News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

If it only had the plating/armor on the frill the Triceratops would actually be a nice one.

Well, seems like the extreme damage is still the best Allosaurus...they definitely changed the head sculpt compared to the leaked prototype, cause I don't think having less blue paint can change the look that much...plus it the snout looks longer in the leaked prototype.

Eatmycar

The Trike and the Allosaurus are meh at best but the little guys, damn. This is a great line with few L's this year and I'm really looking forward toward it. That Craterosaurus is a real surprise to me in the best way - almost all Jurassic stegosaurs look like dumpy losers. This thing has a gorgeous sculpt and posture. Beautiful.

andrewsaurus rex

has there been any announcement of Mattel making a Mapusaurus?  The Jurassic World one is nice, much better than the Giganotosaurus with the goofy spines on its back

Faelrin

A @andrewsaurus rex Not yet. Giganotosaurus was the last big carcharodontosaur they did. They haven't even done Acrocanthosaurus yet either. Here's a list of all the ones they have done (still behind on adding the hybrid toys, but the rest should be present):

https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

andrewsaurus rex

too bad.  I just can't bring myself to get that Giganotosaurus..  I'll never understand why the made it look like Concavenator.   I know that's the way it is in canon, so I guess my frustration is with the JW people, not Mattel.

andrewsaurus rex

on another note, I guess there haven't been any new big sauropods announced for 2024 yet?  With the disappointing Mamenchisaurus, i'm hoping for something better next year.  Perhaps an Alamosaurus or Agrentinosaurus.   :grin

MLMjp

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on September 10, 2023, 05:21:18 PMon another note, I guess there haven't been any new big sauropods announced for 2024 yet?  With the disappointing Mamenchisaurus, i'm hoping for something better next year.  Perhaps an Alamosaurus or Agrentinosaurus.   :grin
Highly unlikely that we get non-movie large sauropods, and they already made all the species than appear on screen.

Your best bet is a JP3 Brachiosaurus variant or Hammond Collection versions of already released ones.

But if they decide to surprise us, Diplodocus please...

andrewsaurus rex

oh I see......that's too bad.  I like (for the most part) these big sauropods.   This makes the disappointing Mamenchi even more of a disappointment.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on September 10, 2023, 05:54:48 PM
Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on September 10, 2023, 05:21:18 PMon another note, I guess there haven't been any new big sauropods announced for 2024 yet?  With the disappointing Mamenchisaurus, i'm hoping for something better next year.  Perhaps an Alamosaurus or Agrentinosaurus.   :grin
Highly unlikely that we get non-movie large sauropods, and they already made all the species than appear on screen.

Your best bet is a JP3 Brachiosaurus variant or Hammond Collection versions of already released ones.

But if they decide to surprise us, Diplodocus please...

They did make a Dippy mini awhile back..

Prehistory Resurrection

New Hammond Collection Owen Grady and Blue revealed. This Blue sculpt is an all new one. 

Faelrin

So big obvious one here is the fixed smaller feet. Looks to have the updated neck joint of the JPIII raptors too. I think. At least they are implenting these changes probably after all the fan complaint or the outright competiton for parts and/or new figures entirely. Let's not forget the improved glass eyes on the T. rex re-issue or the new Brachiosaurus, or the jaw articulation on the big Triceratops (and it being big too).

It would be nice to see reissues in the future with:
-JP Gallimimus (more film accurate paint deco, smaller feet)
-JP raptor (smaller feet and updated neck part)
-JPIII raptors (smaller feet, more film accurate paint deco on female)
-JP Triceratops (jaw articulation)
-JP Tyrannosaurus (smaller feet)
-TLW Parasaurolophus (thinner head, correct 3 toed feet like the Corythosaurus)
Maybe the medium theropods that lack wrist articulation aside from the Concavenator? Though I feel the others are the bigger offenders.

At least if/when they do the Lost World male it should have these new smaller feet. Hopefully they give it an accurate JP style headsculpt too, and not yet another repaint of Blue's shrunk down AC head part.

MLMjp

Quote from: Faelrin on September 20, 2023, 01:00:30 PMSo big obvious one here is the fixed smaller feet. Looks to have the updated neck joint of the JPIII raptors too. I think. At least they are implenting these changes probably after all the fan complaint or the outright competiton for parts and/or new figures entirely. Let's not forget the improved glass eyes on the T. rex re-issue or the new Brachiosaurus, or the jaw articulation on the big Triceratops (and it being big too).

It would be nice to see reissues in the future with:
-JP Gallimimus (more film accurate paint deco, smaller feet)
-JP raptor (smaller feet and updated neck part)
-JPIII raptors (smaller feet, more film accurate paint deco on female)
-JP Triceratops (jaw articulation)
-JP Tyrannosaurus (smaller feet)
-TLW Parasaurolophus (thinner head, correct 3 toed feet like the Corythosaurus)
Maybe the medium theropods that lack wrist articulation aside from the Concavenator? Though I feel the others are the bigger offenders.

At least if/when they do the Lost World male it should have these new smaller feet. Hopefully they give it an accurate JP style headsculpt too, and not yet another repaint of Blue's shrunk down AC head part.

I wouldn't count on them "fixing" all of those in the future if they make reissues of them. We can't be sure that they will give the JP3 raptor smaller feet, what if that image was just for illustration purposes?

Some minor changes in paint or fixing the glass eyes like they already did sure. But any "new parts" will probably only be used on future figures.

Carnoking

"BiG fEet ARe a nECesSaRY eVil"

Gwangi

It was inevitable. In fact, I'm surprised we didn't get these two sooner. I don't have a single Owen or Blue in my collection so I'll be getting these. I really only collect humans from the original Jurassic Park but the opportunity to photograph Owen holding his hand up at my collection of 20+ living reptiles and amphibians, or my chickens, cats, or whatever other animal I stumble across, is too much fun to pass up on. I doubt I will get the rest of the raptor squad though. The only other Jurassic World HC figures that I want would be Claire and the Indominus.

JPuggy

I'm really hoping for a HC Indoraptor. For now the super poseable one will suffice however.

MLMjp

I'm partially tempted to get Owen, just because is first Jurassic World Owen. Would be my third Owen figure. >:D

Even though I appreciate the improvements in the raptor sculpt, my battle damage Blue does not need a replacement.

PD: the video literally confirms that the smaller feet in the JP3 raptor was juts a test shot, so those aint' getting new feet anytime soon...

Eatmycar

I wonder if Owen will really 'shelfwarm' as much as figures like John Hammond, Dennis Nedry, or Ray Arnold. As far as too many Owen figures, I implore you to go count the Alan Grant figure population or the Ian Malcolm releases. Regardless, I'm just happy to see that the Hammond Collection can look beyond '93.

The raptor sculpt improvements show they are listening, but I'm sure it'll never be enough for some people. I'm looking forward to seeing the first person to haul out Photoshop and find different microvesicles or something wrong with this figure compared to a screenshot from the film. That said, I wish the reissued T. rex had new feet. Don't get me wrong, the better eyes are an improvement, but considering the new raptors ARE getting new... everything... I  wouldn't have minded new feet and teeth.

And no, I'm not going to pay for 3D-printed resin and then risk breaking my rex for this endeavor.

Faelrin

avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp I didn't watch the video at the time of posting that. Just was reacting to some screencaps from it. In fact I went back to sleep after. Interesting they showed the JPIII raptor with smaller feet in it. I really would like to see them redo their older ones, or at the very least the JP one (with a correct headsculpt as well). At least the raptors going forward are going to be much better now (in the rest of the anatomy). I also didn't realize this earlier but the new version of Blue has a longer tail too. It's like they saw Marco Makes video and went from there.

Bunch of images are out too (I'll add them once I'm on PC), and I really don't like the new change in package design. It looks awful, especially with Owen's (which I'm definitely skipping. I don't care if it is a different outfit from a different film. Don't care for the character or the actor). At least most of the JP cast escaped this change. I mean assuming they do Dr. Wu, etc in this format.

E @Eatmycar I know at least between Marco Makes, if not myself as well that criticizes them when things are inaccurate, have been pretty pleased with this retool. I only saw one person speculate the tail looks too long with the promo pics on instagram, but if they saw the video of the actual figure, they would see it is fine. Honestly it is really good for them to go this far with listening to feedback, including criticism. This shows that they can do better and hopefully the HC figures released from here are better on out. I agree we need the T. rex with the smaller feet. I also wouldn't want to pay for expensive resin parts and go through the same trouble.

Edit: Here are the pics from the Target pages. By the way Blue has an expected release date of 04/28/24, and Owen has an expected release of 01/7/24.

Blue:

Spoiler

[close]

Owen:

Spoiler

[close]

Gwangi

The improved raptor sculpt for Blue gives me high hopes for any future Lost World raptor.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: