News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What Prehistoric Time and Place would you like to visit?

Started by triceratops83, March 08, 2024, 02:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papi-Anon

Assuming we don't have any risk of time paradoxes (grandfather, bootstrap, sound-of-thunder scenarios, etc), introducing modern-day diseases that could wipe out populations, or catching some ancient disease that would run amok in the present-day once we return (the last one is likely to happen anyways thanks to permafrost slowly de-permafrosting)...

...it's a 3-way tie for Late-Jurassic Morrison (specifically I would love more than anything to get some live pics and videos of Big Al in his/her prime years), Pleistocene Europe, Africa, and Asia (preferably when there was peak diversity of different species of our genus to see how they all compared to us in every way, or at least to spend a sabbatical with some Neanderthals), and really a world-tour of the middle-Eocene (specifically 42-40mya) just to see all the various early mammalian megafauna setting the molds of shapes yet to come (basilosaurid whale-watching out at sea would be a fun trip in itself).
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Stegotyranno420

This has probably become my favorite thread on the forum. So many interesting and thought provokinv perspectives.

Torvosaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on March 09, 2024, 02:50:43 AMThis is always one of those impossible questions. I love the Triassic and would really like to check out the Chinle Formation. You have the benefit of seeing a lot of weird stuff unlike anything alive today as well as dinosaurs just getting their start...

Oh, I forgot about the Chinle Formation.

In general, regardless of where you want to go, you're going to see creatures that we don't have the slightest idea about. The fossil record isn't complete enough, and that could be the best part of the entire trip.

Torvo

Newt

This is a fun topic! I couldn't narrow it down to just one, so I picked one from each of the last three eras.

I'd like to venture into Romer's Gap, the poorly-known part of the early Mississippian that separates the latest Devonian ur-tetrapods such as Acanthostega and Ichthyostega from the diverse coal-swamp tetrapod faunas of the later Carboniferous. So little is known from this period it's difficult to select a place; Blue Beach in Nova Scotia is as good as any.

I would also love to see the great chain of rift lakes that formed the late Triassic Chatham Group in eastern North America, along a line from the Maritimes to the Carolinas. Tremendous diversity of plants and insects, aetosaurs, poposaurs, bipedal crocodylomorphs, proto-mammals, parareptiles, rhynchosaurs AND rhynchocephalians, dinosauromorphs, phytosaurs, dicynodonts, kuhneosaurs, metoposaurs, drepanosaurs, allokotosaurs, cute miniature tanystropheids, lungfishes and coelacanths galore - the splendor of the Late Triassic on full display. Plus lakes. I like lakes.

My final selection is the proto-Amazonian mega-wetlands of Miocene South America, the home of rodents of unusual size, toxodonts, the hilariously large side-necked turtle Stupendemys, and an incredible array of crocodilians, from tiny snail-eating caimans to the famous Tyrannosaurus-sized caiman Purussuchus, the less famous but equally tremendous gharial Gryposuchus, duck-billed Mourasuchus, and many others, as well as the precursors of the fabulous modern Amazonian fish fauna.   

thomasw100

I would actually like to visit any place far enough removed from the Chicxulub impact site 1 year before the impact and then 1 year after the impact to really see with my own eye what exactly happened.

Halichoeres

Quote from: triceratops83 on March 08, 2024, 11:09:53 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 08, 2024, 05:56:40 PMA Carboniferous coal swamp. Imagine, all those fascinating bugs and not a single one interested in biting a human.

Yeah, but the amphibians might!

Ha! Wait till they see how good primates are at climbing trees.

I gotta say I'm liking Gwangi's idea of going somewhere where we have very few fossils. Deep sea beds are often destroyed by subduction...can I take a submersible with me?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 10, 2024, 12:05:31 AMHa! Wait till they see how good primates are at climbing trees.

I gotta say I'm liking Gwangi's idea of going somewhere where we have very few fossils. Deep sea beds are often destroyed by subduction...can I take a submersible with me?

The Time Travel agency offers various packages, including a submersible tour.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Ikessauro

Nowadays I have a feeling that if given a time machine the first time range I'd pick would be mid to late Jurassic of South America, specifically my country, Brazil. We have almost no fossil bearing rocks from the Jurassic exposed here, so the whole Jurassic fauna and flora is a huge mistery. Recently people found an outcrop of Jurassic sedimentary rocks here, from which a few scraps of bone have been dug and one of those has been tentatively described as a Dilophosauroid of some sort, base on a single or a couple of vertebras, if I can recall. I think it is possible that we had a vast fauna of diplodocoid dinosaurs, even stegosaurs around these parts, since these have been found in Africa and a few relatives in Argentina. If that single isolated stegosaur bone found in Argentina is truly a stegosaur, is is quite logical to assume we had those around here, like we had ankylosaurs, as recently evidenced by Stegosauros from Chile. If South American dinosaurs took a weird turn in evolution in the Cretaceous, with Abelisaurs and Ankylosaurs, just imagine what other weird unusual creatures must have roamed these parts that we don't know about. We could have had weird endemic branches of stegosaurids from around here, weird ornithopods, theropods and so much more.

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 10, 2024, 12:05:31 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 08, 2024, 05:56:40 PMA Carboniferous coal swamp. Imagine, all those fascinating bugs and not a single one interested in biting a human.

There ya go! Who knows what lived in the prehistoric deep ocean, or open ocean for that matter.

BlueKrono

Irdin Manha Formation of Inner Mongolia, 40 million years ago. I don't care if I get eaten, I want to see what an Andrewsarchus actually looked like.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

andrewsaurus rex

it's an interesting question whether dinosaurs would be interested in eating humans or not.  They wouldn't recognize us as prey and most predators have preferred food sources, although some will take a bite out of pretty much anything  they can.  Maybe don't run, don't act scared and they may not think you're prey?   Would take nerves of steel, though.

As for prehistoric bugs not biting.......well they may not at first but if one or two give it a try you may just become a feast.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on March 10, 2024, 12:57:25 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 10, 2024, 12:05:31 AM

There ya go! Who knows what lived in the prehistoric deep ocean, or open ocean for that matter.

Yup. A surprising number of deep sea animals are from quite recent lineages, so something else was doing those jobs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Stegotyranno420

The prehistoric seas (for somereason, specifically those before the Jurassic, I do not understand why) always gives me such a primeval sense of fascination.
Fascination is the best I can describe it as, it is a feeling I don't know how to translate.

I also heard many jungle environments have a bad fossil record (proportionally than expected) due to the conditions of fossilization being more rare in those environments(e.g. rapid scavenging and decomposition). Is this true?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 11, 2024, 10:35:40 PMI also heard many jungle environments have a bad fossil record (proportionally than expected) due to the conditions of fossilization being more rare in those environments(e.g. rapid scavenging and decomposition). Is this true?

Yeah, dead stuff gets reused in a hurry. Rainforests also have really acidic soils, which dissolve skeletons when wet...which is often! So yeah, rainforests would give you a great opportunity to see something totally wild.

Crackington

I'd like to time travel to the Wealden formation on the Isle of Wight, specifically Yaverland Beach near Sandown.

We were very lucky a while back to see some sauropod footprints in the rocks of the beach on a fossil tour. The sand which usually covered the rocks had been blown away in a recent storm and this meant we could follow the huge footprints for a while down the beach.

It occurred to me that wouldn't it be great to actually see them being made by the giant sauropods, travelling through time to that exact moment.

We might also catch sight of hypsilophodons, Mantellisaurus, Polacanthus and Neovenator (from a safe distance of course!).

An amazing place (and time) in the early Cretaceous.

Over9K

Quote from: Gwangi on March 10, 2024, 12:57:25 AMThere ya go! Who knows what lived in the prehistoric deep ocean, or open ocean for that matter.

Well, who really knows what's living there now? We know more about the surface of a couple neighboring planets than we know about the wet 70% of our own.

For me, and I know it's the boring/obvious answer, but... If I can only see one time, and one place, it HAS to be Late Cretaceous, Hell Creek.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.