News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO 2024 - Hopes and Dreams

Started by Bread, January 04, 2024, 12:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on February 05, 2024, 09:16:15 PMNow that PNSO has released the Spinosaurus I've been wanting, I hope they make smallish species.  I'm not likely to buy very space-consuming large animal figures.  Rhamphorhynchus, Herrerasaurus and dromaeosaurids are the animals I'd like the most from PNSO.

I would think that PNSO will soon release one or more of the smaller spinosauroid species. They pictured several of them in the art material that came with the Spinosaurus. There were posters of Baryonyx, Irritator, Ichthyovenator and Sinopliosaurus. As for the small dinosaurs that you mention, they would need to make them in a much smaller scale that their preferred 1:35 one. As this seems to have been established as the standard at least among companies in China, I would believe that such a change is not very unlikely. Honestly, after PNSO released so many theropods last year, it would now be just fair if they would release a few more herbivores. I do not mind some spinosauroids or some weird theropods like Gigantoraptor, but we need a break from more common theropods.

Tracewyrm!

This next one might be a bit more of a pipe dream than anything, but what if PNSO did something like their older 'Mini Dinosaurs' series but specifically for species that would fit a ~1:35 scale in that size range? A collection of medium pterosaurs and maybe some dromaeosaurs, some marine species, in their current sculpting level.

I'm sure they'd probably add a few hatchling versions of popular theropods or something to catch some attention like last time, but really, if they did a line of their minis that more or less stuck to 1:35, it'd be a good opportunity to tackle a greater variety of animals without necessarily having to hop too far out of their usual scale.

Though, again, I don't think this is something we'll be seeing any time soon. The closest we'll probably see to that is the ocassional Museum Line baby accessory.

* (It's locked.)

Sim

Quote from: thomasw100 on February 05, 2024, 09:31:20 PMI would think that PNSO will soon release one or more of the smaller spinosauroid species. They pictured several of them in the art material that came with the Spinosaurus. There were posters of Baryonyx, Irritator, Ichthyovenator and Sinopliosaurus.
Hmm, even though I like spinosaurids I hope PNSO doesn't make any more.  All the ones with decent remains have one or more good figures now.

Quote from: thomasw100 on February 05, 2024, 09:31:20 PMAs for the small dinosaurs that you mention, they would need to make them in a much smaller scale that their preferred 1:35 one. As this seems to have been established as the standard at least among companies in China, I would believe that such a change is not very unlikely.
Sometimes PNSO has made figures that aren't 1:35 scale.  Haolonggood too.  It might be unlikely, but I still hope PNSO will focus on smaller species now, even if they are made in a larger scale than 1:35 or as mini figures.  As my amount of space decreases, I have little room for large figures but I can fit small figures in gaps no problem.

Quote from: thomasw100 on February 05, 2024, 09:31:20 PMHonestly, after PNSO released so many theropods last year, it would now be just fair if they would release a few more herbivores. I do not mind some spinosauroids or some weird theropods like Gigantoraptor, but we need a break from more common theropods.
I would be happy with more ceratopsids or thyreophorans from PNSO!  I saw someone mention the possibility of a new Tuojiangosaurus somewhere on this forum previously, and I would love that!  I'm not sure there's a precedent for PNSO replacing a figure in their numbered Prehistoric animal models line though...  I think there really needs to be a break on allosauroids and tyrannosauroids, megalosauroids as well.  PNSO has been ignoring dromaeosaurids and it's frustrating for someone like me whose favourite type of animal is them.  This is, I think, what is stopping PNSO from being my favourite prehistoric animal figure company, the lack of good dromaeosaurid figures from them.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Tracewyrm! on February 05, 2024, 09:59:18 PMThis next one might be a bit more of a pipe dream than anything, but what if PNSO did something like their older 'Mini Dinosaurs' series but specifically for species that would fit a ~1:35 scale in that size range? A collection of medium pterosaurs and maybe some dromaeosaurs, some marine species, in their current sculpting level.

I'm sure they'd probably add a few hatchling versions of popular theropods or something to catch some attention like last time, but really, if they did a line of their minis that more or less stuck to 1:35, it'd be a good opportunity to tackle a greater variety of animals without necessarily having to hop too far out of their usual scale.

Though, again, I don't think this is something we'll be seeing any time soon. The closest we'll probably see to that is the ocassional Museum Line baby accessory.

God I would die of happiness if they did that.
I'm always on the hunt for more small-bodied 1:35 creatures.

Halichoeres

Yeah, a bunch of smaller animals in approximate scale with their main line would be amazing.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reuben03

Id kill for a pretty neutral posed clidastes in 1:35. i think my heart would explode. any mosasaur is good, as long as they dont fall into the typical post 2010 mosasaur cliches. PNSO mosasaurs are hit or miss for me, artwork included.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Reuben03 on February 06, 2024, 06:23:43 PMId kill for a pretty neutral posed clidastes in 1:35. i think my heart would explode. any mosasaur is good, as long as they dont fall into the typical post 2010 mosasaur cliches. PNSO mosasaurs are hit or miss for me, artwork included.
I think avatar_Perotorum @Perotorum has made many prehistoric marines, so I can expect an clidastes soon. If you have a 3d printer, then I guess youa re in luck

Reuben03

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 06, 2024, 07:07:00 PM
Quote from: Reuben03 on February 06, 2024, 06:23:43 PMId kill for a pretty neutral posed clidastes in 1:35. i think my heart would explode. any mosasaur is good, as long as they dont fall into the typical post 2010 mosasaur cliches. PNSO mosasaurs are hit or miss for me, artwork included.
I think avatar_Perotorum @Perotorum has made many prehistoric marines, so I can expect an clidastes soon. If you have a 3d printer, then I guess youa re in luck

these look cool!!! sadly I dont but i think my brother does. perhaps one day...

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Reuben03 on February 06, 2024, 07:11:49 PM

these look cool!!! sadly I dont but i think my brother does. perhaps one day...
Many libraries have them, usually. Perhaps you can check there.

Perotorum

I have yet to make a Clidastes, but I have been looking for a reason to do some animals from my home state( Alabama), and I am currently working on the Judith River Formation, with only champsosaurus,edmontonia and daspletosaurus in my schedule, so I can add a few organisms from the Mooreville and Demapolis Chalk and do the undescribed Alabama nodosaur known from fairly complete remains( along with clidastes, appalachiasaurus, eotrachodon, and several others).

Sim

Quote from: Sim on February 06, 2024, 12:14:25 AMI think there really needs to be a break on allosauroids and tyrannosauroids, megalosauroids as well.
Having said that, I have to say that I would be interested in a Neovenator from PNSO!  A feathered Concavenator would also be interesting, although I don't mind if PNSO doesn't make it.

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on February 08, 2024, 10:24:10 PM
Quote from: Sim on February 06, 2024, 12:14:25 AMI think there really needs to be a break on allosauroids and tyrannosauroids, megalosauroids as well.
Having said that, I have to say that I would be interested in a Neovenator from PNSO!  A feathered Concavenator would also be interesting, although I don't mind if PNSO doesn't make it.

A nice new approach for future releases (this could apply to Haolonggood as well) would be to release a bundle (like 4 to 6) of species from one Formation or locality. This could then be a mix of carnivore theropods and herbivores from different groups. So collectors of different groups would get something but at the same time there would be a common theme to these few releases.

Halichoeres

Quote from: thomasw100 on February 08, 2024, 10:43:17 PMA nice new approach for future releases (this could apply to Haolonggood as well) would be to release a bundle (like 4 to 6) of species from one Formation or locality. This could then be a mix of carnivore theropods and herbivores from different groups. So collectors of different groups would get something but at the same time there would be a common theme to these few releases.

Yeah, that would be great. Essentially like the Toobs Safari used to make, but with the paintwork and premium presentation of PNSO. They would cost more but they would be worth it in my opinion.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

I like that idea!  I think it would be better than a series of closely related animals one after the other.  The formations I hope PNSO would focus on if they did that are:

1. Djadochta Formation.  PNSO has already got Pinacosaurus, I'm keen on a Velociraptor and Saurornithoides being made too!  Protoceratops and various oviraptorids (e.g. Khaan, Citipati and the 100/42 oviraptorid) could be made too.

2. Solnhofen Limestone.  This formation is full of pterosaurs, many different kinds could be made e.g. Anurognathus, Pterodactylus, Ctenochasma, Scaphognathus, and the one I would like very much, Rhamphorhynchus.  Compsognathus and Archaeopteryx are from here too, although I have figures of them I'm satisfied with.  From this formation PNSO already has Dakosaurus and of course a mini Archaeopteryx.

3. Yixian Formation.  PNSO has already got Yutyrannus from here, as well as minis of Liaoceratops, Mei and Confuciusornis.  It would be great to have a Zhenyuanlong, Sinornithosaurus and Dilong too.  There are LOTS of interesting dinosaurs in this ecosystem in addition to the species I've already mentioned.  Lots of troodontids and avialans, Caudipteryx, Beipiaosaurus, Psittacosaurus, Sinocalliopteryx, Liaoningosaurus...

4. Wessex Formation.  The main draw of this formation for me is Neovenator, a species I'd like a new (PNSO?) version of which will replace my version by Favorite.  I would like to replace its companion figure that I have, the Favorite Baryonyx, with Haolonggood's Baryonyx and I would like to replace it at the same time as the Neovenator.
PNSO has Iguanodon from this formation, and I would be interested in figures of Brighstoneus, Mantellisaurus and Polacanthus as I'm not satisfied with CollectA's.  Hypsilophodon is also from this formation, as are Eotyrannus, Ceratosuchops, Riparovenator and Istiodactylus.  Figures of the theropods would interest me, I have to admit, although it's Neovenator I would like most of all.

5. Ischigualasto Formation.  I would very much like good figures of Herrerasaurus and Eoraptor.

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim I would like some of those species too! Like Zhenyuanlong, Rhamphorhynchus, Herrerasaurus and Eoraptor. And maybe a Dilong, and a Beipiaosaurus to replace the outdated Carnegie too.

When allosauroids are concerned, I would be fine if they make an Asfaltovenator (and maybe a feathered Concavenator too) and then forget about the group. Worth mentioning they have made several pointless allosauroids already (like Saurophaganax and Mapusaurus), and apparently they have plans for making a Tyrannotitan at some point too (Paleofiguras told me about it).

Asfaltovenator is the only allosauroid (with good remains) left to receive a good figure, and I hope the fact that they seemingly want to tackle even the most fragmentary carcharodontosaur don't reduce the possibilities for the more important and complete Asfaltovenator getting made. It may be the oldest allosauroid and was noted for its unusual character combination (from Allosauroidea, Megalosauroidea, and, more generally, tetanurans), and it's also among the most complete primitive tetanurans (Rauhut & Pol 2019). Certainly a bit more relevant than big scrappy carcharodontosaurid #4!

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on February 09, 2024, 04:11:49 PMavatar_Sim @Sim I would like some of those species too! Like Zhenyuanlong, Rhamphorhynchus, Herrerasaurus and Eoraptor. And maybe a Dilong, and a Beipiaosaurus to replace the outdated Carnegie too.
Currently in my collection I have the Safari toob Dilong, but I've grown tired of it being all yellow except for the eyes and I'd like a better figure of it.  Beipiaosaurus I also have the Safari toob version of, but I'm happy with that one.  I would most likely be interested in a PNSO Beipiaosaurus though.

Quote from: Concavenator on February 09, 2024, 04:11:49 PMand apparently they have plans for making a Tyrannotitan at some point too (Paleofiguras told me about it).
Oh no! Nooooooooo! :(

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I really wouldn't mind the tyranno for one reason: lipped carcharodontosaur.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on February 09, 2024, 05:20:40 PMCurrently in my collection I have the Safari toob Dilong, but I've grown tired of it being all yellow except for the eyes and I'd like a better figure of it.  Beipiaosaurus I also have the Safari toob version of, but I'm happy with that one.  I would most likely be interested in a PNSO Beipiaosaurus though.

Yeah, PNSO versions of either would most likely be nicer than those Safari toob versions.  :P 
Although now that I think about it, I'd rather get a 1:18 BotM Dilong, as it would surely be smaller than a potential version by PNSO. However, I'm not a big fan of its color scheme; a new one would be appreciated.

Quote from: Sim on February 09, 2024, 05:20:40 PMOh no! Nooooooooo! :(

That was my reaction too.

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on February 09, 2024, 07:52:10 PMI really wouldn't mind the tyranno for one reason: lipped carcharodontosaur.

We already have lipped carcharodontosaur at home (Haolonggood Carcharodontosaurus).

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Hlg's carch really just doesn't have a great sculpt imo, in terms of base anatomy and detail. Not to mention the seal is subpar at best.

Sim

I too am not fond of the BotM Dilong's colour scheme and would like a new one for a 1:18 version of it.  Maybe when the fan's choice stage comes along for the BotM tyrannosaur series Dilong will get a new colour scheme.

As for a lipped carcharodontosaurid, wouldn't Concavenator or Neovenator be better choices for one than Tyrannotitan?  They are more unique, while Tyrannotitan is externally indistinguishable from Giganotosaurus, Meraxes and Mapusaurus which PNSO has already made models of and these last four all come from the same part of the world too.
Maybe PNSO will make Tyrannotitan due to wanting a lipped carcharodontosaurid and not feeling confident in remaking Giganotosaurus, Mapusaurus or Meraxes with lips, but it seems absurd to me to make figures these four nearly indentical animals and to do so before other meat-eating dinosaurs PNSO has been neglecting.
PNSO thinking of making Tyrannotitan makes me want to get rid of my PNSO Mapusaurus and Zhuchengtyrannus as it seems like buying those fragmentary species makes PNSO more likely to make more like them.  I hadn't thought of it when I bought them, it didn't occur to me that PNSO would really make Tyrannotitan too.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: