News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on March 09, 2024, 08:29:33 PMNow that I think about it, does anyone think it is odd we haven't gotten any new medium sized HC figures this year? There's still quite a bit they could do in that size class.

Blue hasn't really been widely released and she had issues, I think they are cutting back on the Dimetrodon as well since it had a lot of QC issues too.

The Pyroraptor I think is still scheduled, Claire from FK..sigh.  The Therizino should be around the size of the Carno, it's smaller than the main line figure. Giga should be a large size figure.

Flaffy

Quote from: crazy8wizard on March 02, 2024, 09:26:34 PMConsidering how much of a pain it is to get a Kenner Ornithosuchus, this would be awesome

I still wonder if it's harder to acquire the cancelled Series 2 Ornithosuchus, or the prototype with the dino tracker.

Eatmycar

Hasbro did some garish redecos... but that dinosaur hunter might take the cake.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That was what? T-Rex Turner? At least part of him?

Eatmycar

You know, I think it's a mix of him (head) and Roland Tembo? I may be wrong since I don't collect retro JP merch... but I'm pretty sure that's Tembo's body at least.

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on March 03, 2024, 02:49:49 PMOrnithosuchus seemed to be relatively popular back in the 80s and the early 90s. Sad that it doesn't get any attention nowadays.

I had a chance to get the brown version back in the day. Sure wish I had done so. Same with the Lycaenops.

Didn't realize the blue was harder to get, it's the only one I was able to find.

And I would really like to see a new take on Lycaenops too

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Eatmycar on March 10, 2024, 04:16:14 AMYou know, I think it's a mix of him (head) and Roland Tembo? I may be wrong since I don't collect retro JP merch... but I'm pretty sure that's Tembo's body at least.

I don't have all of the figures I had when I was a kid, I do have Turner but I think I lost Tembo during the move when my mom passed away.

Halichoeres

Obviously not Mattel, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread.

A $400 prop shaving cream can with dino DNA test tubes inside:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/235910?o=7

Who buys this stuff? (I'm not incredulous that someone would want a prop, only that someone would spend $400 on it!)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

andrewsaurus rex

Does it spray shaving cream (non-menthol of course)?

Halichoeres

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on March 18, 2024, 05:14:29 PMDoes it spray shaving cream (non-menthol of course)?

For that price, it better dispense champagne!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Eatmycar

I always have a laugh when I see JP props, especially from the animatronics go for ludicrous prices online.

I can most likely buy a cast of a REAL dinosaur tooth or bone for cheaper than some screen used prop!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 18, 2024, 04:33:34 PMObviously not Mattel, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread.

A $400 prop shaving cream can with dino DNA test tubes inside:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/235910?o=7

Who buys this stuff? (I'm not incredulous that someone would want a prop, only that someone would spend $400 on it!)

I bought one. Props can command very high prices.  I wanted a replica of the Barbasol can for quite a while, glad to finally have a nice, machined one, not a cheap 3D printed version. It even "pops" like in the film, minus the sfx.

I even built this display for it and my 1:1 Dilophosaurus bust.

Prehistory Resurrection

Is this an official product or a custom? Can't tell but there's a leaked image of a supposedly Hammond Collection Sinoceratops with the Concavenator and Carnotaurus from the same line;

MLMjp

If it is real, thank god for the Habitat Defender Trike cause its freaking huge! Too big honestly.

Doesn't really matter, I'll pass on it if is real, as the original is still a great representation and I don't need the HC upgrade, unlike Stegosaurus... Should have made that one first

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've seen it being announced/teased on the various news sites/pages. Those reports seem to be based on this image. It looks pretty large for sure maybe bigger than it should be? I need to watch that FK scene again. Actually it might be an optical illusion? The frill looks to just be a little taller than the carno in that pose, around 7"? Maybe as long as the Carno too.  It does look poesable, but the seams look pretty bad. Not sure Mattel would do that rough of a job.

Carnoking

Am I the only one who thinks it looks a little "rendered?" Granted, the image is pretty low res but the Sino still looks a bit too clean. That, and it doesn't really look like it's standing on that table.

MLMjp

A potential Diplodocus figure has surfaced:

Paint seem right for Mattel (ignore the yellow, it's from a watermark).The body looks suspiciously similar to Mamenchisaurus, including the position of the legs.

A custom fake or a potential retool?

A @andrewsaurus rex you were desperate for a new sauropod, but keep you hopes low in case is fake.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on March 19, 2024, 03:45:40 PMAm I the only one who thinks it looks a little "rendered?" Granted, the image is pretty low res but the Sino still looks a bit too clean. That, and it doesn't really look like it's standing on that table.

Yeah  I was looking at that too. The fuzziness could be hiding a bad cut/paste job. :?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on March 19, 2024, 03:49:14 PMA potential Diplodocus figure has surfaced:

Paint seem right for Mattel (ignore the yellow, it's from a watermark).The body looks suspiciously similar to Mamenchisaurus, including the position of the legs.

A custom fake or a potential retool?

A @andrewsaurus rex you were desperate for a new sauropod, but keep you hopes low in case is fake.

If that is a real piece color me impressed enough to get it.

Looking at my Mamenchi here the body, neck, and tail are new or heavily modified files of the Mamenchi.  The back legs are different too, the front legs look almost identical except maybe smaller/thinner better proportioned than the larger thicker legs on the Mamenchi. If this is photoshop I can see that being done, if it's a custom then it's a total rework of the original it was based on, not unheard of. 

I'm leaning toward it being real as Mattel has taken existing models and modified them before.

Carnoking

That actually looks pretty great! One of the best painted/proportioned sauropods Mattel has done (if it is indeed real)

I told myself no more of these big pieces unless it has a film tie in but this would be too nice to skip

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: