News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

I have the Battat one too but it is not on display, the Galileo Hernandez one has that honor. I took Battat's out after this announcement to study it for a bit. It's quite good for its age but I'm finding it difficult to retain Battat figures as more modern and refined versions of an animal are released. I still display my favorites, like the T. rex, Parasaurolophus, and Styracosaurus, but the Euoplocephalus didn't make the cut. Another reason I might get Haolonggood's.

In this instance I'm leaning towards orange. Love the contrast between the body color and osteoderms. Something I've been wondering about lately though, virtually all ankylosaur reconstructions show the osteoderms covered in keratin. Is there any evidence that they they were covered in skin instead? It seems more likely to me. It's literally in the name.

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on April 16, 2024, 01:51:05 PM
Quote from: suspsy on April 16, 2024, 01:23:21 PMBoth versions look fabulous, but I see no need to replace my Battat Euoplocephalus.
I have both the old and new versions of that classic and will absolutely hold onto them.

I have my unpainted Battat Euoplocephalus, and was gonna track down the Terra one at some point. But secretly was hoping for someone to do a more accurate version, to which HLG has delivered!

I believe Battat's Euoplocephalus is missing a row/ring of neck osteoderms?

bmathison1972

I am also excited for this Euoplocephalus and will have a hard time picking a color!  :o

Ludodactylus

I forget that some collectors have a strict "one figure per species" policy. I can see the appeal of that approach but at least with Euoplocephalus I can't do it.

The Terra by Battat Euoplocephalus was the second figure I bought when I began my collection and could be argued to be the point where I went from "having a toy dinosaur" to "collecting toy dinosaurs." It will always have an emotional place in my collection but the heavy, glossy paint job stands out negatively next to my PNSO, Papo and Eofauna figures.

I also definitely have an emotional attachment to the genus - when I was a kid, all the "good" ankylosaur toys I had were Euoplocephalus and it was in all of the books I had, usually depicted with a green, shell-like back and a tan or ochre underbelly. So as a kid it was always the coolest Ankylosaur to me and some of that feeling still lingers.

So I definitely have room for more than one Euoplocephalus in my collection.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Gwangi

Quote from: Ludodactylus on April 16, 2024, 05:33:06 PMI forget that some collectors have a strict "one figure per species" policy. I can see the appeal of that approach but at least with Euoplocephalus I can't do it.

The Terra by Battat Euoplocephalus was the second figure I bought when I began my collection and could be argued to be the point where I went from "having a toy dinosaur" to "collecting toy dinosaurs." It will always have an emotional place in my collection but the heavy, glossy paint job stands out negatively next to my PNSO, Papo and Eofauna figures.

I also definitely have an emotional attachment to the genus - when I was a kid, all the "good" ankylosaur toys I had were Euoplocephalus and it was in all of the books I had, usually depicted with a green, shell-like back and a tan or ochre underbelly. So as a kid it was always the coolest Ankylosaur to me and some of that feeling still lingers.

So I definitely have room for more than one Euoplocephalus in my collection.

I don't have a strict rule but with rapidly diminishing space in my display cabinet I need to be more selective. If I already have a decent figure of a genus I'm less inclined to buy another. I do make exceptions though, and that will probably be the case here because I'm also fond of Euoplocephalus.

Ludodactylus

Yeah, space is a big factor in why I haven't added anything new in 8 months. Getting ready to move to a bigger space and winnowing down my current collection has me opening back up to new acquisitions.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Sim

Quote from: Gwangi on April 16, 2024, 03:22:56 PMSomething I've been wondering about lately though, virtually all ankylosaur reconstructions show the osteoderms covered in keratin. Is there any evidence that they they were covered in skin instead? It seems more likely to me. It's literally in the name.
The Zuul and Borealopelta specimens have osteoderms that have their keratin sheaths preserved.

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim is right. This is a very good, albeit long video that explains the preserved integument for Borealopelta (I imagine the paper covers this is as well, but this nicely breaks it down). It's also worth mentioning that Borealopelta was also preserved with quite an extensive amount of scales covering the body around the osteoderms. The video also compares the osteoderms of Borealopelta to crocodilians, and the shoulder spikes to horns for what it is worth, to give ideas on what the integument was like.

The 18 min mark starts the integument discussion, although a later part of the video goes over the horn like shoulder spikes:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

bmathison1972

I have a one-figure-per species rule (or genus for dinosaurs), but one must keep in mind I collect extinct and extant taxa with an emphasis on arthropods. For arthropods, I do not have a one-per rule (but I am becoming more selective when it comes to figures out of Japan/Asia)

Gwangi

Thanks avatar_Sim @Sim and avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin. I tried doing a Google search but didn't come up with much, but I also didn't get the time to do the deep dive on this I had been planning.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Gwangi on April 16, 2024, 03:22:56 PMSomething I've been wondering about lately though, virtually all ankylosaur reconstructions show the osteoderms covered in keratin. Is there any evidence that they they were covered in skin instead? It seems more likely to me. It's literally in the name.

Other people have explained well, but I just wanted to add that it seems like for basal species like Scelidosaurus they might have actually been covered in skin instead, which is quite interesting. So the keratin covering seems to be a more derived thyreophoran trait.

thomasw100

Paleofiguras published the official release images of the Mamenchisaurus. What a beauty. Just stunning.

thomasw100

Paleofiguras published more pictures of the Euoplocephalus. This looks like in hand pictures.

thomasw100

Even more pictures of the Mamenchisaurus.

Carnoking

Man, all those Mamenchis just grow on you, don't they? Another impossible choice!

Ludodactylus

The Mamenchi is beautiful but might be a pass for me just on size. We'll see what my space looks like in September.

The new photos of Euoplocephalus really gave me excited.

Samrukia

could someone please explain the following quote on the promo images:

RECENT, MORE DRAMATIC USE OF CGI WAS SEEN IN WALKING WITH DINOSAURS

Paleo Flo

The blue one and green one are wonderful...that's the essence of why I love this hobby.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Pliosaurking

Haolonggood does a fantastic job on their herbivores, and these are no exception! I think the blue is my favourite but they are all beautiful!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Samrukia on April 17, 2024, 12:52:46 PMcould someone please explain the following quote on the promo images:

RECENT, MORE DRAMATIC USE OF CGI WAS SEEN IN WALKING WITH DINOSAURS

Where was it mentioned? Sounds like an old quote or a misuse.

Poor Chasmo is gonna get stomped on lol unless they are carefully protecting him in the center of their "herd" lol

The outdoor shot looks great, one reason I like have my sauropods at eye level or above.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: