News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What Prehistoric Time and Place would you like to visit?

Started by triceratops83, March 08, 2024, 02:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triceratops83

If you could time travel, what period, location or geological formation would you most like to visit?

I'd like to go to the Oxford Clay formation, in the middle to late Jurassic of England. I like beaches and it'd be cool to hang around with stegosaurs and ornithopods. Just have to watch out for mid sized megalosaurs. Swimming with plesiosaurs and ichthyosaurs would be cool, just might be a bit iffy with pliosaurs and metriorhynchids. But I think it would be quite tranquil.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

marisaura

triceratops83

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Pliosaurking

Honestly probably Hell Creek, although the Oxford clays sounds good as well.

triceratops83

Quote from: Pliosaurking on March 08, 2024, 03:05:58 AMHonestly probably Hell Creek, although the Oxford clays sounds good as well.

Hell yeah, Hell Creek! That would have to be a top destination for a prehistoric travel agency. Morrison Formation a close second I imagine.

Libraraptor

crazy8wizard

Quote from: triceratops83 on March 08, 2024, 02:28:47 AMIf you could time travel, what period, location or geological formation would you most like to visit?
...Swimming with plesiosaurs and ichthyosaurs would be cool, just might be a bit iffy with pliosaurs and metriorhynchids. But I think it would be quite tranquil.
Fun Fact: if you went back in time to the Sundance Formation in Jurassic North America to about the late Oxfordian ~158 MYA, the seaway would be just shallow enough to comply with US scuba diving regulation limits. You could scuba dive with ophthalmosaurs!

Torvosaurus

The Brule Formation in the Oligocene, in eastern Wyoming, Nebraska and Colorado. I'd want to see if the bathornithids (namely Paracrax gigantea) were actually North America's terror birds, not to mention nimravids, hyeanodons, oreodonts, camelids and rhinoceratids. Plus there'd be Archaeotheriums, so how cool would that be?

Second choice would be the late Miocene, in the same areas. The savannahs would have an array of animals that would rival the savannahs of Africa.

Torvo

DinoFan2010

Definitely the Gobi Desert. Imagine catching a glimpse at something like a Tarbosaurus or Deinocheirus!  :)

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

andrewsaurus rex

Well, my short answer is all of them, but if I had to pick just one it would be late Cretaceous Laramidia so I could see a live T. rex.  I know it's cliché, but T. rex is still my number one favourite dinosaur.

Halichoeres

A Carboniferous coal swamp. Imagine, all those fascinating bugs and not a single one interested in biting a human.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 08, 2024, 05:56:40 PMA Carboniferous coal swamp. Imagine, all those fascinating bugs and not a single one interested in biting a human.

Yeah, but the amphibians might!

Stegotyranno420

Morrision Formation.
Sure I will die in 2 hours gojng there, but to see a herd of megasauropods would be near-divine

Concavenator

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 08, 2024, 11:59:57 PMMorrision Formation.
Sure I will die in 2 hours gojng there, but to see a herd of megasauropods would be near-divine

Same. That way I could meet an Allosaurus in real life and greet it, though the animal would likely finish me off in exchange. 💀

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Concavenator on March 09, 2024, 12:50:14 AM

Same. That way I could meet an Allosaurus in real life and greet it, though the animal would likely finish me off in exchange. 💀

What if those dinosaurs do not care about eating us though. What if thye just ignore us because we are not a good snack. 🤣

Concavenator

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 09, 2024, 12:54:58 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on March 09, 2024, 12:50:14 AM

What if those dinosaurs do not care about eating us though. What if thye just ignore us because we are not a good snack. 🤣

But they would need to have a reference first!

triceratops83

The Morrison Formation would be beautiful, but the high number of different predators would be a bit off putting. It would be neat though to see how such a high number of diverse Sauropods and Theropods coexisted alongside each other.

Gwangi

This is always one of those impossible questions. I love the Triassic and would really like to check out the Chinle Formation. You have the benefit of seeing a lot of weird stuff unlike anything alive today as well as dinosaurs just getting their start. On the other hand, I want to see some of the largest animals to have ever existed on land, and would probably visit the Morrison Formation. Then there is also a temptation to go someplace for which we don't have a good fossil record. Like the Appalachia landmass during the Cretaceous. Then you're seeing things we don't even have bones for! Imagine the things we don't even know about! But if I had the chance to do any fishing while I was there then I wouldn't mind checking out the Devonian.

triceratops83

Quote from: Gwangi on March 09, 2024, 02:50:43 AMBut if I had the chance to do any fishing while I was there then I wouldn't mind checking out the Devonian.

I like that - fishing in The Age of Fishes!

Stegotyranno420

Gwangi has a great idea honestly. It would be best to find out what we don't or can't know.
Another place I would love to go is Cretaceous Egypt, meet my favorite theropod(s)
Not sure if it counts, but visiting the Mammoth steppe of Eastern Europe to meet my own distant ancestors would be cool. I would be most interested in the culture and language though .

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: