News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: suspsy on August 30, 2023, 04:31:37 AMI do so dearly hope that this means we'll finally be getting more prehistoric miniatures. Fingers crossed!

I rarely see bootlegs of PNSO's larger figures, but didn't their dinosaur miniatures get bootlegged pretty much immediately? I wonder if that's what's kept them from making any new ones for five solid years.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Would be pretty disappointing if that was the case why there haven't been any since. Their minis were some of my favorites, not the least because of the great taxa choice (Anchiornis, Glyphoderma, Odontochelys, Sinosauropteryx, Tianyulong, Yi and many others), but the small size lends to room for more, and great for fiddling around with. It was a great way to get out many figures of smaller animals as well.

So many I've had on my wishlist for them that would do well in that size.

Just off the top of my head Caihong, Kulindadromeus, Serikornis, and Zhenyuanlong are just a few I've wanted smaller figures of for a while now, and there's plenty more that could be done as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 30, 2023, 04:36:43 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 30, 2023, 04:31:37 AMI do so dearly hope that this means we'll finally be getting more prehistoric miniatures. Fingers crossed!

I rarely see bootlegs of PNSO's larger figures, but didn't their dinosaur miniatures get bootlegged pretty much immediately? I wonder if that's what's kept them from making any new ones for five solid years.

I sure hope not, especially considering that CollectA, Papo, Safari, and Schleich products have been getting bootlegged for years now. And LEGO has literally dozens of imitators whose bricks are fully compatible with theirs. It pretty much comes with the territory.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stegotyranno420

I seen hundreds of Papo Schliech, Rebor ones, but very few, if at all, Safari CollectA PNSO and Haolonggood.

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 31, 2023, 01:27:08 AMI seen hundreds of Papo Schliech, Rebor ones, but very few, if at all, Safari CollectA PNSO and Haolonggood.

There was a knockoff of the Haolonggood Dricraeosaurus going around on Aliexpress for some time. Other than that I can't say I've seen any other.

PNSO if you want to count TNG's Cryolophosaurus. But even that's a "somewhat" original sculpt.

I bet there are CollectA knockoffs, we just have to dig for them, especially on Aliexpress.

DragonRider02

Quote from: Bread on August 31, 2023, 02:33:49 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 31, 2023, 01:27:08 AMI seen hundreds of Papo Schliech, Rebor ones, but very few, if at all, Safari CollectA PNSO and Haolonggood.

There was a knockoff of the Haolonggood Dricraeosaurus going around on Aliexpress for some time. Other than that I can't say I've seen any other.
Gr Toys/Haolonggood carcharodontosaurus also has a knockoff.
QuoteI bet there are CollectA knockoffs, we just have to dig for them, especially on Aliexpress.
There are hundreds of CollectA (and Safari) bootlegs on Aliexpress and you don't need to dig deep for them at all.

Bread

Quote from: DragonRider02 on August 31, 2023, 03:36:53 AM
Quote from: Bread on August 31, 2023, 02:33:49 AM

Gr Toys/Haolonggood carcharodontosaurus also has a knockoff.
QuoteI bet there are CollectA knockoffs, we just have to dig for them, especially on Aliexpress.
There are hundreds of CollectA (and Safari) bootlegs on Aliexpress and you don't need to dig deep for them at all.

I forgot about the Carcharodontosaurus. I think I rarely saw that one, and it was more so the Dricraeosaurus that appeared in my feed.

I can't recall a Safari or CollectA bootleg I've seen recently. Maybe because I don't pay enough attention to knockoffs.

suspsy

I've come across knockoffs of the CollectA Achelousaurus and Styracosaurus alongside other cheap dinosaur toys at Dollarama. And at TRU, I've seen knockoffs of the Safari Miragaaia, the Papo Triceratops, and the Schleich T. rex. 
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ceratopsian

There is currently a very close bootleg of the CollectA Bajadasaurus showing up as Oenux on AliExpress.  And a fairly close one of the CollectA Diabloceratops, different colours but same pose and same quills.

BlueKrono

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 31, 2023, 02:55:08 PMThere is currently a very close bootleg of the CollectA Bajadasaurus showing up as Oenux on AliExpress.  And a fairly close one of the CollectA Diabloceratops, different colours but same pose and same quills.

I couldn't find it. Oenux appears to have hundreds of bootlegs of well-known companies, but I didn't see the Bajadasaurus among their offerings. Do you have a link?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ceratopsian

Here you are avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005302382650.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.21.6a116c8eDLpHrK&algo_pvid=943c8897-46d9-49b9-a7c9-adf484b287a5&algo_exp_id=943c8897-46d9-49b9-a7c9-adf484b287a5-10&pdp_npi=4%40dis%21GBP%2110.23%213.53%21%21%2192.14%21%21%40211b88ee16934932569718226e0477%2112000033841291077%21sea%21UK%213166597368%21&curPageLogUid=d7l52nyEtsqo

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 31, 2023, 03:46:18 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on August 31, 2023, 02:55:08 PMThere is currently a very close bootleg of the CollectA Bajadasaurus showing up as Oenux on AliExpress.  And a fairly close one of the CollectA Diabloceratops, different colours but same pose and same quills.

I couldn't find it. Oenux appears to have hundreds of bootlegs of well-known companies, but I didn't see the Bajadasaurus among their offerings. Do you have a link?

Halichoeres

I've recently been poring over AliExpress and YoyCart listings looking for a few figures from Xidi, Recur, etc., which means sifting through a lot of crap because their search functions are terrible, and I've seen many, many knockoffs of CollectA figures. But certainly the Papo and Schleich knockoffs are more common.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Carnoking

What can I say? I like Tyrannosaurs.

Cole the Daspletosaurus

Spoiler

This guy is still a little lanky for my taste but it's got one lovely headsculpt

Look at those nice proportionate teeth.

Uh-oh, looks like there's a slight neighborly dispute.

[close]

Tristan the Gorgosaurus

Spoiler

Love the tentative pose of this guy, plus the patterning and accent color are great

I'm still not used to that head shape on Gorgosaurus but I'll get over it.

[close]

Wally the Albertosaurus. I guess Albert was too obvious a choice.

Spoiler

Serious kudos are in order for that pose. Can't believe PNSO engineered something like this that works. It's actually more stable than some of the more neutrally posed figures!

But that's a face only a mother could love...

That and a muddy paint job are enough to make this my least favorite of the group. But it's all saved by that audacious pose.

[close]

Keynes the Lythronax

Spoiler

Another great pose, another lovely paint job.

Seriously, how can you say no to that face?

"Just play it cool"

"Darn."

Only real drawback for me is the bigger size, but this one's pose, paint and sculpt are enough to win it the favorite award.

[close]

A Royal Quartet

#meandtheboys

Bread

Wonderful photos avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking!

I too favor the Lythronax, even if it is slightly out of scale.

Just gathering some comparisons here, I noticed DinoDragons on youtube had listed proposed scale estimates for each model.

1:33 Albertosaurus and Gorgosaurus

1:35 Tyrannosaurus (Cameron) and Daspletosaurus

1:30 Lythronax

So all in all, they're not too out of scale I guess.

edu

Great pictures, avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking
What about the headsculpt in the Gorgosaurus? It's not the typical "profile" i am used to, and it doesn't seem to match the adult skeletals... it may have been discussed before, sorry... it's under plaussible interindividual variability, it's a juvenile skull or it's just... the sculpt?
I think the pose in the Gorgosaurus is superb, by the way.

The pose on the Lythronax is similiar to what we have seen so far of Eofauna's t-rex. I didn't like it when they showed it, but it doesn't look so forced here.

Bread

E @edu The Gorgosaurus head sculpt resembles TMCI 2001.89.1 which is an adult specimen.

Correct me if I am wrong, but pop culture generally used the younger specimen(s) skull on adult reconstructions like Papo's which is based off of 3D WWD.

edu

gorgosaurus pnso superimpossed skull by Eduardo Vázquez, on Flickr

avatar_Bread @Bread, thanks for the answer. I have done with my limited capabilities this image, superimposing the skull of an adult Gorgosaurus. My point is that in the figure, the skull, the snout, seems to tapper too much. I just don't see how can its shape match the skull

Screencap taken form Dinodragons great review.

Faelrin

E @edu dinosndragons did a really good detailed job covering this topic in his review of the figure. I'd highly recommend checking the video out.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

edu

Quote from: Faelrin on September 01, 2023, 08:29:46 PME @edu dinosndragons did a really good detailed job covering this topic in his review of the figure. I'd highly recommend checking the video out.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin we may have posted at the same time. Great great review, that's where the images come from. But as i said, there is something off going on with the shape of the snout, imo.

SRF

Wonderfull photos avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking!

I'm also still not used to the headsculpt of the Gorgosaurus. While I do feel the Daspletosaurus is too lanky, with all the figures in hand I actually prefer it over the Gorgosaurus. For me the Albertosaurus is also the weakest of the group, with the Lythronax as an easy winner.

No use to really compare these four to Cameron as well, since that one really stands out as a flagship model to me.
But today, I'm just being father

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: