News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Toy Blog changes

Started by DinoToyForum, April 12, 2012, 01:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crackington

That looks really good Dr Admin - I liked being able to click on the images to get to the reviews. I'd use it.

Faelrin

No I like this. Will save time for folks wanting to read a review of a particular figure or animal without needing to scroll for it or do a search. All the same you keep the option to browse to which is good in case one wants to do that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

marisaura

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 07, 2024, 07:06:37 PMI'm experimenting with a Quick Links section, which I'm considering adding to the top of each category page. The idea is that it will provide a simple overview of all the reviews in that category with a small thumbnail for each. I could add the review title as well but it starts to get messy and takes up a lot of space doing that. Here's what it would look like for the AAA Brand category:
https://dinotoyblog.com/category/aaa/

What do you think, would this be useful if I rolled it out across the blog, or is it a waste of time?

i think this is a great idea - scrolling through reviews for some of the more prolific brands can especially be a hassle.

Fembrogon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 07, 2024, 07:06:37 PMI'm experimenting with a Quick Links section, which I'm considering adding to the top of each category page. The idea is that it will provide a simple overview of all the reviews in that category with a small thumbnail for each. I could add the review title as well but it starts to get messy and takes up a lot of space doing that. Here's what it would look like for the AAA Brand category:
https://dinotoyblog.com/category/aaa/

What do you think, would this be useful if I rolled it out across the blog, or is it a waste of time?
I love the quick links; I've seen them set up on a couple of other categories before and it's both attractive and convenient, a thorough preview of everything ahead of the viewer to browse through. Obviously the links will look intimidating for the largest categories, but it's not like the viewer doesn't have pages and pages of results to peruse anyway.
I'm fully on board.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Thanks for all the resoundingly positive feedback. I'll roll this out to other brands then.

Ideally, I'd also like to have quick links for the Genus sections too (I'm not sure about the Classification, Age, or Type sections), but the plugin I'm using doesn't allow that. So, I need to find a similar plugin that works for all taxonomies or work out how to code that myself.

Gwangi

I like it too. And it makes sense. Now users won't have to scroll through pages of reviews to see everything that's there. Speaking of which, what I don't like are the new ads spaced out between reviews. When scrolling through a list of reviews there's an ad after every 2-4 reviews. It's obnoxious!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on February 08, 2024, 02:30:20 PMI like it too. And it makes sense. Now users won't have to scroll through pages of reviews to see everything that's there. Speaking of which, what I don't like are the new ads spaced out between reviews. When scrolling through a list of reviews there's an ad after every 2-4 reviews. It's obnoxious!

Thanks, and I'll go about removing those ads between reviews.

Gwangi

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 08, 2024, 02:42:49 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on February 08, 2024, 02:30:20 PMI like it too. And it makes sense. Now users won't have to scroll through pages of reviews to see everything that's there. Speaking of which, what I don't like are the new ads spaced out between reviews. When scrolling through a list of reviews there's an ad after every 2-4 reviews. It's obnoxious!

Thanks, they're on the ATB too. I only just started noticing them over the last couple days.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 08, 2024, 11:20:01 AMThanks for all the resoundingly positive feedback. I'll roll this out to other brands then.

Ideally, I'd also like to have quick links for the Genus sections too (I'm not sure about the Classification, Age, or Type sections), but the plugin I'm using doesn't allow that. So, I need to find a similar plugin that works for all taxonomies or work out how to code that myself.

I was able to find a different plugin that does the same thing for both categories (Brand) and tags (Genus), so I'm starting to add quicklinks to genus pages, too.

e.g. https://dinotoyblog.com/tag/acrocanthosaurus/

We don't need this for every Brand and Genus so I'll have to decide the threshold, maybe those with a minimum of five reviews.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on February 08, 2024, 03:53:30 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 08, 2024, 02:42:49 PM

Thanks, they're on the ATB too. I only just started noticing them over the last couple days.

I've been experimenting with Adsense and new ad positions. But because the ads are responsive and don't always appear, it's difficult for me to judge how disruptive they are. So I appreciate the feedback. I've also noticed some of the new ads appear much too big, so I'm trying to fix that too.

DinoToyForum

The Quick links can also provide a helpful visual overview of an entire line, for brands where all of the toys have been reviewed. e.g. Invicta (minus the blue whale which is on the Animal Toy Blog now), here's a screenshot:

Gwangi

Should announcements really be included under the brand tag? I was just looking through the Haolonggood reviews and all of those announcements really add a lot of clutter when you're just trying to find reviews.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on February 10, 2024, 01:53:55 PMShould announcements really be included under the brand tag? I was just looking through the Haolonggood reviews and all of those announcements really add a lot of clutter when you're just trying to find reviews.

I think @suspy and I discussed this at some point and we decided to keep the Brand tags on the announcements. But we could reconsider.

DinoToyForum

This is also relevant to the 'Quick links' I'm working on, which is becoming a bit tricky for certain categories with lots of entries. For example, there are 249 posts tagged 'Collecta'. That's too many to have all the thumbnails on one page. I tried that and it becomes a giant wall of images (extremely so on mobile where there is only space for three thumbnails in each row). It also takes ages to load. So, I'm trying to divide the large categories into pages of quick links. I'm testing it out on the CollectA page so please take a look and let me know if you have any feedback: https://dinotoyblog.com/category/collecta/

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I quite like this setup!

Gwangi

bmathison1972

I like it, too. Planning on doing something similar at ye old ATB? :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 14, 2024, 09:56:45 PMI like it, too. Planning on doing something similar at ye old ATB? :)

Probably, for certain 'brands' and 'classifications', but most 'name(s)' have only one or two reviews so there's no need there - there's a much greater species diversity on the ATB compared to the DTB.

I think I'll make the threshold 10 and see how that goes.

DinoToyForum

I've added quick links to all the brand pages with >10 reviews. Please browse through them to check if I've made any mistakes.

Next time I'll do the genus pages.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: