News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

So I went to Legions Con today after all. I got some comparison pics (as mentioned above), and many others. I had a great time talking to David, and also meeting Chris, and Ross in person for the first time. It was a blast (speaking of which we, me and my brother, literally drove through a "blasting zone" on the way there lol) chatting with them about the kickstarter, the figures themselves, and how a miracle really did happen for me to show up. What a huge relief after a rather rough past month or so.

For starter's here's a quick video giving an overview of the display (you all might want to mute it, it is loud background noise, sorry, lol):

Alright now for the comparisons:

Spoiler
First the 2020 Safari Ltd Deinonychus as requested by avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator:

2018 Mattel Jurassic World Carnotaurus:

2020 Mattel Jurassic World Amber Collection Dilophosaurus (we all got a kick as the head was popped off as I pulled it out of the bag, and had to quickly fix it, lol):

2022 Mattel Jurassic World Legacy "Velociraptor":

Neca American Werewolf:

[close]
Okay also some things of note, those were the Wave 3 paint samples on display (Tarbosaurus, Daspletosaurus, Albertosaurus, and Gorgosaurus). You might all notice this is the first time the 1/18 Smilodon is on display, which was great to see. I also noticed the Deinonychus had the lower jaw armor added to it that was shown in one of the updates which was pretty cool.

I also picked up a couple figures on my wishlist for a little bit. Yes I kind of planned ahead of time what I wanted, but it was also tough, since there was so much good stuff to pick from. I ultimately settled on the baby Diabloceratops trio (despite the adult still being buried in storage somewhere), the 1/18th Velociraptor and Protoceratops I've wanted way back when the 1/18 ceratopsians (and the two 1/6 ones) were underway, and also the beautiful Proceratosaurus. I was highly tempted by the Bistahieversor though.

I have a bunch more pics of the display, so if anyone wants to see a shot of something in particular let me know. I also tried to get some comparisons of the 1/6 Velociraptor and the 1/18 FC Medusaceratops (which I also told David about my upcoming Dinotoyblog review, since I'm almost done it and ready to upload it), but they didn't come out all that great because my camera was acting weird, but if anyone absolutely wants to see those let me know.

Okay here's a fun one for now of the Daspletosaurus having a fun snack a glowing blue Protoceratops (I got such a kick of this the moment I noticed):

Lastly here's a great pic of the table with me and the guys that my brother got for me (you can see how short I am in comparison lol):

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Giganotosaurus

Oooh nice, thanks soo much for the pictures and write up! I'm embarrassed to ask, which Smilodon figure in those photos is the 1/18?
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

Faelrin

avatar_Giganotosaurus @Giganotosaurus No worries. It's the one next to the Andrewsarchus. You can see it is slightly smaller then the larger 1/12 (painted) ones.

Some better pics of it I should have added earlier tbh:

I didn't think to zoom in when I was there (I was so tired from getting up earlier then I usually do), but here's an easier look at the 1/18 with the 1/12 one above it:

Edit: Right now I remember. I also talked about how I've been playing a lot of Ark because of it being the closest thing out there to Cyberzoic having a video game. My plans are still to tame and paint up some of the animals like the figures, like the Carnotaurus, Deinonychus, etc. I had a Carnotaurus earlier, but it died, so I need to get another one now. Deinonychus I do have, so I need to get painting that one here soon.

Edit 2: Here's another one, though with them behind the Gorgosaurus (which I practically was drooling over. Definitely want to pre-order this one before it ships out):

Doodlebot

oh dang didn't know there was going to be a 1/18th smilodon, now I feel kinda silly spending so much on it in the kickstarter. oh well though lol

Cenozoic Fauna

Incredible! Holy mackerel, these figures look phenomenal! Wow! Didn't expect to see the 1/18 smilodon this soon, looks really dynamic and incredibly awesome. Also great right up as well, and Wow! Also the display looks super cool as well. Also great video and comparisons to. Also is the andrewsarchus in 1/18 scale as well that is next to the 1/18 beast of the Cenozoic smilodon?

Faelrin

avatar_Doodlebot @Doodlebot Can always change your pledge to something else in backerkit. Just think of it is as a credit you can use.

avatar_Cenozoic Fauna @Cenozoic Fauna Yes, the Andrewsarchus is in 1/18 scale, next to the 1/18 scale Smilodon.

Concavenator

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Thank you so much for the pics, and for the comparison of the 2 Deinonychus!

That Carnotaurus looks bigger than I anticipated. And the Dilophosaurus smaller than I thought. And the Allosaurus, despite being the same length as the body 4 tyrannosaurs, doesn't appear to be as bulky, which is what one would expect.

Those tyrannosaurs look nothing short of stellar too! Unfortunately, at 1:18 they have to be a pass for me, but oh boy if they release 1:35 versions of the Daspletosaurus and the Gorgosaurus...

David96

Quote from: Faelrin on November 12, 2023, 12:15:37 PMThe Extreme Damage one? I have it on hand, but it will be too big for my little bag unfortunately. I'll definitely grab as many pics of everything as I can.

Sorry for answering this much late but that's completely understandable, there's no issue at all. As I said you have done us a big favor by updating so many pictures from the event (I had no idea that David and his crew were a bunch of freaking giants lul). The last thing, if I may ask is, did they commented something about future launches or some reveals??? Some people were mentioning that but didn't specified about what did they said exactly. If you think that David would prefer that to not be revealed before he officially does it, there's no issue at all.

Faelrin

D @David96 Well I'm also like 5'2", so yeah, lol.

And yes there was at least one thing revealed to me there (I mean aside from the 1/18 Smilodon in the pics, etc), that I joked with Ross "leaking" to me, but David was cool with it. You have no idea how excited I was when they just told me like that, lol. I do want to wait for them to drop it officially first, before I say anything, cause I don't want to steal away the thunder from it. I think it was stated to be either coming next year or like part of Cyberzoic II, my memory is fuzzy. That said it is one of my favorite prehistoric animals, and not one most people would probably think of when it comes to me and my interests (like Paleozoic stuff lol). I do have two figures of this animal in my collection currently though. Edit 2: Also not an animal I've reviewed for the blog in case anyone also wonders about that.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator I totally forgot to ask about those potential 1:35 versions, but I am right along with you, though I do also want the 1:18 versions. I mean it would be awesome to have these in multiple scales down the road, like what happened with the 1:6 Velociraptor, Protoceratops, etc getting 1:18 versions (which quite frankly having these in hand now is absolutely pushing how small they can go, though I do have the Wild Past Protoceratops as well).

Edit: Right I also figured now that I've got some sleep, here's some pics of the display as well (though the video I shared earlier is probably the better way to look at it together):

Spoiler

[close]

David96

Quote from: Faelrin on November 13, 2023, 06:28:26 PMI do want to wait for them to drop it officially first, before I say anything, cause I don't want to steal away the thunder from it.

That's completely understandable, don't worry. Although you left me with the curiosity, I even went straight to your collection's thread to see which figure you have two of lul. I guess I'll have to wait then, however if I'm understanding it right it's a paleozoic species??? I definitely didn't expected to see those so soon!!!  :o

Faelrin

D @David96 I meant that despite many of my favorite prehistoric animals being from the Paleozoic (like a lot of folks here are probably familiar with, and would probably suspect as a result), it's definitely not from then. I actually haven't been too vocal about it here, despite it being one of my favorite prehistoric animals. Perhaps another hint is that a figure of it released this year, but it is not one within my collection. The DinoToyCollector website may help narrow it down. If anyone does guess it correctly, I'll be impressed, but I won't confirm it until the time comes.

Concavenator

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Again, thank you for more pics.

As for further 1:35 releases from them, if they're considering any of those tyrannosaurs, then I would say it's likely we will be getting 1:35 versions of dinosaurs like Allosaurus, Carnotaurus or Stegosaurus down the road, since these 3 genera are by themselves more famous than any non-Tyrannosaurus tyrannosauroid. I asked David last year about a 1:35 Allosaurus and he told me he doesn't rule out the idea.

And yeah, those 1:18 raptors and ceratopsians are tiny. Well, I don't have any of the 1:18 basal ceratopsians, but I do have the 1:18 Velociraptor and it's surprisingly small (even more so the engineering at such a small size). But the point is that it's great they're offering smaller versions of their models. Of course being at 1:18 they scale with most of the ceratopsians and the tyrannosaurs too.

You left me curious with that teaser too! I bet for either Parasaurolophus, Coelodonta or Aenocyon;)

Doodlebot

Quote from: David96 on November 09, 2023, 12:46:23 AMRegarding the Stegosaurs, don't worry guys, David already mentioned them on the Stream. Although it wasn't very clear if we'll get them in CZ2 or in CZ3. David also mentioned in facebook a while ago that he'd like to do a Dacentrurus, and I don't know how confirmed it is but I'd love to see that.
About Cryolophosaurus, David said that all of the figures in the OG list are still planned but some of them for quite far along. So at worst, we should be able to get the Cryolophosaurus in CZ3.
Now about Allosaurus Fragilis, if I remember correctly David confirmed it for CZ2.
And regarding the Ceratopsians, David also mentioned them in the Stream (Ross went as far as mentioning the Pentaceratops). Triceratops for example is confirmed to come for Cyberzoic II but it'll be "updated", David mentioned giving it a new scaly frill given that they found frill skin impressions with scales and the queratined face reconstruction got outdated.
Although tbh, I wish that the other Ceratopsians could come straight to Pre-Order given that most of them are just repaints and small figures so they shouldn't be too expensive to produce. And specially so David can focus the Kickstarter in funding the brand new figures since those are the most expensive to create.
Also I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Ankylosaurs, since David said more than once that he's interested in doing them for Cyberzoic III and that those are some of the most popular herbivorous Dinosaurs. I personally hope that we at least get 2-3 of them. Ankylosaurus offcourse given that it is the biggest and most popular, Saichania maybe because David already made one, and if there could be a third one then Euoplocephalus or Tarchia could be great options.
did he make any mention about updating anything else about the Triceratops model? or will it be like the Yutyrannus and Dryptosaurus where it will get updated articulation?

Faelrin

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Glad to be of help with these pics once again.

Man it never even crossed my mind once about potentially having Carnotaurus in that scale as well. In due time I hope, in due time. I'm sure I said it before, but articulated 1:35 scale dinosaurs is definitely an untapped gold mine of potential I think, at least for some of the popular species. Aside from the BotM T. rex and (sub-adult) Triceratops, I think the only other (highly) articulated figures in this scale have been from Kaiyodo right (and only T. rex)? The BotM Gorgosaurus and Styracosaurus would look so good next to PNSO's hadrosaurids for example. Probably many years off if it can happen, but a man can dream.
Edit: I mean I waited since like 2016 or 2017 for a possible Gorgosaurus in the line some day (because of the Dromaeosaurus, and Mountain set), as well as an articulated version of the Arctic Dragon, and both are finally on the horizon now. And well worth the wait I say.

And yeah having both the 1:18 Velociraptor and 1:18 Protoceratops in hand now, it absolutely blows my mind how articulation on these were pulled off. I mean it did before with the reviews, but having it in hand does it justice in a way that's not possible with video reviews (or images) no matter how helpful they are. One of these days I'll need to dig out the Wild Past one to get a size comparison (perhaps with the big 1:6 figure as well, whenever I can be reunited with it once again).

And since it seems David might be dipping into offering some 1:12 figures in the future (what with the existing Smilodon, possible Deinonychus, never mind the humans as well), it might also be cool to see these two get the 1:12 treatment as well. A size for any occasion lol.

Cenozoic Fauna

Edit, also thanks for the answers and awesome photos! That's awesome to hear, looking forward to the upcoming beast of the Cenozoic line and 1/18 smilodon and andrewsarchus, and cyberzoic 2. Also apologies, posted late, typed really quickly forgot a few things. Also Hmmm regarding this mystery figure the creative beast studio team have hinted at, It's got to be the infamous red megalodon, or perhaps a mega terrordactyl?! Lol but for real though that's awesome to hear avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin that there is another unexpected and cool  figure in store yet to be announced, wonder if it will be for the Cenozoic line and cyberzoic part 2 line up to. Also will be cool to know what sort of prehistoric species it will be once it's officially announced.

Pliosaurking

Great photos avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin! I'm especially excited for that 1:18 scale Smilodon and Andrewsarchus, glad I held out on the 1:12 one as nice as it is. I'm very excited and curious to see that yet to be announced figure! This entire line is definitely one of, if not the best lines of animal figures ever produced!

Flaffy

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin thank you so much for all the pics! Very excited to see the Andrewsarchus, definitely one of my most anticipated from the Cyberzoic line. Quite intrigued on what David has cooking up behind the scenes as well :o , my mind is racing to figure out what species it is.

And seconded on drooling over that absolutely beautiful Gorgosaurus... I originally intended to get both the Tarbosaurus and Gorgosaurus before making a rule to limit myself to one figure per body type (small Body 1 Tyrannosauroids excluded as they're pretty affordable by comparison). But seeing it in action is definitely weakening my resolve... Blue just goes so well with Gorgosaurus, and I like how the final figure has more pronounced lacrimals (taller and sharper?) than the original sculpt.

Side note on accuracy: While BotM Gorgosaurus has lips, I'm wondering if David (Jake) used the subadult or adult skull for the sculpt. Especially since the revelation that PNSO used a mature specimen for their own Gorgosaurus.

Cenozoic Fauna

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Also for the teaser, aka The mystery figure. If I had to guess? id say, bet it's Meiolania cf. platyceps, the giant Australian Pleistocene species in particular from the Wyandotte creek locality.

Though perhaps it could be something else entirely, it's certainly very intriguing to ponder about, will be cool to finally see what species it will be when it's officially announced. 👍

Concavenator

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Well, that sure is the long wait! Bet you will be ecstatic once you finally get your Gorgosaurus.

I'm really not aware of any 1:35ish articulated dinosaur figures other than those 2 BotMs. That said, I don't consider myself an action figure collector, I prefer static ones. What happens is that usually BotM's are my favorite representations of the animals in the market. It's just the size that's preventing me from getting more, at least for the larger species. Which is why 1:35 versions would come really handy. And this appears to be the same situation for other collectors too, more than once I've seen people say something along the lines of: "That X looks amazing, but it's too big for me".

That said, I could still do an exception from time to time. I can see myself getting the 1:18 Allosaurus as it's my favorite dinosaur and the Creative Beast one will be the best on the market upon release (unless someone beats them to it). Same for Carnotaurus, another dinosaur I like a lot. But yeah, for the moment I'd rather wait, and probably will only be going for them if I'm fearing they will go discontinued. For example, I'm glad I got the Chasmosaurus, because it seems to be discontinued now. Next year I will probably get the BotM Yutyrannus (well, if Meng releases one I'd be curious about that), since that would be almost 2 years since the release and I fear it will run out of stock. Definitely don't want to miss out on that one. That said, I would instantly replace it for a 1:35 version if one was to be released lol.

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy The BotM Gorgosaurus looks to be based on CMN 2120 (the holotype). That specimen is an adult (Voris 2018).

Leyster

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy PNSO didn't use a mature specimen. More soon.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: