News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Leyster on November 14, 2023, 02:32:30 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy PNSO didn't use a mature specimen. More soon.

Thanks for the correction! If the PNSO isn't an adult, AND is lipless... that means I have more excuses to pick up BotM's blue beauty!

David96

Quote from: Faelrin on November 13, 2023, 11:41:42 PMD @David96 I meant that despite many of my favorite prehistoric animals being from the Paleozoic (like a lot of folks here are probably familiar with, and would probably suspect as a result), it's definitely not from then. I actually haven't been too vocal about it here, despite it being one of my favorite prehistoric animals. Perhaps another hint is that a figure of it released this year, but it is not one within my collection. The DinoToyCollector website may help narrow it down. If anyone does guess it correctly, I'll be impressed, but I won't confirm it until the time comes.

Ah, offcourse. It must be that I misunderstood becasue I'm quite new here, my account was opened this year or during the last months of last year at best. So I'm not familiar with many stuff here. Although if i had to guess, I saw that avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator mentioned Parasaurolophus and Coelodonta so I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of those two (or maybe both). Given that David has already mentioned that Parasaurolophus "is on the radar" and that Coelodonta was confirmed in an interview (although it was mentioned that it might come for BotC first, it was not confirmed if it will come for CZ). Also talking about this I also forgot to mention that I absolutely wish that David & Crew made a Concavenator for Cyberzoic. Because of how different it is from other carnivores, variety is just the best  :))

Cenozoic Fauna

Quote from: David96 on November 15, 2023, 06:27:58 AMI also forgot to mention that I absolutely wish that David & Crew made a Concavenator for Cyberzoic. Because of how different it is from other carnivores, variety is just the best  :))

A Concavenator you say?! Now that would be absolutely awesome!
Really hope to see a figure of that species from creative beast studio team in the future, and indeed, more variety, more unique and fantastic species to be realized and made into figures and others a first to be made into an awesome highly detailed and accurate and articulated figure from the team.
 Also would be awesome to see megaraptorids as well to, would be super cool to see.

Also how about tiktaalik?

That would be phenomenal! And a giant genetically enhanced cyberzoic tiktaalik that has a mech suit 🐟

David96

Quote from: Cenozoic Fauna on November 15, 2023, 07:31:43 AM
Quote from: David96 on November 15, 2023, 06:27:58 AMI also forgot to mention that I absolutely wish that David & Crew made a Concavenator for Cyberzoic. Because of how different it is from other carnivores, variety is just the best  :))

A Concavenator you say?! Now that would be absolutely awesome!
Really hope to see a figure of that species from creative beast studio team in the future, and indeed, more variety, more unique and fantastic species to be realized and made into figures and others a first to be made into an awesome highly detailed and accurate and articulated figure from the team.
 Also would be awesome to see megaraptorids as well to, would be super cool to see.

Also how about tiktaalik?

That would be phenomenal! And a giant genetically enhanced cyberzoic tiktaalik that has a mech suit 🐟

Holy crap, you read my mind!!! A megaraptoran is exactly one of my top picks aswell for a BotM/CZ wishlist!!! Right now (mainly because David confirmed or planned most of my other favorites already such as Ankylosaurus, Spinosaurus, Stegosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Suchomimus, Parasaurolophus, Iguanodon and maybe even Diplodocus. Bless him for that :')) I'm having it as:

1. Torvosaurus
2. Megaraptor/Maip
3. Concavenator
4. Deinocheirus
5. Coelophisis

Precisely for the sake of variety aswell!!! Personally I'd much rather have those than more big carnivores or tyrannosaurs because they'll directly add more families to the collection (Torvosaurus for Megalosaurs, Megaraptor/Maip for Megaraptorans, etc) or because they are completely different to everything else (we may already have Carcharodontosaurs and Ornithomimids but nothing remotely similar to Deinocheirus or Concavenator). I definitely think that variety would make the most beautiful collection, the JW collection from Mattel is proof of that. I think that it's strongest suit was it's huge variety and that would work even better with a line of top quality accurate dinosaurs such as BotM  :))

Faelrin

I'm a bit late, but as D @David96 has confirmed it was mentioned in an interview already (which one btw?), I think it is safe for me to confirm it was in fact the Coelodonta/Woolly Rhino that was revealed to me at Legions Con. It was definitely in my top ten prehistoric Cenozoic animals wishlist I had for the line too.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Good job with guessing it was that one. Compared to the other two, I probably haven't posted about it as much. I have exactly two figures of it in my collection currently, the 2019 Safari Ltd, and the older Missing Links one also from them. I do have more then 2 Parasaurolophus (several Mattel, Battat Terra, PNSO, Carnegie Collection), and currently not a single Aenocyon (but Rebor's soon enough I hope). avatar_Cenozoic Fauna @Cenozoic Fauna had a good guess too, as I also have exactly 2 figures in my collection of Meiolania, the Kaiyodo, and Eikoh. I would adore having an action figure of that too, since it might be my favorite prehistoric/extinct Cenozoic reptile.

Oh and I forgot to mention this earlier, but I did make it known that I really want to see Deinocheirus, and Thylacoleo join the line someday, no matter how long I got to wait. I mean if I waited this long for both the Gorgosaurus and Arctic Dragon to get action figures (potentially Deinonychus and Utahraptor as well), then I can wait just as long for them I'm sure.

I'd gladly get a Concavenator as well, if one is made someday. In the meantime I guess my Mattel HC one will have to do.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Giganotosaurus

A Woolley Rhino was one of my most wanted also! I hope he eventually creates figures of other prehistoric rhino/rhino like creatures too!!
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

Faelrin

I'm re-watching the stream, here is everything worth noting.

Things revealed (including timestamps):
-(37:30) Spinosaurus for Cyberzoic III, Water Clan, and other spinosaurids by that point. At 39 min mark they also joke about how it keeps changing, lol.
-(38:10) Unconfirmed/not official (yet), but combining the sentient armors/robots into a bigger dinosaur, like for example a team of spinosaurid robots that transform into Spinosaurus.
-(44:40) Possibly an art book for all the amazing art for the series, which is only 1/3 into the planned storyline so far (which could be expanded further beyond as well), and could feature the lore as well.
-(50:10) More herbivores for Cyberzoic II including stegosaurs (Stegosaurus already sculpted), Pachycephalosaurus (already sculpted), Amargasaurus possibly (David said he's been wanting to do that one for a while), Therizinosaurus possibly.
-(51:10) Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus for Cyberzoic II as well, both already have sculpts (wip or finished).
-(51:48) Herbivorous dragons possibly. The work in progress package art for the Yutyrannus features one that lives in the north.
-(52:15) Possibly ceratopsians in Cyberzoic II or later, which could include Triceratops, Pentaceratops, Nasutoceratops, and Diabloceratops which featured in concept art so far.
-(53:20) Possibly armors for the 1:18 (smaller) raptors during Cyberzoic II or whenever, which Ross did artwork for. David said they could be like used as scouts with cameras on them. like little spy raptors. Ross suggested that maybe the armors could convert into a weapon for the human characters because of the smaller size. Chris liked this idea, lol, suggested a turkey launcher. David said it wouldn't be very nice, but they could make good mobile bombs, lol.
-(54:50) Sauropelta and Edmontonia are still in the works, which could lead into ankylosaurs like Ankylosaurus.
-(56:08) Armor from dinosaurs for the humans, which led to confirmation that Argenteus has a secondary mount later in the story, which the armor becomes a mech suit for him. David said it's the giant bird, but couldn't remember the name at the time, but said that it sounds like his (Argenteus) name. Clear giveaway for Argentavis. David also said that the armor is like Japanese styled, like Ronin Warriors.
-(58:14) David said he'd like to do Giganotosaurus, but he's not sure how to fit it in since it is similar to Acrocanthosaurus, maybe within Cyberzoic III?
-(59:10) Fucanglong, the Antarctic fire dragon, is confirmed for Cyberzoic II, and will be a big part of it. Some lore dropped as well (might have been posted earlier too), about it being another genetic hybrid the Tech Clan did like Dybukk was. It will also share some parts with the Arctic Dragon Kuraokami.
-(1:01:48 ) Amargasaurus mentioned again possibly coming for Cyberzoic II (no work done for it yet), and David said it would be a good starting point to figuring out the articulation for that type of animal, due to its smaller size, and maybe eventually doing bigger ones. David also said that will be where the 1:35 will come in handy, and mentioned his desire for doing sauropods at some point is part of why he started doing some 1:35 figures.
-(1:04:30) Some lore about the Water Clan which will feature prominently in Cyberzoic III, about how they are a mystery to most clans, supposedly derived from the best scientists on Earth or the like. The Ronin is from the Water Clan (but is currently living in the badlands/desert) and will feature in Cyberzoic II, and is a rouge wanderer/bounty hunter type. David said when Dragolina meets up with him it kind of starts the main storyline.
-(1:06:30) Therizinosaurus possibly confirmed for Cyberzoic II once again. David confirmed Ross has done some concept art for it, and that it is also part of the Dragon Clan. He wants to do it because he has a genuine interest in it, because of how cool and unique it is. He also mentioned that sculptor Aaron Doyle has also expressed interest in sculpting it.
-(1:12:20) Possibility of having Pteranodon or other pterosaurs in the line, maybe by Cyberzoic III, if not just the BotM line prior. He doesn't want to rush into doing things just because they are popular. He wants them to flow together organically. In any case no plans atm for them because of how different they are from everything else.

There's other good info in there about the lore, design process, and other things, so if folks have an hour (stream starts after the first 10 mins in the video) to sit through it, please give it a listen if you haven't yet. There were a lot of interesting species suggestions in the comments too, but aside from the handful confirmed, or David and the team mentioned is open to doing at some point, anything goes at this point. At least they do seem pretty open to suggestions, but as mentioned in the stream, it's just that these are expensive to make, and it takes so long (and see the last point above about keeping things flowing together). In any case I'm going to be focusing my attention these next two years on the prototypes on their way to production, if not those already in the works for Cyberzoic II and/or BotM/C (Acrocanthosaurus, Andrewsarchus, Coelodonta/Woolly Rhino, Pachycephalosaurus, Stegosaurus, etc), that didn't quite make the cut for this initial series.

Cenozoic Fauna

D @David96 Indeed! Also maip would be perfect! Also incredibly awesome list of possible future figures for the line! Would be absolutely phenomenal to see, really great ideas there👍
 Also the confirmation of the Ankylosaurus, Spinosaurus, Stegosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Suchomimus, Parasaurolophus, Iguanodon, even theri ! and maybe even perhaps the Diplodocus is super epic! Also same, and also True 100%! Those would be fantastic species, taxon to see in the future as well, and having a torvosaurus figure would mean having the top apex carnivores of the Morrison formation such as allosaurus and ceratosaurus and also a Marshosaurus would also be quite a cool species to see as well that was around in the Jurassic to.
Also indeed true! Deinocheirus and  Coelophisis would be super cool to see as well, great and very unique species, and indeed a lot of variety of awesome top quality accurate species will look super cool to see on display. Looking forward to what the creative beast studio team future figures!🦕 also shunosaurus would be another cool species as well.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Oh Wow! A Wooly rhino?! that's awesome to hear! Cool to hear confirmation The Wooly rhino is confirmed 100% for the Cenozoic line! That's super cool, and will be cool to see how it will look like and the paint scheme as well. Really thought it was a meiolania, though this is super awesome to know it's the iconic wooly rhino, maybe the meiolania will be eventually made into a figure for the line in the future at some point, also indeed, same here, it's a very cool and quite unique armored turtle has super fascinating defensive features like an ankylosaurus and glyptodon. Also regarding other confirmed Cenozoic species for the line, it was confirmed on creative beast studios Facebook on the comments on the smilodon armor post that entelodonts and  hyaenodon Will eventually be made for the Cenozoic line, and In an interview with Oakhurststuios David definitively confirmed that terrestrial crocodiles will be in the Cenozoic line 100% confirmed which is really cool. Also same, hoping to see the Deinocheirus, and Thylacoleo as well, Super unique and cool prehistoric species which will be awesome to see from the team.

avatar_Giganotosaurus @Giganotosaurus Indeed! Also true that, hope to see species like the arsinoitherium, Eobasileus to and perhaps megacerops. It would be an interesting one to see as well.

Edit,
avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Also that's Awesome! Thanks for the detailed info on all the confirmed species, really appreciate it 👍  A lot of cool species planned wow!
Also in two other interviews from Oakhurststuios and Spector creative  mentioned besides confirming the land crocodiles for the line, also confirmed plans for modern animal figures at some point, Mentioned modern elephants, giraffes, and wolfs briefly. And named dropped Wanting to make at some point dimetrodon, and sea scorpions. And also talked about modern and extinct marine species like whales and sharks which is cool. And some lore to as well.

Faelrin

avatar_Cenozoic Fauna @Cenozoic Fauna Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll have to check those out at some point. Dimetrodon is more then likely to come at some point due, but I would have never guessed eurypterids being a possibility though! The little Takara Tomy ones don't have much in the way of articulation, but could tide me over until then, well if it happens. As mentioned above, I am nothing short of patient.

Flaffy

Nice to see the Cenozoic offerings expand with the Wooly Rhino. Not too interested in that one personally since I feel that both Safari and Mojo have come out with excellent versions already. Would've loved to see a more unique rhino like Elasmotherium instead, but I get that Coelodonta has the more dramatic horns along with being one of the big stars of the Pleistocene.

Looking forward to seeing more 1:35 offerings too. Many of the larger species are cost and space prohibitive, especially if David ever ventures into doing large sauropods. Amargasaurus is certainly an interesting choice for a first sauropod figure, as I don't imagine engineering an articulated neck being easy with it's large sails.

Amargasaurus by Fred

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy It also has the benefit of having numerous mummified specimens (young to adult) and cave art that helps with working out the coloration, and the fur as well. Elasmotherium currently lacks that, but it would be nice to see it in the line someday as well. Prime target for giving it armor based on the old popular giant horn reconstruction as well (though it may make it too similar to the Dryptosaurus gimmick, but still).

Maybe a ball jointed head, and neck? Similar to like the Mattel figure (minus the action features)? It will certainly be interesting to see that how that one is pulled off in the future. I think a real feel rubbery sort of sail would be a nice touch too, but I don't know how plausible something like that would be.

Cenozoic Fauna

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Indeed! Pretty cool to know these figures are planned, also was quite surprised as well to hear sea scorpions were planned, mentioned which is really cool.

Also in the oakhurststudios interview I also forgot to mention  this but in the interview at 5:08 in the Video David mentions that the Cenozoic line may not have a Kickstarter, and it only being for the larger lines like the cyberzoic.

Also at 58:43 in the video is when David 100% confirms terrestrial crocodile for the Cenozoic  line.

For the Spector studios interview at 20:00 in the video goes over some lore and mentions plans for a modern animal figure line at some point

And at 35:00 mentions modern animals again briefly and Mentions elephants, giraffes, wolfs.

And than and at 35:27 mentions dimetrodon, and sea scorpions. And at 38:00 in the video mentions whales and sharks as well.

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy indeed true, also that is another interesting and intriguing thing about the articulation for Amargasaurus, based on its features as you mentioned. It will be cool to see how it's done, and what other sauropods could be brought into the future line.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Giganotosaurus on November 16, 2023, 06:31:28 PMA Woolley Rhino was one of my most wanted also! I hope he eventually creates figures of other prehistoric rhino/rhino like creatures too!!

I would love to see a brontothere.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Faelrin

So I just learned Allosaurus might have belly scales like on Concavenator maybe? Anyone know if the current sculpt addresses this? Here is the comment I left on the kickstarter with the relevant information pertaining to this:

QuoteSo I just learned Allosaurus had some form of scutate ventral scales (like on Concavenator perhaps?) from this 2022 paper from Bell, et al (specifically regarding specimen KNHM 11; the paper also has stuff on most theropods with preserved integument):

https://docentes.fct.unl.pt/sites/default/files/omateus/files/hendrickxetal.2021.morphologyanddistributionofscales.pdf

Here is the supplementary material which goes a bit more into detail about this (see Appendix S3.4):

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/brv.12829

Assuming Jake hasn't already taken this into account for the sculpt (I'm having a hard time telling, because aside from the limited description in the supplementary material and the paper, there is no visible reference, which would be much more helpful to me as I am primarily a visual learner), is it possible it could be corrected before production if it's not actually currently implemented?

Here's specifically quoted sections from both the paper, and supplementary material (Appendix S3.4) if it would be immediately helpful:

"A third specimen of Allosaurus jimmadseni (KNHM 11) additionally shows that part of the mandible was covered with minute pebbly scales whereas the ventral portion of the neck appears to show broad scutate ventral scales (Appendix S3.4)."

"A large adult Allosaurus jimmadseni from the lower Morrison of Wyoming ('King Charles'; KNHM 11) preserves skin at the level of the mandible and the neck (M. Loewen, personal observations 2021). The skin of this specimen will be illustrated and described in detail in a forthcoming contribution and only a brief description is provided here. The first patch (2.5 cm × 5 cm) is present on the left dentary and consists of minute round pebbly scales of one to two millimeters in diameter. The second patch of skin (20 cm × 20 cm) is seen under the fourth and fifth cervical vertebrae and includes strongly dorsoventrally elongated (0.5 cm × 11 cm) scutate ventral scales that were probably mediolaterally oriented in life."

For comparison here is how Concavenator's scutate ventral scales are described in both the supplementary material (Appendix S3.4):

"On the ventral surface of the tail between caudal vertebrae 28 and 38, there is a single 'segmented' row of rectangular, anteroposteriorly elongated ventral scutate scales (scale length = 13–17 mm; Fig. 9A, B). High- and low-fluorescence responses of these scales indicate different patterns of preservation as in other parts of the specimen (Cuesta et al., 2015; Cuesta, 2017). Scutate ventral scales in the most distal part of the tail are similarly 'segmented' but are anteroposteriorly short (scale length = 5–8 mm) and have an apparent mediolateral polarity (width = 8–15 mm) similar to those from the same region of the tail of Juravenator and reminiscent of the ventral scales on the underside of a snake (Bell & Hendrickx, 2021; Fig. 9A, B)."

If anyone else has a better idea about this, and the sculpt currently takes this into account, please feel free to chime in.

Leyster

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin that'd be quite worthless. Here is a picture of what size said scales would have on an Allosaurus (credit: Syn_JFD). As opposed to Concavenator's tail scutes, they'd be really small at that scale.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Faelrin

L @Leyster Thanks. I'm a visual learner (edit: as mentioned earlier) and that is much more helpful to me, then trying to envision this in my own head. Looking at the gallery images now it kind of looks like that might have been implemented in some aspect after all? Or something close enough.

I mean I kind of figured something like wouldn't be too much of a problem, since Jake (sculptor) generally knows his stuff, and does reference from the available material from papers, etc. Edit: I just genuinely had a hard time discerning if what was there was kind of right or not earlier

The original images without zoom and cropping:

Faelrin

Okay here's a new update:

QuoteI hope you all had a great holiday weekend and I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who took advantage of our big sale- it was our most successful one yet!
Now it's time to get back on track with a classic Tuesday Teaser! I'm planning to have the Cyberzoic BackerKit surveys ready for this Friday. One of the reasons for the delay other than the holiday festivities and the large number of offerings, is that I also want to complete the two remaining prototypes, which are Dybukk and the alt mode for the Yutyrannus armor. And today we have a WIP look at the painted Dybukk figure, currently on the work desk.
All will be revealed soon so stay tuned!

Very glad to see this guy getting painted up now. I kept ogling at his unpainted prototype while at the con. I just noticed the scales on his limbs, which makes sense considering he's a dragon human hybrid, but yeah.

LucasLiu

UPDATE: #Cyberzoic BackerKit surveys- they're pretty much finished and I'm just waiting for final approval from BackerKit, but I expect to have all of the surveys sent out by Wednesday. In the meantime, I was able to finish the last prototype- the Ice Stalker vehicle mode!

Stegotyranno420

With the armour on, it goes from PNSO to Imaginext.

David96

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on December 04, 2023, 07:26:49 PMWith the armour on, it goes from PNSO to Imaginext.

Prehistoric Planet + Zoids = Cyberzoic  ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: