News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, November 09, 2022, 01:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

How does it feel to have the shoe on the other foot theropod people? This year Papo is doing good marine reptiles instead!

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: SidB on August 06, 2023, 05:51:31 PMIf you liked the Papo Baryonyx, you'll probably like this one.
The Baryonyx is high art compared to this
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Ludodactylus

If I saw it without any context, I would never have guessed that the Concavenator is a Papo release. I don't think I even would have guessed Schleich. It just feels so completely unlike anything else Papo has put out, you have to wonder if there's some secret story behind its existence - did someone at Papo lose a bet, and putting this into production was the cost of losing?
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Stegotyranno420

Never has a papo figure made me angry. Everytime I try to hope they restore themselves they make it worse!  My goodness how hard is it!?
avatar_Sim @Sim I agree, ever since dinosaurs started being marketed "for kids", a terrible mistake, it has been insulting to the audience's intelligence. They just think if we see spikes and it looks like a T-rex( not a T.rex, a T-rex) we will drop all our savings on it.
Few things on the site had made me this infuriated.
I know its just a toy, but that is the problem, it is JUST a cheap toy, no higher level detail, accuracy, nothing!

Ivántirrophus

Is this the first Papo's zombie dinosaur. why we see its ribs? 4 tails?

Papo giganoto is a masterpiece compare yo this.

postsaurischian

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 06, 2023, 08:38:11 PMHow does it feel to have the shoe on the other foot theropod people? This year Papo is doing good marine reptiles instead!

:))  :))

GiganotosaurusFan

Normally I don't comment on Papo, but oh dear, this one looks like it jaywalked during rush hour!
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

SidB

Quote from: Skorpio V. on August 06, 2023, 07:26:04 PM
Quote from: SidB on August 06, 2023, 05:51:31 PMIf you liked the Papo Baryonyx, you'll probably like this one.

The Papo Bary blows this out of the water! Sure they're speculative and out there, but the sculptor of the Baryonyx (and thankfully most of Papo's sculpts from that era) brought a level of realism and fine detailing that match PNSO's releases from today. Thankfully, I think judging by their style of sculpting that they did the Kronosaurus.

Sidenote, I never understood the harshness toward the Baryonyx. Was it just that the skull was too long and people personally didn't like the spikes? It's interesting how the proportionally shorter legs are a little more plausible now.
Apart from the skull and the spikes, it was the stance that always threw me off. Nick-named it the loo-osaurus. Sorry, you asked.

Carnoking

I'm sorry, I can't go over this. I'm honestly in disbelief that a thing like this exists from the company that first got me into this hobby.
How did no one on the design team step back and see how far south this was going?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Carnoking on August 07, 2023, 01:45:56 AMI'm sorry, I can't go over this. I'm honestly in disbelief that a thing like this exists from the company that first got me into this hobby.
How did no one on the design team step back and see how far south this was going?
It's like they are deliberately trying to kill our hope!

But at the same time, the Kronossaurus is cool

Gwangi

Worse than anything put out by Schleich over the last couple years.

Saarlooswolfhound

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi, I second you. Schleich has been on the downward side of dinos for some time but even the things they produce aren't close to this... it crosses too many- actually ALL- of the lines! The sculpted underside of the ribcage... what is that?!? Then you have the weird denticles which as mentioned before does kinda make my skin crawl (just like those Vietnamese toads that hatch their babies in pockets in their own skin!), the feathering is just not well sculpted. Period. And lastly, the paint scheme does zero favors for it.

Looking at the promo photo for it again, the "ribcage" I THINK is supposed to be more like armored plating/enlarged denticle-like scales. They look like they mirror the same structures on the top distal end of the muzzle and down the dorsal line from it's shoulders to its "hump". I also think the dark spots are supposed to be similar, reminiscent of the structures you see on ankylosaurids. However they intended it look... it could not have pulled off and presented for sale to the public in any worse way... what a shame.

For me, despite its innacuracies, I like the Krono MUCH more.

Perotorum

Does anyone know where to find eye bleach, I can no longer see any beauty in the world, burn it, burn it so that it may never disgust us in such a way again, it makes Charles R. Knight look like Prehistoric Planet in terms of accuracy.

Stegotyranno420

You know, this experience taught me something-

Humanity is always most united in common hatred, not love

Over9K

Quote from: Dinoxels on August 06, 2023, 03:12:43 PMit hurts to look at

Huh... I thought the Sean Cooper/Star Ace Concavenator would be the ugliest one for this year.

Bread

Quote from: Over9K on August 07, 2023, 09:17:29 AM
Quote from: Dinoxels on August 06, 2023, 03:12:43 PMit hurts to look at

Huh... I thought the Sean Cooper/Star Ace Concavenator would be the ugliest one for this year.
At least there is no exposed rib cage with this one.

stargatedalek

I wonder if the Concavenator was originally going to be in one of the fantasy lines (like that ammonite kraken a few years ago) and was repurposed into the dinosaur line because they had no theropod for the year and got panicked. It would explain the different sculpting style and exposed ribcage.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 06, 2023, 09:02:23 PMNever has a papo figure made me angry. Everytime I try to hope they restore themselves they make it worse!  My goodness how hard is it!?
avatar_Sim @Sim I agree, ever since dinosaurs started being marketed "for kids", a terrible mistake, it has been insulting to the audience's intelligence. They just think if we see spikes and it looks like a T-rex( not a T.rex, a T-rex) we will drop all our savings on it.
I know its just a toy, but that is the problem, it is JUST a cheap toy, no higher level detail, accuracy, nothing!
No personal offence meant here but, restore themselves to what? An unlicensed JP clone company? An unlicensed sideshow statues copy company? At least the last few years Papo has actually been making conceptually original stuff! I'll happily take the Papo Baryonyx over another copy cat JP rex or JP Spinosaurus.

GojiraGuy1954

this figure gives me AI vibes
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Lynx

I think this is due to the new dinosaur sculptor that showed up a year or two ago (Conav, that one ceratopsian, etc) The Kronosaurus and Mosasaurus are made by the old one (who made the brachiosaurus, the Tyrannosaurus, the velociraptors, the bary, etc)
An oversized house cat.

Ikessauro

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 07, 2023, 02:05:36 PMI wonder if the Concavenator was originally going to be in one of the fantasy lines (like that ammonite kraken a few years ago) and was repurposed into the dinosaur line because they had no theropod for the year and got panicked. It would explain the different sculpting style and exposed ribcage.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 06, 2023, 09:02:23 PMNever has a papo figure made me angry. Everytime I try to hope they restore themselves they make it worse!  My goodness how hard is it!?
No personal offence meant here but, restore themselves to what? An unlicensed JP clone company? An unlicensed sideshow statues copy company? At least the last few years Papo has actually been making conceptually original stuff! I'll happily take the Papo Baryonyx over another copy cat JP rex or JP Spinosaurus.

I for once would prefer they continue making decent JP style dinosaurs than these bizarre ones. I am ok with a daring pose or speculative scales. But common! This one looks like a zombie!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: