News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Jurassic World Film!!!! 😀

Started by Giganotosaurus, January 22, 2024, 08:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

I kind of hope they try to be a little more conservative with the dinosaurs and focus more on the story. Jurassic Park had seven species and The Lost World had 10. For comparison, Dominion had over 30. Tyrannosaurus, velociraptor, triceratops, and parasaurolophus have been in all the Jurassic Park films so far, so it would make sense for them to return. In terms of new creatures, I'd like to see dinosaurs that are already established in canon like the metriacanthosaurus, segisaurus, proceratosaurus, and the game's troodon. The dwarf elephant would be a nice nod to the original novel as well.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

Ikessauro

Quote from: Gwangi on January 28, 2024, 01:30:22 PMLooks like Steve Brusatte is back as consultant.

https://insidethemagic.net/2024/01/jurassic-world-4-characters-dr1/

I just hope they actually listen to the consultant this time around. If is sooo frustrating to know the movies hire these professionals and then ignore their input because some Universal executive has an opinion on dinosaur behavior or anatomy

Carnoking

Again makes me hope for a director like Favreau who puts a lot of emphasis on making sure his animal characters are life-like. Sure, keeping the animals "believable" worked to the detriment of movies like The Lion King but if he brought that same commitment to creating the dinosaurs for a Jurassic movie, I think it would be a slam dunk.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Did anyone question him about decisions last time?  I know when they hired Horner for the first films I think he was more of a figurehead.

dragon53

Paleontologist Steve Brusatte said he is returning for the latest JURASSIC movie.

"It's happening. The reports are true.

A new @JurassicWorld
 film is in the works!

And I'll be back as a consultant, helping the moviemakers get a pulse on what we really know about dinosaurs.

Honored again to follow in the footsteps of @dustydino
. Stay tuned..."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on January 28, 2024, 09:52:19 PMPaleontologist Steve Brusatte said he is returning for the latest JURASSIC movie.

"It's happening. The reports are true.

A new @JurassicWorld
 film is in the works!

And I'll be back as a consultant, helping the moviemakers get a pulse on what we really know about dinosaurs.

Honored again to follow in the footsteps of @dustydino
. Stay tuned..."

I just can't recall what he advised on specifically last time? If he can get more feathers, maybe some unique behavior theories that would be pretty good I guess.  I recall many still had issues with design and such though.

Gwangi

Dominion had the best designs of the Jurassic World films. I don't know if we can credit Brusatte with that or not. It wasn't just the addition of feathers either. The Quetzalcoatlus, for example, was perhaps the best pterosaur ever depicted in a feature film. The Parasaurolophus were spectacular! The Nasutoceratops were considerably better than the Sinoceratops from Fallen Kingdom. The Apatosaurus looked much better than their Jurassic World versions. Etcetera.

Don't @ me though, I realize a lot of the designs were far from perfect, I'm just pointing out that they were better than the other two films in the JW trilogy. Obviously the director and producers and such had a hand in the design of some of these things. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on January 29, 2024, 01:40:41 AMDominion had the best designs of the Jurassic World films. I don't know if we can credit Brusatte with that or not. It wasn't just the addition of feathers either. The Quetzalcoatlus, for example, was perhaps the best pterosaur ever depicted in a feature film. The Parasaurolophus were spectacular! The Nasutoceratops were considerably better than the Sinoceratops from Fallen Kingdom. The Apatosaurus looked much better than their Jurassic World versions. Etcetera.

Don't @ me though, I realize a lot of the designs were far from perfect, I'm just pointing out that they were better than the other two films in the JW trilogy. Obviously the director and producers and such had a hand in the design of some of these things. 

I think a director and most producers are fine, As long as executives don't muddy the water I think business decisions are the main problem. People who make calls based not of love of the franchise, the art, the design but out of money and marketing is how we end up with issues.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Looks like it's official now, as per their social media.

I don't have high expectations, but I really hope it's better than the last few films. It would be great if they could bring back the look and feel of the original without the feeling that it's trying to be bigger and more over-the-top than the previous installments.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Perotorum

The fact that the production ever involved Jack Horner at any point should have warranted never having any expactations for this franchise ( other than for pure entertainment value, which kind of fizzled out by the 3rd movie).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Perotorum on February 06, 2024, 01:17:16 AMThe fact that the production ever involved Jack Horner at any point should have warranted never having any expactations for this franchise ( other than for pure entertainment value, which kind of fizzled out by the 3rd movie).

To be fair when I was a kid Jack Horner was one of the go-to-guys. He was in articles, documentaries, everything usually beside Bakker and Currie who unfortunately now, either would have proven more correct to utilize. The man has contributed a lot to paleontology though.

Quotejurassic_outpost

3h
According to @deadline, David Leitch is in talks to direct the next #JurassicWorld film – releasing July 2nd, 2025!

https://www.jurassicoutpost.com/next-jurassic-world-film-releasing-july-2nd-2025-david-leitch-eyed-to-direct

So I actually had to look him up never having really heard of him. He looks to mostly do simple stories with more action oriented plots?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Leitch

I've seen several of his films actually. Now of interest to us primarily is he served as 2nd unit Director on Jurassic World, 2015.  I'm not sure what parts he actually filmed though.

Carnoking

Nothing against his portfolio but it doesn't scream "Jurassic" to me.

Perotorum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 06, 2024, 02:12:01 AM
Quote from: Perotorum on February 06, 2024, 01:17:16 AMThe fact that the production ever involved Jack Horner at any point should have warranted never having any expactations for this franchise ( other than for pure entertainment value, which kind of fizzled out by the 3rd movie).

To be fair when I was a kid Jack Horner was one of the go-to-guys. He was in articles, documentaries, everything usually beside Bakker and Currie who unfortunately now, either would have proven more correct to utilize. The man has contributed a lot to paleontology though.

Fair enough, but didn't Gregory S. Paul advise Michael Crichton on the books, though there may have been logistical issues with his cooperation, hence the employment of Horner, who I will freely admit has done quite a bit of good work in the field, my issues happen to be his half-baked theories on behavior, namely the tyrannosaurids as obligatory scavengers theory, although my distaste of him is more so a byproduct of his more recent endeavors, in particular the erroneously nicknamed "chickenosaurus" project, as well as his more recent speculations on behavior, and the ontogeny of torosaurus and triceratops, which seems to lack any real justification other than 2 closely related, contemporary, and similarly sized taxa living in a similar faunal assemblage, I just simply think the franchise may have been better with Paul or Bakker rather than Horner ( ignoring his obvious personal issues).

EDIT: I guess it would appropriate to prove myself worth my salt, Horner is absolutely correct when it comes to sociability, not only is it backed up by numerous pieces of fossil evidence, but I would say that it is an issue in modern paleoart to under represent herd behavior, not only in certain taxa such as ankylosaurids( which has some possible evidence in liaoningosaurus and pinacosaurus), but also behavioral interaction, such as play, grooming, and interaction while travelling, all of which I have personally observed  in working with gregorious animals such as chickens, goats, cattle, and sheep, I do want to see more behaivorially focused depictions of extinct fauna, and Horner was correct in suggesting that social behavior is a key part of such. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on February 06, 2024, 02:13:55 AMNothing against his portfolio but it doesn't scream "Jurassic" to me.

Lot's of action films with some comedy tossed in.  His last film Fall Guy has wrapped and in Post Production, so I'm guessing he's also '"free" to start a new project.  He was a stunt man on a lot of films in the past so if we want action he's the guy to go to.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Perotorum on February 06, 2024, 03:11:54 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 06, 2024, 02:12:01 AM

Fair enough, but didn't Gregory S. Paul advise Michael Crichton on the books, though there may have been logistical issues with his cooperation, hence the employment of Horner, who I will freely admit has done quite a bit of good work in the field, my issues happen to be his half-baked theories on behavior, namely the tyrannosaurids as obligatory scavengers theory, although my distaste of him is more so a byproduct of his more recent endeavors, in particular the erroneously nicknamed "chickenosaurus" project, as well as his more recent speculations on behavior, and the ontogeny of torosaurus and triceratops, which seems to lack any real justification other than 2 closely related, contemporary, and similarly sized taxa living in a similar faunal assemblage, I just simply think the franchise may have been better with Paul or Bakker rather than Horner ( ignoring his obvious personal issues).

EDIT: I guess it would appropriate to prove myself worth my salt, Horner is absolutely correct when it comes to sociability, not only is it backed up by numerous pieces of fossil evidence, but I would say that it is an issue in modern paleoart to under represent herd behavior, not only in certain taxa such as ankylosaurids( which has some possible evidence in liaoningosaurus and pinacosaurus), but also behavioral interaction, such as play, grooming, and interaction while travelling, all of which I have personally observed  in working with gregorious animals such as chickens, goats, cattle, and sheep, I do want to see more behaivorially focused depictions of extinct fauna, and Horner was correct in suggesting that social behavior is a key part of such. 

Your totally correct. My respect is based on his early work, nothing really recent. I'm not going to defend him as I just don't know enough about what his current theories are and what they are based on. I also make no comment on his personal life or medical issues.

I to would have loved to see a film with Bakker there to advise, my guess is may have demanded more than they wanted to give in to? He's very outspoken and loves his work.  His novel Raptor Red was a great entertaining story with lots of social interaction in it.

GSP I think did advise in some capacity, though Crichton still ended up with snake tongued dinosaurs and vison based on movement. 

HD-man

Part of my concern is that a lot of David Leitch movies are comedy heavy (which the JW movies tried & failed hard to be).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Carnoking

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 06, 2024, 04:59:49 AM
Quote from: Carnoking on February 06, 2024, 02:13:55 AMNothing against his portfolio but it doesn't scream "Jurassic" to me.

Lot's of action films with some comedy tossed in.  His last film Fall Guy has wrapped and in Post Production, so I'm guessing he's also '"free" to start a new project.  He was a stunt man on a lot of films in the past so if we want action he's the guy to go to.

I don't necessarily want an action movie, which I feel the last three (in particular Dominion) tried so hard and failed to be.

I'm sure he could make a better action movie but thinking back to the original film, it didn't need bombastic action to be thrilling.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on February 06, 2024, 01:34:50 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 06, 2024, 04:59:49 AM

I don't necessarily want an action movie, which I feel the last three (in particular Dominion) tried so hard and failed to be.

I'm sure he could make a better action movie but thinking back to the original film, it didn't need bombastic action to be thrilling.

Same here. But I'm afraid Universal does.  They may be viewing this as another Fast an Furious franchise. Pump in some new actors and directors with a dinosaur story to keep the franchise going.  Not what I want to hear.   I'd like smaller scale, dinosaurs loose with a bit of mystery added in.

Halichoeres

Sounds like it's gonna stink. But at least it will lack the specific stench of Chris Pratt's acting.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: