News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

NANMU---new for 2024

Started by dragon53, January 01, 2024, 02:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

Blade-of-the-Moon

I said it before they will have a difficult time beating the HC Carnotaurus is my first thought. Size, eyes, paint, and of course cost. It will be interesting how it stacks up. We also still haven't received the first products in this line either. I would be hesitant to preorder without getting the raptors to review in hand.

Carnoking

Exciting but I can sure agree with what avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon

Flaffy

Nanmu's Carnotaurus headsculpt always felt a bit Tyrannosaur like to me and I think I've identified why:
- Maxilla too curved, it is noticeably flatter in the movie design
- Height of maxilla shouldn't extend past the jugal bone
- Mandible is too robust
- Preorbital crania is probably too long too, lacking the signature upturned bulldog snout of Carnotaurus

Blade-of-the-Moon

The image you posted as a comparison is P1's budget line Carno?  Not really here or there but it has some pretty bad paint apps.

Flaffy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 02, 2024, 02:37:45 AMThe image you posted as a comparison is P1's budget line Carno?  Not really here or there but it has some pretty bad paint apps.

Yeah, and well aware of how abysmal the actual model is. But the promotional pictures serves as a good representation of what the JW Carnotaurus should look like in figure form, in particular the screen accuracy of the sculpt itself compared to Nanmu's attempt(s).

Blade-of-the-Moon

My apologies, I thought the actual screen cap illustrated the point a bit better and  I was expecting a Nanmu Carno image to compare it to.

I do agree with you, though looking at the various films and images from them I can see where they got the idea it should be tyrannosaur like. The detailed close up shot looks a lot different than many of the others.

dragon53

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think they had some accurate elements in each? This new one might be the better of the three.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Carnoking

Not a huge fan of the packaging but the final products still look incredible for the price point! Here's hoping the build quality and articulation are just as good!

Faelrin

The paintwork on the male looks too dark to me but hopefully it is a matter of lighting. For example, compare this animatronic to it:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Prehistory Resurrection

These are by Nanmu?! I wasn't aware they were making articulated collectibles now... These are definitely better than the Amber Collection and Hammond Collection offerings from Mattel. Though I don"t have any of these, what I learnt from this hobby is never rush to get an offering from a specific company because better ones are on their way. Are these more or less the same price as the Mattel ones?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on January 05, 2024, 09:22:14 AMNot a huge fan of the packaging but the final products still look incredible for the price point! Here's hoping the build quality and articulation are just as good!

lol I thought the same, I won't feel bad tossing the packages to these. They thanked those that purchased allowing them to make the next products in this line but also said again the next products would be better.

Quote from: Faelrin on January 05, 2024, 01:55:32 PMThe paintwork on the male looks too dark to me but hopefully it is a matter of lighting. For example, compare this animatronic to it:

It depends which references they used and the lighting from that scene. I think the CG models were darker?

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on January 05, 2024, 02:07:59 PMThese are by Nanmu?! I wasn't aware they were making articulated collectibles now... These are definitely better than the Amber Collection and Hammond Collection offerings from Mattel. Though I don"t have any of these, what I learnt from this hobby is never rush to get an offering from a specific company because better ones are on their way. Are these more or less the same price as the Mattel ones?

Yes they are Nanmu. These are their first articulated pieces.  They are in terms of look at least, I'm reserving judgment until I get them to see just how poseable they are.  The only problem with that logic and I do tend to agree with you, is some things do disappear never to be seen again, it's hard to tell just what that will be though. In terms of these articulated pieces in this scale I'd say these are at the top currently. Price each is about 48.00 so more than Mattel but a much more accurate sculpt and detail. https://lanatime-shop.com/collections/nanmu-studio/products/nanmusmart01

Faelrin

Definitely lighter then that in film pic (where shadows are cast on it). I was on mobile earlier and had issues with posting some of these pics:

Maquette (I think) and some more animatronic pics:

In film pics with better lighting:

Edit: I sent them (Nanmu) a message on instagram with these pics in case it would be of help. I really hope they can fix this, if it isn't darker because of the lighting. Granted I've also seen a lot of customs (of Mattel figures) that have the same issue of making it too dark, possibly from referencing a lot of those in film shots taken in darker lighting conditions (or in shadow), which would make it look darker then it actually is.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

dragon53

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on January 05, 2024, 04:15:41 PMDefinitely lighter then that in film pic (where shadows are cast on it). I was on mobile earlier and had issues with posting some of these pics:

Maquette (I think) and some more animatronic pics:

In film pics with better lighting:

Edit: I sent them (Nanmu) a message on instagram with these pics in case it would be of help. I really hope they can fix this, if it isn't darker because of the lighting. Granted I've also seen a lot of customs (of Mattel figures) that have the same issue of making it too dark, possibly from referencing a lot of those in film shots taken in darker lighting conditions (or in shadow), which would make it look darker then it actually is.

As I said I just think they are referencing darker images. Only that one of the male calling for help is in film, it was kinda darker in most shots so I'm better they had no idea.  That said I would expect the same colors shown on their other JP3 Raptors to be used for these. I mean why not?

Blade-of-the-Moon

For anyone wanting the Therizinosaurus from Nanmu it sounds about likely now as Indominus. Granted they are being spammed about it on their FB posts but here are some of their replies about it. Note this is all public and can be found in their newest post about Kong.

Quote本心楠改工作室 Nanmu studio
Erwin Villa Several people posting the same content in all posts will only lead to the postponement of the project, because the company's management will think that someone is just trying to force the will of others and not really interested in the product. Of course, you can continue to do it this way. But I will not reply again.

Helen Miller In fact, the voice on the Internet can not even gather 100 people. This kind of ineffective investment will only make our time and money come to naught. Think of others. If the market demand is great, more manufacturers will invest in sickle dragon, but in fact? Is it because a few fans have put forward their opinions, and we judge that this is a losing business, and if we do not implement it, we are not welcome?

Once you start implementing the plan, this is equivalent to 3-4 months of investment and tens of thousands of dollars in upfront investment. But if few people buy it in the end, we can only bear the losses ourselves in the end. We have done this many times before (such as stegosaurus, ceratosaurus, claw dinosaur, these are the requirements of fans, we spend a lot of time and money to do, but sales are not ideal. Of course, at that time, we had a "good reputation". Now some people think that if we don't do things according to their wishes, we just don't listen to our clients. Naturally, we don't have a "good reputation" and are replaced by all kinds of slander and humiliation.

Sounds like they have been having a hard time of it. I didn't know the Ceratosaurus and Stegosaurus were poor sellers? I assumed Mordred among others would have been worse?

It sounds like they are trying to use social media views and likes to make their products or am I wrong?

Bread

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 07, 2024, 05:16:47 PM
Once you start implementing the plan, this is equivalent to 3-4 months of investment and tens of thousands of dollars in upfront investment. But if few people buy it in the end, we can only bear the losses ourselves in the end. We have done this many times before (such as stegosaurus, ceratosaurus, claw dinosaur, these are the requirements of fans, we spend a lot of time and money to do, but sales are not ideal. Of course, at that time, we had a "good reputation". Now some people think that if we don't do things according to their wishes, we just don't listen to our clients. Naturally, we don't have a "good reputation" and are replaced by all kinds of slander and humiliation.

Sounds like they have been having a hard time of it. I didn't know the Ceratosaurus and Stegosaurus were poor sellers? I assumed Mordred among others would have been worse?

It sounds like they are trying to use social media views and likes to make their products or am I wrong?
Regarding the statement of the Stegosaurus as a "poor" seller, I find that hard to believe when the figure itself is out of stock in most retailers, or it's either raised at about $20 extra from when it was first released.

I don't really understand Nanmu's goal at this point. A lot of times I think they try to release items they want to release, like Mordred and another JP Tyrannosaurus, but then other times they release items that I've seen TONS of fans/future customers wanting.

For example, they requested paleoartist for help to do possible "accurate" interpretations of prehistoric fauna, but now they seem to be going back to JP but with articulated models? It's just very inconsistent, and me personally it's not my cup of tea.

Carnoking

On one hand, I respect Nanmu's desire to work as independent artists, focusing on projects that interest them rather than bending to the whims of fans left and right.
On the other, I have a hard time believing that a figure that basically equates to "big gorilla" would be more of a sure bet than one of the breakout dinosaur stars of Jurassic World: Dominion, and that's especially true seeing as they've already made two of the three dinosaurs from that final battle. Just seems like a Therizinosaurus would be a slam dunk for them at this point, especially when the only other real option for fans and collectors right now is the $1600+ Prime 1 statue.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: