News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, November 09, 2022, 01:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

My actual reaction, I apologize.

Ludodactylus

There's a... lot... going on there.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

BlueKrono

That's gonna trigger someone with trypophobia.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

PrimevalRaptor

That...really is a stark contrast with the Kronosaurus (which looks pretty neat, probably not the best one on the market with Safari/CollectA out there but more marine reptiles are always a plus)
I don't think some speculative integument is /bad/ per se but...this just does not look real, the poor guy looks like he's melting. The right arm sticking to the body doesn't help there at all.
Really kind of a shame cause Papo's usual style would have gone really well with Concavenator.

Dinoxels

The exposed "rib cage" is hilarious.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Faelrin

Is that its rib cage exposed? Bruh.

And I thought the Protoceratops from last year was horrifying. This is somehow worse.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Saarlooswolfhound

um... I am usually very forgiving of dino interpretations but uh... I think I gotta draw the line on this one.

Quiversaurus

It really hurts to look at, it looks like it's in a lot of pain...

SidB

If you liked the Papo Baryonyx, you'll probably like this one.

JimoAi

NGL it looks like one of Dr Mephesto's creations

Concavenator

They really did me dirty.  :'(

Bread

Quote from: SidB on August 06, 2023, 05:51:31 PMIf you liked the Papo Baryonyx, you'll probably like this one.

I actually think the Papo Baryonyx is decent. It's definitely a "movie-monster" take similar to their quadrupedal Spinosaurus.

But this Concavenator is not only a "movie-monster" but it is also just gross to look at. I am sorry for really laying out my opinion here.

Stegotyranno420

neither the Papo Baryonyx nore the Spinosaurus look like movie monsters, but animals. Yes, very brutal, maybe even exaggerated ones, but still animals.

This Concavenator makes schliech look good.
Seriously, looking at the Cryo, the Giganotosaurus, Allosaurus, you'd expect a good midsize theropod but Noooo!

PrimevalRaptor

You know I thought they were going for some weird osteoderms or sth like crocodile bellies but I cannot unsee that exposed ribcage now. Welp
Also I think that the Papo Baryonyx is leagues above this one like yeah it is more monsterized like some jacked-up Todd Marshall drawing but I vastly prefer that over whatever this is.
I still have a sliver of hope for the Einiosaurus but...this is not very confidence inspiring.

BlueKrono

Omg, its ribcage... Dino Damage, lol!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Pliosaurking

Why is the rib cage exposed?!...
It's definitely a gruesome figure in my eyes

Skorpio V.

Quote from: SidB on August 06, 2023, 05:51:31 PMIf you liked the Papo Baryonyx, you'll probably like this one.

The Papo Bary blows this out of the water! Sure they're speculative and out there, but the sculptor of the Baryonyx (and thankfully most of Papo's sculpts from that era) brought a level of realism and fine detailing that match PNSO's releases from today. Thankfully, I think judging by their style of sculpting that they did the Kronosaurus.

Sidenote, I never understood the harshness toward the Baryonyx. Was it just that the skull was too long and people personally didn't like the spikes? It's interesting how the proportionally shorter legs are a little more plausible now.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Sim

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 06, 2023, 06:43:49 PMneither the Papo Baryonyx nore the Spinosaurus look like movie monsters, but animals. Yes, very brutal, maybe even exaggerated ones, but still animals.
I agree the Papo Spinosaurus looks like an animal, but the Baryonyx doesn't in my opinion with whatever that stuff on its back is.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 06, 2023, 06:43:49 PMThis Concavenator makes schliech look good.
And I agree with this.  I never thought it would happen but it has.  This Concavenator is fiercely insulting to intelligence and I genuinely think it's the worst dinosaur toy ever.  It's sad to see this from Papo.

Quote from: Skorpio V. on August 06, 2023, 07:26:04 PMSidenote, I never understood the harshness toward the Baryonyx. Was it just that the skull was too long and people personally didn't like the spikes?
Its skull is Spinosaurus's as one can tell by the nostril position and the elongation at the front.  The spikes are absurd, its pose is cartoony and the arms being held so close to its mouth make it a poor toy and just looks silly.  Oh, and it has breasts.

Bread

Quote from: Sim on August 06, 2023, 07:33:37 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 06, 2023, 06:43:49 PMneither the Papo Baryonyx nore the Spinosaurus look like movie monsters, but animals. Yes, very brutal, maybe even exaggerated ones, but still animals.
I agree the Papo Spinosaurus looks like an animal, but the Baryonyx doesn't in my opinion with whatever that stuff on its back is.
If Papo's Spinosaurus didn't have an eel-like tail and such robust arms, then sure I'd consider it "almost a real animal"

But at least in my eyes, it's a near movie-monster. The overly-brutal and exaggerated tones are often characterizations of movie monsters. Heck, even Rebor's Kiss & Tusk could be put here as again overly muscled and toned prehistoric animals are often depicted this way in pop-culture.

Just to add about the Papo Baryonyx, people often said it had "godzilla vibes" due to its back spikes and reared up position.

With all these criticisms for just these 2 models alone, you'd think something like this Concavenator would be avoided, but nope, good ol' Papo.

Carnoking

Wow that is... painful. Is that its ribcage? Exposed??

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: