You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaurs Attack! action figure by Super7 ReAction

Started by Halichoeres, September 08, 2023, 05:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

I don't know if they're planning to do a whole line or if this is a one-off, but BBTS (and others) have Supreme Evil up for order, based on the Dinosaurs Attack! line of trading cards from the 1980s.

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

I've been seeing Mars Attacks! figures around but never thought they would do Dinosaurs Attack! also. I have that entire card set and my father gave it to me when I way way too young for it. This figure is neat but I dunno that I need it. Some of the actual dinosaurs would be nice. Thanks for sharing!

Crackington

This looks promising- just alerting avatar_Fossilized-Rubber @Fossilized-Rubber as we were just discussing the cards on my collection thread.

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: Crackington on September 08, 2023, 07:28:49 PMThis looks promising- just alerting avatar_Fossilized-Rubber @Fossilized-Rubber as we were just discussing the cards on my collection thread.
Wow, thanks for pinging me, I'm genuinely flattered. I really like that they included Dr Elias Thorne. Apparently they made a comic too? Let me go and grab my Supreme Evil card to show it off and give this post some context.

I put together the frames where Supreme Evil is grabbing Dr Elias Thorne through the portal. He yells to Helen (no title or last name given in the cards, but I propose here that her name is Dr Helen Rose) to shut off the portal. In doing so she dooms Dr Elias Thorne and sucks all the dinosaurs back through the time portal. She escapes the space station Promethius right as it explodes.

I hope you enjoy the pic, it took about an hour to scan and compose everything inbetween distractions haha

Now showing: The Lost World (1925)

My collection is here

CityRaptor

Interesting. Due to the fact that his likeness was used for Dr. Thorne, it technically also counts as a Geri Gerani toy.

Although I'm not really a fan of the ReAction style. It's so stiff looking and most things done in it generally look like junk. And they are really overpriced for what they are.

The "Supreme Evil" being marketed as an "Adult Collectible - Not a Toy" leads to a joke about Evil not being a Toy.

avatar_Fossilized-Rubber @Fossilized-Rubber : Yes, there was comic in 1991, but it ended with issue one. The complete series was later released by IDW in 2013 for the 25th anniversary of the cards.

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Cool!

I think the Reaction figures are really meant to be left on card as that's where they look best.  I hope this part of a line, I'm not sure how they would do the less humanoid dinosaurs but I'd like to see them, maybe buy em.

CityRaptor

Probably similar to their ReAction Style Godzilla figures.
https://super7.com/collections/godzilla?pf_mlt_products_and_condition=true&products1=ReAction+Figures

Those things being designed to be left on card somehow makes a lot of sense given that the card looks better than the figure itself.
Oh no

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 09, 2023, 12:58:39 AMthere was comic in 1991, but it ended with issue one. The complete series was later released by IDW in 2013 for the 25th anniversary of the cards.

I may have just ordered all five issues last night after writing my post. Apparently the writer, illustrator and colourist returned for the 2013 run and continues from and includes issue #1. No spoilers!

There's a compendium book that includes all the comics but the second-hand asking price is way too expensive.

avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Agreed RE: leaving them on the card. The artwork is amazing, the model quality less so. Reminds me of the tail-kickin' art for Mighty Max.

My collection is here

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 09, 2023, 10:31:48 AMProbably similar to their ReAction Style Godzilla figures.
https://super7.com/collections/godzilla?pf_mlt_products_and_condition=true&products1=ReAction+Figures

Those things being designed to be left on card somehow makes a lot of sense given that the card looks better than the figure itself.

I think it's a 50/50 split. Card art/figure. 

Halichoeres

I have to admit I would find a figure of a guy being engulfed by trilobites kind of appealing, if they made one https://www.bobheffner.com/dinosaursattack/front38.htm
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fossilized-Rubber

The trilobites are just curious why they're out of the water and why the ground is screaming.

As this is now the adopted Dinosaurs Attack! thread, I'd like to share that I got the five issues of the comic last week and they're very enjoyable. Each book is a little thin on content, with the last six or so pages made up of advertising, but the art was glorious and flowed nicely between painting and line art.

Here's a cool excerpt with one of those skeletonised dinosaurs that was all the rage at the time:

My collection is here

CityRaptor

It's just skin and bones, no wonder it's all hungry.

The DA comics are best enjoyed in collected form. Of course that probably can be said for most mini series.
Oh no

Eatmycar

Nothing kills my excitement faster than seeing it's a Super7 figure.

Such a shame, too, because Dinosaurs Attack lends itself to a whole range of bizarre possibilities.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Eatmycar on September 27, 2023, 11:41:37 PMNothing kills my excitement faster than seeing it's a Super7 figure.

Such a shame, too, because Dinosaurs Attack lends itself to a whole range of bizarre possibilities.

Why? Price? Wait time? Something else?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Eatmycar

5 PoA on action figures is a complete joke if you ask me - I know this is more of a statue and figurine-lined community, but when you compare Super 7 to other 3.75 lines like Mattel's Hammond Collection line (hell, main line even), Vitruvian HACKS, Dime Novel Legends, or even Fortnite... its horrible. Especially for things like toy photography or posing.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Super7 may just be the start if we are lucky. Saw a small rise in popularity of Mars Attacks this year. 

As I said I'm almost certain these figures are designed to be left on the card.

Fossilized-Rubber

I read that Tim Burton has the rights to a Dinosaurs Attack! movie which got put on the backburner after Jurassic Park swept the film scene. Could you imagine a whole camp film about rampaging dynamation dinosaurs with a tacked-on romance plot about mid-western weirdos avoiding world monuments being attacked by non-feathered, brightly coloured dinosaurs? I can, I'm here for it.

My collection is here

Takama

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on October 01, 2023, 12:11:33 PMI read that Tim Burton has the rights to a Dinosaurs Attack! movie which got put on the backburner after Jurassic Park swept the film scene. Could you imagine a whole camp film about rampaging dynamation dinosaurs with a tacked-on romance plot about mid-western weirdos avoiding world monuments being attacked by non-feathered, brightly coloured dinosaurs? I can, I'm here for it.

I would of been more interested on how the SUPREME EVIL would of translated to film.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.