News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 26, 2023, 03:53:11 AM
Quote from: Quiversaurus on August 26, 2023, 03:37:18 AMI can't stop staring at it... So great that they got the feet sculpted correctly, even though it seems like a tripod.

Hope it's close to 1:35 scale too, imagine putting this guy next to PNSO's!
It does look like a tripod but one of those tripods that can be implemented and still look naturally posed. Like Safari's Coelophysis (even though my Coelophysis stands without tail support)

Agreed, I'm imagining him looking up from grazing, as if something has alerted him!

TheCambrianCrusader

Good lord that Theri is quite the looker! Almost regret spending all that money on the pnso  :))

SRF

Since I have the PNSO Therizinosaurus I don't need this one from Safari, but I think I'll probably pick this one up for my son eventually. This is by far the most impressive release from Safari since their feathered T. rex.
But today, I'm just being father

ceratopsian

That took me by surprise - impressive and attractive. A shame it is a taxon already well represented by the PNSO model. I imagine this Safari might gone into planning long before the PNSO hit the market. Although I wish it depicted a different therizinosaur to give broader coverage of the family, I like this release so much I'll certainly buy it when it reaches the UK.

edu

Really really nice! I don't have PNSO's, i'll pick this up!

Sim

This Therizinosaurus looks VERY nice, but I prefer PNSO's so I'll stick with that one.  I too wish it had been a different therizinosaurian, I think I would have definitely bought it then.  Still, it's nice that one obvious gap in the Wild Safari prehistoric line has been filled (a therizinosaurian), now I think the only obvious gap left is for a prosauropod/basal sauropodomorph.  I really hope Safari releases a Plateosaurus next year.

Safari's prehistoric lineup for this year is excellent, it's even managed I think the rare feat of not having any tyrannosauroid, ceratopsid or allosauroid.  I think this Therizinosaurus will sell very well!

Flaffy

Ending the reveals with a bang! A very pleasing Therizinosaurus, and easily the best affordable toy on the market. Beats out its Papo and CollectA competitors no doubt about that.

Pros:
- Very pleasing colour scheme, full of details and subtleties
- Great sculpt, incorporates what we know of therizinosaurs (and therizinosaurus itself) well

Cons:
- Same issue I have with the Stegouros, the belly and tail scales feel far too large. Especially so since therizinosaurs were maniraptorans
- Feathers end abruptly near the head like the Yutyrannus. Not a big fan, would've preferred a more subtle transition.

PrimevalRaptor

Now that really is a grand finale of a reveal, damn. We've been a bit in a need of a nice feathered updated Therizinosaurus in a lower price range for some time (was not too fond of the wing feathers on the CollectA one so I stuck with my Great Dinos one) lovely sculpt and coloration (the claws are INSANE) and the blue is a nice touch.
Do agree the transition from scales/feathers on the head is a tiny bit abrupt but that doesn't really detract from the rest of the model, really stunning.

Lynx

THIS IS THE BEST THERIZINOSAURUS I HAVE SEEN IN YEARS OH MY GOD
After a kinda eh baby Brachiosaurus repaint, this exceeded my expectations. This is the best Therizinosaurus figure I have ever seen that isn't from a resin kit, even better than the PNSO model.

The colors, the pose, the detail, everything is just incredible, especially by Safari standards, which are already high.
An oversized house cat.

Fembrogon

I love it; at the risk of repeating everyone else, it looks like one of Safari's very best, and I'll happily display it accompanying the PNSO. I LIKE it when a genus has multiple (good) options on the market to choose from.

Honestly my only lament is that we still don't have a Segnosaurus, Nothronykus, or Falcarius yet. Obviously Therizinosaurus is the biggest and most famous member, but so much of what we know about it depends on those other, better-preserved relatives that it almost seems criminal they've been ignored by all the major toy companies.

spinosaurus1

Finally, a therizinosaur figure that shows off their insane toes claw morphology. Many people talk about the large size of the claws on their forelimbs, but many miss that the claws overall on therizinosaurs were massive.

Leyster

Quote from: Concavenator on August 26, 2023, 02:24:22 AMIt's often said Therizinosaurus is unique among theropods, but that's not really true, what are unique are therizinosaurs themselves. Therizinosaurus is simply a generic therizinosaur (yes, the biggest and most famous, but these are not very relevant factors to me). To give an example, it would be a bit like Zhuchengtyrannus in Tyrannosauridae (not totally equivalent, though).

Therizinosaurus IS unique, its claw morphology is only its own (Quin et al. 2023)
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fembrogon on August 26, 2023, 07:06:04 PMI love it; at the risk of repeating everyone else, it looks like one of Safari's very best, and I'll happily display it accompanying the PNSO. I LIKE it when a genus has multiple (good) options on the market to choose from.

Honestly my only lament is that we still don't have a Segnosaurus, Nothronykus, or Falcarius yet. Obviously Therizinosaurus is the biggest and most famous member, but so much of what we know about it depends on those other, better-preserved relatives that it almost seems criminal they've been ignored by all the major toy companies.

Pitch that group to PNSO..lol they can do them all in order.

Ivántirrophus

Horrible baby Brachio.
Therizinosaurus is a good figure, but is a pass for me. I have pnso's and papo's Theri.

Doug Watson

Quote from: SpartanSquat on August 26, 2023, 01:29:18 AMThis is really nice!
Doug you did freedy krueger fellah?

Yes

Quote from: SidB on August 26, 2023, 02:34:01 AM
Quote from: Skorpio V. on August 26, 2023, 02:07:50 AMLOOK AT THE CLAWSSS!! INSANE sculpt and paint gradient to them. Slam dunk.
Seems so! Very impressive. I just hope that it's no smaller than 1/35.

It's 1:35

SidB

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 26, 2023, 09:34:42 PM
Quote from: SpartanSquat on August 26, 2023, 01:29:18 AMThis is really nice!
Doug you did freedy krueger fellah?

Yes

Quote from: SidB on August 26, 2023, 02:34:01 AM
Quote from: Skorpio V. on August 26, 2023, 02:07:50 AMLOOK AT THE CLAWSSS!! INSANE sculpt and paint gradient to them. Slam dunk.
Seems so! Very impressive. I just hope that it's no smaller than 1/35.

It's 1:35

Well, that seals it for me, a 1/35 - it doesn't get any better. A sure fire purchase as soon as available. Thanks, Doug!

Bread

Instant pickup for me then.

Cheaper, colorful, and 1:35 scale!?
Safari definitely takes the win over PNSO on this one.

Pliosaurking

Seeing as don't own PNSOs and it's 1:35 scale, this is a definite pickup for me!

CarnotaurusKing

Other than the Kentrosaurus (I'm indifferent towards repaints), Safari Ltd has been pumping out winners this year, and this Therizinosaurus is no exception. Might've preferred a Nothronychus, Alxasaurus or Neimongosaurus, but this is the best Therizinosaurus available, and one of Safari Ltd's best. Love the girth and the feathering.

MLMjp

Look at that Therizinosaurus!

Now this is the stuff! This is the first Safari figure that has managed to truly impress me in a long time. Takes me back to pre-pandemic years when Safari released some of their best.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: