You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Jurassic World Film!!!! 😀

Started by Giganotosaurus, January 22, 2024, 08:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

JURASSIC WORLD---Jonathan Bailey (BRIDGERTON) is in talks to co-star in the sequel with Scarlett Johansson, and a rumor claims Dev Patel and Colman Domingo are also in talks to co-star.

HD-man

Possible spoilers after 4:00:
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Blade-of-the-Moon

If they go the prequel route could Dev Patel play a younger Masrani?

We really have no idea when this film will be set or where as of yet.  They should be locking down this cast soon too though right?

DinoToyForum

I moved the off-topic general discussion about diversity and inclusivity in movies to the general section: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=11396

Bread

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 17, 2024, 04:17:21 PMIf they go the prequel route could Dev Patel play a younger Masrani?

We really have no idea when this film will be set or where as of yet.  They should be locking down this cast soon too though right?
With the JP game that is in the works, taking place literally right after the first film, I'm hoping for a prequel.

It would be the first of its kind in this movie franchise. We've gotten hints from Hammond, Muldoon, Henry, etc. how things went down prior to the first film, but we've never seen those events occur on screen.

Flaffy

Quote from: Bread on April 18, 2024, 07:20:11 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 17, 2024, 04:17:21 PMIf they go the prequel route could Dev Patel play a younger Masrani?

With the JP game that is in the works, taking place literally right after the first film, I'm hoping for a prequel.

It would be the first of its kind in this movie franchise. We've gotten hints from Hammond, Muldoon, Henry, etc. how things went down prior to the first film, but we've never seen those events occur on screen.

There is loads of story potential in the founding of Jurassic World. Would love to see Patel as a young Masrani too, such an interesting character only to be killed off after a quick few scenes.

PumperKrickel

I don't think there's much potential for prequels at all. Whenever people die or get injured, the park is permanently shut down. Since Jurassic World was operational for years, we already know that not much happened during the early days.

The whole point of the World trilogy was to basically establish a sandbox to play in. The modern world, but dinosaurs are everywhere now. Why abandon such a rich potential in favor of a story we already know?

Flaffy

Quote from: PumperKrickel on April 18, 2024, 07:54:21 PMI don't think there's much potential for prequels at all. Whenever people die or get injured, the park is permanently shut down. Since Jurassic World was operational for years, we already know that not much happened during the early days.

I recall there was some lore behind the ecological collapse of Isla Sorna? Due to Masrani Corp. pillaging the island for fauna. There could be stories to tell there IMO.

QuoteThe whole point of the World trilogy was to basically establish a sandbox to play in. The modern world, but dinosaurs are everywhere now. Why abandon such a rich potential in favor of a story we already know?

They certainly had the chance with JWD, but squandered that potential immensely. I am in favour of a Jurassic TV series however, where each episode will be a monster-of-the-week (or in this case dinosaur) where the crew will have to figure out how to deal with the invasive paleofauna.

Monarch Legacy of Monsters showed that this is not an impossible arrangement. The major films dealing with spectacle, while the TV series serves to expand the world building and lore.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on April 18, 2024, 07:30:22 PM
Quote from: Bread on April 18, 2024, 07:20:11 PM

There is loads of story potential in the founding of Jurassic World. Would love to see Patel as a young Masrani too, such an interesting character only to be killed off after a quick few scenes.

Totally agree. There was a good story in the Evolution of Claire book that told a bit about it. Some accidents do happen. Masrani was a great likeable character, I was pretty shocked to see him die on screen in the crash.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on April 18, 2024, 08:06:55 PM
Quote from: PumperKrickel on April 18, 2024, 07:54:21 PMI don't think there's much potential for prequels at all. Whenever people die or get injured, the park is permanently shut down. Since Jurassic World was operational for years, we already know that not much happened during the early days.

I recall there was some lore behind the ecological collapse of Isla Sorna? Due to Masrani Corp. pillaging the island for fauna. There could be stories to tell there IMO.

QuoteThe whole point of the World trilogy was to basically establish a sandbox to play in. The modern world, but dinosaurs are everywhere now. Why abandon such a rich potential in favor of a story we already know?

They certainly had the chance with JWD, but squandered that potential immensely. I am in favour of a Jurassic TV series however, where each episode will be a monster-of-the-week (or in this case dinosaur) where the crew will have to figure out how to deal with the invasive paleofauna.

Monarch Legacy of Monsters showed that this is not an impossible arrangement. The major films dealing with spectacle, while the TV series serves to expand the world building and lore.

There are always..accidents. That occur in the novels, other books, comics, ect.. that are covered up or blamed on other things.  Sorna is a big question mark still despite what hints we've been given to it's current state. The Spinosaur was blamed, disease is an issue, taking dinos off the island and moving them to at least two diff locations per Camp Cretaceous..poachers, just a lot of chaotic elements in there.

I do wish we had received a tv series ala Monarch to deal with the whole "dinosaurs are loose" scenario. That's what everyone wanted instead they just skipped over it. I sort of hope this new film rewrites that aspect. With Malta being in it again I'm betting on black market dealings. So poachers might be on the table?

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Am I the only one who really wants a show of some sort set before Jurassic World failed? I really wanna see more about what the park was like and all the species that lived there. Not to mention there could be some drama with maybe some sort of Sorna related conspiracy.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on April 19, 2024, 05:56:23 AMAm I the only one who really wants a show of some sort set before Jurassic World failed? I really wanna see more about what the park was like and all the species that lived there. Not to mention there could be some drama with maybe some sort of Sorna related conspiracy.

Sort of like is mentioned in Camp Cretaceous? Yeah I could see that working.  I think it's pretty much too late to go back before Jurassic Park unless they just reboot it.  I can't say I wouldn't like a novel based film..

DefinitelyNOTDilo

A more novel accurate reboot with modern designs would be incredible.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on April 19, 2024, 06:59:39 AMA more novel accurate reboot with modern designs would be incredible.

How about a George Lucas-style Special Edition of the original, where they go in and redo just the special effects with modern designs. :) They could also correct the few minor continuity errors and other little things like that in the film, e.g. CGI some mud onto the sole's of Grant's boots as he's climbing the perimeter fence.

Maybe there would be a way to somehow edit or amend the end Control Room scene to avoid/explain the odd part where Ellie can't reach the gun, but doesn't ask Tim to pass it to her, as he is just watching Lex boot the system. I don't know how you'd do it - maybe somehow make Tim essential to booting up the security system so it becomes a two-person job?

I don't think there would be any merit to an actual reboot since JP is close to being a perfect film, and Jurassic World was already a soft reboot of Jurassic Park: a dinosaur theme park where the dinosaurs break loose and eat the tourists.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: DinoToyForum on April 19, 2024, 11:14:33 AM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on April 19, 2024, 06:59:39 AMA more novel accurate reboot with modern designs would be incredible.

How about a George Lucas-style Special Edition of the original, where they go in and redo just the special effects with modern designs. :) They could also correct the few minor continuity errors and other little things like that in the film, e.g. CGI some mud onto the sole's of Grant's boots as he's climbing the perimeter fence.

Maybe there would be a way to somehow edit or amend the end Control Room scene to avoid/explain the odd part where Ellie can't reach the gun, but doesn't ask Tim to pass it to her, as he is just watching Lex boot the system. I don't know how you'd do it - maybe somehow make Tim essential to booting up the security system so it becomes a two-person job?

I don't think there would be any merit to an actual reboot since JP is close to being a perfect film, and Jurassic World was already a soft reboot of Jurassic Park: a dinosaur theme park where the dinosaurs break loose and eat the tourists.

Can't wait to see Ludlow shoot first in the re-edit
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Ludodactylus

Sam Neill and Laura Dern were and are good-looking people but they're "Hollywood ordinary"; I don't think the Hollywood of the 2020s would be brave enough to cast non-heartthrob actors in those roles.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

stargatedalek

Hard disagree with there being no point to a reboot. The point would be to have it follow the plot from the novel and not remake the plot of the movie, which is very different.

As much as I like the original JP, it is very far from a perfect movie. I would argue it's a nearly perfect execution of a deeply flawed premise. The film changes a lot of motivations and changes the moral of the movie to something I actually take great personal issue with. The book is an anti-capitalist narrative, about how science will be appropriated and misused for profit with corners being cut. The book goes to great lengths to establish that if it was built sensibly, designed to the recommendations of actual zookeepers, and maintained by hiring more people instead of automated cameras, it would have worked out fine. The movie removes all of that, makes Hammond not the main villain, and paints a narrative of "it's hubris to try and control nature" making the failure of the park look like an inevitability, which changes the meaning from anti-capitalist to anti-science or even anti-zoo.

That being said, I think a TV series would be a better choice for a more novel accurate JP retelling. It avoids confusing people by "cannibalizing" the movie timeline movies, which clearly Universal was no plans on walking back any time soon. And it gives them more freedom to lean darker which you'd need to do to keep it to the books tone.

HD-man

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 19, 2024, 06:55:14 AM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on April 19, 2024, 05:56:23 AMAm I the only one who really wants a show of some sort set before Jurassic World failed? I really wanna see more about what the park was like and all the species that lived there. Not to mention there could be some drama with maybe some sort of Sorna related conspiracy.

Sort of like is mentioned in Camp Cretaceous?

The 1st 3 episodes in fact ;)

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 19, 2024, 05:09:32 PMThe movie removes all of that, makes Hammond not the main villain, and paints a narrative of "it's hubris to try and control nature" making the failure of the park look like an inevitability, which changes the meaning from anti-capitalist to anti-science or even anti-zoo.

Sorry to repeat myself & be the "actually" guy, "but it seems like you're misremembering JP. I'm especially surprised by the "anti-science or even anti-zoo" claim, given how explicitly it's disproven by 1 of the best dialogue scenes (specifically, the condor argument)": https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=11253.msg366677#msg366677

QuoteThat being said, I think a TV series would be a better choice for a more novel accurate JP retelling.

That reminds me, I thought I already quoted "My dino media wishlist" ( https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9979.msg307793#msg307793 ), but I guess not:
QuoteMore faithful adaptations of Crichton's "Jurassic Park" & "Lost World" novels. More specifically: 1) They'd be better as a series like "Westworld" on HBO; 2) They'd be better if the dinos were mostly accurate for today's time ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj1pOgaXTf4&t=246s ), similar to how the novels' dinos were mostly accurate for their time ( https://jurassicpark.fandom.com/wiki/Isla_Sorna_(novel_canon) ); 3) They'd be better if the original Lex character was cut altogether; At best, she adds nothing; At worst, she ruins the experience ( https://babbletrish.blogspot.com/2013/08/so-reading-jurassic-park-in-2013-is.html ); In other words, cutting her would greatly improve the experience without changing anything important (I.e. Major plot points or dino/character interactions).*

*4/23/24 UPDATE: I've since gotten feedback on #3. To clarify, I'm also open to cutting Tim & giving all his traits to Lex (I.e. Making her an older/only child & a dino/computer nerd).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

PumperKrickel

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 19, 2024, 05:09:32 PMThe book goes to great lengths to establish that if it was built sensibly, designed to the recommendations of actual zookeepers, and maintained by hiring more people instead of automated cameras, it would have worked out fine. The movie removes all of that, makes Hammond not the main villain, and paints a narrative of "it's hubris to try and control nature" making the failure of the park look like an inevitability, which changes the meaning from anti-capitalist to anti-science or even anti-zoo.

I never got the feeling that the park's failure was inevitable. The storm and subsequent evacuation of staff led to nobody being there to lessen the impact of Nedry's sabotage. And since Nedry himself couldn't return to bring the park back online like he had planned, the dinosaurs escaped. It was a perfect storm of everything going wrong.

I don't really need a reboot, since most of the stuff that was cut from the first movie was used in later movies anyway.

Flaffy

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 19, 2024, 05:09:32 PMThat being said, I think a TV series would be a better choice for a more novel accurate JP retelling. It avoids confusing people by "cannibalizing" the movie timeline movies, which clearly Universal was no plans on walking back any time soon. And it gives them more freedom to lean darker which you'd need to do to keep it to the books tone.

A high budget TV series is definitely the way to go. Would give plenty of breathing room for the book to be adapted faithfully, and not encroach on the main movie franchise.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: