You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Hatchling- New Original Dinosaur Short Film coming October 17th

Started by Prehistory Resurrection, October 13, 2023, 03:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prehistory Resurrection

Official Trailer:
An all new original dinosaur short film, probably like Battle At Big Rock, is releasing on October 17th. It features a mother and baby Deinocheirus. Very nice to see this oddity of a dinosaur featuring in more dinosaur-related media. This short film is confirmed to not be part of the Jurassic Franchise.

Carnoking

Looks like it could be fun. Visuals are pretty impressive for this sort of thing.

Faelrin

Love that they went with Deinocheirus. The baby is so sweet omg. Glad it's getting more time in the spotlight lately, between Prehistoric Planet, JWE2, and now here as well. Can't wait to watch this.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Prehistory Resurrection

So, today is the release date and here's the film. What do you think? I think the CGI was well blended with the environment; I think it's on par with the visuals of the Jurassic World movies.
So the species seen are Compsognathus, Deinocheirus and Suchomimus. There are also a Pachyrhinosaurus and Pteranodon on the DFW badge of the fake agents. The Suchomimus almost made it in Dominion but was scrapped later on, so it's very nice to see it here. The dinosaurs are out in the open like in Jurassic World Dominion. We got Battle At Big Rock and the promotional materials featuring dinosaurs out in the open for Dominion already but I think this was fit for the Jurassic Universe. But basically, it's a similar universe, so it's fine. Still, the backstory isn't explained for this one. Some scenes were reminiscent of The Lost World: Jurassic Park; I'm refering to the scene where the team reunites the baby (so cute) with its parents (didn't know there was a couple) and the scene where the Suchomimus eats the poor dog in the car. The fake DFW agents suggest there's a black market, like in Dominion. The Dino Tours is something new not seen in Dominion. Nothing unique but was yet another fun dino movie. What do you think?

Primeval12

I loved it and want more. Deinocheirus is quickly becoming a favorite dinosaur so I am so glad to see it in more paleo media.

Gwangi

Seeing a well rendered Deinocheirus was nice but I don't really understand the point of the short. It's nothing new or noteworthy. Not even sure what the target audience was. I thought it would be for kids but the language and ending don't seem kid friendly. And yeah, it's definitely riding on Jurassic World's coattails. I can see why some people are confused about whether it's part of that universe or not.

Eatmycar

Too many Jurassic references, too many animals, bad writing.

This was clearly written by Jurassic fans, it panders aggressively toward them, and it is clearly in the Jurassic universe. Hell, even the font for the poster is the JP font.

As someone who primarily collects Mattel Jurassic stuff (alongside BoTM), I'm tired, boss.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Gwangi on October 17, 2023, 09:01:15 PMSeeing a well rendered Deinocheirus was nice but I don't really understand the point of the short. It's nothing new or noteworthy. Not even sure what the target audience was. I thought it would be for kids but the language and ending don't seem kid friendly. And yeah, it's definitely riding on Jurassic World's coattails. I can see why some people are confused about whether it's part of that universe or not.
From what I understand, it was made by the same people who made that dinosaurs in our world jw fan film, and this film was another idea they had that they decided to make cause it sounded fun.

Lynx

This was fine IMO, it was well done, I didn't even think of JP/JW while watching it. I think the plot should've been built on first, but it was nice.

Quote from: Gwangi on October 17, 2023, 09:01:15 PMSeeing a well rendered Deinocheirus was nice but I don't really understand the point of the short. It's nothing new or noteworthy. Not even sure what the target audience was. I thought it would be for kids but the language and ending don't seem kid friendly. And yeah, it's definitely riding on Jurassic World's coattails. I can see why some people are confused about whether it's part of that universe or not.

I don't think most animated short films have "a point". It's left for you to think about.
An oversized house cat.

Gwangi

Quote from: Lynx on October 17, 2023, 10:21:58 PMThis was fine IMO, it was well done, I didn't even think of JP/JW while watching it. I think the plot should've been built on first, but it was nice.

I don't think most animated short films have "a point". It's left for you to think about.
Quote from: Lynx on October 17, 2023, 10:21:58 PMThis was fine IMO, it was well done, I didn't even think of JP/JW while watching it. I think the plot should've been built on first, but it was nice.

I've seen plenty of short films that manage to have character development and thought provoking stories despite their short runtime. Heck, even the Academy Awards have a best short film category. Watch the Dinosauria series or Prehistoric Beast for dinosaur shorts done right. Even Battle at Big Rock was better.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I feel like a lot of people are treating this as if it was trying to be something it isn't, from what I've heard from Duck (Bellomio), the film was simply something made for fun, because the creators wanted to. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether or not you enjoy it is entirely up to you, but putting this in the same category as things like dinosauria just isn't correct.

Gwangi

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on October 18, 2023, 12:14:24 AMI feel like a lot of people are treating this as if it was trying to be something it isn't, from what I've heard from Duck (Bellomio), the film was simply something made for fun, because the creators wanted to. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether or not you enjoy it is entirely up to you, but putting this in the same category as things like dinosauria just isn't correct.

I don't know why it cannot be compared to Dinosauria, which was also independently made by a Youtuber.

Anyway, I did not realize going into The Hatchling that it was a low budget independent project. It had a trailer and poster art and a lot of hype in out community and probably raised my expectations to unrealistic levels. And initially I did think it was part of the JW universe. While I found the story and characters dull and uninspired I will commend other aspects, like the editing, dinosaur designs, and visual effects.

Carnoking

Just watched it. To me, it came across an experimental fan film that expands on the ideas of Dominion. For example, I loved the idea of "Dinosaur Tours", that's a market that Dominion never hinted at.

The acting was a bit over the top and the writing half-baked, but it feels like this was done more as a proof of concept work and/or showreel for the VFX artists and in that regard it does what it needs to.

Faelrin

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking That was kind of my impression with it as well, but I do agree with avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi that it did feel kind of overhyped for what it was (but that may also be the Jurassic fandom taking this a bit too far, after it was shared by Jurassic Outpost, as its own Chris Pugh helped produce it, never-mind the similarities in world building to BaBR and Dominion, like with the inclusion of the DFW, etc).

That said it was nice to see Deinocheirus and Suchomimus get some screen time. While the former has gotten some a few times now, I think this is the first time for the latter, despite how minimal it was. The baby Deinocheirus was also adorable, and not really something we've seen at all before (that I can think of, and including in paleoart). The sound design was pretty nice too. Not sure what they used for the Suchomimus roar but it was ghastly. The adult Deinocheirus sounded like elk, and while I'm not 100% certain, I think one of the sounds used by the baby came from Hideaki Utsumi's famous Gumi bird (chattering lory known for the wuewuewue meme). In any case it did sound familiar to me.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Lynx

Quote from: Gwangi on October 18, 2023, 01:15:11 AM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on October 18, 2023, 12:14:24 AMI feel like a lot of people are treating this as if it was trying to be something it isn't, from what I've heard from Duck (Bellomio), the film was simply something made for fun, because the creators wanted to. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether or not you enjoy it is entirely up to you, but putting this in the same category as things like dinosauria just isn't correct.

I don't know why it cannot be compared to Dinosauria, which was also independently made by a Youtuber.

Anyway, I did not realize going into The Hatchling that it was a low budget independent project. It had a trailer and poster art and a lot of hype in out community and probably raised my expectations to unrealistic levels. And initially I did think it was part of the JW universe. While I found the story and characters dull and uninspired I will commend other aspects, like the editing, dinosaur designs, and visual effects.

IMO it's due to the fact that even though they are both made by YouTubers, yes, and are about dinosaurs, they are still two very different forms of media. One as a thought-out animation series, and the other as an experimental film made for fun.
An oversized house cat.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fembrogon

I had completely missed the marketing for this short, so I went into it blind and came out quite pleased. The short is obviously a riff on Jurassic World: Dominion, but at a smaller scale and drastically more focused narrative, akin to BaBR. I was delighted to see Deinocheirus chosen as the star dinosaur; Deinocheirus deserves to become an A-list genus.
All in all, it was a fun little short, and one more piece of evidence to me that just about ANYONE with some skill and a team can produce better dinosaur content than Jurassic World:P

Blade-of-the-Moon

Not bad.  Little rough but the characters and dinos looked good.

shahinos

I liked it, it was funny and I liked the way the dinos looked. I'm getting tired of JP/JW style and sounds of dinosaurs. The end opened up for potential sequels too.

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 20, 2023, 08:34:04 PMWell, still a better movie than JP3.

Hey-ho! Can't disagree with that!

Quote from: Fembrogon on October 21, 2023, 03:45:57 AMAll in all, it was a fun little short, and one more piece of evidence to me that just about ANYONE with some skill and a team can produce better dinosaur content than Jurassic World:P

It's evidence to me that just about ANYONE with some skill and a team can produce their own knockoff of E.T.  O:-)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: