creations, it looks like there's a hint of a Jurassic Park Gate (and possibly other stuff) set that's to be part of a crowdfunded campaign on there. Thought I'd give folks a heads up. Looks good for the small preview they showed. Can't imagine folks are going to be pleased about the crowdfunding aspect though. No idea why they couldn't just make this a Legacy set, unless they didn't think it would sell at all.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on June 21, 2023, 11:54:09 PMSo on Mattel Creations, it looks like there's a hint of a Jurassic Park Gate (and possibly other stuff) set that's to be part of a crowdfunded campaign on there. Thought I'd give folks a heads up. Looks good for the small preview they showed. Can't imagine folks are going to be pleased about the crowdfunding aspect though. No idea why they couldn't just make this a Legacy set, unless they didn't think it would sell at all.

Jurassic Outpost confirmed it the Gates themselves that are being crowdfunded.
https://jurassicoutpost.com/what-have-they-got-in-there-king-kong/

Not much paint on them, but maybe a lightup feature ? Sound FX would also be great.  Crowdfunding should be great as I think everyone can pledge for it? Not as exclusive?  My guess is Target didn't want to carry just a set of gates, I recall they were at least partly against large playsets for the line?  I'm definitely interested as they claim they will be huge..so I'm guessing truly in scale.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: