News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renecito

Dayong the Yangchuanosaurus shangyouensis

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

SRF

I wonder how long it will take before PNSO releases a figure that isn't brown or a theropod, or both.
But today, I'm just being father

thomasw100

Not another standard theropod. It is really enough now. There are other groups of dinosaurs. Not just standard theropods. This is not fair any more. I am really frustrated. Will this endless wave of theropod after theropod ever end? My money will go to Haolonggood and Dinosauria Creatures.

thomasw100

Quote from: SRF on September 03, 2023, 01:10:26 PMI wonder how long it will take before PNSO releases a figure that isn't brown or a theropod, or both.

I would be happy if it were not a theropod. This is number 11 in a row. And honestly if they would at least give us one just one different one, maybe even an unusual theropod like another therizinosaur or a gigantoraptor or even a spinosaurid that would be OK. But this is just so frustrating. I worry that this is just the beginning of a wave of Methricantosauridae. But do I see lips on this one?

Chasmosaurus

This figure seams to have lips?
Or I'm making a mistake?
Too bad the lacrimal crest isn't bigger.
L @Leyster I'm curious to know your opinion on this figurine?
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

JohannesB

A beautiful update on their older Yangchuanosaurus model, if a bit small (1:40?), but maybe they proceeded from older, refuted information/hypothesis(?). And it has lips :-) Maybe we'll get a Chungkingosaurus next ;-)

Bread

Yes! I was actually pondering on whether or not to order the old Yangchuanosaurus as I never thought PNSO would make this one again, but it has lips? Why out of all of them, this has lips? I am super happy about this, but again, why now?

Quote from: Chasmosaurus on September 03, 2023, 01:20:53 PML @Leyster I'm curious to know your opinion on this figurine?
Same, since his review on PNSO's Sinraptor was comparing the two genuses.

Gwangi

It might be another brown theropod but this one has lips and they go a long way towards piquing my interest in this instance. I have not gotten any PNSO theropod this year (plan on getting the Megalosaurus) but I might have to get this one.

thomasw100

Quote from: Bread on September 03, 2023, 01:51:18 PMYes! I was actually pondering on whether or not to order the old Yangchuanosaurus as I never thought PNSO would make this one again, but it has lips? Why out of all of them, this has lips? I am super happy about this, but again, why now?

Quote from: Chasmosaurus on September 03, 2023, 01:20:53 PML @Leyster I'm curious to know your opinion on this figurine?
Same, since his review on PNSO's Sinraptor was comparing the two genuses.

Maybe someone managed to convince them that lips are correct. I am afraid that this means that all the theropods from this year will be reissued next year and the year thereafter with lips. And the people who prefer herbivores will have to wait now three years before they will get anything. This sudden change to theropods with lips however will mean that people who have not bought any of the new theropods of this year will now wait and see.

Ambre

I see a lot of people annoyed that this is another brown theropod. In my opinion i think that the this Yangchuanosaurus is more orange and interesting than the other releases from PNSO. It would be nice howerver if they made more weird theropods like Gigantoraptor since their best figures in my opinion are the Deinocheirus and Therizinosaurus. I just think that PNSO makes the best theropods out there but i can totally understand why people would want PNSO to move on from their theropods.
Also finally lips on their theropods !

CarnotaurusKing

Finally! I've been hoping someone would make a new Yangchuanosaurus, and I'm glad it's PNSO (again). This one really captures the slightly more elongated torso and shorter legs that adult Yangchuanosaurus seem to have had, instead of the more Allosaurus-like body of the previous attempt*. And it might also have lips. It's a bit small, (by my measurement) about 1/45-1/48 using a 1.1m-1.2m skull length for "Y. magnus", or 1/31 -1/32 using a 78cm-80cm skull length for the subadult holotype (skull lengths by SpinoInWonderland and Dan Folkes). Still a top tier model, by the looks of it.

*probably not

The near constant slew of large theropods can be a bit tiresome, but there were some taxa that were genuinely wanting for a "definitive" version which (I think) we got this year (PNSO's Mapusaurus, Meraxes, Albertosaurus, Megalosaurus, Tyrannosaurus and Yangchuanosaurus, Safari Ltd's Majungasaurus and Utahraptor, and Haolonggood's Carnotaurus). Overall, maybe the best year of late for large theropod models.

Concavenator

FINALLY, a Yangchuanosaurus!! Been waiting for one. I literally said this 4 days ago:

Quote from: Concavenator on August 30, 2023, 05:59:53 PMHaha I find the Yangchuanosaurus kind of tempting! But I think it's likely a good and up-to-date, non-caricaturized figure of it that I like will be released eventually, so for now I'm holding off. I have a lot of stuff to catch up on to immediately go after this, it's not what I collect, after all. :P

These are pretty nice though! Unlike the Yangchuanosaurus, I don't expect anyone else to tackle Gualingsaurus and Eorhynchocelys anytime soon, so that would be all the more reason to pick those up if you're into said genera.

Glad I held off on acquiring the older Yangchuanosaurus/Chungkingosaurus set too. Now, the only allosauroid left that I'm interested in that has yet to be made is Asfaltovenator! Which is a recent discovery, has good remains to work with, and it's interesting for potentially representing the basalmost allosauroid.

Looks like it closely resembles the holotype from SpinoInWonderland's skeletal:

Also, GREAT to see PNSO has FINALLY listened to the complaints about lips! Better late than never!

Carnoking

Lips! Now they just need to re-release every therapod they've ever made and all will be right

Tracewyrm!

Not terribly thrilled about yet another theropod but it's nice to see lips come into the picture. Hopefully this doesn't mean another Tyrannosaurus next year, though. Even if it does, I don't think I'd pull the trigger for Cameron 2.0. It isn't a substancial enough difference for me.

Now that the PNSO lip situation is sorted, can they do something other than carnivorous theropods? I know this is already what everyone is jumping on, in spite of the seeming miracle of PNSO lips, but really they need some more variety. That being said I could definitely see myself picking this up. Hoping that the lips don't mess with the jaw articulation like they do in some figures.
* (It's locked.)

Kuraro

Quote from: Renecito on September 03, 2023, 01:05:23 PMDayong the Yangchuanosaurus shangyouensis

Are there any photos? Cannot find them(

Leyster

C @CarnotaurusKing it does not. It's still based on the subadult, the legs look shorter due to the pose. Straighten them and it's the subadult.

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

CarnotaurusKing

L @Leyster yeah it does look more like the subadult, and scales a bit better at the 1/30-1/35 range if it is a subadult. Shame.

Lynx

I'm tired of theropods, but this is one of the few recent figures that has me excited. It looks really nice, same for the coloration (though overdone) and patterns. Plus the addition of lips! I'll definitely get this figure, that is if another company doesn't release a cheaper version of the same genus.

The artwork also looks great, which is a further push.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

I saw someone mention this possibility on Instagram, but do you all think PNSO released this as a "lipped therapod" due to its predecessor. Then the next few (hopefully few lol) therapods will be lipless...

bmathison1972

Not sure about this one. Nice sculpt, an interesting species in an interesting group. But I think I'm just becoming numb to all these large brown theropods.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: