News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Concavenator on December 27, 2023, 02:23:03 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on December 27, 2023, 12:24:48 PMSecond, they have reached a quite high level of scientific accuracy that places them as one of the top three players in the field. I count in this category also Eofauna and PNSO.

I disagree with this. Eofauna and PNSO are both more consistent with scientific accuracy than HLG. Safari as well.

Good thing is this can be solved with more research, or asking the community for advice. And since they've already showed us W.I.P.s of some of their upcoming works, here's to hoping next year their figures will be more scientifically accurate. This is my only gripe with them, really. Their paint apps are great, and so are the prices and the interaction with fans.

Precisely. Eofauna hasn't missed in any major way as far as I can tell throughout their entire catalogue, rex pending (granted their offerings are limited compared to other companies). And PNSO has been doing really really good work lately, and seems to have grown out of their hit-or-miss phase from a couple years back e.g. the period where that cursed "Sinraptor" was created...

If HLG tightened up on the scientific research they'd be one of the top dogs in the game. And I recall HLG showing WIP images of the Euoplocephalus a few weeks back? I wonder if anything's been updated since. I'm guessing the Kosmoceratops was too far along to receive edits in time to fix accuracy issues.

Flaffy

Quote from: Ambre on December 27, 2023, 09:41:54 AM

As an avid Sinoceratops enjoyer there's no way for me to resist getting this into my collection. Heck I even got most of those godawful (reconstruction wise) Sinoceratops from the JW franchise.

Glad to see it has a sharp beak this time, wondering if the Kosmoceratops's unusually blunted beak was due to molding issues or an intentional design choice? I also hope the signature knobs on the top of the frill, unique to Sinoceratops, are represented on the HLG figure. I eagerly await more angles.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like the roaring pose, I'm just still suffering ceratopsian shock from all the BotM releases..

ceratopsian

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy - there seem to be knobs of some sort at least visible on the Sinoceratops on the far side of the water.  But yes, need to see in better detail!

Flaffy

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 27, 2023, 03:46:23 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy - there seem to be knobs of some sort at least visible on the Sinoceratops on the far side of the water.  But yes, need to see in better detail!

Indeed! And since HLG is doing chinese ceratopsians now, would love to see their take on a Psittacosaurus that isn't P. mongoliensis or P. sibiricus. 12 different species to choose from and most companies only go for P. mongoliensis...

ItsTwentyBelow

Wow, the Kosmoceratops and now this Sinoceratops both look really good! Hoping the Sino scales well in the 1:35-1:40 range.

Considering the modest pricing of these figures compared to Eofauna or PNSO, they have better value overall to me, as the inaccuracies tend to be minor and not worth quibbling over in my opinion. They have mostly kept their dinosaurs in a pretty tight scale which I like, even if that means MASSIVE sauropods! The paint jobs continue to be overall well done. It's honestly made me reluctant to seek out new Safari figures because those paint apps are always noticeably sloppier.

Pliosaurking

Haolonggood keep up the good work, that Sinoceratops looks great!

Sim

I like the Haolonggood Sinoceratops, its pose including the open mouth is pleasing.  However I have the PNSO Sinoceratops which I also like and it's in the same scale as the PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus which I also have.  I don't want to have two Sinoceratops...  I guess I will decide whether to replace the PNSO with the Haolonggood when I see more of the latter, including its size.  I wish Haolonggood would have made a ceratopsian that lacked a good model instead, like Chasmosaurus belli...  I imagine the Haolonggood Sinoceratops will sell well in China though.

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on December 27, 2023, 03:52:52 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on December 27, 2023, 03:46:23 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy - there seem to be knobs of some sort at least visible on the Sinoceratops on the far side of the water.  But yes, need to see in better detail!

Indeed! And since HLG is doing chinese ceratopsians now, would love to see their take on a Psittacosaurus that isn't P. mongoliensis or P. sibiricus. 12 different species to choose from and most companies only go for P. mongoliensis...

At an estimated length of about 2 meters for mongoliensis and possibly a bit longer for some other species, this would be a model of 6-7 cm in 1:35 scale. Nothing is impossible, but I would doubt that Haolonggood would go for such a small figure considering that they stated at some point that Kentrosaurus which was estimated at around 5 meters would be too small for them.

Gwangi

Figures like this make it hard to stick to my recently implemented 1-figure-per-species rule. I already have the PNSO Sinoceratops and have no desire to replace it, but I also want this one too!

Quiversaurus

Hit after hit, HLG is doing so well in pumping out not just quality models, but quality herbivores that other companies aren't doing. They are really doing good market research, it seems, and snapping up all the business from the gaps in other companies' catalogues. And even when they go toe to toe (eg vs PNSO's Alamosaurus), they come out ahead (because of the true 1:35 scale). Very good stuff.

This Sinoceratops looks tremendous, and I can't wait to see it in comparison with PNSO's (older, now) version.

Excited too for more pictures of S. ungulatus, and more reveals!

Flaffy

Quote from: Quiversaurus on December 27, 2023, 06:54:33 PMExcited too for more pictures of S. ungulatus, and more reveals!

I hope they fix the thagomiser position before releasing the figure though.

Over9K

Am I seeing a tighter granularity to the overall skin texturing than previous models on both the Kosmo and Sino?

The poses still give that Haolonggood flavor, but the skin has improved markedly recently, almost looks late-PNSO-esque.

Carnoking

Quote from: Over9K on December 28, 2023, 04:52:14 AMAm I seeing a tighter granularity to the overall skin texturing than previous models on both the Kosmo and Sino?

The poses still give that Haolonggood flavor, but the skin has improved markedly recently, almost looks late-PNSO-esque.

I'm frankly dumbfounded by how quickly HAOLONGGOOD has refined their detail work. PNSO went through a similar improvement but it seemed to take them a lot longer to hone!

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on December 27, 2023, 07:02:29 PM
Quote from: Quiversaurus on December 27, 2023, 06:54:33 PMExcited too for more pictures of S. ungulatus, and more reveals!

Once again, it's so remarkable that it really is possible that HLG might just do this, since they have a proven track record of responsiveness to constructive comments on the DTF. I mean, virtually nobody else would do this. Quite remarkable.

thomasw100

Quote from: SidB on December 28, 2023, 12:33:41 PM

Once again, it's so remarkable that it really is possible that HLG might just do this, since they have a proven track record of responsiveness to constructive comments on the DTF. I mean, virtually nobody else would do this. Quite remarkable.

Even more likely now, because they stated here that they have made a decision to share early designs for review and feedback with the community. And this will mostly concern things like scientific accuracy and maybe the size of the model. Probably rather not the color scheme again after the somewhat controversial discussion that emerged after they shared the paint schemes of the Alamosaurus. I would even advise them against doing the latter again. There is nothing to gain with this exercise, because what will be liked by some will be disliked by others. The take home message for them from this first run is probably that there are people who like classic designs along the lines of PNSO models and people who like more fancy and colorful designs. They probably know this already.

SidB

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 28, 2023, 12:54:58 PM
Quote from: SidB on December 28, 2023, 12:33:41 PM

Even more likely now, because they stated here that they have made a decision to share early designs for review and feedback with the community. And this will mostly concern things like scientific accuracy and maybe the size of the model. Probably rather not the color scheme again after the somewhat controversial discussion that emerged after they shared the paint schemes of the Alamosaurus. I would even advise them against doing the latter again. There is nothing to gain with this exercise, because what will be liked by some will be disliked by others. The take home message for them from this first run is probably that there are people who like classic designs along the lines of PNSO models and people who like more fancy and colorful designs. They probably know this already.
I wonder if they practice this spirit of openness on other forums, say in China, for instance. If so, it would go a long way in explaining why their business is 'taking off' so quickly. And that would go hand-in-hand with a readiness to acquire and implement new technological capabilities, so we are seeing, accordingly, a rapidly improving product line-up from them.

dragon53

I emailed Lana Time and asked if the Haolonggood Alamosaurus paint schemes on their website were the production paint schemes and got no reply.

I'm leaning towards the grey version now.

postsaurischian

Quote from: dragon53 on December 28, 2023, 02:31:31 PMI emailed Lana Time and asked if the Haolonggood Alamosaurus paint schemes on their website were the production paint schemes and got no reply.

I'm leaning towards the grey version now.

In this special case LanaTime doesn't have more information than we do.

I pre-ordered version B because experience taught me that I can trust in HAOLONGGOOD's painting capabilities and I have seen enough.

Abobo

WOW...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: