You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which Mesozoic dinosaurs have good figures and which don't, according to Sim

Started by Sim, July 24, 2023, 06:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I'm working on the list from top to bottom and I've colour coded some more groups.  I've also added some figures I didn't include the first time around, mostly mini figures.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on October 29, 2023, 08:13:35 PMA major update!  I'm colour coding the figures to distinguish between small, medium and very large size.

Good idea!

Sim

Sim

I've finished colour coding Theropoda figures!  So many Kaiyodo Tyrannosaurus...

Sim

Sim

I've finished colour coding Centrosaurinae figures.  There was so many...

Concavenator

I noticed the Wild Past Protoceratops isn't on the list. Is there anything wrong with it?

Sim

I didn't include the Wild Past Protoceratopsbecause it has 3D printing lines.  Do you think I should include it?

Concavenator

Yeah, I would include it. I don't think that's a big deal and I'd say it's a pity to leave it out of the list when the figure itself is accurate. Not all of us like every single figure on the list aesthetically, what matters is accuracy and the Wild Past Protoceratops does that job fine.

Sim

Okay, I've added the WP Protoceratops to the list, thanks.  I'm currently waiting for the dinotoycollector site to get the logo for Meng before continuing to update the list.

Sim

I've resumed work on the list!  I've now done all of Chasmosaurinae!

Sim

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Is there anything wrong with these figures?

- Qualia Lambeosaurus
- Qualia Fukuivenator
- Favorite Saurolophus

I think they're pretty good, I would add them.

Sim

I partially forgot about Qualia figures.  I had started going through the company pages on the dinotoycollector site in an attempt to not miss figures, but I've only got up to C so far.  I've now added the Qualia Lambeosaurus and the Tyrannosaurus from the same set.  I'm not sure if I should add the figures from the most recent Qualia set, including the Fukuivenator, as they don't have pupils.  Do you think I should add them?

I haven't added the Favorite Saurolophus because it has a duck bill.  Darren Naish made a blog post about how hadrosaurids don't really have duck bills (and shouldn't be referred to as duckbills) based on an Edmontosaurus specimen that has the beak keratin preserved showing the beak projected vertically from the bone and didn't look like a duck's beak.  For this reason the Carnegie Maiasaura and the PNSO Shantungosaurus aren't in the list too.

Concavenator

Oh okay, I hadn't realized that. Yeah, I've seen that idea mentioned very recently, don't recall where. But I agree that's an important factor.

Onto the newest Qualia figures, in the promo shots all of them except the adult Tyrannosaurus had pupils, so the final figures lacking them seems to be just a quality control issue, or maybe some copies have it and others don't. I had the Qualia Lambeosaurus myself and those figures are really tiny (they're gashapon figures after all), so I wouldn't be bothered about that. I admit it's an annoying mistake, but at the same time, it's also a really easy fix even for someone with null painting skills like me.

Eatmycar

Quick question, should the Mattel Corythosaurus be added? I see the Hammond Collection Parasaurolophus is on this list, and while I like it, it is definitely sub-par compared to the Corythosaurus. I'm also going to argue against Caroline for Corythosaurus as a good figure - she is plagued with stability issues, and frankly, has a bobblehead.

That said, I'm quite surprised to see how little good representation there is of a modern Corythosaurus. Next to Parasaurolophus, Corythosaurus IS iconic!

CarnotaurusKing

Not sure the Battat Euoplocephalus and Favorite Co Ankylosaurus should be here (or at least not representing the species they're listed under). The Battat looks like the usual pre-2013 hodgepodge of Euoplocephalus, Scolosaurus and cf. Anodontosaurus, and the Favorite Co Ankylosaurus, despite having a cf. Anodontosaurus tail club, has a distinctly Ankylosaurus-like head and Scolosaurus armour.
HAOLONGGOOD's upcoming Euoplocephalus doesn't look too bad as a representation of Euoplocephalus itself though.

Sim

Okay, I've added the 2023 Qualia figures and Mattel Corythosaurus, as well as the Haolonggood Tlatolophus.  Stability doesn't affect whether a figure is in the list, but I've removed the PNSO Corythosaurus as its proportions are quite off.  With regards to Corythosaurus lacking good modern representation, if the people who ask for a Magnapaulia asked for Corythosaurus instead, a good new Corythosaurus figure might be made!

Regarding those ankylosaurid figures: The Battat Euoplocephalus appears to be Scolosaurus cutleri with the unknown part (the tail club) coming from Anodontosaurus.  It would be better for the tail club to be round as in Scolosaurus thronus, but I'm not sure this should be enough to remove it from the list.  The Favorite Ankylosaurus's head was by Victoria said to be based on Euoplocephalus here, before Euoplocephalus was split: https://dinotoyblog.com/ankylosaurus-soft-model-by-favorite-co-ltd/  Since its tail club comes from Anodontosaurus, and the body armour of Anodontosaurus is unknown, and its head looks possible for Anodontosaurus, the only part that can be definitely identified of this figure comes from Anodontosaurus, I think, so that's why I've classified the Favorite Ankylosaurus as Anodontosaurus.  The Haolonggood Euoplocephalus looks very good, it appears to be the first good modern "Euoplocephalus-like" ankylosaurid figure.  Let me know if you still think the placement on the list of the Battat Euoplocephalus and Favorite Ankylosaurus should be changed, C @CarnotaurusKing.

Concavenator

Meng's Zhuchengtyrannus is already available (Paleofiguras has shared some links where it can be bought), so it can be added to the list.

Sim

Thanks avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator!  I've added the Meng Zhuchengtyrannus to the list.  I've also colour coded Nodosauridae figures!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: