News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paleoclapas

Quote from: Flaffy on September 13, 2023, 02:05:44 PMThank you for the detailed analysis! I really hope "Eva" gets properly described soon! That unfortunately also means that the HLG figure will likely be inaccurate in a short period of time. Such is the reality of producing genera that aren't well studied (at the time of production).

Regarding the osteoderm arrangement, I agree it is not very convincing on the figure. Seems like other paleoartists like Knuppe also favour the parasagittal arrangement, which is based on fossil evidence unlike previous Ampelosaurus armour reconstructions.

Yes, it is surprising that HLG did not rely on Daniel Vidal's study on osteoderms from the Spanish site of Lo Hueco in which the arrangement in two parasagittal rows is proposed. Recent studies on titanosaur osteoderms have focused primarily on their shape diversity, their arrangement, and their internal structure. The most mysterious and least studied osteoderms are certainly those with concave bulbs. Based on their structure it is likely that the latter supported a fully keratinized spine without bony core (perhaps the flat bulbs also supported a spine). However, this is currently only a theory present on the internet and which has not been formally proposed or tested by a scientific study. Perhaps a study similar to that carried out on the bony surfaces supporting the keratinized facial pads of Pachyrhinosaurus could provide an answer. But I don't know if any researchers are working on this.

Osteoderms referred to Ampelosaurus:
The well-known spiny morphotype, and the other two less often represented, the flat and concave bulb morphotypes.

Basilosaurus

Does anyone know anything about the Maip Macrothorax that was hinted at a while ago?

Fembrogon

No further news on the megaraptoran yet; typically Haolonggood's only been revealing ready-to-go products anyway.
I'm sure vampiredesign will be prompt in announcing the megaraptoran when it's ready.

Sim

There was never a Maip.  The Haolonggood megaraptoran is Megaraptor.

bmathison1972

There have been some comments on the recent Edmontonia but it's been hard to keep up. Do we have a confident species? I have it databased as E. rugosidens, but maybe there's a better option? Thanks!

Sim

Dinosdragons identified it as Edmontonia longiceps in their review of the figure.  I agree it's that species based on the lack of cheek plates, and armour configuration.

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on September 14, 2023, 12:28:02 PMDinosdragons identified it as Edmontonia longiceps in their review of the figure.  I agree it's that species based on the lack of cheek plates, and armour configuration.

I remain unconvinced that hard structures like that would be absent in a closely related species within the same genus. E. rugosidens cheek plates were found to be "free floating", so it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that they were lost during/prior to fossilisation on the E. longiceps specimen.

Moreover, GSP proposed that E. rugosidens is the direct ancestor of E. longiceps. So it would make much more sense to reconstruct E. longiceps with a cheek plate. Something about absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence afterall.

Sim

I think it's easy to have/not have a cheek plate even if a close relative doesn't have it/has it.  I think it's good to not let our opinions become more than that.

Fembrogon

I've been trying to determine the Edmontonia's designation myself (for an eventual DTB review), and I'm leaning towards E. longiceps as well, if only due to the skull shape. Most fossils we have of the genus seem to be classified as E. rugosidens, however, so Haolonggood's figurine probably relies heavily on that species anyway.

bmathison1972

thanks all; I suspected it was E. longiceps. Not sure why I called it E. rugosidens initially. Armor configuration is more important than this 'cheek plate' analysis

Concavenator

Surprised no one mentioned it, but the Daspletosaurus is already available on AliExpress.

Bread

$25 for a lipped and beautifully colored Daspletosaurus? Sorry PNSO...

Samrukia

i am becoming Haolonggood'2023 completeist :))

bmathison1972

Quote from: Samrukia on September 15, 2023, 12:32:30 AMi am becoming Haolonggood'2023 completeist :))

I am close! Everything so far except the theropods, Apatosaurus, and megalodon

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Fembrogon

replace the .ru with .com or .us and it should correct just fine.

At those prices, I will definitely try picking up the Das in the future if I can - probably partnered with the Ampelosaurus.

Samrukia

Haolonggood statues
Daspletosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus
from Paleofiguras

ceratopsian

Black Mamba apparently painted the Daspletosaurus prototype.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: