News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blade-of-the-Moon's Art

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triceratops83

We should start a thread of "So bad it's good" Dinosaur movies. Another classic part is where master tracker Bunta is searching for this massive noisy beast, looks up and yep, there it is. TWICE this happens.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 19, 2024, 04:41:32 AMMy favourite part of the movie is when Thrust's gun jams - so he THROWS IT AWAY!!! And spends the rest of the movie having to come up with new weapons!

I mean it wasn't going to work against something the size of the Godzilla-Rex anyway lol His crossbow was actually a good idea for the game they were hunting. Easily reloadable. He just needed to accept that the tyrannosaur was a force of nature that could not defeated anymore than a storm and just stay out of it's way. I like this movie far more than  I should probably ;)  I think it helped it's a Rankin/Bass production, I was first introduced to Boone's vocals in The Hobbit. Beautiful animation and voice work.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 19, 2024, 06:19:08 AMWe should start a thread of "So bad it's good" Dinosaur movies. Another classic part is where master tracker Bunta is searching for this massive noisy beast, looks up and yep, there it is. TWICE this happens.

That tyranosaur had millions of years to learn how to sneak around when it wants too lol Just like when it get's the poor Dr. Kawamoto.  ;D

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 19, 2024, 06:31:47 AMThat tyranosaur had millions of years to learn how to sneak around when it wants too lol Just like when it get's the poor Dr. Kawamoto.  ;D

Ha! I guess you can be pretty quiet in big rubber feet.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Majungasaurus armed..tiny but he IS armed lol

Anguirus by Dopepope painted by me.

DinoToyForum

The Majungasaurus is looking great.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 23, 2024, 11:43:11 AMThe Majungasaurus is looking great.

Thanks!

He's pretty long and heavy so I have to figure out moving him lol

The support in his chest is definitely needed, I will do my best to disguise it as a tree of some sort.

triceratops83

It's hard to make out the arms on your Majungasaurus, but once you see them you can't unsee them.

Anguirus is my favourite non-Godzilla character. I forget which film it was but I always got a kick out of Anguirus and Godzilla being subtitled as they growl-talked to one another.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 23, 2024, 11:48:49 PMIt's hard to make out the arms on your Majungasaurus, but once you see them you can't unsee them.

Anguirus is my favourite non-Godzilla character. I forget which film it was but I always got a kick out of Anguirus and Godzilla being subtitled as they growl-talked to one another.

lol I should have taken the pic during the day. There will be more :)

Godzilla VS Gigan, it's even dubbed though a little hard to understand. Basically Godzilla order Anguirus/Angilas to go see what the trouble is based on the recording tape calling them. He goes, finds nothing but people shooting at him and goes back and gets Godzilla and they return to Japan..again.  ;D   Poor guy got a lot of travel in on one day.

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 24, 2024, 02:43:53 AMGodzilla VS Gigan, it's even dubbed though a little hard to understand. Basically Godzilla order Anguirus/Angilas to go see what the trouble is based on the recording tape calling them. He goes, finds nothing but people shooting at him and goes back and gets Godzilla and they return to Japan..again.  ;D   Poor guy got a lot of travel in on one day.

And he doesn't look like the best swimmer, either.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 24, 2024, 09:14:22 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 24, 2024, 02:43:53 AMGodzilla VS Gigan, it's even dubbed though a little hard to understand. Basically Godzilla order Anguirus/Angilas to go see what the trouble is based on the recording tape calling them. He goes, finds nothing but people shooting at him and goes back and gets Godzilla and they return to Japan..again.  ;D   Poor guy got a lot of travel in on one day.

And he doesn't look like the best swimmer, either.

I guess he mastered the " dog paddle" lol maybe he walks on the bottom like Godzilla? ;)

I have real respect for those suit actors there was a real chance of dying in them especially in the water.

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 24, 2024, 05:14:04 PMI guess he mastered the " dog paddle" lol maybe he walks on the bottom like Godzilla? ;)

I have real respect for those suit actors there was a real chance of dying in them especially in the water.

Yeah, just moving around or staying upright would be difficult once those foam rubber suits soaked up water.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 24, 2024, 09:56:39 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 24, 2024, 05:14:04 PMI guess he mastered the " dog paddle" lol maybe he walks on the bottom like Godzilla? ;)

Yeah, just moving around or staying upright would be difficult once those foam rubber suits soaked up water.

I read how they needed a team to make sure if they fell over they got them out quick. I also saw where the pool is full of bacteria and it was said some guys actually peed in it.   It's not much better when you get on land with the burns and twisted ankles, ect..but at least you don't suffocate.  I think the later suits like G2000 were made lighter and a lot easier to move in.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Sketching out a new project.

DinoToyForum

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 29, 2024, 12:38:26 PMOooooh. Libonectes?

I..don't even know that species.  ( hangs head in shame)

I'm working off what I can find for Elasmosaurus. Maybe some Thalassomedon in there from my childhood. Not sure on the tail yet, I did the paddle on it, then saw a different reconstruction with the smaller fin on top the tail tip.  The skull I've redrawn a few times, it looks wide to me in some images and then more narrow. I did get 8" wide for the back of the skull so worked the rest of the silhouettes off that.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 29, 2024, 03:17:54 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 29, 2024, 12:38:26 PMOooooh. Libonectes?

I..don't even know that species.  ( hangs head in shame)

I'm working off what I can find for Elasmosaurus. Maybe some Thalassomedon in there from my childhood. Not sure on the tail yet, I did the paddle on it, then saw a different reconstruction with the smaller fin on top the tail tip.  The skull I've redrawn a few times, it looks wide to me in some images and then more narrow. I did get 8" wide for the back of the skull so worked the rest of the silhouettes off that.

What skull reference are you using? Because it sure looks like Libonectes to me! Here's the skull of Libonectes:

Edit: I scanned and uploaded this skull image for my Libonectes page. But I just noticed that a Google search for "Elasmosaurus" brings up a website that uses this exact same skull image, which they've taken without permission from my Libonectes page and wrongly called it Elasmosaurus.

DinoToyForum

You won't find much useful information on Elasmosaurus itself, it's poorly known from a single incomplete specimen. Replicas of Elasmosaurus are mostly reconstructed, see for example the Triebold replica: https://plesiosauria.com/the-university-of-british-columbias-new-elasmosaurus/

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 29, 2024, 03:58:33 PMYou won't find much useful information on Elasmosaurus itself, it's poorly known from a single incomplete specimen. Replicas of Elasmosaurus are mostly reconstructed, see for example the Triebold replica: https://plesiosauria.com/the-university-of-british-columbias-new-elasmosaurus/

That would be where I found the skull image..as you said  I couldn't find much. So I used it and these references from Brantworks : https://brantworks.com/elasmosaurus-skeleton.php

I think other artists have done the same as well.

Mostly I wanted name recognition and it's a little easier on the tongue.  Is there anything and I know thats a really broad ask, that would differentiate Elasmosaurus from Libonectes ? Or prevent me from using one and calling it the other?  I've not looked into Thalassomedon either yet but I seemed to recall it's skull was more rounded and less elongated?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 29, 2024, 09:17:30 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 29, 2024, 03:58:33 PMYou won't find much useful information on Elasmosaurus itself, it's poorly known from a single incomplete specimen. Replicas of Elasmosaurus are mostly reconstructed, see for example the Triebold replica: https://plesiosauria.com/the-university-of-british-columbias-new-elasmosaurus/

That would be where I found the skull image..as you said  I couldn't find much. So I used it and these references from Brantworks : https://brantworks.com/elasmosaurus-skeleton.php

I think other artists have done the same as well.

Mostly I wanted name recognition and it's a little easier on the tongue.  Is there anything and I know thats a really broad ask, that would differentiate Elasmosaurus from Libonectes ? Or prevent me from using one and calling it the other?  I've not looked into Thalassomedon either yet but I seemed to recall it's skull was more rounded and less elongated?

Well since we don't really know what Elasmosaurus looked like it's difficult to make meaningful comparisons. The holotype of Elasmosaurus is essentially now just a string of vertebrae and a teeny bit of the tip of the snout. One difference is the number of vertebrae and length of the neck, Elasmosaurus is longer. If you're set on depicting Elasmosaurus then you'll have to fill in the gaps with other elasmosaurs, in which case, pick species closely related to Elasmosaurus. But even that isn't so simple as some family trees resolve Elasmosaurus and Libonectes in a close relationship, while others don't!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: