News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Quote from: suspsy on August 19, 2023, 07:30:47 PMI find it puzzling how so many people are raving about how the Safari Stegouros' size. Yes, it's a good deal smaller than the CollectA version, but it's still far too big to be in scale with any of the ankylosaurs from Safari, CollectA, PNSO, or any other company. The real Stegouros was only about as tall as a grown man's knee. This toy is around the same size as the Safari Zuul or the Battat Euoplocephalus.

Personally  I'd rather have a figure the size of my hand than something the size of my arm being the only widespread option.

Scale wise though, I don't quite understand.
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

The Dino Zoo one is 1/35 scale but definitely has limited reach to one that's mass produced like one from Safari Ltd. While the Safari Ltd one is still much larger then 1/35 scale (1:11-1:12 scale as Doug mentioned prior), it's also a good deal smaller then CollectA's 1/6 scale. For folks with limited space, I imagine either the Safari Ltd, or if they can obtain one of the even smaller Dino Zoo ones, would be more preferable.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SidB

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 19, 2023, 07:37:13 PMIn my case is because while I don't particularly collect based on scale, I prefer that an animal that was the size of a large dog is not larger than my Triceratops.
I can appreciate that it could never have been a 1/35 or 1/40 th scale product (far too small for Safari), but I wish it had at least been about 1/25 as a compromise so that my collections could have accommodated it.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: suspsy on August 19, 2023, 07:30:47 PMI find it puzzling how so many people are raving about how the Safari Stegouros' size. Yes, it's a good deal smaller than the CollectA version, but it's still far too big to be in scale with any of the ankylosaurs from Safari, CollectA, PNSO, or any other company. The real Stegouros was only about as tall as a grown man's knee. This toy is around the same size as the Safari Zuul or the Battat Euoplocephalus.

While the overwhelming majority are less welcome to larger scales, I've seen pushback from models like PNSO minis that were too small, even though they fit into widely accepted scale ranges like 1:40. It's a difficult thing to juggle since smaller figures require a level of preciseness and care to manufacture where a larger one can get away with eyeball paint being misplaced by a few microns. Plus, a small model is going to result in the cost not being very far off from the cost of a medium model. That makes buying a medium one a more likely sell for the bang-for-your-buck casual buyers that will look at a 5-centimeter Protoceratops in 1:40 scale for $6 and buy a $10 one at triple the size that that is not only harder to lose but on top of that is not a choking hazard for a kid they may have in the house that can enjoy its accuracy just as much.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

SidB

Quote from: Skorpio V. on August 19, 2023, 11:02:03 PM

While the overwhelming majority are less welcome to larger scales, I've seen pushback from models like PNSO minis that were too small, even though they fit into widely accepted scale ranges like 1:40. It's a difficult thing to juggle since smaller figures require a level of preciseness and care to manufacture where a larger one can get away with eyeball paint being misplaced by a few microns. Plus, a small model is going to result in the cost not being very far off from the cost of a medium model. That makes buying a medium one a more likely sell for the bang-for-your-buck casual buyers that will look at a 5-centimeter Protoceratops in 1:40 scale for $6 and buy a $10 one at triple the size that that is not only harder to lose but on top of that is not a choking hazard for a kid they may have in the house that can enjoy its accuracy just as much.
Battle of the markets and the 1/35 scale collectors are just a niche after all.

Shane

Jose S.M.

I noticed that the Instagram story had a writing below the photo that said "remaining 2023 reveals dropping today" that has been cropped on all other out publications about the baby. I wonder if it was a mistake and it was supposed to be announced later or if it means something for today.

Shane

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 25, 2023, 04:40:00 PMI noticed that the Instagram story had a writing below the photo that said "remaining 2023 reveals dropping today" that has been cropped on all other out publications about the baby. I wonder if it was a mistake and it was supposed to be announced later or if it means something for today.

The remaining 2023 reveals will be previewed today. There will be images but not full galleries or product pages at this time.

Faelrin

Baby Brach here (repaint of the original sculpt):

Another repaint of an older figure, which is even still available, unlike the prior Kentrosaurus which had been retired for a number of years. I do like the coloration here though (weird vertical pupil aside), and it would be great to see an adult like this.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SidB

Roar

C:-) I wouldn't call it new, it's a repaint. Bleh. Was excited thought they would be doing a new brach bébé. Nope!! So.... More Dino's?
Onwards to adventure!

Shane

Quote from: Roar on August 25, 2023, 05:17:32 PMC:-) I wouldn't call it new, it's a repaint. Bleh. Was excited thought they would be doing a new brach bébé. Nope!! So.... More Dino's?

1 more dino.

Flaffy

Can't say I'm excited for this one at all. Considering the old one is still sold everywhere.

ceratopsian

It would have caught my eye when I was a small child.

Roar

Quote from: Shane on August 25, 2023, 05:18:39 PM
Quote from: Roar on August 25, 2023, 05:17:32 PMC:-) I wouldn't call it new, it's a repaint. Bleh. Was excited thought they would be doing a new brach bébé. Nope!! So.... More Dino's?

1 more dino.
Woohoo hope it's not a repaint. And a brand new one. Can't wait! Thanks.
Onwards to adventure!

DinoFan2010

Judging from the colors, the baby Brachio does seem to be part of the Dino Dana line.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Skorpio V.

Gives me hope for a Dino Dana Brachiosaurus adult with a new sculpt in 1:35 scale ;D

The spines are a bit much but I really like the three rows it has just behind the head!
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Dinoxels

1 more dino.
Will the reveal be today?
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Shane

Quote from: Dinoxels on August 25, 2023, 08:38:38 PM

1 more dino.
Will the reveal be today?

Yes.

(Check Instagram)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: