News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

NANMU---new for 2024

Started by dragon53, January 01, 2024, 02:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

Is Kong DS only, or is there a PVC version coming too?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on January 11, 2024, 04:03:02 AMIs Kong DS only, or is there a PVC version coming too?

That's a good question. I've only seen this one version so maybe they are just doing a DS version like they did with the last Vastatosaurus?

dragon53

Carnoking

Quote from: need4swede on January 10, 2024, 04:24:42 PMIs anyone here getting the Kong? It looks great, but a bit more than I would like to spend. I have some articulated Kong figures that look great, but they don't scale well with the new Nanmu VRex.

Both the original King Kong and Peter Jackson's remake are somewhere on my list of top 10 favorite films.
That said, there's no room on my shelves for no darn dirty ape!

Carnoking

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 11, 2024, 04:51:39 AM
Quote from: Over9K on January 11, 2024, 04:03:02 AMIs Kong DS only, or is there a PVC version coming too?

That's a good question. I've only seen this one version so maybe they are just doing a DS version like they did with the last Vastatosaurus?

I'd put money on retailers having a hard time getting rid of a standard release of this figure, so a limited run of 500 pieces makes more sense to me

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on January 11, 2024, 10:13:05 AM
Quote from: need4swede on January 10, 2024, 04:24:42 PMIs anyone here getting the Kong? It looks great, but a bit more than I would like to spend. I have some articulated Kong figures that look great, but they don't scale well with the new Nanmu VRex.

Both the original King Kong and Peter Jackson's remake are somewhere on my list of top 10 favorite films.
That said, there's no room on my shelves for no darn dirty ape!

While I don't watch it all the time, as a Harryhausen fan of course I love Willis O'Brian epic as well, the scenery, animation it's all fantastic, just they pretty much go around killing dinosaurs lol at least a few get to fight back. I do enjoy the 2005 version as well, one thing Skull Island, both versions are missing is well dinosaurs.

Blade-of-the-Moon

QuoteGood weekend. Carnotaurus's smart version has completed all the design work. At present, it has entered the demonstration link of the factory. I believe we can see its real object in March.
In addition, the production team has clarified some user feedback with the company, and some of your wishes may be approved.

Flaffy

Not a huge fan of how they cut the neck. The head sculpt is still a tad off too.

It's going to be really tough to beat the fantastic HC version. The only things I see Nanmu's version doing better are the eyes (not a fan of the HC glass eyes), and paint complexity, which Mattel regularly skimps out on.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on January 12, 2024, 06:06:24 AMNot a huge fan of how they cut the neck. The head sculpt is still a tad off too.

It's going to be really tough to beat the fantastic HC version. The only things I see Nanmu's version doing better are the eyes (not a fan of the HC glass eyes), and paint complexity, which Mattel regularly skimps out on.

I agree on the neck cut, it's a bit off?   

It's hard to judge when I don't have the raptors yet to go by. The material might be better? More hefty like a BotM figure? I'm sure the paint will be better as you say. Teeth and general details could be as nice as the rest of their line up which is pretty good.  We don't know how large/what scale this will be either yet.   The HC for the price though is pretty darn fantastic. 

Carnoking

Did they adjust the head sculpt? Looks a little better here.

Halichoeres

So how seriously should we take their claim that they're interested in making accurate-ish dinosaurs?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 12, 2024, 11:40:04 AMSo how seriously should we take their claim that they're interested in making accurate-ish dinosaurs?
I even mentioned in an earlier post that it seems they deviated from the whole "looking for paleoartist to create scientifically accurate dinosaur figures" since they have yet to even mention who they picked plus no sign of an accurate render of a figure yet.

Carnoking

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 12, 2024, 11:40:04 AMSo how seriously should we take their claim that they're interested in making accurate-ish dinosaurs?

They wouldn't sell, have big monke instead!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on January 12, 2024, 09:18:17 AMDid they adjust the head sculpt? Looks a little better here.

Honestly I can't tell without going back and scrutinizing their original images.  Looks pretty close to the HC Carno on my desk though.

Even if they found an artist we are probably talking late this year or next year for something to materialize depending on what they already have in the works.  I'm pretty sure they got the idea from other studios in China that are hiring the likes of David Krentz to do models for them and recently I saw Tony McVey is doing a Styracosaurus for another company

Flaffy

Quote from: Carnoking on January 12, 2024, 09:18:17 AMDid they adjust the head sculpt? Looks a little better here.

Better than their V1 and V2 Carnotaurus headsculpts, but there's still room for improvement to make it closer to the JW Carno design.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Bread on January 12, 2024, 12:16:59 PM
I even mentioned in an earlier post that it seems they deviated from the whole "looking for paleoartist to create scientifically accurate dinosaur figures" since they have yet to even mention who they picked plus no sign of an accurate render of a figure yet.

On the one hand, it could take some time to get something like that ready. On the other hand, plenty of artists have digital sculpts that are more or less ready to go for making a mold. So I don't know that to think about that.

Quote from: Carnoking on January 12, 2024, 12:58:57 PM

They wouldn't sell, have big monke instead!

Oh yeah and big shark too  ::)

Well, somebody let me know if they ever do anything interesting.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 13, 2024, 01:45:55 AM

On the one hand, it could take some time to get something like that ready. On the other hand, plenty of artists have digital sculpts that are more or less ready to go for making a mold. So I don't know that to think about that.

Went through the post regarding Nanmu's request for artist, and well I found a majority who were recommended or were themselves' interested were not digital sculptors. Of course all I've seen was wonderful pieces posted amongst their pages; however it was heavily lacking 3D sculptors, and I wonder if this is the issue Nanmu faced. Maybe these assumptions are wrong, but maybe Nanmu was really holding out hope for a majority of said artist to be 3D digital designers :P

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on January 13, 2024, 03:21:06 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 13, 2024, 01:45:55 AM

Went through the post regarding Nanmu's request for artist, and well I found a majority who were recommended or were themselves' interested were not digital sculptors. Of course all I've seen was wonderful pieces posted amongst their pages; however it was heavily lacking 3D sculptors, and I wonder if this is the issue Nanmu faced. Maybe these assumptions are wrong, but maybe Nanmu was really holding out hope for a majority of said artist to be 3D digital designers :P

I think it's a time issue. I can't see them putting out a request last month and this month teasing a product?

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 13, 2024, 03:30:01 AMI think it's a time issue. I can't see them putting out a request last month and this month teasing a product?

This.

I figured this was 'wait a year for product' after I saw the request.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on January 13, 2024, 04:04:16 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 13, 2024, 03:30:01 AMI think it's a time issue. I can't see them putting out a request last month and this month teasing a product?

This.

I figured this was 'wait a year for product' after I saw the request.

Exactly, We have no idea how many other projects are being worked on before it as well.  I think much like Rebor, they announce projects to gauge interest. They also are probably actively working on several projects at a time giving priority based on.. ?  We also really have no idea just how big a business is Nanmu.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: