You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Top 10 stegosaurs toys [Poll open]

Started by DinoToyForum, December 27, 2019, 10:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for your top 10 stegosaur toys of all time

Battat Dacentrurus
Bullyland Stegosaurus (2007)
Carnage Stegosaurus by ReSaurus
Carnegie Miragaia
CollectA Dacentrurus (Deluxe)
CollectA Gigantspinosaurus
CollectA Stegosaurus corpse
Favorite soft model series 1 Stegosaurus
Invicta Stegosaurus
Kaiyodo Huayangosaurus
Kaiyodo, Dinotale, Capsule Q series 6 Stegosaurus
Kaiyodo, Dinotale, Jurassic Park III Stegosaurus
Kenner, The Lost World, Stegosaurus
Mattel, Jurassic World, Stegosaurus
Papo Stegosaurus
PNSO, Age of Dinosaurs, No.07 Chungkingosaurus
PNSO, Dinosaurs Museum, Chungkingosaurus (with Yangchuanosaurus diorama)
PNSO, Huayangosaurus mini (China Post Figures)
PNSO, Kentrosaurus
PNSO, mini No.009 Miragaia
PNSO, Prehistoric Animal Models, No.14 Stegosaurus (Bieber)
PNSO, Age of the Dinosaurs (mini), Tuojiangosaurus (Rahba)
PNSO Wuerhosaurus
Rebor Stegosaurus (Garden)
Schleich Kentrosaurus (2015)
Schleich Kentrosaurus (2017)
Schleich, Conquering the Earth, Stegosaurus (2016)
Schleich, mini figure, Stegosaurus (2015)
Sega "Microsaurs" Kentrosaurus
Tyco Kentrosaurus
Tyco Stegosaurus
Vitae Wuerhosaurus
Wild Safari Kentrosaurus
Wild Safari Stegosaurus (2008)
Wild Safari Stegosaurus (2019)
CollectA, Age of Dinosaurs, Kentrosaurus
Haolonggood Dacentrurus
Haolonggood Wuerhosaurus
Mattel, 2022, Legacy Collection, Dr. Sarah Harding & Stegosaurus Pack (adult and baby Stegosaurus)
Mattel, 2021, Dino Escape, Kentrosaurus (Roar Attack)
Mattel, 2023, Dino Trackers Gigantspinosaurus (Strike Attack)
PNSO, Prehistoric Animal Models, Miragaia (Rosana)
PNSO, Dinosaurs Museum, Stegosaurus (Biber & Rook)
PNSO, Prehistoric Animal Models, Tuojiangosaurus (Qichuan)

thomasw100

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 08, 2024, 04:54:22 PM
Quote from: Sim on March 08, 2024, 04:41:03 PMavatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum, the Stegosaurus you linked to is the Dinosaurs museum PNSO Stegosaurus.  The PNSO Stegosaurus that is option 21 is this one: https://dinotoyblog.com/stegosaurus-pnso/

I can't help with the Mattel figures as I don't know much about them, but I'm sure avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin can.  For the rest of the list here are the full names of the figures to add to the poll:

CollectA Age of dinosaurs popular Kentrosaurus
Haolonggood Dacentrurus
Haolonggood Wuerhosaurus
PNSO Prehistoric animal models Miragaia (Rosana)
PNSO Dinosaurs museum Stegosaurus (Biber & Rook)
PNSO Prehistoric animal models Tuojiangosaurus (Qichuan)

There is a mini Kentrosaurus by CollectA as well, so to differentiate it I've given the larger figure's full "name".  Option 22 is indeed PNSO Age of the dinosaurs Tuojiangosaurus Rahba (mini).

Thank you! So, there is a PNSO Stegosaurus called Biber and a completely different one called Bieber. What have we done to be punished so.

I have edited the DinoToyBlog review titles to reflect this, and added the 'lines' to the titles as well.

The second Bieber is a reissue in the museum line and it came with a baby stegosaur.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: thomasw100 on March 09, 2024, 07:23:47 AM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 08, 2024, 04:54:22 PM
Quote from: Sim on March 08, 2024, 04:41:03 PMavatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum, the Stegosaurus you linked to is the Dinosaurs museum PNSO Stegosaurus.  The PNSO Stegosaurus that is option 21 is this one: https://dinotoyblog.com/stegosaurus-pnso/

I can't help with the Mattel figures as I don't know much about them, but I'm sure avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin can.  For the rest of the list here are the full names of the figures to add to the poll:

CollectA Age of dinosaurs popular Kentrosaurus
Haolonggood Dacentrurus
Haolonggood Wuerhosaurus
PNSO Prehistoric animal models Miragaia (Rosana)
PNSO Dinosaurs museum Stegosaurus (Biber & Rook)
PNSO Prehistoric animal models Tuojiangosaurus (Qichuan)

There is a mini Kentrosaurus by CollectA as well, so to differentiate it I've given the larger figure's full "name".  Option 22 is indeed PNSO Age of the dinosaurs Tuojiangosaurus Rahba (mini).

Thank you! So, there is a PNSO Stegosaurus called Biber and a completely different one called Bieber. What have we done to be punished so.

I have edited the DinoToyBlog review titles to reflect this, and added the 'lines' to the titles as well.

The second Bieber is a reissue in the museum line and it came with a baby stegosaur.

How can it be a reissue if its it's a different sculpt? It looks like a different sculpt to me, see this comparison in B @Bokisaurus' review:

SidB

I have both (Biber and Bieber). They are quite different sculpts.

thomasw100

I actually meant update rather than reissue. Like with the Yangshuanosaurus. This came first in the Museum Line together with the Chungkingosaurus and then we had the updates last autumn.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: thomasw100 on March 09, 2024, 12:49:15 PMI actually meant update rather than reissue. Like with the Yangshuanosaurus. This came first in the Museum Line together with the Chungkingosaurus and then we had the updates last autumn.

Update suggests the new model is based on the old one, which may be the case, but I don't know. To me it looks like a brand new Stegosaurus model rather than an update.

Libraraptor

Gwangi

Carnegie Miragaia
Invicta Stegosaurus
Kaiyodo Huayangosaurus
Rebor Stegosaurus
Tyco Kentrosaurus
Tyco Stegosaurus
Haolonggood Dacentrurus
Haolonggood Wuerhosaurus
PNSO, Prehistoric Animal Models, Miragaia
PNSO, Prehistoric Animal Models, Tuojiangosaurus

DinoToyForum

Sim

I'm surprised there's no Stegosaurus figure in first place!  I'm also surprised to see the large PNSO Tuojiangosaurus doing so well!  I think the PNSO museum series Stegosaurus is a much better figure than the Tuojiangosaurus.

Halichoeres

Stegosaurus has steeper competition. I think for most people it isn't really possible to be objective, so it ends up being 'what am I most glad exists?' Given that there are very few good Tuojiangosaurus figures, it doesn't surprise me that PNSO's flawed-but-worthy version beats out a lot of highly accurate and attractive Stegosaurus figures.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

I'm happy to see the two best Stegosaurus figures are catching up!  The Safari 2019 Stegosaurus should be higher than the PNSO Tuojiangosaurus I think.

Gwangi

I voted for three Stegosaurus figures and none of them would win an accuracy contest. Invicta, Rebor, and Tyco. Accuracy is not the only metric through which to judge a dinosaur toy. Certainly not for me. I just don't like the Safari Stegosaurus. No matter what kind of mental gymnastics I do to convince myself that it's good because it is accurate, I just don't like it, not more than the ones I voted for anyway, including the Tuojiangosaurus. And the Tuojiangosaurus is fine. What are it's issues? The neck is too short? Corncob texture? I can live with it. It is infinitely more convincing as a living thing than the Safari Stegosaurus.

Concavenator

Quote from: Gwangi on March 12, 2024, 07:25:32 PMWhat are it's issues? The neck is too short? Corncob texture?

Wrong plate morphology and inaccurate proportions (compare to Hartman's 2013 skeletal here).

Plus the oversized scales as you mention. The wrong plates in particular is a noticeable inaccuracy I'd say.

I agree with avatar_Sim @Sim in that both Safari's and PNSO's Stegosaurus are better figures, and easily so in my opinion. In particular, I think the Safari one is very underrated. Still my favorite version of the species to date. I have it and really love it, even if some people may say it's drab. It doesn't boast fine scaling like modern PNSO/Haolonggood/Eofauna figures, etc, but still has that wrinkly style that couldn't be labelled as inaccurate. Carnegie and Battat both had a similar style. Plus, it's based on Sophie! What's not to love?  :))

(Just kidding, I understand that not everyone likes the same things).  :P

Sim

Quote from: Gwangi on March 12, 2024, 07:25:32 PMAccuracy is not the only metric through which to judge a dinosaur toy. Certainly not for me.
You're right that accuracy isn't the only thing to judge a figure with.  I thought that the two most accurate Stegosaurus figures were so good overall that the votes should reflect that, but it's good to know of a differing opinion.

Quote from: Gwangi on March 12, 2024, 07:25:32 PMI just don't like the Safari Stegosaurus. No matter what kind of mental gymnastics I do to convince myself that it's good because it is accurate, I just don't like it, not more than the ones I voted for anyway, including the Tuojiangosaurus.
Why don't you like the Safari 2019 Stegosaurus?  I'm surprised to hear you don't, I thought everyone liked it except me when its colouration was changed to the existing one, which I eventually got over.  I'm interested in knowing why you don't like it.

Quote from: Gwangi on March 12, 2024, 07:25:32 PMAnd the Tuojiangosaurus is fine. What are it's issues? The neck is too short? Corncob texture? I can live with it. It is infinitely more convincing as a living thing than the Safari Stegosaurus.
I made a comparison to Scott Hartman's Tuojiangosaurus too but avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator posted it while I was working on it, so I'll reduce what I'll say to: I thought the Tuojiangosaurus was fine too until it was pointed out to me that its plates should be straight.  Comparing it to Scott Hartman's skeletal of Tuojiangosaurus, the plates of the PNSO figure look quite different, not just in shape (straight vs bent) but also in arrangement (notice how different the position of the plate sizes is (e.g. the longest in the skeletal being about halfway while on the PNSO they are at the back of the animal), also the PNSO Tuojiangosaurus is missing a pair of plates.  The PNSO figure also has an outdated body shape (the skeletal above shows the modern consensus on its body shape).
I also find the way only some of its feature scales are painted in a different colour in that line arrangement looks unnatural.  I will agree to disagree on the PNSO Tuojiangosaurus looking more convincing as a real animal than the Safari 2019 Stegosaurus.  I've owned both and the Safari figure is slightly more realistic-looking to me (ignoring accuracy which the Safari figure has more of).

Gwangi

Quote from: Sim on March 12, 2024, 08:09:04 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on March 12, 2024, 07:25:32 PMAccuracy is not the only metric through which to judge a dinosaur toy. Certainly not for me.
You're right that accuracy isn't the only thing to judge a figure with.  I thought that the two most accurate Stegosaurus figures were so good overall that the votes should reflect that, but it's good to know of a differing opinion.

Quote from: Gwangi on March 12, 2024, 07:25:32 PMI just don't like the Safari Stegosaurus. No matter what kind of mental gymnastics I do to convince myself that it's good because it is accurate, I just don't like it, not more than the ones I voted for anyway, including the Tuojiangosaurus.
Why don't you like the Safari 2019 Stegosaurus?  I'm surprised to hear you don't, I thought everyone liked it except me when its colouration was changed to the existing one, which I eventually got over.  I'm interested in knowing why you don't like it.

Quote from: Gwangi on March 12, 2024, 07:25:32 PMAnd the Tuojiangosaurus is fine. What are it's issues? The neck is too short? Corncob texture? I can live with it. It is infinitely more convincing as a living thing than the Safari Stegosaurus.
I made a comparison to Scott Hartman's Tuojiangosaurus too but avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator posted it while I was working on it, so I'll reduce what I'll say to: I thought the Tuojiangosaurus was fine too until it was pointed out to me that its plates should be straight.  Comparing it to Scott Hartman's skeletal of Tuojiangosaurus, the plates of the PNSO figure look quite different, not just in shape (straight vs bent) but also in arrangement (notice how different the position of the plate sizes is (e.g. the longest in the skeletal being about halfway while on the PNSO they are at the back of the animal), also the PNSO Tuojiangosaurus is missing a pair of plates.  The PNSO figure also has an outdated body shape (the skeletal above shows the modern consensus on its body shape).
I also find the way only some of its feature scales are painted in a different colour in that line arrangement looks unnatural.  I will agree to disagree on the PNSO Tuojiangosaurus looking more convincing as a real animal than the Safari 2019 Stegosaurus.  I've owned both and the Safari figure is slightly more realistic-looking to me (ignoring accuracy which the Safari figure has more of).

With Safari's it's mostly the paintjob. And I shouldn't say I don't like it, I just don't like it enough to drop $30 on it or put it in my top 10. It doesn't wow me, even though it should. Maybe if I ever see it in person my opinion will improve. I think that if HLG or PSNO made a Sophie styled Stegosaurus I would like it more. I must admit though, I very much love the classic look of Stegosaurus, which is what draws me to Rebor's.

As for Tuojiangosaurus, I guess ignorance is (or was) bliss. There's clearly room in the market for better. But I think I'll always have a soft spot for PNSO's because it represents a time when PNSO was just starting to produce affordable and decently accurate figures unlike anything we really saw before. I remember it being highly praised, at least initially. I will keep it in my top 10. I also don't like the painting on the feature scales.

Sim

Thanks for the explanations avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi.  I too don't like the Safari Stegosaurus's colouration, although I'm neutral about it now.  I really disliked it at first and even now I don't understand why it was chosen over something more impressive.

triceratops83

That was a tough choice. There are a lot of good stegosaur figures.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Sim

The PNSO museum series Stegosaurus is now tied with the PNSO Miragaia in second place, only one vote behind the Haolonggood Dacentrurus!  I would have liked seeing the Safari 2019 Stegosaurus higher than it currently is.  I'm pleased to see the CollectA Gigantspinosaurus holding its own, CollectA should make one or more other stegosaurians.  PNSO too.

Sim

There's a tie for first place!  We can't have that, or can we?

SidB

Quote from: Sim on April 29, 2024, 01:49:58 PMThere's a tie for first place!  We can't have that, or can we?
This is like being at the racetrack, and it's a lot less expensive too!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: