News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

All Yesterdays Models

Started by suspsy, May 10, 2022, 10:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

While I see some novelty appeal in a ghastly shrinkwrapped swan, the only one of these I might actually buy is the therizinosaur.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

LucasLiu

ItsTwentyBelow

Hmm. These look a bit rough/unfinished, they're only available on Etsy, and they're expensive as all Hell? I thought these were going to be a bit more official.

I'd advise them to stay away from wasting resources on hideous things like that swan. Maybe 5 people will be interested in owning/displaying that... friends and family would never understand it, seeing it on your shelf.

suspsy

Screw that, I definitely want that damn swan. And all the other warped takes on extant animals.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ItsTwentyBelow

Ok. Maybe you and 4 other people are interested in paying over $50 for an unfinished looking model of something like that.

I'll be interested to see if that Therizinosaurus receives a coat of paint, however. EDIT: I guess the solid black version is the one with paint.

suspsy

Four other people. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Because that's precisely how many people bought a copy of All Yesterdays and truly enjoyed it.

Just please don't try to tell other people how to spend their resources. Your tastes extend no further than your own person.

Stegotyranno420

I agree with avatar_ItsTwentyBelow @ItsTwentyBelow .
Let the people watse their money if they do noy wish to listen to your advice. If the sculpting quality is low, imagine the physical quality (as in durability, warping). These look like amature clay models
All of this for 50 USD a pop . One of them doesnt even have a leg(or at least it appears so).
I seen Schliech figures better.

suspsy

Again, not personally liking a product is fine, but declaring that other people are wasting their money is straight up unnecessary and insulting. That's not your call or anyone else's to make. You wouldn't appreciate it if someone declared that purchasing your artwork is a waste of money.

Stegotyranno420

Maybe some of our wording was harsh, but I cannot comprehend spending 50 USD on something like this, especially when there is the opportunity to produce something more faithful to the book, which is already a novel concept itself. I guess its more of a let down than overall hatred.
We say it is a waste of money because we think, or at least I say, one can probably find a way for a more faithful rendition by customization or commision. I feel as if these sculptures were quickly made for the crowd. Besides, I was using some rhetoric to express my thought.
There isnt any robust detail applied to these, and they could have been executed better

Carnoking

These definitely strike me as novelty items, which I can appreciate them for. But I'm personally not willing to shell out that much for such an item.

If they take off, maybe we'll see something more "official" down the line though.

suspsy

Again, it's not your place to tell anyone else that they're wasting their own money by purchasing merchandise you personally dislike. I don't care for Funko Pops myself, but I don't go around telling anyone else not to buy them.

If you don't like that swan, don't buy it, plain and simple. But leave it at that.

Carnoking

Quote from: suspsy on December 07, 2023, 07:43:35 PMAgain, it's not your place to tell anyone else that they're wasting their own money by purchasing merchandise you personally dislike. I don't care for Funko Pops myself, but I don't go around telling anyone else not to buy them.

If you don't like that swan, don't buy it, plain and simple. But leave it at that.

Was this in response to me or did my comment just get mixed in early?

suspsy

Quote from: Carnoking on December 07, 2023, 07:46:42 PM
Quote from: suspsy on December 07, 2023, 07:43:35 PMAgain, it's not your place to tell anyone else that they're wasting their own money by purchasing merchandise you personally dislike. I don't care for Funko Pops myself, but I don't go around telling anyone else not to buy them.

Was this in response to me or did my comment just get mixed in early?

The latter.

Perotorum

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on December 07, 2023, 07:06:36 PMI agree with avatar_ItsTwentyBelow @ItsTwentyBelow .
Let the people watse their money if they do noy wish to listen to your advice. If the sculpting quality is low, imagine the physical quality (as in durability, warping). These look like amature clay models
All of this for 50 USD a pop . One of them doesnt even have a leg(or at least it appears so).
I seen Schliech figures better.
In quality, it us below Schleich, but above Papo Concavenator.

GojiraGuy1954

The schleich comparisons are unreal
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Baryonyx

Really unnecessarily rude comments, not least considering this is the enterpirse of a single individual, not a massive anonymous corporation, and that Darren Naish was himself involved or instigated these coming to fruition. They're faithful renditions of the artwork and the sculpting aesthetic should be respected for what it is. I think they appropriately reflect the spirit of All Yesterdays. I daresay they're expensive because they cost an inordinate amount of time and energy to bring into existence, as you can see if you follow Splendidhand's posts on Instagram.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Yeah I really wouldn't expect this level of blind hate and anger from this place to be honest.

Gwangi

I think they're great. I really like the T. rex in particular. They're expensive, but these are individually made pieces of art, not mass produced toys. They're one of a kind and probably going to be limited in number. I think Splendidhand nailed the look of them. Why do I see someone complaining about the black Therizinosaurus when that's exactly what it looks like in the book?

ItsTwentyBelow

Hate and anger? How does anyone interpolate that? Come on people. Maybe a differing opinion, I guess I just don't walk on eggshells and like to think outside of the box, sheesh. At least be happy for the discussion this generated.

This is partly why I do not enjoy posting here much anymore.

Anyway, I guess was a bigger fan of the book All Your Yesterdays. More believable reconstructions. It would be kind of neat to see the furry Dimetrodon with its "nursing" young. Might be difficult to produce figures though because that was a lot of fan art.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: