News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Happy Hen Toys - Buying Guides

Started by HappyHen, May 16, 2023, 05:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

Yeah, Battat set a very high bar with their release back then. I will probably never stop lamenting that Dan LoRusso's Terra repaint never made it to shelves.

Out of the pictured toys here, I think Collecta and PNSO stand out the best. The Collecta is huge, of course, so it has a bit of an unfair advantage; but it has a really good sculpt and composure too. The PNSO, of course, is the most refined of the bunch hands-down.
I actually don't own either of these (yet?); I also have the old Battat, and the Safari Ltd. figure was my current model of choice. Admittedly it doesn't photograph quite as well as the Collecta and PNSO versions, but it's a great design overall with the most appealing color scheme of the bunch. The Schleich honestly doesn't look too bad here either; a more creative color scheme would probably do it wonders.

That Papo repaint, though... I'm going to say it, the repaint looks more like a bootleg than a legitimate product. Yeesh.

ceratopsian

True to my nickname here, I favour ceratopsians.  I have four of the Happy Hen lineup: Wild Safari, CollectA, PNSO and the red Papo.  One of the few Papo dinosaurs I have in fact - and it brings back happy inter-continental travel memories, as I bought it on a visit to the Utah Field House of Natural History in Vernal.  I very rarely get the opportunity to buy any of my dinos in a physical shop! And like the other forum members above, I love my Battat.  Of this lineup, I rate my PNSO most highly.  As you say, Happy Hen, it's the details in the less obvious places, like the back of the frill, that lift it - but it's definitely not for all budgets.  My other favourite is the CollectA.  I love its bulk and shelf presence - just wish it lacked the quills.  And your article makes me think I should swap its display position so it sits next to my two Deluxe CollectA Triceratops ("normal" and Melbourne Museum) from last year.  They'd create quite an impact I think.  The Papo is indeed very dramatic in pose - but its neck strikes me as very thin to support its hefty skull and frill - and very elongate.

HappyHen

Dilophosaurus Time.

Here are the comparison pictures from when we took a look at the Dilophosaurus Dinosaur Figures.

Here is the link to the original buying guide:
https://www.happyhentoys.com/dilophosaurus-dinosaur-toy-reviews.html

Will have some new content coming our shortly.  Am very excited to see what y'all think of it when it is released.

Kevin

Bread

A genus that was featured in Jurassic Park, although super inaccurate depiction/behavior shown, still has yet to have a good figure.

I even have to agree with the number one spot being Papo due to the model's size as Dilophosaurus is not as small as we once though.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on June 21, 2023, 03:18:15 PMA genus that was featured in Jurassic Park, although super inaccurate depiction/behavior shown, still has yet to have a good figure.

I even have to agree with the number one spot being Papo due to the model's size as Dilophosaurus is not as small as we once though.

Papo does well when basing their work on existing accurate pieces, like the this one using the Dinosauria design. Safari is pretty good too.

Bread

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 21, 2023, 03:28:46 PM
Quote from: Bread on June 21, 2023, 03:18:15 PMA genus that was featured in Jurassic Park, although super inaccurate depiction/behavior shown, still has yet to have a good figure.

Papo does well when basing their work on existing accurate pieces, like the this one using the Dinosauria design. Safari is pretty good too.
Yes, rarely the case for Papo to-do so. But isn't the Safari based on the now outdated thin/smaller reconstruction? Meanwhile it is not depicted as rather bulkier and bigger?

Gwangi

I wouldn't say "still has yet to have a good figure". A lot of these were decent for their time, the times have just changed. We definitely need a new and improved Dilophosaurus.

Sim

Dilophosaurus's size hasn't changed, it's just now known to have been more robust at least in its skull and for its crests to have started earlier on the snout than previously thought.  The 2020 Safari Dilophosaurus was made before these changes were known and it is outdated.  Its nostrils also are too far forward.  The only one of these figures that was made after the changes to Dilophosaurus's appearance is the newer CollectA version, but for some reason its crests don't start early enough on the snout, instead referencing older work.

I personally think most of these figures aren't great.  The only ones I'd say are decent are the Papo and newer CollectA, but these were still flawed even for when they were released.  I agree a new, improved Dilophosaurus figure is needed, it seems it's up to PNSO or Haolonggood!

Gwangi

PNSO probably wouldn't give it lips, so Haolonggood... this task is appointed to you. And if you do not find a way, no one will.

I would say that the 2008 Safari was decent for its time. I have that one and Battat's. I have no interest in any of the ones currently available.

Sim

I wouldn't mind a lipless Dilophosaurus from PNSO.  I find Dilophosaurus looks good without lips, same as spinosaurids.  But I think a lipped version from Haolonggood could be phenomenal!

Bread

Just my opinion I guess, but I still don't think we've ever gotten a solid Dilophosaurus figure. Sure maybe Safari's, but I still found it a little odd looking.

Regardless of the points made, I still hold this as my opinion of the lack in not only Dilophosaurus figures but the quality as well.

HappyHen

Archaeopteryx Time and our BIG ANNOUNCEMENT.

Happy Hen Toys, has hired a Paleontologist to review the figures for accuracy
as judged against the fossil record that exists.  Here is the link to our first episode.
(we have published 2 so far with more episodes in the works)

https://youtu.be/Bv_GGlwy_lM

If you like it - give it a like and subscribe. If you don't like it - tell us how to improve it

I know we have room for improvement on the overall production, but let me know
if the content should be different (more detail, less detail) - let me know

We also will be doing livestream Q&A so see the instructions on how to sign up for those notices.

Here are the pics of the Archaeopteryx

Hopefully you will find the videos useful.  Again, any feedback is appreciated.

HHT

HappyHen

Microraptor Time.

Happy Hen Toys has hired a Paleontologist to review the figures for accuracy
as judged against the fossil record that exists.  Here is the link to our second episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAr4d2uzHv4

If you like it - give it a like and subscribe. If you don't like it - tell us how to improve it

We also will be doing livestream Q&A so see the instructions on how to sign up for those notices.

Here is a link to the Microraptor Buying Guide:
https://www.happyhentoys.com/microraptor-dinosaur-toy-reviews.html

Here are the group pictures of the Microraptor:

Hopefully you will find the pictures and videos useful.  Again, any feedback is appreciated.

HHT

Gwangi

These videos are some good early efforts from you guys. If I had one suggestion it would maybe be to introduce Jorge more formally. His full name, education, and place of study or employment, so we know who we're getting our info from. If you don't want to state it in the video maybe include it in the video description. Keep up the great work!

HappyHen

Quote from: Gwangi on July 03, 2023, 05:13:11 PMThese videos are some good early efforts from you guys. If I had one suggestion it would maybe be to introduce Jorge more formally. His full name, education, and place of study or employment, so we know who we're getting our info from. If you don't want to state it in the video maybe include it in the video description. Keep up the great work!

Gwangi
Thank you for the feedback.  We had that specific debate on that question and decided to leave it out of the individual videos just in case some issue ever arose (he changes jobs, etc.), we won't have to edit it out of all the videos. 

That said, we are going to do a channel introduction video where he talks about his specific experiences and background.  Then if any sort of issue ever arises, we would only need to edit that one video.

The introduction video is on the schedule for the next filming session.  Currently he is on a dig expedition right now so we are releasing the episodes we filmed before he left as they get edited (we didn't get to the intro during the last session because the camera was overheating after the episodes we shot LOL)

We are trying to create something that adds value.  Hopefully the community will find these videos useful.

Kevin

Gwangi

I think there's definitely something of value here. We have the blog, and there are tons of review channels, but nothing quite like this where a paleontologist compares all the given models of a specific animal. It's a great and novel concept.

Halichoeres

This is a great idea, especially for new collectors who are curious enough to care about the actual paleontology!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

HappyHen

Mosasaurus Time.

Happy Hen Toys has hired a Paleontologist to review the figures for accuracy
as judged against the fossil record that exists.  Here is the link to our third episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0-nlPDyXIc

We also will be doing livestream Q&A so see the instructions below the
video on how to sign up for those notices.

Here is a link to the Mosasaurus Buying Guide:
https://www.happyhentoys.com/mosasaurus-dinosaur-toy-reviews.html

Here are the group pictures of the Mosasaurus:

As always, feedback is appreciated.

HHT

Gwangi

I enjoyed that episode the most out of the three you've done so far. And part of that is because there was more info, so I think more info is good. If you've got a paleontologist you might as well make use of him!

It's a shame that both the new and old CollectA Mosasaurus were not included but I understand that you might not have them in stock, and might not get them either.

An image of the Safari anaconda flashed on the screen when pythons were mentioned but anacondas are boas, not pythons. Oops! Great video all the same.

Faelrin

I agree with avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi it would have been nice to see the most recent (if not previous) CollectA Mosasaurus included, but understandable if you do not have it on hand.

Also man Safari Ltd is way overdue for a new Mosasaurus. Schleich's is far from accurate, but even so it is way more up to date then Safari Ltd's older take on it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: